5. Metta World Peace

6. Alex Rodriguez

7. Michael Vick

8. Kurt Busch

9. Kobe Bryant

10. Tony Romo

What Forbes had to say about Tony...
Appeal: 27%
Takes lot of heat for a good quarterback who has never harmed anyone or been in trouble off the field. That’s life with the high-profile Cowboys - when you don’t get to the Super Bowl, people find a way to blame the QB.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45jmfd/lance-armstrong/

Farmersfan
02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Here in Dallas we hear this kind of rationale nonsense all the time. Of course it couldn't simply be that people dislike Tony Romo because of TONY ROMO!!!!!! We have had some other QBs in this city that had periods of lesser success than Tony Romo has had yet those QBs didn't create the kind of division between fans like Romo has done. Even Danny White who followed the great Roger Staubach didn't win a Superbowl and yet he had far, far, far less of a negative public personna. So in my opinion it's a complete cop-out to claim the dislike for Romo is because he hasn't won a Superbowl. Of course a Superbowl win would erase a lot of the harsh opinions people have about him but that in no way means those opinions exist BECAUSE he hasn't won one. And another point that needs mentioned: No other Dallas QB has ever played with the talent that Romo has had and had less success with that talent than Romo has. As bad as Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchenson were they weren't hated like Romo was because everybody knew they weren't going to win much because those teams were horrible teams. Romo took over a team that put a record number of players in the Pro Bowl. (even more than the team that won 3 SBs in 4 years).

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM
I dont want to go through the stuff in your post because its a useless exercise for both of us.

What I think is extremely unfortunate is that a guy, that by all accounts is a really good guy, is lumped in with criminals like vick and plax, soon to be criminals like armstrong and documented sorry people like cutler and busch. It really is disgraceful that in a sports world where ray lewis is ridiculously celebrated by a league that a guy like romo makes a most hated list. Shameful.

lostaussie
02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
it really is disgraceful that in a sports world where ray lewis is ridiculously celebrated by a league that a guy like romo makes a most hated list. Shameful.
preach on

Farmersfan
02-13-2013, 11:10 AM
I dont want to go through the stuff in your post because its a useless exercise for both of us.

What I think is extremely unfortunate is that a guy, that by all accounts is a really good guy, is lumped in with criminals like vick and plax, soon to be criminals like armstrong and documented sorry people like cutler and busch. It really is disgraceful that in a sports world where ray lewis is ridiculously celebrated by a league that a guy like romo makes a most hated list. Shameful.

All those "criminals" and "documented sorry people" aren't hated because of what they did. They are hated because of their actions, comments or demeanor before, during and after they are caught. There are a lot of athletes who get accused of crimes that go on to be beloved by most people. So with this knowledge, re-evaluate your opinion of Romo being on this list.................. There is either substance in the wide spread Romo hatred or God himself cast a shadow of hate on everybody who dislikes Romo. Which would you believe?

Farmersfan
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM

I also need to state that in my opinion a large percentage of the Romo hatred comes from people who are sick and damn tired of being told they shouldn't hate Romo and their opinion about him is wrong !

Eagle 1
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
What Forbes had to say about Tony...
Appeal: 27%
That’s life with the high-profile Cowboys - when you don’t get to the Super Bowl, people find a way to blame the QB.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45jmfd/lance-armstrong/

Super Bowl?
Hell what about the playoffs?

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
All those "criminals" and "documented sorry people" aren't hated because of what they did. They are hated because of their actions, comments or demeanor before, during and after they are caught. There are a lot of athletes who get accused of crimes that go on to be beloved by most people. So with this knowledge, re-evaluate your opinion of Romo being on this list.................. There is either substance in the wide spread Romo hatred or God himself cast a shadow of hate on everybody who dislikes Romo. Which would you believe?

I dont understand your point.

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 11:34 AM
I also need to state that in my opinion a large percentage of the Romo hatred comes from people who are sick and damn tired of being told they shouldn't hate Romo and their opinion about him is wrong !

You really HATE Romo?

