PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City good enough to take the lead against Newton

pinecone
09-19-2003, 10:35 PM
But Newton too much for BC! BC jumped to a 6-0 lead and then had an 8-6 lead, but that was the end of the fun for BC. It was Newton with a big lead last I heard.

hardinplaya
09-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Just wasn't able to hold on huh'

Final score ??

Wildcat81
09-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Newton 45
Bridge City 15

exbccards76'smom
09-20-2003, 12:16 AM
I was glad that we drew first blood, and we were the first team to score on them in the second half. congrats Newton, you played a fine game. And to the BC boys, hold your heads up, and get ready for H-F next. They're gonna be ready for us. wink

j_dog
09-20-2003, 12:17 AM
Congratulations to Newton. Looks like it is going to be a tough road in district for the dogs and everyone else. frown

3ABirdMan
09-20-2003, 12:51 AM
Great win for Newton. They have a stable full of hosses to carry to ball (#'s 2, 5, 12, 22)! Their O line executed very well, sealing the corners to let the hosses run wild with speed to burn! And watch out for the middle linebacker - He's great! Coach Barbay has another great group of players to make another run at State. I have nothing but respect for the man and his program!

BC looked very good on the first possesion of each half. They drove the ball 60 or so yards and scored both times. After that, Coach Tarver started subing all over the field, and we just don't have the depth we need, YET! If he keeps playing these younger kids, they will develop, and you can see the improvements the TEAM is making. Even without the sub issue, Newton was definitely the better team, but I think the score could have been much closer.

Newton looks ready for another run deep into the playoffs again this year. I was proud of our BC kids for hanging tough the entire game. It starts to count next week!

Congratulations, Newton, and the best of luck!

whatusay2
09-20-2003, 01:16 AM
High School Xtra Live show actually said that BC won 46 to 15 over Newton. I was thinking that would have been a HUGE upset. So, I had to come on this board to get the real scoop. I see Newton did win.

Backwoods
09-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks BC. You're a class act. Your players kept it up till the last. We're pulling for you. Just one question. How come a school of your size (over 2x Newton) has such a small squad and only 7 seniors (according to the program.) ??? LOL

Reveille
09-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Congrats to the Eagles.

notwen
09-20-2003, 10:56 AM
BRIDGE CITY IS A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN THEIR RECORD AND NEWTON SEEMED TO BELEIVE THAT THEY WOULD JUST SHOW UP AND A VICTORY WOULD BE GIVEN TO THEM BUT BOY WHERE THEY SHOCKED. NEWTON HAS TO GET BETTER ON DEFENSE, AND THEY HAVE A STABLE OF RUNNING BACKS THAT IF EITHER ONE WOULD BE FEATURED BY THEMSELVES THEY WOULD BE A STAR. BARBAY DOES NOT BELEIVE IN STARS HE BELEIVES IN TEAMS.

X21AAAPlayer
09-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Bridge City has such a small squad due to the fact of a large number of seniors graduating, and a number of would-be seniors and juniors quitting after we graduated. Don't know why but they did lose a lot of talent off of the line. For the rest of the school... Who knows why more people dont try out. Guess they can't hack it.

98Eagle
09-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Kendrin Seastrunk from Newton had 4 carries for 183 yards. Thats a nice little average of 45.75 yards per carry.

Old Cardinal
09-20-2003, 12:49 PM
I for one certainly enjoyed the game...It was Newton 26 Bridge City 15, midway in the third quarter...Well to hold Newton, a top rated team for that long, in my opinion was about as good a Bridge City could expect...I think that this game was good for both Newton and for Bridge City, in that both will benefit from the experience and it will help them on down the road...Quite honestly, Bridge City is a little ahead of schedule, from where they started at the beginning of the season. We had a number of our playoff experienced linemen and others, just quite from last years team! In a small enrollment school that does not happen(extreme peer-pressure), and the Thursday night JV and 9th graders had to fill a lot of key spots. I hope that the Cardinals that play ball, this year,l realize that the folks in the school District have the upmost admiration for this years players- that have trained so hard to fill the open spots-we hope you the best, here as District play begins.

<small>[ September 20, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
09-20-2003, 12:53 PM
I must add that was the quietest I have ever heard the Newton fans when Bridge City was ahead 8-6 in the early part of the second quarter....I think that Newton, has a great future in the Playoffs this year, they are a much better team than Liberty who will also make the Playoffs. I think Newton really needs to work on their defense; if Bridge City could score on long drives to open both the beginning of the game and also their first drive in the second half of play....Likewise, Bridge City has to learn to hit and sustain their blocks against skilled opponents; and learn to tackle more technically effective.. Folks are going to see these two teams do OK this year, before its all over. Judgeing from where they each began this year-- they are right on schedule

<small>[ September 20, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
09-20-2003, 04:34 PM
We lost one of our guys from last year to a back injury. Another one stayed hurt all last season, and decided to consentrate on his track skills. Our guys, also, need to learn to play better as a team. They could benefit from some of the ole Les Johnson teamwork exercises(i.e. the telephone pole hold and pulling truck tires when they run.) He even had them pull a Ford pickup one time. Keep on getting better, boys. Be ready for Hamshire-Fannett. They're gonna be ready for ya'll!! wink

<small>[ September 20, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: exbccards76'smom ]</small>