PDA

View Full Version : These guys just don't get it

lostaussie
03-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Throwing so much away...........and I'm not banging on the Horns because you can insert ANY university in the blank. Just saying it's sad to watch kids throw away such great opportunities.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/texas-cayleb-jones-charged-with-felony-assault-031213

Farmersfan
03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Yea it is a shame. But I think the fact that "athletes" are pretty much the only ones written about in the news explains why so many of these guys feel bulletproof and think they can get away with stuff like this. How many young promising doctors, lawyers or engineers throw away those opportunities everyday with bad decisions? I think it's the nature of being a young person.....

ronwx5x
03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Yea it is a shame. But I think the fact that "athletes" are pretty much the only ones written about in the news explains why so many of these guys feel bulletproof and think they can get away with stuff like this. How many young promising doctors, lawyers or engineers throw away those opportunities everyday with bad decisions? I think it's the nature of being a young person.....
Perhaps it's the privileged existance that high caliber athletes enjoy? A background in which they have always been "special" due to their athletic abilities ?

BwdLion73
03-13-2013, 08:41 AM

No group is following those kids around telling them how special they are. If the "Star" has not matured and has no parent to mentor them and keep them on the ground they are headed for trouble.

Phil C
03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Another victim of society. :(

Old Tiger
03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
snatch is still undefeated

Saggy Aggie
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Hahaha broke a females jaw?

Man.... What a great guy

waterboy
03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Hahaha broke a females jaw?

Man.... What a great guy

I don't know of any females named Joseph..... He was just jealous, but being an athlete puts you under a microscope. If it would've been just another student it wouldn't have made the news at all, probably.

cougartino
03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a controlling woman beater. Excuse my language but his *** needs to be put in jail. Put him Cellblock D with Bubba and the boys. I'm sure they'd like to get to know him.

bobcat1
03-13-2013, 12:49 PM
*Sigh*

Saggy Aggie
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
My bad. Didn't read the article. Just heard what my friend had said.

Def wasn't a woman so my mistake.

Old Tiger
03-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Sounds like a controlling woman beater. Excuse my language but his *** needs to be put in jail. Put him Cellblock D with Bubba and the boys. I'm sure they'd like to get to know him.

chick was messin with him and the tennis player....and finally he got tired of it and did something.

As I stated earlier....snatch is still undefeated.

cougartino
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
chick was messin with him and the tennis player....and finally he got tired of it and did something.

As I stated earlier....snatch is still undefeated.

He didn't have the right to do that. There's too much "other" out there. Waaaay too much!

Scoop27
03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I feel sorry for Khat more than anybody who got involved with this loser. Hopefully she can overcome this and get on with her volleyball career and as a student

Sville
03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
I believe Caleb is the son of former Dallas Cowboys LB'er Robert Jones

coach
03-13-2013, 09:40 PM

Thug

cougartino
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Thug

:iagree:

Farmersfan
03-14-2013, 08:38 AM
No group is following those kids around telling them how special they are. If the "Star" has not matured and has no parent to mentor them and keep them on the ground they are headed for trouble.

I agree! But also we have to understand it isn't just athletes that do these things. But it's only the athletes that we hear about. I personally know of several kids from my home town that had promising careers that they threw away because of mistakes in college. Many partied themselves out of school and some simply couldn't obey the rules. It's a shame for sure but it happens a lot these days. And not just to athletes....

BwdLion73
03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I agree! But also we have to understand it isn't just athletes that do these things. But it's only the athletes that we hear about. I personally know of several kids from my home town that had promising careers that they threw away because of mistakes in college. Many partied themselves out of school and some simply couldn't obey the rules. It's a shame for sure but it happens a lot these days. And not just to athletes....

Oh I would venture to guess that there are more kids not involved in athletics who are screwing up or damaging their careers. Actually I think sports has saved more kids than just about anything. I'm in the half century club but when I see Coach Blackburn from the Coach Wood staff I still greet him as Coach.

No one wants to hear about the sanitation worker that hit his wife or got a DWI (sorry trashman) but its front page news when the politician does it.

coach
03-14-2013, 12:44 PM

100% correct

Emerson1
03-14-2013, 02:33 PM
I blame rap music.

regaleagle
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
If the kid has a problem controlling his temper and his behavior, better to not have him as a part of the team, end of story. We all have made poor choices in our lives, and have paid the price for it. This incident is really no different in that regard. The fact that he is on the team for the Texas Longhorns, and that he lost control and assaulted his ex-girlfriend's new suitor does put him in a precarious position(dummy). Now it's time to pay the piper. Good riddance. There's always someone else ready to take his spot.

lostaussie
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
I am quite pleased that this has been discussed very sainly without turning it into an "us against them" as these topics normally do. It's not a school problem...........it's a people problem.............and you are correct Reagle...........next man up!!!

Farmersfan
03-15-2013, 08:05 AM
If the kid has a problem controlling his temper and his behavior, better to not have him as a part of the team, end of story. We all have made poor choices in our lives, and have paid the price for it. This incident is really no different in that regard. The fact that he is on the team for the Texas Longhorns, and that he lost control and assaulted his ex-girlfriend's new suitor does put him in a precarious position(dummy). Now it's time to pay the piper. Good riddance. There's always someone else ready to take his spot.

So he loses his athletic scholarship and therefore his college degree over this? Question: If a kid is on a academic scholarship (like band, or debate or any other non-sports) does he lose his scholarship for this? I can't support treating athletes differently than the other students whether it's to their benefit or detriment.

gatordaze
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
So he loses his athletic scholarship and therefore his college degree over this? Question: If a kid is on a academic scholarship (like band, or debate or any other non-sports) does he lose his scholarship for this? I can't support treating athletes differently than the other students whether it's to their benefit or detriment.

Athletic scholarships are year to year. If he gets kicked off the team he loses his scholarship. No such thing as a ******* hardship

Farmersfan
03-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Athletic scholarships are year to year. If he gets kicked off the team he loses his scholarship. No such thing as a ******* hardship

I can't really disagree with this gatordaze. But shouldn't this apply to ALL scholarship students? I just have never heard of a student losing a academic scholarship because something like this. Perhaps it does happen.

Old Tiger
03-15-2013, 10:33 AM
There really is only one person to blame and that is "The Man."