Phil C
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
I am still surprised that Lance is on the list much less no. 1 with all the people he has helped with his cancer research work.

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
I am still surprised that Lance is on the list much less no. 1 with all the people he has helped with his cancer research work.

The biggest problem with Lance, IMO, is how he treated people during his career. It is well documented that he is a really horrible person.

Old Tiger
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think Te'O should be hated...probably the dumbest but shouldn't be hated.

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't think Te'O should be hated...probably the dumbest but shouldn't be hated.

Well, I'm not sure any of them should be HATED. I know we use that term as a figure of speech, but I could see Teo being hated before Romo. I think it's really clear that Teo was in on this. The only question is at what point was he in on it. I find it really really disgusting that he went along with this lie because he was enjoying the attention that came with it and how it cast such a great light on him and the season his team was having. I find that extremely disturbing and frankly pretty dark.

Ernest T Bass
02-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Very few things will make a man stupid quicker than the kitty.

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Very few things will make a man stupid quicker than the kitty.

But that's one of the things that makes that story so crazy is that he wasn't getting any kitty. :eek:

Ernest T Bass
02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
But that's one of the things that makes that story so crazy is that he wasn't getting any kitty. :eek:

Chasing it makes a man a helluva lot dumber than getting it.

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Chasing it makes a man a helluva lot dumber than getting it.

I understand what you are saying, but being a decent looking star football player on a college campus would lead you to believe that there was very little need for him to chase that. In fact, if you do some internet digging, there are plenty of ND students that have said it was common knowledge that he partied and hooked up with girls all the time.

In short, the guy is/was a fraud and should garner no sympathy, IMO.

Farmersfan
02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
You really HATE Romo?

No I don't hate Tony Romo. I don't know Tony Romo. I have said many, many times that I don't see a better option for the Cowboys at this point than Romo. The thing is I (and apparently a ton of other people) recognize Romo is not going to get it done. And the Cowboys will never find a better option if they aren't actively looking.

Farmersfan
02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I understand what you are saying, but being a decent looking star football player on a college campus would lead you to believe that there was very little need for him to chase that. In fact, if you do some internet digging, there are plenty of ND students that have said it was common knowledge that he partied and hooked up with girls all the time.

In short, the guy is/was a fraud and should garner no sympathy, IMO.

It was all a scam to get him the heisman and he was in on it from the beginning.................

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
No I don't hate Tony Romo. I don't know Tony Romo. I have said many, many times that I don't see a better option for the Cowboys at this point than Romo. The thing is I (and apparently a ton of other people) recognize Romo is not going to get it done. And the Cowboys will never find a better option if they aren't actively looking.

Fair enough. We can all agree that we have differing opnions on his play, but my whole point was how disappointing it was to lump him, AS A PERSON, in with people like Vick, Plax, etc.

Macarthur
02-13-2013, 03:12 PM
It was all a scam to get him the heisman and he was in on it from the beginning.................

I agree.

Farmersfan
02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Fair enough. We can all agree that we have differing opnions on his play, but my whole point was how disappointing it was to lump him, AS A PERSON, in with people like Vick, Plax, etc.

And my point was that apparently far too many people have a dislike of Tony Romo to simply write it off as a media driven thing or because he is unfortunate enough to play for the Dallas Cowboys. You even admitted he isn't a bad person so that only leaves his play on the field and the perceived underachievement while playing as the starting QB of this team. If enough people feel the same way I feel about Tony Romo as a QB that he gets voted the #10 most disliked athlete in America AND twice the top 1 or 2 most overrated player in the NFL then it certainly has merit.

Floyd Mayweather junior. Is a piece of crap but the best boxer in the world.

Heffelfinger
02-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Is it too early to include the SA sprinter Pistorius?

Macarthur
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
And my point was that apparently far too many people have a dislike of Tony Romo to simply write it off as a media driven thing or because he is unfortunate enough to play for the Dallas Cowboys. You even admitted he isn't a bad person so that only leaves his play on the field and the perceived underachievement while playing as the starting QB of this team. If enough people feel the same way I feel about Tony Romo as a QB that he gets voted the #10 most disliked athlete in America AND twice the top 1 or 2 most overrated player in the NFL then it certainly has merit.

