PDA

View Full Version : 2013 cowboys

cougartino
03-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Some clown on dallascowboys.com said the Cowboys are going to win the division in 2013. Would that be D1 or D2?

Saggy Aggie
03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
LOL, maybe if somebody takes out RG3

Macarthur
03-20-2013, 07:08 AM
They were one game away last year. The division is not as good as most make it out to be.

Old Tiger
03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
I thought the Big 12 wasn't split divisions anymore?

Eagle 1
03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
They were one game away last year. The division is not as good as most make it out to be.
The Giants are just one year removed from a Super Bowl, and RG3 has the skins playing some good football. The Cowboys will miss the playoffs again next season.

Trashman
03-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Playoffs?

Macarthur
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
The Giants are just one year removed from a Super Bowl, and RG3 has the skins playing some good football. The Cowboys will miss the playoffs again next season.

Well, it's a safe bet since they've missed the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years. My comment is more about the division than the Cowboys. I"m not under any illusions that the Cowboys are all of the sudden going to be world beaters. I just think everyone seems to forget this time of year how fickle the NFL is. There is not as much difference in 6-10 and 10-6 as there used to be.

refereedoc
03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
In the Cowboys case, it is usually time management in the last 2 minutes of halfs and end of games.

cougartino
03-20-2013, 03:26 PM
In the Cowboys case, it is usually time management in the last 2 minutes of halfs and end of games.

I blame the management (GM).

defense51
03-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Some clown on dallascowboys.com said the Cowboys are going to win the division in 2013. Would that be D1 or D2?

The South Division of the NFC East

Roughneck93
03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Dallas' 2013 free agency...:sleeping:

Good news though, I do hear that the 'Boys and Tony are close to a contract extension.:stirpot:

Macarthur
03-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Dallas' 2013 free agency...:sleeping:

Good news though, I do hear that the 'Boys and Tony are close to a contract extension.:stirpot:

I actually think them not having money early in FA is a good thing. It's kept JJ from being his own worst enemy. When Romo gets done, and possibly Spencer, they will have some room to go out and add some solid guys. There will be some players available that can help us.

Farmersfan
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
No amount of player help is going to matter if your QB throws 3 interceptions and a 55 QB rating in the elimination game to end the season.....................

ethsfbnut
03-22-2013, 08:09 AM
No amount of player help is going to matter if your QB throws 3 interceptions and a 55 QB rating in the elimination game to end the season.....................

waa, waa, waa...

Trashman
03-22-2013, 10:06 AM
I actually think them not having money early in FA is a good thing. It's kept JJ from being his own worst enemy. When Romo gets done, and possibly Spencer, they will have some room to go out and add some solid guys. There will be some players available that can help us.

What is sad......That actually makes sense.:doh:

Farmersfan
03-22-2013, 10:11 AM
What is sad......That actually makes sense.:doh:

It's truly sad isn't it? The only way our Gm/Owner can't hurt the team is if he doesn't have money to blow.....................................

cougartino
03-22-2013, 10:55 AM
It's truly sad isn't it? The only way our Gm/Owner can't hurt the team is if he doesn't have money to blow.....................................

Or the "other"

Roughneck93
03-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Lol, true on the JJ comment. Waiting too long on Romo and Spencer, I just don't see being able to pick up quality FAs that will improve this .500 team. They'll end up having to settle for eveyone else's leftovers.

From the looks of it, the 'Boys will stay in salary cap hell in the near future as well.

http://overthecap.com/dead-money-and-the-dallas-cowboys/

Macarthur
03-22-2013, 09:54 PM
There are plenty of quality players left unsigned. Cbs, I think has a free agent tracker. Theres some really solid upgrades out there to be had.

Farmersfan
03-27-2013, 08:14 AM
There are plenty of quality players left unsigned. Cbs, I think has a free agent tracker. Theres some really solid upgrades out there to be had.

Out of the top 100 free agents the Cowboys are mentioned just twice. Once for franchising Spencer and then again with Victor Butler being unsigned. The best free agent still available that might help the Cowboys is Osi Umenyiora who is ranked #41 overall. And the few still available in the top 100 that might help are going away fast. I could be mistaken but I don't think a free agent ranked below #100 is going to help this team very much. Jerry better get his S*** together fast.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents

Macarthur
03-27-2013, 10:15 AM
PFF thinks much more highly of Moore than CBS.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

And I don't think we're going to see big spending even if they money were there.

I think JG is trying to build the team through the draft. Uunfortuanly, that doesn't necessarily give you quick results. If fact, if JG doesn't get them to the playoffs this year, he probably won't be here to see the benefit of what I think are two pretty good drafts that he has overseen.

Farmersfan
03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
PFF thinks much more highly of Moore than CBS.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

And I don't think we're going to see big spending even if they money were there.

I think JG is trying to build the team through the draft. Uunfortuanly, that doesn't necessarily give you quick results. If fact, if JG doesn't get them to the playoffs this year, he probably won't be here to see the benefit of what I think are two pretty good drafts that he has overseen.

Yea I agree! And so far I haven't seen anything that would convince me that J. Garrett would know talent if it kicked him in his arse! The only thing that would make this off season so far a bigger laughing stock would be if Jerry moved up in the draft to get Te'o...................... :eek:

Macarthur
03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Yea I agree! And so far I haven't seen anything that would convince me that J. Garrett would know talent if it kicked him in his arse! The only thing that would make this off season so far a bigger laughing stock would be if Jerry moved up in the draft to get Te'o...................... :eek:

Oh, come on. I don't think you're give JG enough credit.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-cowboys-were-built.html

He clearly has a vision for the type of guys he wants on his roster. Now, it still remains to be seen if that translates into wins, but he has a hell of a lot better plan than Wade did.

slingshot
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
My prediction? 8-8... again. Mired in mediocrity.

ethsfbnut
03-28-2013, 08:05 AM

Funny.

