PDA

View Full Version : SB 573 Private Schools in the UIL: let your voice be heard

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 03:37 PM
If you oppose SB 573 authored by Dan Patrick, then send an e-mail to your state rep letting him/her know you are opposed to this bill. THSCA is endorsing a site that will allow an e-mail to be generated to your state rep based on zip code. if you are against this bill I urge you to take a minute to do this...pass along to all friends of public school athletics!

Here's the link with the info

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/248347/7fdafe773a/1467501289/cf6dacfc2a/

This is the direct link to the form:

https://secure.assistantcoach.net/poe/

Phil C
03-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Done. This bill will destroy Texas HS football and probably other sports as we know it. Private schools have different rules and would have an unfair advantage and dominate the sports.

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 03:44 PM
I not only filled out the form but I placed a call to Senator Davis office...

Here's the link to the senators and their contact info...a phone call which literally takes 2 min. is most effective...

http://thsca.pointstreaksites.com/files/uploaded_documents/386/Senators_83rd_Web.pdf

cougartino
03-14-2013, 03:47 PM
This is what happens when folks don't vote.

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 03:51 PM
True dat....I'm fairly lucky in that I don't believe the senator in my area supports this bill...but someone needs to run Patrick's rear out on a rail in H Town

rancher
03-14-2013, 08:41 PM
I have made a phone call and letter to my state rep. and senator in SUPPORT OF THE BILL. I hope that everyone supports this bill. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF SOME COMPETION AND ACCOUNTABLITY. Why should you have to send you child to a gov. school that does not educate.

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 09:20 PM
I have made a phone call and letter to my state rep. and senator in SUPPORT OF THE BILL. I hope that everyone supports this bill. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF SOME COMPETION AND ACCOUNTABLITY. Why should you have to send you child to a gov. school that does not educate.

No one says you have to send your child to a public school...but how can one expect to reap the benefits of the public school system when its not good enough to educate your child? To me its like talking out of both sides, private schools have their own association that offers all the sports the UIL offers so why the need to join the public school system for sports only?

What accountability would be gained by private schools joining the UIL? If anything accountability for the private schools goes out the window....take a look at California, Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, Louisiana...the private schools dominate because they have no rules and can pretty much go get whoever they want whenever they want....

bigwood33
03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
True dat....I'm fairly lucky in that I don't believe the senator in my area supports this bill...but someone needs to run Patrick's rear out on a rail in H Town
I not only sent messages to my State Senator and Representative but I sent one to Patrick...suggesting that he take his "carpet bagging, Baltimore ideas" back where he came from and "fix them...we don't need fixing."
I will call mine tomorrow.

Rabid Cougar
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
No one says you have to send your child to a public school...but how can one expect to reap the benefits of the public school system when its not good enough to educate your child? To me its like talking out of both sides, private schools have their own association that offers all the sports the UIL offers so why the need to join the public school system for sports only?

What accountability would be gained by private schools joining the UIL? If anything accountability for the private schools goes out the window....take a look at California, Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, Louisiana...the private schools dominate because they have no rules and can pretty much go get whoever they want whenever they want....

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It's your choice where you send your kids to school. No one is against that. Play private schools all you want in predistrict, but NO to having them compete in the UIL.

Tejastrue
03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Just curious if the private schools are subject to Chapter 41 guidelines. Most likely not. God help us if this should pass but it is something to consider that could very well benefit the already overtaxed UIL school districts.

Aesculus gilmus
03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
The Southern Baptist churches are the most powerful political force in terms of numbers in this state. They and their allied evangelical churches are the main reason the private schools are such a force to be reckoned with.

That said, if this goes through, Gilmer and every other public school should be allowed to recruit just as openly and notoriously as these private schools do. We have one scheduled for "payback" at Buckeye Stadium on Sept. 6.

Old Tiger
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
I have a direct connection to Joe Strauss

Macarthur
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I think you are mixing things up here rancher. No one is NOT for competition. It's just that the playing field has to be level. Private schools can recruit. Public schools have to play with kids that live in their district. Period.

I think you are espousing the benefits of a private school EDUCATION but not looking at this from the standpoint of athletics which is what the bill addresses. What you will have in every level is what happened in 1A basketball. There will be small private schools in DAllas and Houston that will recruit the best athletic talent in the city and the public schools will not have a change. I think you are truly misguided about this.

Matthew328
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I think you are mixing things up here rancher. No one is NOT for competition. It's just that the playing field has to be level. Private schools can recruit. Public schools have to play with kids that live in their district. Period.