And I think its sad that most of these people cant seperate what they view as underachievment on the field with a most hated list that includes convicted felons and other gigantic frauds.

I get that a certain amount is due to him being the cowboys QB and their underachievment. But that doesnt explain it all.

Youre smart enough to know that just because something is popular or lots of people believe something doesnt make it right. This is a country where lavern and shirley was the #1 show on TV. That does not automatically give something merit.

Farmersfan
02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
And I think its sad that most of these people cant seperate what they view as underachievment on the field with a most hated list that includes convicted felons and other gigantic frauds.

I get that a certain amount is due to him being the cowboys QB and their underachievment. But that doesnt explain it all.

Youre smart enough to know that just because something is popular or lots of people believe something doesnt make it right. This is a country where lavern and shirley was the #1 show on TV. That does not automatically give something merit.

Of course something being a wide spread belief doesn't grant any truthfullness to it. That's not what I meant. But in this instance when we are discussing the subjective merits of a professional athletes the more people that hold to a certain opinion the more likely that opinion is to be valid. Especially when Tony Romo's own peer group has labeled him more harshly than any of the people have done. I repeat again, something or someone made all these people feel this way about Romo. Unless God himself cast a spell on everybody then it had to be something that they saw or heard. If there isn't any truth to it then it must have been a huge conspiracy orchestrated by people who wanted Romo to be seen as a failure......... Are you saying that Romo's bad reputation as a QB was a conspiracy? :1popcorn:

Macarthur
02-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Of course something being a wide spread belief doesn't grant any truthfullness to it. That's not what I meant. But in this instance when we are discussing the subjective merits of a professional athletes the more people that hold to a certain opinion the more likely that opinion is to be valid.

I think you might want to rethink this sequence of sentences.

Especially when Tony Romo's own peer group has labeled him more harshly than any of the people have done. I repeat again, something or someone made all these people feel this way about Romo. Unless God himself cast a spell on everybody then it had to be something that they saw or heard. If there isn't any truth to it then it must have been a huge conspiracy orchestrated by people who wanted Romo to be seen as a failure......... Are you saying that Romo's bad reputation as a QB was a conspiracy? :1popcorn:

I think youre missing my point. While I may disagree with folks thinking romo is a choker and he sucks, there is a disconnect between that and being on a most HATED list with criminals.

Farmersfan
02-14-2013, 04:03 PM
I think you might want to rethink this sequence of sentences. .

Huh?

I think youre missing my point. While I may disagree with folks thinking romo is a choker and he sucks, there is a disconnect between that and being on a most HATED list with criminals.

I think the disconnect is with you Mac. The list was made up of a lot of different characters. Some criminals, some known dumb asses and some public A****S. But the list was about the MOST DISLIKED! Unless I missed something it didn't quantify which people could be disliked and which couldn't or what the reasons needed to be for that dislike. The fact that Romo is on a list with criminals and public embarrassments like J. Cutler should be a even bigger reason to understand something is amiss with Tony Romo.....................

Macarthur
02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Huh?

It's contradictory.

I think the disconnect is with you Mac. . But the list was about the MOST DISLIKED!

It says most HATED. Not disliked.

Emerson1
02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
It's that damn backwards hat.

Txbroadcaster
02-15-2013, 08:43 AM
The perception of Romo was cast in the first 3 years...Emerson jokes..but the backward hat, the golfing, the dating of hot women...people perceived that he did not care, did not work hard etc etc..that is the disconnect...he could have won 2 SBs and that would still remain...it is no different than the culture of Cowboy and former Cowboy fans that hate Jerry Jones because he fired Tom Landry.

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
The perception of Romo was cast in the first 3 years...Emerson jokes..but the backward hat, the golfing, the dating of hot women...people perceived that he did not care, did not work hard etc etc..that is the disconnect...he could have won 2 SBs and that would still remain...it is no different than the culture of Cowboy and former Cowboy fans that hate Jerry Jones because he fired Tom Landry.