Farmersfan
03-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Oh, come on. I don't think you're give JG enough credit.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-cowboys-were-built.html

He clearly has a vision for the type of guys he wants on his roster. Now, it still remains to be seen if that translates into wins, but he has a hell of a lot better plan than Wade did.

Oh how far the mighty have fallen Mac! It's a sad, sad day when we must compare our Cowboy's head coach to Wade "Frickin'" Philips.......................

Macarthur
03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
While I agree that Wade was a disaster as a HC, I still don't think that changes the fact that JG has pretty extensively madeover this roster.

Again, this is a critical year because it's got to start bearing fruit, but I like they types of guys he's bringing in.

Eagle 1
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
my prediction? 8-8... Again. Mired in mediocrity.

x2....

cougartino
03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
My prediction? 8-8... again. Mired in mediocrity.

You're too kind. 7-9.

Farmersfan
03-28-2013, 02:16 PM
You're too kind. 7-9.

Without a change at the QB spot we must field a outstanding defense for this team to get into the playoffs. Our current QB will have 2 or 3 "throw away" games every season so the defense must be able to play well enough to overcome at least 2 of those Romo meltdowns for this team to be over .500. If they sign Urlacher I will predict a divisional win with a 10-6 or 9-7 record. Without a big free agent addition to the defense this team will struggle to go .500. Mac and TXB, Save this quote for the end of the season and as usual you will see someone at least has a finger on the pulse of this team..... :stirpot:

Macarthur
03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
You're not going to draw me offsides. :crazy:

GrTigers6
03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
This team will either be 10-6 or better or 6-10 or lower. I believe there is too much riding on the fact of 8-8 years that they will either step up and play better or they will fall apart and get worse. If they dont get better on offense then I see it closer to the 6-10.

Roughneck93
07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Jason Garrett's opening address to the 2013 Cowboys...

Four minute version (http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/21/peter-king-the-mmqb-monday-morning-quarterback/)

Full version (http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/17/jason-garrett-dallas-cowboys-speech/)

piratebg
07-22-2013, 11:43 PM
I hope for an 10-6 or 11-5 season every year, but my gut is telling me 9 games tops. Still too many questions on the o-line and I don't know about the switch in schemes on defense just yet. Both lines needed some work and were not really addressed.

Roughneck93
08-21-2013, 06:19 PM
According to sources...

Sean Lee signs six-year, $42 million extension. Could be worth as much as $51 million.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9589723/dallas-cowboys-sean-lee-agree-six-year-42-million-extension-according-source

Tejastrue
08-21-2013, 06:24 PM
If there is a Cowboy that is worth the money, it would be Lee. Dude can play some ball. I just hope he is not one of those that is prone to the injury bug.

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Time to start hating on the cowboys again :)

Go Texans!

Cam
08-21-2013, 08:23 PM
You're not going to draw me offsides. :crazy:

Hey Mac....remember awhile back I said Arkin and Leary would be the starting guards....well, Arkin is getting high praise for his play and Leary was well on his way to starting before hurtin' his other knee....See, Cam knows best!.......

Cam
08-21-2013, 08:24 PM

Go Texans!

Is Mcgee still there? I hope he can find a roster spot....

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Is Mcgee still there? I hope he can find a roster spot....

Idk but I doubt it. I think it's gonna be Schaub, Keenum and Yates

Tejastrue
08-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Go Texans!

No too many Dallas fans hating on the Texans. Gotta win a few SBs for that to happen. :stirpot:

Saggy Aggie
08-21-2013, 10:19 PM
No too many Dallas fans hating on the Texans. Gotta win a few SBs for that to happen. :stirpot:

What has Dallas done in the last 11 years since the Texans have been around...?

Tejastrue
08-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Bout the same as the Texans I think..

regaleagle
08-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Good retort, unfortunately. The Texans have had the team to get it done, but just haven't been able to yet. Can't really say the 'Boys have actually had a decent shot in the past 5 years. Maybe the year Romo flubbed the hold on the winning field goal....but that's been the last time they really had a chance. And even that year, I'm not saying they'd have gone any further. The years before that I can't even remember, except that the Cowboys didn't win. It's getting to be really fuzzy when the Cowboys last had a SB caliber team.

GrTigers6
08-22-2013, 05:44 AM
good retort, unfortunately. The texans have had the team to get it done, but just haven't been able to yet. Can't really say the 'boys have actually had a decent shot in the past 5 years. Maybe the year romo flubbed the hold on the winning field goal....but that's been the last time they really had a chance. And even that year, i'm not saying they'd have gone any further. The years before that i can't even remember, except that the cowboys didn't win. It's getting to be really fuzzy when the cowboys last had a sb caliber team.

1995 :d

Farmersfan
08-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Good retort, unfortunately. The Texans have had the team to get it done, but just haven't been able to yet. Can't really say the 'Boys have actually had a decent shot in the past 5 years. Maybe the year Romo flubbed the hold on the winning field goal....but that's been the last time they really had a chance. And even that year, I'm not saying they'd have gone any further. The years before that I can't even remember, except that the Cowboys didn't win. It's getting to be really fuzzy when the Cowboys last had a SB caliber team.

Neither team has a QB that can get it done in crunchtime. But I would be hard pressed to think the Texans have been a superior team over the past 5 seasons. The better win/loss record for the Texans can be directly attributed to the division and conference they play in.

Farmersfan
08-22-2013, 09:03 AM
If there is a Cowboy that is worth the money, it would be Lee. Dude can play some ball. I just hope he is not one of those that is prone to the injury bug.

I'm not sure a season and a half is enough to be sure Sean Lee is worth the money. When healthy he has shown he can play and is a major part of this team. But like you said, he is hurt far too often!