I think you are espousing the benefits of a private school EDUCATION but not looking at this from the standpoint of athletics which is what the bill addresses. What you will have in every level is what happened in 1A basketball. There will be small private schools in DAllas and Houston that will recruit the best athletic talent in the city and the public schools will not have a change. I think you are truly misguided about this.

it's also real easy for private schools to have better education when they can be selective about who they allow to enroll...public schools dont have the luxury....rarely do private schools get kids from lower socieo-economic backgrounds...
The whole thing about private schools is exclusivity. It doesn't work otherwise. Public takes what they have and tries to make it better. Private schools remove the part they don't like and say "look - we're better!"

Old Green
03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
:iagree:
it's also real easy for private schools to have better education when they can be selective about who they allow to enroll...public schools dont have the luxury....rarely do private schools get kids from lower socieo-economic backgrounds...
The whole thing about private schools is exclusivity. It doesn't work otherwise. Public takes what they have and tries to make it better. Private schools remove the part they don't like and say "look - we're better!"

Old Green
03-15-2013, 03:04 PM
I not only sent messages to my State Senator and Representative but I sent one to Patrick...suggesting that he take his "carpet bagging, Baltimore ideas" back where he came from and "fix them...we don't need fixing."
I will call mine tomorrow.:iagree::cheerl:

Yoe_09
03-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Done. Hopefully everyone will take a 1 minute to send out that email.

Eagle1
03-16-2013, 05:10 PM

This is why it is not fair to compete against private schools. If you take a pretty good 3a team and let them cull thru the rig rag at their school they would have 2a numbers. This is what private schools are.

Eagle1
03-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Just got to thinking what if a school like Gilmer with just over 600 kids got rid of about 200 kids that are at risk or don't participate in school activities they would have probably won the last 8 to 10 2a state championships.

rancher
03-18-2013, 09:32 AM
This thread just goes to prove, FEETSBALL COACHES and the association cannot read, I guess they are a product of the public education system that is failing. Please read the bill it simply states gives private school students the right to participate in University Interscholastic League (UIL) sports except for basketball and football. The school the private school student attends must be accredited and require daily attendance at a specific location. Read the bill by the way in case educrats dont know it is being pushed by both democrats and republicans. Best of luck.

Macarthur
03-18-2013, 10:11 AM
So baseball and volleyball doesn't matter? Sorry, still wrong.

And I don't give a crap what politican supports it. Those whores can be bought off regardless of party.

Matthew328
03-18-2013, 10:12 AM
This thread just goes to prove, FEETSBALL COACHES and the association cannot read, I guess they are a product of the public education system that is failing. Please read the bill it simply states gives private school students the right to participate in University Interscholastic League (UIL) sports except for basketball and football. The school the private school student attends must be accredited and require daily attendance at a specific location. Read the bill by the way in case educrats dont know it is being pushed by both democrats and republicans. Best of luck.

This is just a way to ease the private schools in, it'll bring them in for football and basketball also, the crazy thing is the private schools for the most part don't want the bill to pass either.

Ernest T Bass
03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Athletics are the last bastion of public schools in Texas. It's the only place where privates can't be considered "better". Change that, and you'll get your privitization of education, and there will be people getting very rich in Texas.

rancher
03-18-2013, 11:10 AM
You already have private schools playing look at 19 5A and 9 5A. Sounds like a bunch of chicken little's "THE SKY IF FALLING" GET A GRIP, PUBLIC EDUCATION IF FAILING OUR KIDS. Vouchers are coming for those who want to send their children to schools who make the grades. By the way, Dan Patrick was reelected in his district with 75%, this includes the districts of Katy, Klein, Cy-Fair and Spring Branch. Good luck to you democrats of the Coaching Association. Barack loves you.

Macarthur
03-18-2013, 11:14 AM
You already have private schools playing look at 19 5A and 9 5A. Sounds like a bunch of chicken little's "THE SKY IF FALLING" GET A GRIP, PUBLIC EDUCATION IF FAILING OUR KIDS. Vouchers are coming for those who want to send their children to schools who make the grades.

YOu are making a diff argument.

Several of us have said that we don't have a problem with private schools and their education. It the UIL aspect that creates an unfair advantage.

I asked the question and didn't get an answer. Do you think it would fair if Allen HS played Celina in football?

NastySlot
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
GET A GRIP, PUBLIC EDUCATION IF FAILING OUR KIDS. .

Wrong the lawmakers are failing both public education and our kids.

marler1972
03-18-2013, 01:18 PM
You already have private schools playing look at 19 5A and 9 5A. Sounds like a bunch of chicken little's "THE SKY IF FALLING" GET A GRIP, PUBLIC EDUCATION IF FAILING OUR KIDS. Vouchers are coming for those who want to send their children to schools who make the grades. By the way, Dan Patrick was reelected in his district with 75%, this includes the districts of Katy, Klein, Cy-Fair and Spring Branch. Good luck to you democrats of the Coaching Association. Barack loves you.

This is due to most people voting straight ticket and do not pay attention to who is really on the ballot.

areacode337
03-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Private schools don't want in football and basketball because they can't compete.

Macarthur
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Private schools don't want in football and basketball because they can't compete.

Huh? Did you not see what just happened in the 1A BBall final?

OldNavy
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7hWfr0dRYVgAmFhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZzIxZTM 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA01TWTAwM183O Q--/SIG=13cf5j57m/EXP=1363681311/**http%3a//tfninsider.org/2013/03/07/sen-patrick-gives-texans-an-odd-lesson-on-civil-rights/Sen Patrick is making the argument that it is discrimination like segregation to not let the private school students compete in the UIL.

Perhaps I am missing something, but probably 90% or more of the public school students can't just choose to go to private school, and all the private school students can choose to go to public school if their goal it to compete in the UIL. So where is the discrimination? The state is not forcing those poor private school stuedents to go to those inrferior, seperate but equal schools. I am working myself up to being offended!

Macarthur
03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
The discrimination angle is silly.

Old Tiger
03-19-2013, 09:06 AM
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7hWfr0dRYVgAmFhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZzIxZTM 2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA01TWTAwM183O Q--/SIG=13cf5j57m/EXP=1363681311/**http%3a//tfninsider.org/2013/03/07/sen-patrick-gives-texans-an-odd-lesson-on-civil-rights/Sen Patrick is making the argument that it is discrimination like segregation to not let the private school students compete in the UIL.

Perhaps I am missing something, but probably 90% or more of the public school students can't just choose to go to private school, and all the private school students can choose to go to public school if their goal it to compete in the UIL. So where is the discrimination? The state is not forcing those poor private school stuedents to go to those inrferior, seperate but equal schools. I am working myself up to being offended!Or be selected to the private school.

Hearing my friend who works under Speaker of the House Joe Straus, it seems like Patrick like to hear himself talk.

pancho villa
03-19-2013, 09:22 AM

The private schools will be singing a different tune when they have to take ALL kids who want to attend their schools. Public schools are not failing our children!!! Their parents are!!!

Ernest T Bass
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
The private schools will be singing a different tune when they have to take ALL kids who want to attend their schools.

That will NEVER happen.

Matthew328
03-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Private schools...take the elite kids and scream how much better they are...

pancho villa
03-21-2013, 10:50 AM
The reason most kids go to private schools? They pee their pants around normal kids!

BwdLion73
03-21-2013, 01:07 PM
The reason most kids go to private schools? They pee their pants around normal kids!

Like it or not....I had to chuckle at this. :)

big daddy russ
03-21-2013, 09:22 PM

I've tried. No success. His office is just a couple miles down the road from my house and his daughter-in-law used to teach 3rd grade with my wife.

As long as there's an (R) next to his name on the ballot, nobody will care. People around here vote party, not intelligently.

Aesculus gilmus
03-22-2013, 11:32 AM
I've tried. No success. His office is just a couple miles down the road from my house and his daughter-in-law used to teach 3rd grade with my wife.

As long as there's an (R) next to his name on the ballot, nobody will care. People around here vote party, not intelligently.

Texans, for all their talk of rugged individualism, have always been classic "sheeple" when it comes to politics. It's almost always been a one-party state, except for the two or three decades after integration when everyone was switching from D to R. That process was more or less completed around the year 2000.

So there is only one party and that will be true for as long into the future as I can see. The (D) brand will not be allowed to come back in this state. This is why I follow sports rather than politics. At least in sports, there is competition.

ethsfbnut
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Believe this is all about Patrick wanting to make a name for himself. All for future politcal career. Most on here has it right. If you can afford it and want your kids to go private schools,they want do it. It`s their choice. If they want to compete in UIL go to public school.

If bill passes the privates should be put in 5a (or 6a) like the Dallas and Houston schools several years ago.