This thread doesn't need to die TXB. So i'm bring it back to life.

And I agree that a large part of the Romo perception came into existence the first 3 seasons but I also think the last several seasons has re-enforced it. In fact there are far, far, far more Romo haters now than there was after the first 3 seasons. The reputation has continued to grow unchecked since Romo first took over the starting spot for this team. And all those things you mentioned certainly had some responsibility for it but none of those would have mattered if Romo had not done the things he did ON THE FIELD! For example a lot of people could have forgiven and forgotten Romo's huge mistake on the FG late in the playoff game against Seattle if Romo had demonstrated some real remorse about it instead of maintaining an attitude that it's just part of the game and all in a days work. I am a firm believer that all NFL players can play the game. The difference between the GREAT ones and the average ones is atttiude. It's all mental and Romo has failed badly in this department in his career...........

Macarthur
02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
For example a lot of people could have forgiven and forgotten Romo's huge mistake on the FG late in the playoff game against Seattle if Romo had demonstrated some real remorse about it instead of maintaining an attitude that it's just part of the game and all in a days work.

This statement is complete and utter BS.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270106026

"I don't know if I have ever felt this low," the disconsolate quarterback said.

"I know how hard everyone in that locker room worked to get themselves in position to win that game today and for it to end like that, and for me to be the cause is very tough to swallow right now," Romo said. "I take responsibility for messing up at the end there. That's my fault. I cost the Dallas Cowboys a playoff win, and it's going to sit with me a long time."

http://www.fwweekly.com/2011/09/12/off-asides-on-dallas-cowboys-vs-ny-jets/

Before the game started, a TV camera caught Romo slapping hands with teammates and encouraging them to play hard. He showed a fire I hadn’t seen in him before. After the playoff loss against Seattle a few years ago, Romo cried in the locker room, devastated about fumbling a snap. After last night’s loss, he took responsibility for blowing the game with his crunch-time fumble and interception, but he didn’t cry or whine. He came across like a leader willing to take it on the chin and then get back to business.

Of all the things that drive me nuts about Romo criticism, this may be the worst. The storyline that he shows no remorse or having a devil may care attitude is just wrong and boarderline irresponsible. He made some comments after that Philly game that everyone wishes he wouldn't have and people want to blow those out of proportion.

And you keep using this 'everyone hates him so it must have merit' crap. We all know that the masses can be extremely wrong. It's like sharks when blood is in the water. He's become a whipping post and people love to take shots at rich athletes/celebrities. YOu can keep using this as some sort of proof of your position, but it means absolutely nothing.

If all the guys in that lockeroom cared about winning as much as Romo, we wouldn't be talking about the troubles the Cowboys have had the last decade.

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
This statement is complete and utter BS.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270106026

"I don't know if I have ever felt this low," the disconsolate quarterback said.

"I know how hard everyone in that locker room worked to get themselves in position to win that game today and for it to end like that, and for me to be the cause is very tough to swallow right now," Romo said. "I take responsibility for messing up at the end there. That's my fault. I cost the Dallas Cowboys a playoff win, and it's going to sit with me a long time."

http://www.fwweekly.com/2011/09/12/off-asides-on-dallas-cowboys-vs-ny-jets/

Before the game started, a TV camera caught Romo slapping hands with teammates and encouraging them to play hard. He showed a fire I hadn’t seen in him before. After the playoff loss against Seattle a few years ago, Romo cried in the locker room, devastated about fumbling a snap. After last night’s loss, he took responsibility for blowing the game with his crunch-time fumble and interception, but he didn’t cry or whine. He came across like a leader willing to take it on the chin and then get back to business.

Of all the things that drive me nuts about Romo criticism, this may be the worst. The storyline that he shows no remorse or having a devil may care attitude is just wrong and boarderline irresponsible. He made some comments after that Philly game that everyone wishes he wouldn't have and people want to blow those out of proportion.