Macarthur
08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Hey Mac....remember awhile back I said Arkin and Leary would be the starting guards....well, Arkin is getting high praise for his play and Leary was well on his way to starting before hurtin' his other knee....See, Cam knows best!.......

No, I don't remember that.

I've thought they have been grooming Leary for some time. Arkin appears to have def improved. However, I would say that if livings and bernadeau were 100%, Arkin would not start over them. So while he's improved, he's still the 4th best guard on the team.

Saggy Aggie
08-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Neither team has a QB that can get it done in crunchtime. But I would be hard pressed to think the Texans have been a superior team over the past 5 seasons. The better win/loss record for the Texans can be directly attributed to the division and conference they play in.

Yeah because the redskins and eagles have been so good... And the giants regular season win loss isn't that great either.

Farmersfan
08-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah because the redskins and eagles have been so good... And the giants regular season win loss isn't that great either.

Even on their worst day you can't compare the Redskins and Eagles to the Jags and Titans............ And then you add in the Chiefs, Raiders and Chargers in the other AFC division and the Texans are a shue-in for 6 or 7 wins a season without ever playing a decent competition. And go check the stats: the Texans are about .500 against the NFC over the last 5 seasons.

Saggy Aggie
08-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Even on their worst day you can't compare the Redskins and Eagles to the Jags and Titans............ And then you add in the Chiefs, Raiders and Chargers in the other AFC division and the Texans are a shue-in for 6 or 7 wins a season without ever playing a decent competition. And go check the stats: the Texans are about .500 against the NFC over the last 5 seasons.

Seriously? cardinals? rams? panthers? only recently (last 2 years) have the lions, 9ers, bux, etc been any good. and you act like AFC teams only play AFC teams? your argument doesnt make any sense. The redskins were AWFUL prior to RG3. thats why they got the 2nd pick.... it wasnt that long ago the titans were in the playoffs... Yeah and which conference keeps winning SBs....?

Tejastrue
08-22-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure a season and a half is enough to be sure Sean Lee is worth the money. When healthy he has shown he can play and is a major part of this team. But like you said, he is hurt far too often!

The Cowboys have factored in the possibility of recurring injuries. Only 16 mil is guaranteed. Sad that we say 'only' in today's game. I think he's the best defensive player we have.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9589723/dallas-cowboys-sean-lee-agree-six-year-42-million-extension-according-source

Macarthur
08-22-2013, 12:39 PM
The Cowboys have factored in the possibility of recurring injuries. Only 16 mil is guaranteed. Sad that we say 'only' in today's game. I think he's the best defensive player we have.

Love Lee but he's not better than ware.

Farmersfan
08-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Seriously? cardinals? rams? panthers? only recently (last 2 years) have the lions, 9ers, bux, etc been any good. and you act like AFC teams only play AFC teams? your argument doesnt make any sense. The redskins were AWFUL prior to RG3. thats why they got the 2nd pick.... it wasnt that long ago the titans were in the playoffs... Yeah and which conference keeps winning SBs....?

For what it's worth I got curious so I looked up the numbers. The Cowboys have averaged the #10 Strength of Schedule ranking since 2007 and the Texans have a average SOS of #13. ( This includes 1 season they had the #1 ranking) . This is a lot closer than I expected. But playing the weak ass bottom dwellers in the AFC week after week will give a lot of not so good teams a much better record so the SOS ranking is not a very good measure of quality......
And just so you know: The NFC has won 4 of the last 6 Superbowls. :)

Saggy Aggie
08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
For what it's worth I got curious so I looked up the numbers. The Cowboys have averaged the #10 Strength of Schedule ranking since 2007 and the Texans have a average SOS of #13. ( This includes 1 season they had the #1 ranking) . This is a lot closer than I expected. But playing the weak ass bottom dwellers in the AFC week after week will give a lot of not so good teams a much better record so the SOS ranking is not a very good measure of quality......
And just so you know: The NFC has won 4 of the last 6 Superbowls. :)

LOL, your entire argument was based on SOS, and now that you looked it up and realized you're wrong... All of a sudden 'SOS ranking is not a very good measure of quality'.... Typical farmersfan when your argument falls through.

I'll say it again.... You act like AFC teams only play AFC teams... Aren't all 3 of those 'weak ass'
AFC teams you listed on the cowboys 2013 schedule...? Also... Yes NFC has won 4/6 but AFC won 6/7 before that.... you can construe any fact to make it fit your agenda. C'mon FF.... Step your game up.

Farmersfan
08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
LOL, your entire argument was based on SOS, and now that you looked it up and realized you're wrong... All of a sudden 'SOS ranking is not a very good measure of quality'.... Typical farmersfan when your argument falls through.

I'll say it again.... You act like AFC teams only play AFC teams... Aren't all 3 of those 'weak ass'
AFC teams you listed on the cowboys 2013 schedule...? Also... Yes NFC has won 4/6 but AFC won 6/7 before that.... you can construe any fact to make it fit your agenda. C'mon FF.... Step your game up.

I think you need to clarify your argument Aggie. I responded to Regaleagle's comment that the Cowboys have not had the team to get it done since 07 but the Texans have. My point is SINCE 07 the Texans have not been much better than the Cowboys. They do have a better record but that record is directly associated with the decline of the AFC as a whole during that specific time period. ( and in particular the decline of their own division). If you want to go back further than that then I can simply pull the Texans records and show they weren't better than the Cowboys even during the Cowboys worst years. The Texans were something like 30 games under .500 for the decade of the 2000s and didn't start being competitive until recently. So do you want to talk about recently or before that?

Farmersfan
08-23-2013, 09:43 AM

Oh, I almost forgot! Each team plays 4 games a season against the other conference...................

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I think you need to clarify your argument Aggie. I responded to Regaleagle's comment that the Cowboys have not had the team to get it done since 07 but the Texans have. My point is SINCE 07 the Texans have not been much better than the Cowboys. They do have a better record but that record is directly associated with the decline of the AFC as a whole during that specific time period. ( and in particular the decline of their own division). If you want to go back further than that then I can simply pull the Texans records and show they weren't better than the Cowboys even during the Cowboys worst years. The Texans were something like 30 games under .500 for the decade of the 2000s and didn't start being competitive until recently. So do you want to talk about recently or before that?

How many playoff wins do the cowboys have since the Texans have been around?

Cam
08-23-2013, 01:01 PM
No, I don't remember that.

I've thought they have been grooming Leary for some time. Arkin appears to have def improved. However, I would say that if livings and bernadeau were 100%, Arkin would not start over them. So while he's improved, he's still the 4th best guard on the team.

That's the problem...Liivings and Bernadeau are never 100%....it's time to move on from those two.....let's face it, neither is very good....and I respectfully disagree that Arkin is the 4th best guard...not trying to be an Arkin homer here, I'm just hoping to see some new blood in there.....watching Frederick has been pleasant....he's gonna be a good one....

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Yeah, or it could just be attributed to the fact that the texans are better, ya know why they've had a better record since 07 and more playoff wins....

And of course the texans were 30 games under .500 for the decade of the 2000s..... Maybe you forgot they were an expansion franchise....? Dude I swear your logic is so flawed. It's like trying to argue with a kid.

Macarthur
08-23-2013, 01:21 PM
That's the problem...Liivings and Bernadeau are never 100%....it's time to move on from those two.....let's face it, neither is very good....and I respectfully disagree that Arkin is the 4th best guard...not trying to be an Arkin homer here, I'm just hoping to see some new blood in there.....watching Frederick has been pleasant....he's gonna be a good one....

I understand and I'm not schilling for livings or bernadeau. It's easy to say get rid if the bums but we have to have some bodies that can play in the nfl.

Tejastrue
08-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Nobody watching this late game tonight?

Old Tiger
08-25-2013, 01:44 PM
So a team who started at the beginning of the decade is supposed to start winning immediately? That argument is stupid.

ogg
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM

The word "retort" always reminds me of the movie Pulp fiction. LOL

ogg
08-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Nobody watching this late game tonight?

Cowboy have a Super Bowl caliber team dude!!! Keep from getting banged with injuries they'll go far. Brandon Carr is one of my favorite this year.

Tejastrue
08-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I thought they looked pretty good overall. Super Bowl? If only. I try to stay positive thru every disapponting year and there have been quite a few. Lots of positives thus far however so hope remains.

Enigma
08-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Cowboys finish at a minimum of 11 - 5 and Romo is contender for MVP barring injury.

Cam
08-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Cowboys finish at a minimum of 11 - 5 and Romo is contender for MVP barring injury.

....now I know why you're an enigma Enigma:D......Hope you're right!......

Cam
08-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Is anybody else happy Fatboy-get-a-haircut-Ryan is gone??? Dallas D looks a lot more reckless. They're swarming to the ball....I like what I see so far.....Last year, it looked like players were pulling out calculators on the field trying to figure out formulas or something!.....

ogg
08-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Is anybody else happy Fatboy-get-a-haircut-Ryan is gone??? Dallas D looks a lot more reckless. They're swarming to the ball....I like what I see so far.....Last year, it looked like players were pulling out calculators on the field trying to figure out formulas or something!.....

I could put Rob Ryan and Manny Diaz (from UT) in the same boat. Don't care for either one. Too bad he's not like his dad Buddy.

Farmersfan
08-26-2013, 08:59 AM
So a team who started at the beginning of the decade is supposed to start winning immediately? That argument is stupid.

Apparently it is your ability to follow the discussion that is "STUPID" Old Tiger. I never said they should win immediately as an expansion team. I simply stated that the Texans haven't been much better than the Cowboys in response to someone else's comment that since 2007 the Texans have had a Superbowl caliber team and the Cowboys haven't. Saggie was the one who brought up the AFC superbowl wins from 10 years ago. So all of Saggie Aggie's ridiculous homer nonsense has forced me to actually look up the numbers and I WAS WRONG! I said the Texans weren't "MUCH" better than the Cowboys. The Fact is they weren't ANY better. In fact the Cowboys have actually been better than the Texans from 2007. The Texans are 53-43 (+10) in that time frame and the Cowboys are 55-41 (+14). The Texans are 2-2 (4 playoffs games) and the Cowboys are 1-2 (3 playoff games). Both of the Texans playoff wins came against the Bengals. The only regular season matchup between these two teams came in 2010 and the Cowboys won it by 14 points in Houston. And like I said earlier every single season the Cowboys have had either a higher ranked defense or a higher ranked offense by the end of the season. I have also shown how the Cowboys have a higher SOS so not only did they win more games but they won them against a tougher average opponent. And the clincher in all this is the Texans success is considered by most to be a pleasant success. The Cowboys on the other hand are considered by most football knowledgeagle people to have underachieved during that time frame when they STILL won more than the Texans.

Farmersfan
08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Yeah, or it could just be attributed to the fact that the texans are better, ya know why they've had a better record since 07 and more playoff wins.... .

