PDA

View Full Version : The class A hoops final

maestro
03-10-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm surprised that the posters who follow hoops have not weighed in on this.

A charter school winning a public school championship.

Bug Truck
03-10-2013, 12:34 PM
D 1 recruits on a class A team supposedly came for the academics. Yeah Sure

maestro
03-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I saw the bracket and the name ' academy ' and wondered.

But did not know the story until today's chronicle.

How was this situation different from Deion sander's school?

slingshot
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM
I saw the bracket and the name ' academy ' and wondered.

But did not know the story until today's chronicle.

How was this situation different from Deion sander's school?
I think I read AAA is a Charter School--Deion's private, right? Either way they do not need to be competing with regular UIL schools--especially the smaller classifications.

cougartino
03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
The UIL qualified them and reported they did not break any laws/rules. That settles it.

Matthew328
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
it's sad is what it is....we have no one to blame but ourselves for this one..the people in Austin have an agenda to kill Texas public schools

defense51
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
it's sad is what it is....we have no one to blame but ourselves for this one..the people in Austin have an agenda to kill Texas public schools

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but can you elaborate on this Matthew?

maestro
03-10-2013, 07:51 PM
In watching most reports on top players nationally, most have already gone away from public schools.

I think it is a " minor miracle " that players like the Harrison's completed their careers at Travis.

cougartino
03-10-2013, 07:57 PM
In watching most reports on top players nationally, most have already gone away from public schools.

I think it is a " minor miracle " that players like the Harrison's completed their careers at Travis.

If they were at Willowridge, I'd agree. But Travis is one of the nicer schools in FBISD and they have built an outstanding basketball program.

Old Tiger
03-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Rick Perry is an idiot in short....he doesn't believe there should be public schools and doesn't want to fund them properly.

Matthew328
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Rick Perry is an idiot in short....he doesn't believe there should be public schools and doesn't want to fund them properly.

it's Dan Patrick mostly...but Perry is certainly not helping matters..

Here's a decent read on Patrick's agenda

http://progresstexas.org/content/dan-patrick-texas-senate-advocate-school-choice-relishes-role-education-evangelist

Yoe_09
03-10-2013, 09:01 PM
This is truly a shame. There is no reason for a school such as Tripple A to compete with public schools. These schools need have have their own league as well as a separate playoff system.

YTBulldogs
03-10-2013, 09:09 PM
This is truly a shame. There is no reason for a school such as Tripple A to compete with public schools. These schools need have have their own league as well as a separate playoff system.

:iagree: pitiful

Yoe_09
03-10-2013, 09:16 PM
:iagree: pitiful

Some argue about possibly putting them in 4A or 5A, but I am not even sure if I agree with that. Public Vs. Public.

slingshot
03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
it's Dan Patrick mostly...but Perry is certainly not helping matters..

Here's a decent read on Patrick's agenda

http://progresstexas.org/content/dan-patrick-texas-senate-advocate-school-choice-relishes-role-education-evangelistThough I disagree with Patrick's agenda... I disagree even more with the 'Progressive Agenda'--wouldn't trust much that 'organization' had to say. But let's not turn this into an endless left vs right discussion that no one wins. All this means to me is that the far-right wing of the Republican Party is just as crazy as the far-left wing of the Democratic Party. On a brighter note--the Abilene Reporter News did state that the UIL was aware of the situation and that schools like AAA would be playing in a larger classification next year... no idea how the formula works to decide how much higher up, but it's a start.

Matthew328
03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Charter schools will have to play in the classification of the smallest HS in the ISD they reside in...those doesnt take effect until 2014...AAA will play in what is now 3A

cougartino
03-10-2013, 10:50 PM

Charter schools are public schools. They are funded with taxpayers' money. There's a little thing from the SCOTUS (Brown v Board of Education) that allows charter schools, if they desire, the complete in the UIL.

Seems to me someone came up with a new idea to beat the system that did not violate any rules. I bet others, if they want to win, will follow suit.

Manso/V8
03-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Dan Patrick is a carpet bagger yankee elitist.

I remember when one of the hurricanes was bearing down on Houston, Dan Patrick evacuated early and was broadcasting via cell phone from his Lincoln Navigator in North Central Texas telling the Houston listeners to evacuate in stages like the authorities requested. What a coward.

Yoe_09
03-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Charter schools are public schools. They are funded with taxpayers' money. There's a little thing from the SCOTUS (Brown v Board of Education) that allows charter schools, if they desire, the complete in the UIL.

Seems to me someone came up with a new idea to beat the system that did not violate any rules. I bet others, if they want to win, will follow suit.

Got it. But, where are all these kids all coming from?

Old Tiger
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Got it. But, where are all these kids all coming from?
AAU programs...

Matthew328
03-11-2013, 07:29 AM
AAU programs...

