PDA

View Full Version : Track season

Cam
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Anybody excited about it?

So, what's the scoop about slow twitch & fast twitch muscles? I hear it's not a good thing to train for long distance runs if you want to maintain your speed. Something to the effect that long distance running tends to develop slow twitch muscles and actually makes a runner slower on sprints. Myocytes, myofibrils, myamiconfused, mellevalachingada, my oh my......Someone edumacate me on this please.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

greendawg84
02-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Anybody excited about it?

So, what's the scoop about slow twitch & fast twitch muscles? I hear it's not a good thing to train for long distance runs if you want to maintain your speed. Something to the effect that long distance running tends to develop slow twitch muscles and actually makes a runner slower on sprints. Myocytes, myofibrils, myamiconfused, mellevalachingada, my oh my......Someone edumacate me on this please.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

Them words are way to big for me brother .............:D you better recruit panfan for help in that department !

refereedoc
02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/technique/155-Jason_Karp.pdf
Check out this article about muscle fibers. Training actually doesn't change muscle fiber type. You are God given your muscle type, they can be altered slightly through training but not to any great amount. I love watching athletes run as it displays the heart of an athlete to its best IMHO.

panfan
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Them words are way to big for me brother .............:D you better recruit panfan for help in that department !

I deal with fish. Here is what I know: When you hit a fish with electricity, it twitches a whole lot then goes stone cold board stiff. That's when we reach in and grab 'em. For human muscles, thinking back to my days in Anatomy, if you hit a human or any other type of muscle with electricity, it tends to twitch really fast. So moral of the story, train with a battery back and electrodes if you want to be a sprinter. Tazer may be a bit too much current though. The end.

Cam
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
I deal with fish. Here is what I know: When you hit a fish with electricity, it twitches a whole lot then goes stone cold board stiff. That's when we reach in and grab 'em. For human muscles, thinking back to my days in Anatomy, if you hit a human or any other type of muscle with electricity, it tends to twitch really fast. So moral of the story, train with a battery back and electrodes if you want to be a sprinter. Tazer may be a bit too much current though. The end.

........:thinking:...

panfan
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
........:thinking:...

Just cause I mentioned fish and electricity don't mean you get to go out, hook up the jumper cables on your motor scooter battery and toss the other ends in the creek to land some fish.

44INAROW
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
I love track season.. nothing like watching a well orchestrated sprint relay hand-off! Cuero has been fortunate in years past to have very good track teams and it was so much fun to watch them.. Gobbler Relays is March 23rd.. I can't wait!

panfan
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
speakin of track, going to the Round Rock Dragon Relays this weekend. Its a big meet. My boy will compete in shot put, discus, high jump, 110, and 300 hurdles. His twin sister will throw shot and discus. Hope they do well, but there are so may talented athletes out there. Just glad they are competing.

greendawg84
02-27-2013, 03:56 PM

So that's why you Hill folks have so many fish fry's ....... ????? CAM you better go fishing with me stay out of panfan's boat !

panfan
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
So that's why you Hill folks have so many fish fry's ....... ????? CAM you better go fishing with me stay out of panfan's boat !

heck we don't need no stinkin boat - big arse generator and a long line of cable works just dandy.

Ernest T Bass
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
If you wanna run fast, run fast while training. If you wanna run long, run long while training. It ain't rocket surgery.

coach
02-27-2013, 04:09 PM
If you wanna run fast, run fast while training. If you wanna run long, run long while training. It ain't rocket surgery.

What if you want to run slow for a short period of time?

Cam
02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/technique/155-Jason_Karp.pdf
Check out this article about muscle fibers. Training actually doesn't change muscle fiber type. You are God given your muscle type, they can be altered slightly through training but not to any great amount. I love watching athletes run as it displays the heart of an athlete to its best IMHO.

Good stuff!....

Cam
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
I love track season.. nothing like watching a well orchestrated sprint relay hand-off! Cuero has been fortunate in years past to have very good track teams and it was so much fun to watch them.. Gobbler Relays is March 23rd.. I can't wait!

....finally, a legitimate post!....here I am tryin' to be serious and all these goofs are talkin' bout electricutin' fishies and stuff.......Yea, Burnet meet this Friday, my middle schooler will be runnin' the 400, maybe the 800, and doin' the high jump and triple jump.....but I wish he'd run the relays...them is my favorite....but that lanky boy is in the middle of a growth spurt and still trippin' over his own size 11 feet!....

Cam
02-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Rocket surgery?.....:vrycnfsd:.......oh I get it now, dammit!.....Ernest T Bass the smartass!.......you were just tryin' to kill two birds with one stone.....Brain Surgery + Rocket Science = Rocket Surgery!.....Clever Ernest....very clever......:tisk:

But wait, what if your kid is being made to run the sprints and the mile as well???.....

Cam
02-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Just cause I mentioned fish and electricity don't mean you get to go out, hook up the jumper cables on your motor scooter battery and toss the other ends in the creek to land some fish.

nah...I gave that up...that dang battery hasn't been holdin' a charge very well lately.....if I really want to zap something, we can just break out some of our toys here at work....

Cam
02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
What if you want to run slow for a short period of time?

......:doh:.....that probably means last place!.....