Correction: Worse record..... and 1 more playoff win. I'm wondering how the Cowboys would have fared in the playoffs against the Bengals???? :crazy: And I'm also thinking if the Cowboys had the Titans and Jags in their division they would have made a few more playoff runs in the past 6 years. Two of the six the Cowboys missed the playoffs by a single win.

cougartino
08-26-2013, 11:43 AM
But what some fans, err, so called "experts" don't see to get it is, other teams, especially Seattle and Frisco, have greatly improved themselves since last season. It must be all that Jerry nectar they're sucking. I'm not sayign to Cowboys are not going to be better, but they're still not of the caliber of the top 2. My fear is that Romo's boneheaditis will return. I still have doubts about them defending the pistol spread option. And I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting sick of tired of 8-8 seasons and the "we as players gotta play better" cliches. It's been 18 years!

coach
08-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Correction: Worse record..... and 1 more playoff win. I'm wondering how the Cowboys would have fared in the playoffs against the Bengals???? :crazy: And I'm also thinking if the Cowboys had the Titans and Jags in their division they would have made a few more playoff runs in the past 6 years. Two of the six the Cowboys missed the playoffs by a single win.

Romo or Schaub?

cougartino
08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Romo or Schaub?

Different sides of the same coin.

Farmersfan
08-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Romo or Schaub?

I don't see a huge difference in the two.

Macarthur
08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm very pleased with Jason Garrett and I really hope they have some success this year because I want him to be the long term answer so badly.

I really think just being the HC is going to be a big positive. I'm pulling for him big time.

Farmersfan
08-26-2013, 03:29 PM
But what some fans, err, so called "experts" don't see to get it is, other teams, especially Seattle and Frisco, have greatly improved themselves since last season. It must be all that Jerry nectar they're sucking. I'm not sayign to Cowboys are not going to be better, but they're still not of the caliber of the top 2. My fear is that Romo's boneheaditis will return. I still have doubts about them defending the pistol spread option. And I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting sick of tired of 8-8 seasons and the "we as players gotta play better" cliches. It's been 18 years!

Both those teams had a surge in power rankings last season with the emergence of two freakishly good QBs. But any NFL team that isn't ready for the QB option this season after having a full season of preparing for it needs to be removed from the NFL. Neither one of those teams will have the kind of awesome offensive season this year. Unfortunately both are pretty dang good defensively. But the Cowboys have the talent to be just as good defensively if they can stay healthy and SOMEONE can keep them playing at a high level. And it wasn't but 2 years ago that the Cowboys beat both Seattle and San Francisco in the regular season.

Farmersfan
08-26-2013, 03:34 PM
But what some fans, err, so called "experts" don't see to get it is, other teams, especially Seattle and Frisco, have greatly improved themselves since last season.

This is also a unproven speculation cougartino. Both of those teams lost some players and picked up some players. Seattle would seem to have the best opportunity to be better with the aquisition of Harvin but isn't he hurt? And I repeat: The chances that the QBs for these teams have as much success this season as last season is pretty slim. I predict both teams will have a worse record.......

cougartino
08-26-2013, 04:36 PM
This is also a unproven speculation cougartino. Both of those teams lost some players and picked up some players. Seattle would seem to have the best opportunity to be better with the aquisition of Harvin but isn't he hurt? And I repeat: The chances that the QBs for these teams have as much success this season as last season is pretty slim. I predict both teams will have a worse record.......

I hope you're right. But what troubles me is, unlike those SB teams of he 90's, I don't feel this version of the 'boys has what it takes to overcome mistakes. I'm not saying they couldn't beat Seatlle, SF, GB, NO or ATL, but it's gonna take dang near perfect games to do so. I guess we'll see.

Saggy Aggie
08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Romo or Schaub?

Romo and it's not close

Cam
08-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Reading DT Nick Hayden may become starter...coaches really pleased with him...Where did he come from anyway?.....

buff4ever
08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
This may be hard to believe, but i would take Romo over Schaub.

That is not saying a whole lot for schaub.

I will also fall for the gimmick again this year. Romo is going to show us all this year. He is going to be in the running for MVP, I think that is what I heard yesterday on ESPN. I do think that if Austin can stay healthy, and Bryant accomplish what he is capable of, that Romo should have a pretty nice season.

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Romo and it's not close

Just curious as to why?

Schaub career QB rating= 91.9 with a very bad team the first 4 seasons
Romo career QB rating= 95.6 with a good to average team his whole career.
Schaub career passing yards per game= 186 w/ 7.6 per completion average
Romo career passing yards per game= 212 w/ 7.9 per completion average.
Schaub career interceptions per game= .59
Romo career interceptions per game= .75
Schaub career TDs thrown per game= 1.1
Romo career TDs thrown per game= 1.4

So as you can see the numbers are about even. Some areas favor Romo and some areas favor Schaub. I admit that I have not watched very much of Schaub but I find it very hard to believe he is lacking in the "intangibles" that Romo is. I don't think any of the other players in the NFL have voted Schaub as MOST OVERRATED. I don't think any other players in the NFL view Schaub as a joke and laugh at him like they do Romo. It seems that Matt Schaub is respected in the NFL and Romo is not. So do you still choose Romo?

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
This may be hard to believe, but i would take Romo over Schaub.

That is not saying a whole lot for schaub.

I will also fall for the gimmick again this year. Romo is going to show us all this year. He is going to be in the running for MVP, I think that is what I heard yesterday on ESPN. I do think that if Austin can stay healthy, and Bryant accomplish what he is capable of, that Romo should have a pretty nice season.

I think the big advantage that Romo gives over Schaub is his preceived ability to avoid the rush. And I say "perceived" because I think if you look inside the numbers Romo really doesn't avoid the rush anymore. Early on he made some amazing plays with his feet but more recently it seems to me he runs into trouble far more often than he runs out of trouble....................

Txbroadcaster
08-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't think any of the other players in the NFL have voted Schaub as MOST OVERRATED. I don't think any other players in the NFL view Schaub as a joke and laugh at him like they do Romo. It seems that Matt Schaub is respected in the NFL and Romo is not. So do you still choose Romo?

If you switched the teams than it would be Schaub voted most overrated...not because of his play, but because of the team he plays for..Texans are not getting national rating records year in and year out so outside of houston not many think of Schaub in any term good or bad

Saggy Aggie
08-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Just curious as to why?

So as you can see the numbers are about even. Some areas favor Romo and some areas favor Schaub. I admit that I have not watched very much of Schaub but I find it very hard to believe he is lacking in the "intangibles" that Romo is. I don't think any of the other players in the NFL have voted Schaub as MOST OVERRATED. I don't think any other players in the NFL view Schaub as a joke and laugh at him like they do Romo. It seems that Matt Schaub is respected in the NFL and Romo is not. So do you still choose Romo?
Yes I still choose romo.

Romo has the ability to win games with his arm. Schaub is a folder kinda QB. Not good enough to put the team on his back.

I've seen plenty of Schaub to know he's not a SB qb.

How many passes per game do each of them attempt?

Romo has more boneheaded plays but he also has a crapload more good moments.

Schaub is overrated because he isn't regarded that highly. Romo is

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 01:43 PM
I think the big advantage that Romo gives over Schaub is his preceived ability to avoid the rush. And I say "perceived" because I think if you look inside the numbers Romo really doesn't avoid the rush anymore. Early on he made some amazing plays with his feet but more recently it seems to me he runs into trouble far more often than he runs out of trouble....................

Oh, I almost forgot. Romo has had 50 fumbles in 121 games and Schaub had 39 fumbles in 118 games.

Txbroadcaster
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
good article today on this debate

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/08/better-supporting-cast-gives-schaub-edge-on-romo/

how many ome from behind wins to both have?

buff4ever
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Just curious as to why?

I agree that these two qb's are close in value, but I still think romo wins this one. I believe it was you the other day saying that the cowboys strength of schedule was so much better than the texans, if you factor that into the stats you have shown, then romo grabs the edge by just a little in my books.

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Yes I still choose romo.

Romo has the ability to win games with his arm. Schaub is a folder kinda QB. Not good enough to put the team on his back.

I've seen plenty of Schaub to know he's not a SB qb.

How many passes per game do each of them attempt?

Romo has more boneheaded plays but he also has a crapload more good moments.

Schaub is overrated because he isn't regarded that highly. Romo is

Pass attempts per game for career:

Romo= 26.8
Schaub= 23.9

And the big difference here comes about from last season. Schaub averaged 6 attempts per game less than Romo in 2012 but the rest of their careers are pretty much identical. Romo and Schaub had almost identical passer ratings for last season also....

As far your claim that Romo can win games with his arm and those "great plays" I guess you are entitled to your opinion but I haven't seen those "great plays" very often anymore and the numbers don't support this reasoning. And the question is if Schaub's numbers are identical to Romo's then which is better: Very high highs and very low low's of Romo or a steady even consistency of Schaub without highs or lows?

ogg
08-27-2013, 02:12 PM
I like the benching of Murray following his fumble, it's what the Cowboys have needed.

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 02:51 PM
good article today on this debate

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/08/better-supporting-cast-gives-schaub-edge-on-romo/

how many ome from behind wins to both have?

The one thing of importance here is a QB has to actually BE BEHIND before they can come from behind to win. What percentages for each QB are they behind late and then manage to win?

Also know this:

Tony Romo has had 1- 5 interception game, 1- 4 interception game and 8- 3 interception games as well as 10- multiple interception (2) games in his career. Matt Schaub has had only 1- 3 interception game and no 4 or 5 int games. He has the same amount of multiple interception games as Romo. So basically that equates to 1 game for Schaub that he screwed his team beyond any real chance of winning. On the other hand Romo has had 10 games of 3 or more interceptions. The Texans have never really had to OVERCOME Schaub's mistakes.............. Dallas can't say that about Romo.

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
I agree that these two qb's are close in value, but I still think romo wins this one. I believe it was you the other day saying that the cowboys strength of schedule was so much better than the texans, if you factor that into the stats you have shown, then romo grabs the edge by just a little in my books.

Good point! And nobody really thinks the Dallas O-line hasn't been terrible the last couple of years. But at the same time the Texans O-line was horrible the first few years. Isn't that a wash?

Farmersfan
08-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Sorry for all the continued posts on this subject everybody! Saggie Aggie told me to "step up my game" so now it's him sitting there with his thumb up his butt with nothing of substance to say.:) So now I guess it's him who needs to STEP UP HIS GAME!!!!! :stirpot::cheerl:

Saggy Aggie
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Sorry for all the continued posts on this subject everybody! Saggie Aggie told me to "step up my game" so now it's him sitting there with his thumb up his butt with nothing of substance to say.:) So now I guess it's him who needs to STEP UP HIS GAME!!!!! :stirpot::cheerl:

Sorry FF, I have a job.... So I can only really get time to post on my lunch break from my phone. I don't have the luxury of a laptop or being at home to look up a bunch of stats. I'll eventually get around to it maybe, but I'll have probably forgotten or moved on to a new topic.

Like I said, you're really good at skewing stats and only showing the ones that for your agenda. You showed all those int stats, but can you provide the same stats for TDs? Ya know 3/4 TDs games etc... I'm willing to bet Romo has a crapload more of those. Schaub reminds me of Dilfer.... Doesn't do a whole lot of good, or a whole lot of bad. He's just usually kinda there. If you had the perfect team around him, he could maybe win a SB if all the stars aligned. It's my opinion if you put Romo on the texans, they immediately become a legit contender. The texans are my team and I feel like they're just pretenders with Schaub. Idk, I don't have an opportunity to look crap up about him now, but I've seen him enough to know. It's similar to how you feel about Romo I guess

Roughneck93
08-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Well Stephen Jones says that the Cowboys have the "secret sauce" to get back to winning championships.

