PDA

View Full Version : New Sweeny AD named

Scoop27
03-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Paul Kilby is the new athletics director/head football coach in Sweeny. Kilby comes to Sweeny after a two-year stint at Lockhart. See a full story in Saturday's Facts.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Paul Kilby is the new athletics director/head football coach in Sweeny. Kilby comes to Sweeny after a two-year stint at Lockhart. See a full story in Saturday's Facts.

All right! Sweeny will be running the ol' Slot-T! Might actually be inclined to go watch a game or two this coming season.

Y'all got a good one in Kilby!

SHSBulldog00
03-02-2013, 09:31 AM
All right! Sweeny will be running the ol' Slot-T! Might actually be inclined to go watch a game or two this coming season.

Y'all got a good one in Kilby!

Thanks, with Coach Kilby at the helm we might actually get some love from the Lake Pirates. :wave:

Scoop27
03-02-2013, 09:58 AM
From the Brazosport Facts

SWEENY — It isn’t often a Canadian comes to Texas to coach high school football.

Paul Kilby came to Texas from Ontario, Canada, 16 years ago, and has stayed ever since. Kilby was voted unanimously by the Sweeny ISD school board Friday to become the district’s new athletics director and head football coach.

“I wanted to come to Sweeny because of a mix of incredible tradition and the challenges that lie ahead,” Kilby said. “I know Sweeny has great athletes and a great tradition, and it is up to us as coaches to get these athletes in the right positions within our system.”

Kilby comes to Sweeny from Class 4A Lockhart, where he spent the last two seasons. The Lions were 2-8 in 2011 and 6-4 in 2012 in Kilby’s two seasons at the helm.

While Kilby was head football coach at Lockhart, he was not the athletics director. Sweeny will be Kilby’s third head coaching stop, as well as his second as an athletics director.

“I’ve always enjoyed coaching the 2A and 3A schools,” he said. “Being an AD always presents challenges as well. You have to build a successful athletics program, which is successful in all sports.”

This will be Kilby’s fifth season to be head coach. His first head coaching stop was in Mathis, where he coached in 2009-10 with a pair of playoff trips, including a berth in the Division II-3A region semifinals in 2010.

As thrilled as Kilby is to come to Sweeny, Superintendent Randy Miksch is equally thrilled to have him on board. Kilby was chosen from a field of 88 candidates.

The position was vacated in November when previous Bulldogs head coach Brett Sawyer resigned.

“We talked to a lot of people about the job, and it seems like Paul is the right man for the job,” Miksch said. “He is here to not only develop athletes, but to develop the whole person. We like to win here, but we also want our kids to be winners in life. Paul is a very personable guy who will relate well to the students and who is ready to help in all areas.”

Kilby received his bachelor of environmental studies degree from the University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario and his bachelor of education degree from D’Youville Catholic College in Buffalo, N.Y., before he began his coaching career in 1991-92 at Monsignor McClancy High School in Queens, NY. He was an assistant track and field coach and the strength and conditioning coach.

Kilby went to the other side of the U.S.-Canada border a year later to serve on the coaching staff at the University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario, for the next four seasons. He served on the Waterloo staff as the running backs coach (1993), linebackers coach (1994) and assistant defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator for his final two seasons on the staff (1995-96).

Following the 1996 season, Kilby crossed the border again. Only this time, he went to a place that is a stone’s throw from the other border separating the U.S. and Mexico.

Kilby’s first stop in Texas was at Brownsville Hanna (1997). He worked under Tony Villarreal while at Hanna, and learned the concepts of the slot-T offense — the only offense Kilby claim to know.

From Brownsville, he went on to 3A Quinlan Ford and was the offensive coordinator for six seasons (1998-2004) under Billy Butler. Kilby then moved on to 5A San Marcos to run the offense there for four years (2005-08) before accepting his first head coaching gig at Mathis in 2009.

“The slot-T is a ground-based, run-oriented offense that relies on misdirection,” he said. “The quarterback is almost always under center, we’ll have three backs in the backfield, and 90 percent of our passing is play-action. There are so few teams that run the slot-T, so it’s tough to prepare for in one week.”

