PDA

View Full Version : State Champs or District Champs?

MonkeyJoe
08-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Would you rather have your team win district 20 years in a row, but only go a few rounds deep in the playoffs each year, but still have established a good name for themselves. Or would u rather have one tremendous team that wins it all one yera but only be an average team the other 19 years, maybe squeeking themselves into a playoff spot once or twice.

true_blue_tiger
08-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Actually, I prefer answer C. Win our district 20 years in a row, while winnig a state championship or two.

Keith7
08-01-2003, 10:22 PM
C. wasnt an answer.. but i'd choose the state championships any day

PhiI C
08-01-2003, 10:25 PM
Actually that is a very good question. I tend to go with the consistency winning good part. A state championship is nice and everyone wants at least one but I would rather have twenty consistent good years rather than 19 bad years and one good year that has one state championship. That is just a preference. I remember many years ago the great football coach Mr. Ray Akins at Gregory-Portland who never was able to win the big one but said he would rather be consistently good year in and year out than to win one state championship and then have bad years. True he wanted a state championship like everyone does but he preferred being consistently good which his teams were.

PhiI C
08-01-2003, 10:39 PM
By the way like I said that was a good question but usually most teams that win state championships usually have good records consistently anyway. Does anyone know of any state championship team that won it all won year but had say 10 bad years before and after the state championship year? I don't know of any but maybe there are some.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Yes, Great question. I just had to give you a 5 star rating for this one!

Vernon had a run of something like 14 (not exactly sure how long the run was) straight years with a playoff appearance with two trips to the show and they won one of them. Even without that BIG win, when Vernon played other teams through that stretch you better believe that there was a psychological factor that one good state team couldn’t provide the teams of the future with. Some call it confidence, some call it a swagger or whatever, but it was there. So I would go with the dominate team over time, rather than one state team, unless I was a player on the state team!

audasmom7
08-02-2003, 01:54 AM
Hey does it matter how many you win or lose? It's the State Game that matters....all the others are all just games

Rabbit'93
08-02-2003, 08:51 AM
audasmom yes it does matter how many you win and lose. To teenagers it matters. Every game that I ever played in mattered. It's those "games" that lead you to where you want to go. The State game only matters to the people that happen to be fortunate to get there. It might be a game in week 7 of a kids junior year that matters to him. I just think that its alot bigger than just the State Finals is the only thing that matters. Just my Cha-Ching.

District303aPastPlayer
08-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Midland High hadnt made the playoffs in 51 years, then played in the Big Dance this past year...

Old Green
08-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Palacious won a stste Championship in 1964 and has has not made the playoffs since then. Their best record since then has only been a 6-4. that has only happened a couple of times.

trojandad
08-02-2003, 04:41 PM
That's the old "would you rather be the North star or a shooting star" question.

The faithful mailman who appreciates doing the same job faithfully everyday would appreciate the longivity more, whereas the President of the US looking for his place in history would want the home run to be remembered.

I would prefer the one trip to the top.

Old Green even made the point with Palacious, that '64 team has something 40 years of bad teams can never take away. They know what very few other teams know, the view from the top.

Yea, the trip to the top was, and is, worth all the sweat left on the field and, I believe, any number of bad teams afterward. Don't hire me to deliver your mail, though, I'd suck. eek! eek! eek!

LP57
08-02-2003, 04:56 PM
i dont think thats even a legitiment question. to me the only reason i play is to try and win a state ring. noone really remembers ppl who have average teams but ppl will remember state chapms till the end of time

pirate4state
08-02-2003, 08:03 PM
LP57:
i dont think thats even a legitiment question. to me the only reason i play is to try and win a state ring. noone really remembers ppl who have average teams but ppl will remember state chapms till the end of timeIt may not be a legit question to you, but it is a legit question & I believe that people do remember "average" teams. If your home team wins consistently and they make deep runs year in and year out they WILL BE REMEMBERED. While I understand that you play the game to win the "big one", this doesn't mean if you don't win the "big one" you won't be remembered. Case in point, Dan Marino, Barry Bonds, Patrick Ewing, etc...you see my point?? And before you say, "but they're not in high school" it's all relevant. These guys did not (and in Barry's case, has not) won the "big one" but they will be remembered. Granted they'll be remembered, for never winning it. wink :D

theyoefnshow
08-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Well Cameron has had over 2 decades of winning seasons but only 1 state ring back in '81. There have been 2 semi appearances, several quarterfinal appearances and district title after district title. I'd love to win another state game as much as the next fan but I don't think I'd trade it in place of a team that's great every so often. Like I've said before, outgunned, outmanned or outnumbered, Cameron players and fans expect a win, they don't hope for it. Anything else isn't accepted. Sure you'll be defeated from time to time but I just can't see it any other way.

big daddy russ
08-03-2003, 02:30 AM
I would definitely take longevity. Just my opinion. Ingleside is another team, like Midland High and Palacios, who made the run once and fizzled out. In 1964 we played in the Class A State Championship game, losing to Archer City 13-6. Since then, we've only made the playoffs once (1995). My teams always seemed to wind up in third and it would've been great to have gone to the playoffs just once. That's something that some people may take for granted.