I dont disagree w/the concept of charters from an academic standpoint, what I disagree with is charter schools being lumped in w/public schools who have attendance zones in athletics. It's not a fair fight.....its like saying hey Boise St...from now on you can only play NCAA D-1 with kids from Idaho, but you've got to play Alabama who can recruit kids from all over...

Patrick has also been a suporter of private schools participating in the UIL

Macarthur
03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Matt is right. It's not the concept of charter schools that are the problem. It's the competitive advantage that is out of whack. These kids were from all over south Dallas and they were competing against kids from very small communities. It just violates the competitive spirit of what the UIL has been about. No one would think that Dallas Kimball playing a 1A school would be fair....

cougartino
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Matt and Mac (Hey, I like how that sounds!), you make good points. There is also another factor the UIL never accounted for that may be in play here. Districts like the Houston ISD now have open enrollment. For example, Yates is good in basketball because if parents can get a young man to the campus, that’s where he is going. Need another? Lamar is HISD’s crown jewel of football and played Allen for the D1 football championship last year. Lamar always has a good team but the school is located smack dab in the middle of the River Oaks/West University part of town. Err, where most of the city’s millionaires reside. Do you really think most of those minority kids live in that area? What you see in AAA is an extension of open enrollment. I think the UIL is in a quagmire to come up with a viable fix that will satisfy everyone.

Let me also add Sunnyside KIPP is in our district. While we murdered them in football, I’ve never seen a group of kids play harder on every down. And Houston KIPP was very competitive in basketball. West Columbia had to fight them off for the third playoff spot.

Matthew328
03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Matt and Mac (Hey, I like how that sounds!), you make good points. There is also another factor the UIL never accounted for that may be in play here. Districts like the Houston ISD now have open enrollment. For example, Yates is good in basketball because if parents can get a young man to the campus, that’s where he is going. Need another? Lamar is HISD’s crown jewel of football and played Allen for the D1 football championship last year. Lamar always has a good team but the school is located smack dab in the middle of the River Oaks/West University part of town. Err, where most of the city’s millionaires reside. Do you really think most of those minority kids live in that area? What you see in AAA is an extension of open enrollment. I think the UIL is in a quagmire to come up with a viable fix that will satisfy everyone.

Let me also add Sunnyside KIPP is in our district. While we murdered them in football, I’ve never seen a group of kids play harder on every down. And Houston KIPP was very competitive in basketball. West Columbia had to fight them off for the third playoff spot.

All great points, charter schools in regards to attendance zones are magnets on steroids....

maestro
03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Good post by " Matt Mac " and cougar

Things that are coming so the UIL best get a plan

NastySlot
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Dan Patrick is a carpet bagger yankee elitist.

I remember when one of the hurricanes was bearing down on Houston, Dan Patrick evacuated early and was broadcasting via cell phone from his Lincoln Navigator in North Central Texas telling the Houston listeners to evacuate in stages like the authorities requested. What a coward.

some reason i thought he was from Maryland?

NastySlot
03-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Wasn't Triple A the name of the former AAU team that some of these kids played for at one time. Isn't the founder of the Charter school (which I heard has done well on test) the father of one of the players.

Mac is right the only problem I have is ruins the spirit of the lower division esp. Class A............small school ISD where kids only option is the one school in their area.

Read some where last week 1A kids go to school in yellow buses not metro buses.

I don't have an answer but afraid this could get worse....Texas H.S sports might be looking like Louisiana H.S sports soon.

Manso/V8
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
some reason i thought he was from Maryland?

Maybe, but that ain't here.
Snake oil salesman.

DUKE22
03-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Maybe, but that ain't here.
Snake oil salesman.

I believe they have a kindergarten class and two basketball teams. The girls made the semifinals also and lost to Smyer. We met about this last year in Austin I also believe the supt is a father of one of the boys playing. There numbers qualified them for 1A and yeah it is very unfortunate and very wrong. They have a Soph that did not play in the State Tourney that is being recruited by a dozen division 1 schools already.

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2013, 08:30 AM
No one talks about the fact the school is TEA recognized for academics.

NastySlot
03-13-2013, 11:03 AM

I sort of did....mentioned heard test scores were good.

cougartino
03-13-2013, 11:49 AM

That's all that really matters!

Saggy Aggie
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Okay, so theyre solid academicallt, but how does that matter for athletics and fair competition?

Txbroadcaster
03-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Okay, so theyre solid academicallt, but how does that matter for athletics and fair competition?

What is not fair? The UIL sets attendance by how many is in the school, not how many is in the city the school is in..they fall in 1A so again what is not fair?

Tejastrue
03-14-2013, 01:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPTA8HbdLjw&feature=player_detailpage

maestro
03-14-2013, 07:18 AM
What is not fair? The UIL sets attendance by how many is in the school, not how many is in the city the school is in..they fall in 1A so again what is not fair?

It is the argument this thread has been making: UIL guidelines on residency, recruitment, CHARTER schools.

Charter schools, open enrollments, etc.