And you keep using this 'everyone hates him so it must have merit' crap. We all know that the masses can be extremely wrong. It's like sharks when blood is in the water. He's become a whipping post and people love to take shots at rich athletes/celebrities. YOu can keep using this as some sort of proof of your position, but it means absolutely nothing.

If all the guys in that lockeroom cared about winning as much as Romo, we wouldn't be talking about the troubles the Cowboys have had the last decade.

Mac, can you name me a single other public figure that is hated as much as Romo is hated that doesn't deserve it? Just one?

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Here you go Mac:

The top 10 most hated PEOPLE in America. Not limited to just athletes.

1. John Edwards
2. Bernie Madoff
3. Casey Anthony
4. OJ Simpson
5. Mel Gibson
6. Jerry Sandusky
7. Kim Kardashian
8. Micheal Moore
9. Tiger Woods
10. Paris Hilton

Any of these not meet your standards for the kind of hate they have created? You can basically find any kind of list ever done that compiled the top disliked, hated, disapproved, dishonored, or dispised people in the world and everybody on the list will have something in their baggage that created that hate. People don't simply decide to start hating someone as a product of some mass hysteria or mass confusion. Keep telling yourself that the Romo hatred is media driven and you will keep looking like a moron. Just sayin'

http://www.azfamily.com/news/156912755.html?gallery=y&c=y#/news/156912755.html?gallery=y&c=y&img=9&auto=slide

Macarthur
02-20-2013, 02:59 PM
I never said that the Romo hate was media driven. It's a part of it but not driven.

And your list actually makes my point. Yes, virtually everyone on that list has done something either really bad/criminal or really dumb. Are you telling me that Romo belongs on that list?

Macarthur
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
And by the way, if me wondering what people are thinking by putting Romo on a most hated list makes me a moron, I'm fine with that. And I might add that virtually everyone on The Ticket had a segment several weeks ago about this wondering the exact same thing, so I guess they're moron's too.

Phil C
02-20-2013, 03:09 PM
A lot of people were upset when Romo went to Cancon when they felt he should have been preparing for a playoff game. It is hard to see former Cowboy QBs like Troy or Roger doing that because they never did. Also it wasn't done by Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Steve Young, etc.

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 03:12 PM
And by the way, if me wondering what people are thinking by putting Romo on a most hated list makes me a moron, I'm fine with that. And I might add that virtually everyone on The Ticket had a segment several weeks ago about this wondering the exact same thing, so I guess they're moron's too.

Don't mix up my comments Mac. You are fishing................ I said continuing to claim Romo's hatred is media driven is what makes you look like a moron. I never mentioned questioning why people would put him on this kind of list. And continuing to agree that everybody listed on all these hate/disliked lists are valid EXCEPT FOR ROMO also makes you appear a little dense. Think about it a minute!

Macarthur
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Don't mix up my comments Mac. You are fishing................ I said continuing to claim Romo's hatred is media driven is what makes you look like a moron.

I never said it was media driven. I think there are certain people in the media that perpetuate something that has taken on a life of it's own. But I never said media driven.

I never mentioned questioning why people would put him on this kind of list. And continuing to agree that everybody listed on all these hate/disliked lists are valid EXCEPT FOR ROMO also makes you appear a little dense. Think about it a minute!

I never said that either. There are several people on some of these lists that I think is weird.

For example, I don't care for the Kardashians or Paris Hilton, but I find it odd that they are on a list with Casy Anthony and BEnie Madoff.

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
I never said it was media driven. I think there are certain people in the media that perpetuate something that has taken on a life of it's own. But I never said media driven.

I never said that either. There are several people on some of these lists that I think is weird.

For example, I don't care for the Kardashians or Paris Hilton, but I find it odd that they are on a list with Casy Anthony and BEnie Madoff.

We can certainly agree on this Mac. But I have Kim Kardashian on a completely different list of mine!!!!! :eek:

Macarthur
02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
The big booty list. :)

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 03:56 PM
I never said it was media driven. I think there are certain people in the media that perpetuate something that has taken on a life of it's own.

Do you believe that this "life of it's own" concept is limited to just Tony Romo? See, media people present controversial ideas all the time about almost everybody in the public eye. Very, very seldom does it ever really amount to anything other than just fodder for the talking heads in media. Something real has to drive it or it doesn't gain momentum. There have been Dallas QBs in the past with far less success than Romo who weren't hated near as much as Romo. Even non-Cowboy fans hate Romo far more than they hated even Troy Aikman who was killing their own team on the field and winning superbowls. Can you give me another example of a public figure who is dispised as much as Tony Romo is but didn't earn it with their attitude or actions? I have honestly thought about it and cannot think of a single example. I'm serious, can you think of someone?

Farmersfan
02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
The big booty list. :)

Well I guess after watching the video I would have to include Paris Hilton on the list too! I'd do it just once so I would have something to tell my grandchildren..:cheerl:

Macarthur
02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Do you believe that this "life of it's own" concept is limited to just Tony Romo? See, media people present controversial ideas all the time about almost everybody in the public eye. Very, very seldom does it ever really amount to anything other than just fodder for the talking heads in media. Something real has to drive it or it doesn't gain momentum. There have been Dallas QBs in the past with far less success than Romo who weren't hated near as much as Romo. Even non-Cowboy fans hate Romo far more than they hated even Troy Aikman who was killing their own team on the field and winning superbowls. Can you give me another example of a public figure who is dispised as much as Tony Romo is but didn't earn it with their attitude or actions? I have honestly thought about it and cannot think of a single example. I'm serious, can you think of someone?

As a matter of fact, yes I can think of someone else. Our good buddy Lebron has suffered from the same type of 'treatment'.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1218071-lebron-james-ending-the-debate-on-lebrons-clutch-ability

It's the same narrative with Romo. We're told over and over again that he is not clutch, and it's true that Romo has had some high profile failures, but when the whole body of work is looked at, it's jsut not true that he's a choker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4696976/do-stats-lie-no-qb-better-than-tony-romo-in-fourth-quarter

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/tony-romo-choke-artist-or-not/8831/

ronwx5x
02-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Farmersfan hearing the word "Romo" is almost Pavlovian!

Farmersfan
02-21-2013, 09:08 AM
As a matter of fact, yes I can think of someone else. Our good buddy Lebron has suffered from the same type of 'treatment'.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1218071-lebron-james-ending-the-debate-on-lebrons-clutch-ability

It's the same narrative with Romo. We're told over and over again that he is not clutch, and it's true that Romo has had some high profile failures, but when the whole body of work is looked at, it's jsut not true that he's a choker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4696976/do-stats-lie-no-qb-better-than-tony-romo-in-fourth-quarter

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/tony-romo-choke-artist-or-not/8831/

Ok, I can't have a serious conversation with you if you aren't going to think before you post. I asked for people who are publically hated like Romo is and who did nothing to earn that public hate or scorn like you claim for Romo. You bring up Lebron James???? Seriously? Lebron James alienated a nation full of people who loved him when he pulled his antics with the move to Miami! Those who grew to hate him because of the move itself and his perceived dissing of Clevelenland are only part of the group. Others, who couldn't care a single wit about Cleveland learned to hate him because of his attitude and egotistical antics on TV. If you think Lebron didn't earn the hate that people have for him then you are not qualified to discuss Tony Romo because you aren't founded in reality land! Seriously? LEBRON JAMES? :crazy::ack!:

Macarthur
02-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Ok, I can't have a serious conversation with you if you aren't going to think before you post. I asked for people who are publically hated like Romo is and who did nothing to earn that public hate or scorn like you claim for Romo. You bring up Lebron James???? Seriously? Lebron James alienated a nation full of people who loved him when he pulled his antics with the move to Miami! Those who grew to hate him because of the move itself and his perceived dissing of Clevelenland are only part of the group. Others, who couldn't care a single wit about Cleveland learned to hate him because of his attitude and egotistical antics on TV. If you think Lebron didn't earn the hate that people have for him then you are not qualified to discuss Tony Romo because you aren't founded in reality land! Seriously? LEBRON JAMES? :crazy::ack!:

I agree with the annoucement crap. I hated that too. My links are about his reputation as a chocker which parallels the criticism on Romo and neither match reality.