<small>[ August 03, 2003, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

trojandad
08-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Ok, how many winning seasons did the Titans have?

Or Hickory School in "Hoosiers"?

My point........the champion teams are the remembered ones.

Old Tiger
08-03-2003, 07:55 PM
As a coach I would want the 20 years winning district in a row but as a player I would want the state championship.

BULLDOGFAN
08-04-2003, 06:17 AM
The State Championship, Hands down. Bandera wouldn't trade that trophy for 100 good seasons. It changes ya.

merlin69
08-04-2003, 09:42 AM
I would rather win a state championship because a big win like that gives those other 19 teams something to live up to and try to accomplish. Once a team has won a state championship the younger guys on the team become experienced and they know what it takes to win. And a state championship just gives the people somethin to remember in general.

Phil C
08-04-2003, 10:16 AM
Trojan actually the real school was Milam and they beat Muncie in 1957 (I think). Actually they are remembered because it was the only time a very small school won the Indiana State Championship because they didn't have different classes then. To prove my point who won it the year after Milam (aka Hickory in the movie?) Speaking of basketball isn't it great that Spurs beat the Nets for the NBA championship in June?

BEST NBA SERIES WE EVER HAD!!

IF ANYONE SEES ANYONE ON ESPN PLEASE ASK "WHERE'S THE CAT?"

RBARKER
08-04-2003, 10:44 AM
I think the state trophy would be better also. Here at Barbers Hill we have won district four years in a row, but have had limited success in the playoffs. To me this is causing disbelieve in the Eagle program because they have not made that deep run in the playoffs. Its great winning district, but when Thanksgiving comes around and you have to go find another team to watch its quite depressing. Even too show up in the state game would bring a great lift to the program.

<small>[ August 04, 2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: RBARKER ]</small>

trojandad
08-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Very true, Rbarker, nobody wants to be the Bob Dole of 3A football. Or for anything for that matter. LOL

And your right about the team name Phil, I just knew if I put the real team's name in under the HOOSIERS title people would correct me with the name Hickory.

People just remember #1. I had a friend named Charlie Duke who went to the moon on one of the last trips there. People thought he was lying when he would show them his moon rocks. People in our culture just love the top dog......or team.

cunbed10
08-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Come on Folks, a state championship is history, knowing 50 years from now your great-grandchildren attended the same high school you attended, and see your name on the state trophy, that's a feeling like no other. History can't be erased, your name goes down in the record books for ever, 20 winning season will be forgotten, just asked the Marlin Bulldogs no one remembers the 10-0 team that lost the first round of the playoffs, but if the 03 teams wins state, you will have fans know the whole roster 50 years from now.

<small>[ August 04, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: cunbed10 ]</small>

vet93
08-04-2003, 06:55 PM
It depends on your perspective. If you are a player on the one state championship team then I assure you that you would pick winning the state championship over consistent winning. However, if I had to choose I would choose being a consistent winner over the "one time wonder" choice. Being a consistent winner will benefit more players, will give the town a longer lasting sense of self worth and will instill a lasting school pride in the student body. Remember the choice was either being a consistent winner or win the championship once and then sink down to mediocrity. We would all want both but since we can only pick one...I think that being a consistent winner is better for the community and better for the majority of the students.

Bandera YaYa
08-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Phewy! I comend the players on here that admitted they would rather have that golden ring on their finger than 20 banners in their gym. They were honest. Our champs wear those rings with so much pride, they NEVER leave those rings at home, they realize now what they accomplished and they realize that no one can take it away from them...EVER! It must be an amazing feeling. You are a HS football player for a max of 4 years. You are playing for that ring. It means everything. I think to go for 20 seasons and still not win the top trophy is so short of what you really want to accomplish. BUT, if you do play on a team that does just that, it's no reason to be sad, it's still a great thing...just not as great as winning one Championship.....just ain't so, no way. Always strive and dream of it...it is possible! :)

mustang04
08-10-2003, 03:42 PM
well it really does depend on certain things...Sweetwater i mean....if iwas on hte team that won state...then i'd rather have a ring, but as a kid comin up on the team....i want our school to have TRADITION....Sweetwater has that too, I mean who would you remember more, a team who won state 20 years ago, and hasnt done anything since, or a team that has won their district and gone into the playoffs for 20 years in a row, one shows that that school had a good team THAT YEAR, and the other shows that it has a GOOD FOOTBALL PROGRAM...so i'd choose tradition :rolleyes: