PDA

View Full Version : La Marque assistant takes HC at Beaumont Central

1971Coogs
02-23-2013, 08:07 AM
LA MARQUE — Another assistant football coach at La Marque is moving on to a bigger job.
Cougars cornerbacks coach Toby Foreman was hired Thursday night as the new head coach at Class 4A Beaumont Central High School.
“It’s a dream come true to be back in East Texas as a head coach,” said Foreman, who played and coached eight years at West Orange-Stark. “It’s a great opportunity to work with young people, and I look at myself as a good leader who will help the program succeed.”

Foreman is the second La Marque assistant to land a head coaching job this year. In January, offensive coordinator John Launius was hired to lead Class 2A Hemphill.

La Marque head football coach Mike Jackson said the job openings for the now two vacant spots on the Cougars’ staff will be posted soon.

“We’re going back to work tomorrow, just like any other day, to prepare for Coldspring, West Orange-Stark and everybody else,” Jackson said. “We still have a job to do, and we will find the right people to come in to help us do that.”

The hiring of Foreman marks the 11th assistant coach on Jackson’s staffs during his career to be employed as a head coach.

“We’re excited for Toby,” Jackson said. “He’s a great coach and did a lot for the Cougars. We wish him the best.”

Foreman spent one year with La Marque, coming to the Cougars after a season at Texas High in Texarkana.

“When I played at West Orange-Stark, we played against La Marque twice, and one of the reasons I wanted to come here was because of the tradition, and it was a place where you definitely have the chance to win,” Foreman said.

“It was an exciting year here. I wish it wouldn’t have ended so soon, but at the end of the year, only one team is saying that. Moving forward, La Marque is going to be fine. With the young kids in 2013 and 2014, it will be exciting times for La Marque, as always.”

Forman is the second La Marque assistant to be hired to lead Beaumont Central. In 2002, David Suggs, former Ball High head coach and assistant with the Cougars under Alan Weddell from 1990-93, was brought in to coach the Jaguars.

Contact Sports Editor Jim Levesque at 409-683-5242 or jim.levesque@galvnews.com.

1971Coogs
02-23-2013, 08:14 AM
"The hiring of Foreman marks the 11th assistant coach on Jackson’s staffs during his career to be employed as a head coach." (excerpt from GCDN article above)

It's no secret that La Marque has been a stepping stone for coaches, over many decades, to move on up in rank and pay. Coach Foreman and Coach Launius, both assistants under Coach Jackson, have accepted head coaching positions this year. In my book, that speaks volumes of the type of coach Dr. Jackson is, not only at La Marque, but during his entire career.

La Marque has been to 10 state title games over the years, with 5 different head coaches....and I'm sure it won't be too long that appearance #11 will happen with Dr. (Coach) Mike Jackson placing the third state title ring on his finger and adding #6 to the La Marque trophy case.