PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville Soccer

hollywood
03-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Congrats to both the Jackets and Bees soccer teams on their 2nd round playoff victories!

Jackets beat Mansfield Summit in a shootout 4-3 on Tuesday and beat FW Trimble Tech 4-3 Thursday. Face Bburleson Centennial next week in Aledo.

Bees beat Mansfield Summit 2-0 Tuesday and beat FW South Hills Thursday 3-0. FWSH had a freshman forward who scored 77 goals this season. Shut her down! Defense wins championships.

I will say the Stephenville soccer program is getting stronger through good coaching but more importantly through the youth soccer program that continues to grow.

defense51
03-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Soccer is steadily growing in popularity, and lots of scholarship money available especially for the ladies. Congrats to the Jackets and the Bees!

hollywood
04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Soccer is steadily growing in popularity, and lots of scholarship money available especially for the ladies. Congrats to the Jackets and the Bees!

Thanks D51! You're right, more opportunities for the girls in scholarships. It's truly a great sport.. some don't give it a chance. I've played all my life.

hollywood
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Soccer playoffs Round 3

Jackets vs Burleson Centennial - hearing game could be Friday
Bees vs Joshua - hearing game could be Thursday

Cam
04-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Yep, soccer definitely getting popular. Burnet doesn't have a soccer program but it has been brought up. It's a $$$ thing....I hope we see it eventually. There's alot of soccer playin' fools in this town....Even Greendawg has been known to kick it around from time to time...but he complains his sagging billy goat nuts get in the way too much!.....:ack!:

refereedoc
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Yep, soccer definitely getting popular. Burnet doesn't have a soccer program but it has been brought up. It's a $$$ thing....I hope we see it eventually. There's alot of soccer playin' fools in this town....Even Greendawg has been known to kick it around from time to time...but he complains his sagging billy goat nuts get in the way too much!.....:ack!:

That right there is funny!

Manso/V8
04-01-2013, 02:36 PM
soccer? yawn.......

Ville-D
04-01-2013, 03:21 PM
soccer? yawn.......

Bellville get knocked out? Or no team?

hollywood
04-01-2013, 03:26 PM
soccer? yawn.......

You're misinformed

BwdLion73
04-01-2013, 04:12 PM
soccer? yawn.......

I've watched enough soccer on "Most Shocking Videos" to know you better not get LC1799 and Hollywood started. :eek:

hollywood
04-01-2013, 05:11 PM
I've watched enough soccer on "Most Shocking Videos" to know you better not get LC1799 and Hollywood started. :eek:

:stirpot:

hollywood
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Bees joining Jackets for sectional doubleheader

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/high_school/image_8a865360-9b07-11e2-bd9d-001a4bcf887a.html

Bayleigh Chaviers and the Stephenville Honeybees will join the Yellow Jackets in Aledo for a 4A sectional playoff doubleheader Friday. The Honeybees will play at 5 p.m. at Bearcat Stadium, while the boys have been backed up to 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students.

roughneck_2008
04-01-2013, 05:50 PM

they will be making a 3a soccer begining the 2014/2015, so one more year away. Will help out some of the smaller schools that still play 4A districts, especially when a smaller town like West columbia plays a big houston suburb school that has atleast twice the kids to choose from. and will especially do well for a school like stephenville that has a strong growing program.

And good luck to the teams on their upcoming matches

Manso/V8
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
You're misinformed

Maybe so, probably more like preference rather than misinformed.
When I have a kid playing, it is tolerable.
Other than that, it is right down there near the bottom of spectator sports for me.

I have tried to learn to like it, tried to get excited about he World Cup and all that, but in the end, I don't really enjoy it.

I also suffer co-workers, usually foreigners, that go on and on about what a great game it is, and how soccer has the best athletes, etc.
I don't see it.

I do usually enjoy those "Women of the World Cup" photo galleries that feature female fans dressed in support of the team, especially the Brazilian gals!

FB-fanatic
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - 6'0 215 lbs and 2000 yards rushing - I give a huge credit to soccer for light, on-your-toes running and learned foot skills in traffic. Also, combining QB with kicker = 251 point scored. Endurance. Lateral vision. Very good second sport.

Manso/V8
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - 6'0 215 lbs and 2000 yards rushing - I give a huge credit to soccer for light, on-your-toes running and learned foot skills in traffic. Also, combining QB with kicker = 251 point scored. Endurance. Lateral vision. Very good second sport.

Basketball, track, and baseball are all good second sports......depending on the football position.
Soccer is a good second sport for kickers.

FB-fanatic
04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Basketball, track, and baseball are all good second sports......depending on the football position.
Soccer is a good second sport for kickers.

Again, soccer helps with balance, cutting, endurance... and kicking. I would say soccer contribute 2-fold what baseball contributes, unless we are talking about the standing around part of football..... wait a minute, there is no standing around part in football. And if you say baseball contributes on the weights, most guys use baseball as an excuse *not* to do weights.

Manso/V8
04-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Again, soccer helps with balance, cutting, endurance... and kicking. I would say soccer contribute 2-fold what baseball contributes, unless we are talking about the standing around part of football..... wait a minute, there is no standing around part in football. And if you say baseball contributes on the weights, most guys use baseball as an excuse *not* to do weights.

Certain types of baseball players, pitchers and shortstops in particular, tend to crossover pretty well in to QB. Maybe it is just the strong arm and/or an innate ball IQ they possess, but their does seem to be some cross benefit. A few come to mind......the kid that played QB at Argyle last year and went straight in to pro baseball, Kohl Stewart at St. Pius, Johnny Manziel, and the QB at LaGrange this year are all good baseball players and good QB's.

hollywood
04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Stephenville soccer continues its postseason success tonight in Aledo! Another congrats goes out to the Jackets and Honeybees. Both played their 3rd round playoffs games in a double header in Aledo tonight.

Honeybees beat Joshua 1-0 in a very intense game that went down to the wire. Bees score with 45 seconds left in regulation to advance the next round! Both teams had chances throughout the game but it was the resilience of the Bees who were able to hold and punch in the game winning goal.

Jackets beat Burleson Centinnial in a shootout! After a 0-0 score in full time, the game went to OT. Playing 2 10 minute periods without a score and the game still tied 0-0, penalty kick shootout serves as another huge win for the Jackets. The Jackets score 3 to Burleson's 0.

Both advance to the 4th round next week. Honeybees take on winner of Denton Guyer/Birdville game played tonight while the Jackets take on Birdville.

Ville-D
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Stephenville soccer continues its postseason success tonight in Aledo! Another congrats goes out to the Jackets and Honeybees. Both played there 3rd round playoffs games in a double header in Aledo tonight.

Honeybees beat Joshua 1-0 in a very intense game that went down to the wire. Bees score with 45 seconds left in regulation to advance the next round! Both teams had chances throughout the game but it was the resilience of the Bees who were able to hold and punch in the game winning goal.

Jackets beat Burleson Centinnial in a shootout! After a 0-0 score in full time, the game went to OT. Playing 2 10 minute periods without a score and the game still tied 0-0, penalty kick shootout serves as another huge win for the Jackets. The Jackets score 3 to Burleson's 0.

Honeybees take on winner of Denton Guyer/Birdville game played tonight while the Jackets take on Birdville.

Thanks for the update.

hollywood
04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Has anyone ever witnessed a flip thrown in soccer?!

Stephenville's Alex Sanchez, who played a key role on the football team as a slot receiver, executes this acrobatic play to perfection. Once a throw in is given within 40 yards of the opposing teams goal, he's given the go ahead to use it. They've scored several times using it.

Check it out in a tournament earlier this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkEsMU35-E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

hollywood
04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the update.

:wave:

defense51
04-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Stephenville's Alex Sanchez, who played a key role on the football team as a slot receiver, executes this acrobatic play to perfection. Once a throw in is given within 40 yards of the opposing teams goal, he's given the go ahead to use it. They've scored several times using it.

I saw a young man from Venus execute this a couple of times last year, it's impressive!

defense51
04-06-2013, 12:04 PM

I saw a young man from Venus execute this a couple of times last year, it's impressive!

Manso/V8
04-06-2013, 03:34 PM

That's a cool move.
Do they have to throw in with both hands, or can they use one hand?

I wonder much distance advantage the flip throw gives.

FB-fanatic
04-06-2013, 09:52 PM
That's a cool move.
Do they have to throw in with both hands, or can they use one hand?

I wonder much distance advantage the flip throw gives.

Ball has to be touching two hands when released. The ball must pass behind the head and travel straight over the head. Good throw-in guys can deliver the ball about 5 yards over and inside the 18 box, but a flip throw adds about 8-10 feet to the throw.

Eagle11
04-08-2013, 07:55 AM
yes i have. its most often used by female players because they cant throw the ball into the box. you will never see it in college or the pro's by a male player.

hollywood
04-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Story on the Honeybee Soccer victory Friday night.

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/high_school/article_ee33a3a6-9e7a-11e2-b401-001a4bcf887a.html

hollywood
04-08-2013, 09:44 AM
More on both the Jackets and Honeybees soccer teams. Congrats to both for record setting seasons.

http://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/sports/high_school/collection_5a0c0558-9edc-11e2-b59d-0019bb2963f4.html

hollywood
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
yes i have. its most often used by female players because they cant throw the ball into the box. you will never see it in college or the pro's by a male player.

Sanchez can execute it from 40-50 yards out... uses it like a set piece (corner kick/free kick). I've seen it in the pros.. although you don't ever see it anymore.

hollywood
04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Congrats on a great playoff run for the Honeybees!

Stephenville girls lost to Denton Guyer 3-0.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/08/4759118/bad-luck-denton-guyers-skill-down.html

This team had good success against schools quite a bit larger. They are loaded with Fresh, Soph, and Jr talent. Future looks bright for Stephenville girls soccer.

Jackets play Birdville tonight.

roughneck_2008
04-09-2013, 09:05 AM

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/08/4759118/bad-luck-denton-guyers-skill-down.html

This team had good success against schools quite a bit larger. They are loaded with Fresh, Soph, and Jr talent. Future looks bright for Stephenville girls soccer.

Good season girls. They will surely be a force when 3A gets their own socer division and wont have to play school up to twice their size. It will be a new 3A soccer, or I guess if a 6A comes after alignment, then it will be 4A instead of 3A. either way, if they are doing that well against schools bigger then they will be a force when facing schools their size.

defense51
04-09-2013, 09:08 AM

A 3-0 loss to to Denton Guyer isn't a bad game at all, the Denton schools are VERY competitive every year in girls soccer. Congrats on a great season by Honeybees, I saw them twice this year and they were solid with very few weaknesses.