Congrats to AAA for their academics but if you go to their website, they are not interested in educating " the masses"

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 07:24 AM
It is the argument this thread has been making: UIL guidelines on residency, recruitment, CHARTER schools.

Charter schools, open enrollments, etc.

Congrats to AAA for their academics but if you go to their website, they are not interested in educating " the masses"

I think it does matter what city the school is in when you are dealing with someone who has an open enrollment vs. someone who doesn't...its an apples to oranges deal, therefore they shouldn't be competing in the same class because the playing field is not level.

AAA has a HUGE advantage to their 1A counterparts because they are an open enrollment school in the middle of an area with a huge population. Mumford has a population of 176.....the playing field simply isn't level....its not about the # of kids in the school when you are dealing with someone who can literally pick and choose who attends the school...

I wish when charters came in the UIL would have treated them like the Jesuits and made them all play 5A...at least the schools at that level have a large enough talent base to compete even against hand picked teams....

AAA may be sound academically, but the school's stated mission is to prepare athletes for college...that's a noble mission but its also a sign of the kinds of kids they are looking to attebd their school....how can anyone expect Mumford or Texline or Roxton etc to compete fairly?? The charter school concept is in theory a good idea, but when it comes to fair competition it creates a lot of issues that the UIL is working through...I can promise you at coaching school this will continue to be a hot topic

cougartino
03-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I think the UIL multiplied the boys in the Jesuit schools x 1.5 girls to get a projection as to what the enrollment would be under normal circumstances. If AAA were an all boys school, they probably could have used the same formula. This is one of those loopholes a school schrewdly used. Until the UIL comes up with a satisfactory alternative, you're probably going to see more of this.

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I think the UIL multiplied the boys in the Jesuit schools x 1.5 girls to get a projection as to what the enrollment would be under normal circumstances. If AAA were an all boys school, they probably could have used the same formula. This is one of those loopholes a school schrewdly used. Until the UIL comes up with a satisfactory alternative, you're probably going to see more of this.

No multiplier w/Jesuits they have to play in the UIL's largest classification

YTBulldogs
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm sure $$$ has something to do with the UIL in regards to these "basketball" schools. I'm not 100% sure, but---if I could follow the money, I'm certain the UIL is getting a benefit from this.

Saggy Aggie
03-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Seriously? What isn't fair?

Just read the thread. Or scroll down a couple posts and read Matt's post. He summarized it pretty wellS

Eagle 1
03-14-2013, 10:48 AM
How is recruiting fair?

JBulldawg
03-14-2013, 10:56 AM
If you cannot see the great advantage that Triple A has over other 1A schools (even 2A and 3A), then you are completely blind. Triple A in class 1A is a joke and big egg on the face of UIL. I agree with Matt, if the Jesuit schools were forced to play in 5A in order for them to participate in UIL athletics, then Triple A and any other school of the like should have to do the same.

cougartino
03-14-2013, 10:58 AM
No multiplier w/Jesuits they have to play in the UIL's largest classification

They did that with the one in Houston. I assumed they did the same elsewhere.

coach
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM

I absolutely love what mumford's coach said about the game. He said something like congrats to AAA, but we are the best public school in the state!

Matthew328
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM

The UIL uses the multiplier in terms of calculating an ADM for Div. I/Div. II purposes, but regardless of the ADM calculation Jesuit's have to play in the UIL's largest class

regaleagle
03-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Another valid point to consider is that in basketball the sport only requires 7-10 high-quality players to field a great team, as opposed to football or even baseball. It's much easier for an open enrollment school to compete against higher level talent in basketball than the other major sports. Hence, you see this stuff taking place more in basketball than in football. I'd like to see how a school like AAA would perform against some of the top A schools in football....wouldn't be close. They probably don't even field a football team, lol. That makes this matter even more suspect, if you compare apples to apples. I don't know, but someone stated earlier that there are some open enrollments going on in Houston to field regular UIL member schools. Something seems rotten in the State of Texas here. Time to look at all the rules again, I guess.

NastySlot
03-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Mumford Article----
http://www.brazossports.com/basketball/article_e75c427d-2b91-51c2-9bbf-cee39ee9d09d.html

cougartino
03-15-2013, 06:33 PM
This is getting ridiculous. When Villanova beat Georgetown in 1985, many said the Wildcats victory was because there was no shot clock, so Nova played keep-away to a victory. Experts believed had there been a shot clock, the Hoyas would have blown them out. Maybe. But guess what, Nova played within the rules of that time and won. AAA played within the rules of their time and won. Like it or not, they did. And Munford's coach is wrong. AAA is funded with our tax dollars so by definition, they are a public school. Maybe the UIL tweeks this, maybe they don't. But AAA is the champion and any adult who booed kids (KIDS!) should take along look at themselves in the mirror.

By the way, if you voted for folks whose desire is to privatize everything, well, you're getting what you voted for. Stop complaining.