In addition to teaching his new team a new offense, Kilby pointed out one other aspect that will be a critical challenge.

“I need to build relationships with my new players,” he said. “The relationships I build with these kids will be critical. I have to earn their trust, which will take time.”

Just like it took time for him to get to Texas from Canada.

Dogs_21
03-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Being a former Bulldog I never thought I would see the day when Sweeny would run the Slot T just because the number of athletes they have. Hopefully they wont lose any good Wide Outs they have coming up to this. With that said I wish the best for Coach Kilby and the Dogs.

YTBulldogs
03-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Being a former Bulldog I never thought I would see the day when Sweeny would run the Slot T just because the number of athletes they have. Hopefully they wont lose any good Wide Outs they have coming up to this. With that said I wish the best for Coach Kilby and the Dogs.

Not sure you'll lose the wide outs, cause it sounds they are not needed in the slot-T (other than blocking). This will be exciting.

Dogs_21
03-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Not sure you'll lose the wide outs, cause it sounds they are not needed in the slot-T (other than blocking). This will be exciting.

They have a freshman WR that should be a good one and I hate to see him not being able to use his talent.

refereedoc
03-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Slot T zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Let the kids have some fun tossing the tater around.

YTBulldogs
03-02-2013, 11:03 AM
They have a freshman WR that should be a good one and I hate to see him not being able to use his talent.

Can he block? If not, isn't WC near by, that throws the ball?

maestro
03-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Navarro's wideouts and slots were play-makers vs wharton.

Number of catches might go down but possibility for big plays is there.

YTBulldogs
03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Studs like the ball. That will be the issue. Can they stay content being involved in 1-3 plays their way? Slot-T is about team blocking, running and sharing.

Dogs_21
03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Studs like the ball. That will be the issue. Can they stay content being involved in 1-3 plays their way? Slot-T is about team blocking, running and sharing. Yea and this kid could be a D1 athlete!

BwdLion73
03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Yea and this kid could be a D1 athlete!

What type of work does his dad do? :thinking:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
In the Slot-T, the run sets up the play action pass. As long as you have a good QB that can carry out his fakes and can throw the ball you're good. If you've got a WR that's worth his weight, that's just the cherry on top.

SHSBulldog00
03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
If no one move's out

Sweeny's returning backfield

QB Fields
RB Lemons
RB Averhart
RB White

All four started at least 1 game last year.

Dogs_21
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
If no one move's out

QB Fields
RB Lemons
RB Averhart
RB White

White Just moved back from Bay City and WR-Derek Davis was going to be a big target next season.

LHPfactory
03-02-2013, 08:34 PM
If no one move's out

QB Fields
RB Lemons
RB Averhart
RB White

I think Slot-T Sweeny will fair well with the athletic talent they regularly have down there. Those 3 backs will likely all start now, they will need to get together and get the timing down, running the Slot is like building a clock.

If they run it well, they will all be 1000 plus yard rushers, and If they run it to perfection..... See LH 2004-2007........

I love this offense, its still viable and with the right horses and line can win deep into the playoffs and bring home titles, East Bernard did it this year.

I know someone from Stephenville said it puts them to sleep, but I will take an explosive run from scrimmage any day over a long pass, same result but more exciting.....

If that QB (Fields) can run the ball well, it will add a 4th candidate for the 1000 yard mark.

SHSBulldog00
03-02-2013, 09:36 PM
If that QB (Fields) can run the ball well, it will add a 4th candidate for the 1000 yard mark.

He is VERY mobile

Dogs_21
03-02-2013, 11:33 PM
He is VERY mobile

Yea Fields runs a 10.5 100 meter dash! I just hope Lemons will last the whole year. This kids is a beast

YTBulldogs
03-03-2013, 02:02 AM
If no one move's out

QB Fields
RB Lemons
RB Averhart
RB White

I hope the fan's and most importantly the OL (who must learn the keys and all must do their assignment each play) buy into this offense. It's all about the spread now days for a majority of teams I know. But, I do agree---when the ST is ran to perfection, it's unstoppable. With these four talented returners you mentioned, it could be a thing of art to watch. Hardest part is learning it correctly. All must do their assignments each play.