Farmersfan
02-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Farmersfan hearing the word "Romo" is almost Pavlovian!

Why? If the public is conditioned to respond a certain way to the word Romo then why doesn't everyone respond the same way and why would you think the response to "Romo" is different than the responses to the other million or so public figures that the media writes and talks about on a daily basis? I'm not being argumentative about this. I promise! It's just that it doesn't make sense to claim these exemptions for Romo and not think the same exemption would apply to everyone. It's called special pleading! It's when the "rules of the game" don't apply to the one person you are defending and they apply to everyone else. Like I said in the beginning, there is a reason why the media would be able to create a Pavlovian response to the word Romo! If there weren't any truth or validity to what they write it would not gain momentum and become a "condition". As Mac indicated they say some of the same things about Lebron James and some people agree with them and some disagree. But I don't think people "hate" Lebron because of those comments made by the media. They hate Lebron because of WHAT LEBRON DID! No matter what the media says about Romo most people aren't going to "HATE" because of that. Besides, just as many media outlets defend Romo as the ones who talk smack about him. Mac and TXB prove this every time the subject comes up. Mac just referenced The Ticket in his last post. People grew to hate Romo because of Romo himself. Either what he personally did or what he personally said........ To think that media is responsible for this Romo "false hatred" would mean you believe the national media is involved in a big conspiracy............

Macarthur
02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Besides, just as many media outlets defend Romo as the ones who talk smack about him.

I don't agree with this at all.

To think that media is responsible for this Romo "false hatred" would mean you believe the national media is involved in a big conspiracy............

You keep putting words into people's mouths. You said earlier that I clamed this was media driven. That term wasn't entered into the discussion until YOUR post on page 2. And just because the media has groupthink and continually trumpets similar information doesn't make it a conspiracy. You are inflating mine and others argument into a strawman. You make it sound as though we think Romo is the second coming of QBs and we've never said that. We've been very honest about Romo's mistakes and shortcomings. All we've ever argued is that many of the challenges Romo has are the same as other QBs that taken much less heat than Romo.

Farmersfan
02-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I agree with the annoucement crap. I hated that too. My links are about his reputation as a chocker which parallels the criticism on Romo and neither match reality.

I agree to an extent. But the point is Lebron James isn't hated because of a reputation as a choker. And neither is Tony Romo! Besides, being a "choker" is about as subjective as it can get. The best you could rightfully say is it doesn't match YOUR reality. If people think of someone as a choker there is really no real way of disproving that. How many last second shots or late 4th quarter meltdowns constitutes "Choker"? It's subjective! Besides, Lebron wasn't called a choker until after he went to Miami and pulled all his controversial crap. And he wasn't labeled a "choker" until he showed a tendency to perform in a manner that would lead some people to think of him as a choker. It all relative. I'm thinking that if Lebron had ZERO 4th quarter disappearing acts and ZERO missed last second shots then even the haters wouldn't be able label him a choker and to be thought insightful. There has to be smoke in the beginning or the person yelling fire will always be looked at as a idiot.

Farmersfan
02-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't agree with this at all.

You keep putting words into people's mouths. You said earlier that I clamed this was media driven. That term wasn't entered into the discussion until YOUR post on page 2. And just because the media has groupthink and continually trumpets similar information doesn't make it a conspiracy. You are inflating mine and others argument into a strawman. You make it sound as though we think Romo is the second coming of QBs and we've never said that. We've been very honest about Romo's mistakes and shortcomings. All we've ever argued is that many of the challenges Romo has are the same as other QBs that taken much less heat than Romo.

