PDA

View Full Version : Why would there be a change at Columbus?

maestro
03-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Seems to me a very favorable job.

Kids are competitive in all sports. Major upgrades in facilities. Talent at the sub varsity and jh levels.

Just saying.....

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Coaches change jobs for lots of reasons, its not always about how competitive a school is etc...could be a family issue, could be pay etc....

hookandladder
03-14-2013, 08:01 AM
This would not be surprising, had been rumored since football was over. Coach Sines is a class act , demands a lot out of his kids. My bet would be him heading back to the Hill Country ( West) , Wish him the best.

Weebe
03-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Can't compete is the district they are in.

hookandladder
03-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Can't compete is the district they are in.

It is pretty much the same District they have been in for years, sometimes they join our District . They normally compete very well in all sports, talent may be down some then in other years. Also in one more year , who knows they could be back with us.

Weebe
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm really just talking about football because, ultimately, that's what a 3a AD is judged on.

And with the coach they had, they weren't going to beat El Campo or Bellville anytime soon. Wharton andSealy also have better programs right now.

YTBulldogs
03-14-2013, 09:21 AM
You will not turn Columbus around in one year. If Coach Sine stay's there, he will have it lined out if anyone can.

hookandladder
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm really just talking about football because, ultimately, that's what a 3a AD is judged on.

And with the coach they had, they weren't going to beat El Campo or Bellville anytime soon. Wharton andSealy also have better programs right now.

They were in the playoffs 2 very short years ago, their talent is down some but trust me they have talent in that school and town. Just a matter of getting them on the field and keeping them there , they will compete with Bellville and Sealy in time. With El Campo just dropping down to 3A , most do not know what talent that have coming up. You would figuire with almost double the enrollment of a lot of 3A schools , you should compete year in and year out.

Weebe
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
They were in the playoffs 2 very short years ago, their talent is down some but trust me they have talent in that school and town. Just a matter of getting them on the field and keeping them there , they will compete with Bellville and Sealy in time. With El Campo just dropping down to 3A , most do not know what talent that have coming up. You would figuire with almost double the enrollment of a lot of 3A schools , you should compete year in and year out.

El Campo will be down compared to last year. But I still don't see them losing to Columbus.

After that, the schools will likely go separate ways due to split division format.

hookandladder
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
El Campo will be down compared to last year. But I still don't see them losing to Columbus.

After that, the schools will likely go separate ways due to split division format.

You would think with a 4A enrollment size that you would just reload to compete in 3A , guess that is not the case in EC.

Weebe
03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
We will likely still go deep in the playoffs if we win the first round. It's Region IV.

Down compared to last year means something less than state championship game.

And all of the whining about enrollment gets old. El Campo did very well for many years with one of the smallest enrollments in 4A. And even beat many 5A teams along the way.

We never complained about enrollment. We got beat by teams with better athletes, not necessarily bigger enrollments.

hookandladder
03-14-2013, 11:06 AM
We will likely still go deep in the playoffs if we win the first round. It's Region IV.

Down compared to last year means something less than state championship game.

And all of the whining about enrollment gets old. El Campo did very well for many years with one of the smallest enrollments in 4A. And even beat many 5A teams along the way.

We never complained about enrollment. We got beat by teams with better athletes, not necessarily bigger enrollments.

Yes , the number of players to choose from and having kids only going one way has little effect on the outcome. In football that would be hard to beleive , now other sports numbers do not mean as much.

maestro
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
You would think with a 4A enrollment size that you would just reload to compete in 3A , guess that is not the case in EC.

What I have observed is that a 4A dropping down will usually excel in year one and two. After that the true 3A numbers of their enrollment will settle in.
What el campo has going for it is years and years and generations of elem and jh kids dreaming of Friday Night Lights.
That should keep el campo in the district/bidi strict hunt for seasons to come.

What does Sealy and Bellville have coming up through the ranks?

Weebe
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Yes , the number of players to choose from and having kids only going one way has little effect on the outcome. In football that would be hard to beleive , now other sports numbers do not mean as much.

I'd guess that El Campo had as many if not more two way players than any team they played in the playoffs.

They certainly had more two way players than the 4A schools that they beat on a regular basis.

XMan
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
El Campo has been whining for years about their low enrollment #s. They had a great year this year in football but were horrible in hoops. We shall see how they do in baseball. EC has been running a 3a program for about 10 years now. (concentrating mainly on football only) They were a good 4a football program and im guessing they will be a very good 3a football program for several years to come.

Scoop27
03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Bay City keeps thinking that they will drop to 3A eventually-That still won't help them in the near future. The program is in disaraa plus the talent is just not there like it used to be

dog40
03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Back to the Columbus question, has Coach Sine left for greener pastures or is this hypothetical because he has interviewed at several places? Sometimes not bad to interview and get a feel of what other programs are looking for and then you find out your situation is not too bad. However, sometimes administration gets peeved and it hurts the trust in kids....

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Coach Sine is the HC at Columbus...

Weebe
03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
El Campo has been whining for years about their low enrollment #s. They had a great year this year in football but were horrible in hoops. We shall see how they do in baseball. EC has been running a 3a program for about 10 years now. (concentrating mainly on football only) They were a good 4a football program and im guessing they will be a very good 3a football program for several years to come.

El Campo didn't whine about enrollment or playing in 4A. We whined about playing in Region 3 and having to match up with the La Marque/Manvel/Dawson district.

El Campo would have went deep in the playoffs every year had it been in Region IV 4A.

Just look what Port Lavaca Calhoun has done after they moved to Region IV. They were always the doormat of El Campo's district.

Weebe
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Why would El Campo schedule 5A teams every year if they were concerned about enrollment disparities?