All is well in Dallas. :thumbsup:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4713528/stephen-jones-convinced-cowboys-have-secret-sauce

Farmersfan
08-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Sorry FF, I have a job.... So I can only really get time to post on my lunch break from my phone. I don't have the luxury of a laptop or being at home to look up a bunch of stats. I'll eventually get around to it maybe, but I'll have probably forgotten or moved on to a new topic.

Like I said, you're really good at skewing stats and only showing the ones that for your agenda. You showed all those int stats, but can you provide the same stats for TDs? Ya know 3/4 TDs games etc... I'm willing to bet Romo has a crapload more of those. Schaub reminds me of Dilfer.... Doesn't do a whole lot of good, or a whole lot of bad. He's just usually kinda there. If you had the perfect team around him, he could maybe win a SB if all the stars aligned. It's my opinion if you put Romo on the texans, they immediately become a legit contender. The texans are my team and I feel like they're just pretenders with Schaub. Idk, I don't have an opportunity to look crap up about him now, but I've seen him enough to know. It's similar to how you feel about Romo I guess

The QB ratings for each player accounts for those TDs you asked about Aggie. Romo does have a slight edge there. Romo has more 100+ QB rated performances than Schuab but he also has more very low QB ratings. When it all averages out Romo has a very slight edge. That's why I asked if you would prefer the extreme highs and extreme lows of Romo to a steady consistency of Schuab. I guess you have answered that already. And to be fair if Romo has cost the team games with his extremely bad performances then he has also probably won the team games with his extremely high performances. The problem I have (as do so many others) is that Romo is compensated at a level that makes him the 2 or 3rd best QB in the NFL with those extraordinary high performances yet those extreme lows in actuality make him a middle of the road QB. And the timing of the extreme lows has earned him a very sour reputation around the NFL...... So I guess based on upside ability I would choose Romo but based on the downside I would choose Schaub. All in all it just seems to me that it really doesn't matter how much talent is brought in around a QB if he is going to diminish his teams ability for success with mistakes. The more frequent and ill timed those mistakes are the less value that QB has overall..................

buff4ever
08-28-2013, 09:52 AM
The QB ratings for each player accounts for those TDs you asked about Aggie. Romo does have a slight edge there. Romo has more 100+ QB rated performances than Schuab but he also has more very low QB ratings. When it all averages out Romo has a very slight edge. That's why I asked if you would prefer the extreme highs and extreme lows of Romo to a steady consistency of Schuab. I guess you have answered that already. And to be fair if Romo has cost the team games with his extremely bad performances then he has also probably won the team games with his extremely high performances. The problem I have (as do so many others) is that Romo is compensated at a level that makes him the 2 or 3rd best QB in the NFL with those extraordinary high performances yet those extreme lows in actuality make him a middle of the road QB. And the timing of the extreme lows has earned him a very sour reputation around the NFL...... So I guess based on upside ability I would choose Romo but based on the downside I would choose Schaub. All in all it just seems to me that it really doesn't matter how much talent is brought in around a QB if he is going to diminish his teams ability for success with mistakes. The more frequent and ill timed those mistakes are the less value that QB has overall..................

That pretty well sums up Romo, if you want to get Mac all hacked off, just add the point that it seems Romo's teammates don't rally behind him, or the fact that the NFL doesn't respect him.

Txbroadcaster
08-28-2013, 10:02 AM
That pretty well sums up Romo, if you want to get Mac all hacked off, just add the point that it seems Romo's teammates don't rally behind him, or the fact that the NFL doesn't respect him.

If the team does not rally behind him explain the comebacks..that is the epitome of rallying behind a guy

Led nine fourth-quarter comeback wins (2nd behind Eli Manning’s 10) since 2011.
Led nine game-winning drives (3rd behind Eli’s 11 and Matt Ryan’s 10) since 2011.
Since 2011, a record of 9-10 (.474) at game-winning drive opportunities (would rank No. 8 among active players with a minimum of 10 games).
Dallas had a fourth-quarter lead or tie in eight of those 10 losses

Saggy Aggie
08-28-2013, 10:05 AM

I can agree with that. The reason id take romo over Schaub basically boils down to this.... If romo put 3 solid performances together in a row in the playoffs without shitting the bed, the cowboys, or texans with him, could win a SB. It's not likely, but romo has the ability. I don't think Schaub is physically talented enough to have the kind of upside that it would take to win a SB. I'd rather have Romo than Schaub and trust me I'm not a romosexual like some on here. In fact, I love it when he screws the cowboys. That said, he's better than Schaub IMO

Macarthur
08-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Not gonna draw me offsides. :wave:

Farmersfan
08-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I can agree with that. The reason id take romo over Schaub basically boils down to this.... If romo put 3 solid performances together in a row in the playoffs without shitting the bed, the cowboys, or texans with him, could win a SB. It's not likely, but romo has the ability. I don't think Schaub is physically talented enough to have the kind of upside that it would take to win a SB. I'd rather have Romo than Schaub and trust me I'm not a romosexual like some on here. In fact, I love it when he screws the cowboys. That said, he's better than Schaub IMO

Good points. But also consider that history has proven that a team most have either a great QB (the norm) to win it all or a really high level of talent around a "busdriver" type QB (also been done although not very often). Romo provide neither of these. He is certainly capable a outstanding performance at times but there is a reason he is 1-9 in elimination games in his career.

Farmersfan
08-28-2013, 03:34 PM
If the team does not rally behind him explain the comebacks..that is the epitome of rallying behind a guy

Led nine fourth-quarter comeback wins (2nd behind Eli Manning’s 10) since 2011.
Led nine game-winning drives (3rd behind Eli’s 11 and Matt Ryan’s 10) since 2011.
Since 2011, a record of 9-10 (.474) at game-winning drive opportunities (would rank No. 8 among active players with a minimum of 10 games).
Dallas had a fourth-quarter lead or tie in eight of those 10 losses

I'm not sure this stat tells us anything TXB. Can you clarify how these are designated as "Comebacks"? If a team simply has to be behind at some point in the 4th quarter and yet win is considered a comeback then this happens like 50% of the time. What are the critieria for putting it in this stat?

Can you link to this information?

Txbroadcaster
08-28-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure this stat tells us anything TXB. Can you clarify how these are designated as "Comebacks"? If a team simply has to be behind at some point in the 4th quarter and yet win is considered a comeback then this happens like 50% of the time. What are the critieria for putting it in this stat?

Can you link to this information?

your moving the argument around...he is judged the same way all QBs are with come from behind wins..and the stats say when Dallas is behind Romo is as good as any in the league in leading them to a come from behind win..something people claim he cannot do.

here is link

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-myth-busting-tony-romo-and-the-dallas-cowboys-are-americas-chokers/23434/

Cam
08-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Well, guess that means Jerry will be the owner for the rest of our lives!.....Sorry Jerry haters.......

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-says-cat-scan-showed-he-has-brain-of-a-40-year-old.html/

Roughneck93
08-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Well, guess that means Jerry will be the owner for the rest of our lives!.....Sorry Jerry haters.......

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/08/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-says-cat-scan-showed-he-has-brain-of-a-40-year-old.html/

:ack!:

Another Al Davis...

http://www.draftpartyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Al-Davis.jpg

Cam
08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
:ack!:

Another Al Davis...

http://www.draftpartyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Al-Davis.jpg

....and I thought that was Pumkinhead!

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5888/4hb9.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/4hb9.jpg/)

Cam
08-29-2013, 09:21 AM
So, what rookies or young players are you hoping make the team? Tonight is their last chance to audition....

Farmersfan
08-29-2013, 09:27 AM
So, what rookies or young players are you hoping make the team? Tonight is their last chance to audition....

I would hope one of the young receivers or one of the new O-linemen step up and become players for this team. Another GOOD receiver in my opinion would help this offense so much. Miles Austin is 1 play away from being hurt again and we don't need a bunch of bottom dwellers running routes for Romo just trying to bide their time until Austin can come back. ( only to get hurt again during his first game back.)

Roughneck93
09-03-2013, 07:04 PM
According to a league source, Cowboys have signed free agent guard Brian Waters.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9631894/brian-waters-reaches-agreement-dallas-cowboys-source

Cam
09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
According to a league source, Cowboys have signed free agent guard Brian Waters.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9631894/brian-waters-reaches-agreement-dallas-cowboys-source

Hope he can help!.....used to be a good one!....

Roughneck93
09-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Hope he can help!.....used to be a good one!....

On paper it looks like a good move with the success he's had. But, it's been 19 months since he's played...hope he gets in shape quickly.

Macarthur
09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Yeah, he didn't play last year but was a pro bowler in 11. The cowboys worked him out and I've read that he's been keeping in shape. I'm sure they wouldn't have given him almost $2 million if he wasn't in good shape.

If he's close to 2011 form, smith, Leary, Fred, waters and free is A LOT better than last year.

Farmersfan
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Yeah, he didn't play last year but was a pro bowler in 11. The cowboys worked him out and I've read that he's been keeping in shape. I'm sure they wouldn't have given him almost $2 million if he wasn't in good shape.

If he's close to 2011 form, smith, Leary, Fred, waters and free is A LOT better than last year.

The article stated that Jerry said he wouldn't play in Sunday's game because conditioning was as big an issue as him not knowing the offense. I certainly hope the Cowboys haven't invested good money into a player who couldn't get another job last season and didn't stay in shape. But that is exactly the kind of thing I would expect from JJ.............

Macarthur
09-04-2013, 09:53 AM
The article stated that Jerry said he wouldn't play in Sunday's game because conditioning was as big an issue as him not knowing the offense. I certainly hope the Cowboys haven't invested good money into a player who couldn't get another job last season and didn't stay in shape. But that is exactly the kind of thing I would expect from JJ.............

FF, he was a pro bowler in 2011. Him not playing had nothing to do with ability. He had a contract dispute with the Patriots, if I remember correctly.

Cam
09-04-2013, 01:09 PM
FF, he was a pro bowler in 2011. Him not playing had nothing to do with ability. He had a contract dispute with the Patriots, if I remember correctly.

I heard he had family issues to take care of as a reason for not playing last year.....

I had a family issue once.....a seagull crapped in my wife's ear and I refused to "clean it out"!!.....I mean, what was I supposed to do? I had no napkin or towel....just my finger!.....and my finger definitely wasn't going there!.........

don't touch that finger.....you don't know where it's been......

Emerson1
09-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Look at that, FF not knowing what he is talking about.

Farmersfan
09-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Look at that, FF not knowing what he is talking about.

You jump too quick easy money! I never stated anything except for what "I HOPED" the Cowboys didn't do. I never said why Waters couldn't get a job last season but it is a fact that he could not. I also never said he was or wasn't in shape. I quoted the article that quoted Jerry Jones. So I know you lie in waiting in the grass for your rare opportunities to spring on my mistakes but this wasn't it............... Better luck next time!

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Dallas last year became only the 2nd team in NFL history to finish at least .500 even though they trailed at some point in all 16 games according to Norm...interesting stat

Slick50
11-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Jerrah said on the radio today that he has been doing "some of his best work as GM the last few years". What an idiot. SMH

cougartino
11-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Jerrah said on the radio today that he has been doing "some of his best work as GM the last few years". What an idiot. SMH

If GM stands for general moron, then he's been doing an A+ job!

GrTigers6
11-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Jerrah said on the radio today that he has been doing "some of his best work as GM the last few years". What an idiot. SMHJust because that's his very best work, Doesn't mean its good!:D