Additup
03-03-2013, 11:27 AM
No opponent on Sweeny's schedule is high fiving about having a slot T team to prepare for now. Ask Tank what it was like defending it in '06. I seem to remember the TD pass before halftime being the crusher. Solid TEAM offense...9th graders and their D-1 agents may struggle until they figure this idea out. Good hire.

SHSBulldog00
03-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I remember preparing fpr Slot T teams. Aransas Pass and I want to say Waller? It was not easy during the week.

Dogs_21
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
We shall see how the kids take to it but I'm already hearing bad things around the community and from players.

Manso/V8
03-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Bellville went 2-8 in 2010. They hired a slot t coach in the spring semester of 2011. We went from 10-2 in 2011 (lost to Coldspring 2OT in 2nd round) and 12-4 in 2012 (lost to Navasota in the state semi-final), and I think about 3-4 of the 2012 seniors are probably going to play college ball. The 2012 ran the slot t, but it wasn't slot t all the time. They passed a bit more than true slot t teams and even ran out of the shotgun in a hurry up situations.

It is all about buying in to the system and running it well.
Sweeny and Bellville probably have the same type of athletes.
It sounds like it could be a good hire for the Bulldogs.

SHSBulldog00
03-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Our game should finish early when Bellville comes to town.

mac77
03-03-2013, 08:07 PM

The Slot T is a version of the original Wing T. If I am not mistaken, the Dogs ran the Wing T that was used at both Delaware and Iowa back in the day, as in the early sixties, and still used it as a base offense during the 1966 title run. I know that they used it up until 1964 when my Dad retired from coaching cause he was the OC.

LHPfactory
03-03-2013, 08:55 PM
The Slot T is a version of the original Wing T. If I am not mistaken, the Dogs ran the Wing T that was used at both Delaware and Iowa back in the day, as in the early sixties, and still used it as a base offense during the 1966 title run. I know that they used it up until 1964 when my Dad retired from coaching cause he was the OC.

Mac77, Its an entirely different animal than the wing T, but often confused as a variation. If the Bulldogs buy in and have good team discipline and the right chemistry, you will be in for a real treat.

If you want to see a Tailback highlight real, go to youtube and search: Brent Bode A Look Back (It was Liberty Hills 2500 yard tail back from 2006), the fullback Allman also rushed for 2000 that same season.

In 2004, Liberty Hills Tailback, Halfback, and Full back all broke 2000 yards each from the same back field, the run till daylight trio: Kocubia, Escamilla, and Lawhorn.

If you want to see an overall highlight real with the FB, HB, TB, and QB run the ball go to youtube and search: 2010 Pewitt Offensive Highlights.

This years 2A state champ East Bernard can be seen on youtube, they also ran the Slot-T

I taught it to the 5th and 6th grade team that I coached in LH this year, We went undefeated and the first string offense scored every possession with out exception.

LHPfactory
03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
My 5th/6th graders passed for several touchdowns this season also.

Typically 5 to 7 different kids would put points on the board for us each game this season.

Manso/V8
03-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Our game should finish early when Bellville comes to town.

Two running teams make for a quick game!

pancho villa
03-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Whatever this slot-T thing is. Is it like the South Texas Wing-T

LHPfactory
03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Whatever this slot-T thing is. Is it like the South Texas Wing-T

No, It but it is sometimes called the South Texas Slot-T, but it is not like the wing T, the Slot hits faster and the fullback is the workhorse . There is an R formation in the Slot that resembles the Wing T, but you base out of the A formation primarily.

Unfortunately I cant reveal any more, I had to kiss the ring and was sworn to secrecy when I was shown the "how" with the Slot-T. :):):):):):):)

Manso/V8
03-05-2013, 01:13 AM
We shall see how the kids take to it but I'm already hearing bad things around the community and from players.

We had the same grumblings in Bellville when our slot t coach was hired.
That all went away when the first play from scrimmage went 67 yards for a TD.

Manso/V8
03-05-2013, 01:17 AM
No opponent on Sweeny's schedule is high fiving about having a slot T team to prepare for now. Ask Tank what it was like defending it in '06. I seem to remember the TD pass before halftime being the crusher. Solid TEAM offense...9th graders and their D-1 agents may struggle until they figure this idea out. Good hire.

Jimmie Mitchell at Sealy knows how to prepare his team to defend the slot t.......there are certain keys the defense needs to look for, and once you get those down, it is just another offense. Sealy doesn't run the slot t, but their defensive players know the formations, play names, and how to step up and stop it.

pancho villa
03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Do they throw or pass out of this offense?

Saggy Aggie
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM

haha

Pancho doing his thing

Lucky2Coach
03-05-2013, 10:09 AM

neither

LHPfactory
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Rarely, but there is a spread R formation that resembles an undercenter pistol that can be very affective in this offense, of course you have to have the right QB and put time into routes and throwing/catching/pass blocking to make it work.

Sweeny will need to first spend their time in getting down the run, cause in reality the Slot-T must be executed by all players in the system and it lives off establishing and dominating with the run. Moving the chains is the name of the game.

The passing game is more of a wrinkle than a fix all, uless your passing is consistantly a reception. It could be incorporated if you have a high level of completed passes, because in a tough game when you are getting 3 to 4 yards a carry, an incomplete pass KILLS the drive. Penalties will also murder you in games like this, The Bulldogs will need to be able to go with around 5 or more different snap counts and not jump.

A 5 yard penalty will kill drives in a tight game!

pancho villa
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Rarely, but there is a spread R formation that resembles an undercenter pistol that can be very affective in this offense, of course you have to have the right QB and put time into routes and throwing/catching/pass blocking to make it work.

Sweeny will need to first spend their time in getting down the run, cause in reality the Slot-T must be executed by all players in the system and it lives off establishing and dominating with the run. Moving the chains is the name of the game.

The passing game is more of a wrinkle than a fix all, uless your passing is consistantly a reception. It could be incorporated if you have a high level of completed passes, because in a tough game when you are getting 3 to 4 yards a carry, an incomplete pass KILLS the drive. Penalties will also murder you in games like this, The Bulldogs will need to be able to go with around 5 or more different snap counts and not jump.

A 5 yard penalty will kill drives in a tight game!

Why run this O if it can't overcome a little penalty?

pancho villa
03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
neither

Punt?

Scoop27
03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Jerry Long at East Bernard uses Slot T too

pancho villa
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
In this slot wing T or whatever it is, does the center use one or two hands to snap the ball?

Lucky2Coach
03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
In this slot wing T or whatever it is, does the center use one or two hands to snap the ball?

Yes!

pancho villa
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Who pulls on the G the playside or backside guard?

LHPfactory
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Why run this O if it can't overcome a little penalty?

The typical game will be a process of break down your opponent and then run all over them. It starts with pushing and pushing the other teams Defense into their endzone. The time on the field and effort that results in a long campaign of failure demoralizes the opponents defense. Their Offense will watch helplessly on the sideline. Usually the game will bust wide open for the well run Slot-T.

But what I said was in TIGHT games, you can't make mistakes, even false starts, I've seen it cost LH games.
However, penalties are huge in any tight game no matter what offense you run, in the Slot discipline is paramount.

YTBulldogs
03-06-2013, 06:47 AM
Games I've seen from dominating slot-t users, once they do pass the ball, it generally goes for a TD. The receiver is wide open. TE release usually. It is a work of art offense. The line is what makes it work so well.

pancho villa
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
In this offense do they typically stem their lineman when they are in cover 3?

Hater
03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
We shall see how the kids take to it but I'm already hearing bad things around the community and from players

Shocker.. Dude has been on the job for a week, and already people of Sweeny are b*tching. I love it.

Crow22
03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Shocker.. Dude has been on the job for a week, and already people of Sweeny are b*tching. I love it.

Actually, he hasn't even started yet and people are bitching. Crazy folks in some places!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Kilby is a good man. Y'all should chill out and give the guy a chance to make his impact.

SHSBulldog00
03-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Luke 6:37

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven"

LHPfactory
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I think the folks in Sweeny will buy in, and get excited when they start Collecting the Ws again.

SHSBulldog00
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I think the folks in Sweeny will buy in, and get excited when they start Collecting the Ws again.

:iagree: