PDA

View Full Version : Greatness vs Longevity

maestro
02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
This was a topic discussed when Biggio and Bagwell were up for the Hall induction.
Now, it's Steve Nash's name.

Last night he passed up Magic Johnson on the assist list .
So....

Steve Nash greatness .?..

Or just longevity ?

Farmersfan
02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Does one cancel out the other? Steve Nash is passing Magic Johnson's numbers but he has used several more years to do it in. Does that make him less than Magic Johnson? Maybe. But also Magic Johnson played with more hall of famers than Steve Nash has played with. How much credit does Kareem and Worthy get for Magics assits? Is Emmitt Smith less of a RB because he played several years more than the guys he beat out for most career yards? It's quite a subject...............

defense51
02-21-2013, 05:24 PM
This was a topic discussed when Biggio and Bagwell were up for the Hall induction.
Now, it's Steve Nash's name.

Last night he passed up Magic Johnson on the assist list .
So....

Steve Nash greatness .?..

Or just longevity ? All things considered, I think Magic was much greater than Nash.

Farmersfan
02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
All things considered, I think Magic was much greater than Nash.

It seems to me that Magic did his "Magic" with tremendous athleticism as much as anything else while Nash uses mostly fundamentals. The results are very similar but Magic was so much more fun to watch............... Or maybe it just because I'm old and Magic was in my prime.........:eek:

defense51
02-26-2013, 10:11 AM
It seems to me that Magic did his "Magic" with tremendous athleticism as much as anything else while Nash uses mostly fundamentals. The results are very similar but Magic was so much more fun to watch............... Or maybe it just because I'm old and Magic was in my prime.........:eek:

I think you're right Farmersfan, I watched Magic in junior high and high school when I was playing basketball. Magic was fun to watch and did everything with style, and could play any position on the court, something Nash couldn't do.

Cam
02-26-2013, 05:22 PM
I think you're right Farmersfan, I watched Magic in junior high and high school when I was playing basketball. Magic was fun to watch and did everything with style, and could play any position on the court, something Nash couldn't do.

Magic all the way!..That dude did some crazy stuff on the court.....Besides, Nash's greasy hair bothers me!...not to mention all the finger lickin' he does before handling the ball!.....NO wonder he gets colds and stuff so often...

Farmersfan
02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Yea, I agree that Magic was special when he played. But doesn't it seem that Steve Nash did more with less? No only playing with a much lesser talented team around him but with a lot less natural attributes like size, speed and strength. Magic was like Lebron to an extent with a lot of natural attributes that enables his awesomeness. Magic was taller, faster and stronger than anybody else who played his position. Combine that with his skill set and he was able to dominate. But if Magic were 6'1" and limited to a "white man's" vertical like Nash is I don't think Magic would have been near as effective. Just as I think Lebron gets far, far too much credit for his greatness when in truth about 75% of Lebron's greatness comes because of what "God gave him".............. Or am I being a old white guy?

coach
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Yea, I agree that Magic was special when he played. But doesn't it seem that Steve Nash did more with less? No only playing with a much lesser talented team around him but with a lot less natural attributes like size, speed and strength. Magic was like Lebron to an extent with a lot of natural attributes that enables his awesomeness. Magic was taller, faster and stronger than anybody else who played his position. Combine that with his skill set and he was able to dominate. But if Magic were 6'1" and limited to a "white man's" vertical like Nash is I don't think Magic would have been near as effective. Just as I think Lebron gets far, far too much credit for his greatness when in truth about 75% of Lebron's greatness comes because of what "God gave him".............. Or am I being a old white guy?

Nash is most def. a hof. he is a back to back mvp winner. He is not as great as magic but he is def. up there.

Phil C
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
If Steve had stayed in Dallas with Dirk he would probably be wearing a ring now. Oh what might have been. :(