I can't keep up with your twists and turns Mac. We are discussing the FACT that Tony Romo was voted a top 10 most hated athlete in America. You have been defending Romo with a lot of different opinions. You claim Romo doesn't belong on that list with those other people because (in your opinion) Romo isn't like those other people. That's a illogical argument. You have exempted Romo from the same judgement that is applied to everyone else because you believe Romo isn't a criminal or bad person. But the list is about "HATE"! I'm not using a strawman argument at all. ronwx5x made the comment that the name "Romo" seems to be Pavlovian. That means he thinks that maybe the public has been CONDITIONED to think a certain way when they hear that word. My point is that is a intellectual dishonesty to think that way unless you also think the media grants Romo special attention not given to the million or so other athletes that they write and talk about on a daily basis. Or that the public falls for this conditioning about Romo but doesn't fall for it about anyone else. You can't grant Tony Romo a special pleading exemption from the same things everyone else is subjected to. You even compared the hatred of Tony Romo to the reputation of Lebron James as a choker instead of comparing the "hatred" of Lebron James to the "hatred" of Tony Romo. For about the millionth time, people didn't suddenly conspire to start hating Tony Romo just because it's fun to do so. There MUST be a reason so many have jumped on this hatred bandwagon. You must grant that there is at least an equal reason for those to hate Romo as there is for those who don't hate Romo! You can't claim one side of the argument has been somehow hypnotized by media biases or overhype and also claim the other side hasn't.

Macarthur
02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
I can't keep up with your twists and turns Mac.

That's not my problem.

You must grant that there is at least an equal reason for those to hate Romo as there is for those who don't hate Romo! You can't claim one side of the argument has been somehow hypnotized by media biases or overhype and also claim the other side hasn't.

You absolutely do NOT have to grant that the two sides have equal merit.

I fully understand that some of Romo's high profile failures have caused this reputation to start (reason, if you will). What I am arguing is that the REALITY is that his failures are on par or even less than other QBs in similar situations. However, Romo is railed upon as the epitome of a choker. And you also factor in that one side (MINE) is not making a claim that is a polar opposite. No one is claiming that Romo is the best QB in the league and the most clutch; we're simply saying that Romo is a good QB that has flaws just like anyone, but for some reason receives criticism that is disproportionate to his actual play on the field.

Farmersfan
02-21-2013, 03:22 PM
You absolutely do NOT have to grant that the two sides have equal merit.

I fully understand that some of Romo's high profile failures have caused this reputation to start (reason, if you will). What I am arguing is that the REALITY is that his failures are on par or even less than other QBs in similar situations. However, Romo is railed upon as the epitome of a choker. And you also factor in that one side (MINE) is not making a claim that is a polar opposite. No one is claiming that Romo is the best QB in the league and the most clutch; we're simply saying that Romo is a good QB that has flaws just like anyone, but for some reason receives criticism that is disproportionate to his actual play on the field.

Again, and for the millionth time, that is YOUR OPINION! You are using YOUR OPINION to claim all the people who "hate" Tony Romo are wrong in doing so. We have exhausted any real discussion about Romo as a NFL QB or how good or bad he really is. That doesn't matter. What matters is the FACT that so many people H-A-T-E him for some reason. My comments have been directed at the fact that you are trying to disqualify those reasons because you don't agree with them. It doesn't work that way. You can't tell another person they are wrong for hating someone or disliking someone. It's normally instinctual or like someone else said, the result of what they are convinced to believe. Of course you will once again try to claim people have been led to this hate by incorrect media or false information. But that too is ridiculous. Media does what media does. And they do it with EVERYBODY! The media throws the dirty underwear against the wall and where it sticks is where they tend to spend their time. It's not rocket science Mac. If there was no interest in Romo being hated then the media would not promote Romo being hated. The media dealt Quincy Carter misery during his tenure here in Dallas and essentually nobody really cared. The media tried to go after all of Troy's bad attributes but the fanbase really didn't care. Even Danny White prompted a media campaign as a loser and not able to win the big one but that also didn't really gain any momentum. Some of you guys obviously think the media created the frenzy of hatred about Romo but the truth is the "frenzy" is what brought the media...........................There are hundreds and hundreds of other athletes in the world that perform as poorly as Romo has at times and they don't engender this kind of hate. And please don't act like the media doesn't criticize them for it like they do Romo.