PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bandera folks...

big daddy russ
06-03-2003, 12:05 PM
A buddy of mine mentioned the other day that he heard a story about how Bandera had been torn apart one way or another (politics, maybe?) but that it all changed this fall. He said the football team's run to the State Title brought the town back together... anyone care to elaborate or does anyone know what he was talking about? He heard it through the grapevine, so the details were a little fuzzy.

<small>[ June 03, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

GwoodRanger#4
06-03-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I heard something about that too, but I heard that a Flood or something like that took out the whole town, and the town wasnt in a very good state at all. Thats just what I heard, the guy who told me that though might be full of crap! But I did read a news paper article that had there head coach stating that the win was good for them, and good for the town, b/c of all the hardship they had gone through! Anyhow I hope the town enjoyed their State Championship, they deserved it!

Bandera YaYa
06-03-2003, 02:35 PM
It was a flood...July 2-5, three days of water, water, water. Took out dozens of stores, a hotel, several subdivisions were simply gone, stranded alot of Bandera....I was stranded for awhile...looking down on the town, unable to do anything to help. Many stores, our DQ had 3-5 feet of water in them. When the water subsided, it looked like a war zone. No kidding. Thankfully only a few lost their lives, but many, many families lost their homes and just about everything they owned, went floating down the river. The water went over the big bridge in town 3 seperate times, eventually broke the bridge in pieces. Anyways, yeah, it was a huge event in our lives, one that could have done alot of us in, but we pulled together and survived and us winning State just was a blessing in disguise! Considering that 2-a-Days had to be held in our County Ag Barn, because the fields were so messed up! You never really know your neighbors and friends until you go through something like that. Thanks for your kind words.

<small>[ June 03, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

Gobbla2001
06-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Know how that feels, sounds like us in '98, accept our flood came the weekend of game 7... It sucked, about 3/4 of the town had water in it or over it... Found Schilitterbahn (sp?, dammit) benches in trees, it was nuts... Closed school for a week so that the school could be used as a shelter, didn't have any football practice that week, but we didn't lose another game until State... Glad you guys could win that one...

Bandera YaYa
06-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Sorry you had to go thru that, too. I have a whole new respect for water now. It can sure turn ugly real fast! Maybe our going to State was somehow compensation for all we lost?!?
Anyway, glad you recovered from it all! :) :)