PDA

View Full Version : PN-G Forfeits game to Jasper...

bccards
09-03-2003, 10:35 PM
According to local TV Station for playing an inelgible player. One who is 19 years old is what they said. PNG 0 Jasper 1

j_dog
09-03-2003, 11:05 PM
bccards:
According to local TV Station for playing an inelgible player. One who is 19 years old is what they said. PNG 0 Jasper 1For real? That is sad if it is true. Regardless what is on paper, Jasper players and fans will know who really won.

You all probably know it happened to Jasper last year with Newton and it is not a happy feeling. Jasper certainly didn't like "losing" on a forfeit last year, and I am sure will take no joy if they "win" this game on a forfeit.

Bulldog92
09-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Wow. What a sad thing for the fans of Port Neches. :confused:

j_dog
09-03-2003, 11:22 PM
It looks official. Here is an excerpt from an article in the Port Arthur News. It appears to be almost exactly like the cause for the Jasper forfeit last year. A coach trying to give a kid a little playing time... My sympathies to PNG. They deserve better.

" PORT NECHES -- Port Neches-Groves officials announced Wednesday that an ineligible player's participation required the school to forfeit its 38-18 victory over Jasper last Friday.

Indians head football coach Matt Burnett told The Port Arthur News that the participation of 19-year-old student Alex Gutierrez violated a University Interscholastic League constitution and bylaws rule. Therefore, Jasper has been legally awarded a 1-0 victory in the season-opening game.

Ironically, Jasper was required to forfeit a 20-3A district victory over Newton a year ago for the same reason.

UIL assistant athletic director Mark Cousins became aware of the accidental oversight after he was notified on Tuesday afternoon during telephone discussions with Burnett and PN-G principal Roy Esquivel.

A Texas high school student is required to be less than 19 years old on Sept. 1 in order to participate in extracurricular UIL-sanctioned events unless an exceptional circumstance has permitted otherwise.

Gutierrez entered the game only on Jasper's final offensive series. It is believed that Gutierrez participated in just two plays at the end of the game. However, UIL rules do not permit any gray area regarding such illegal participation. Such a violation constitutes a school's automatic disqualification for winning a game..........."

spiveyrat
09-04-2003, 06:49 AM
If he's 19, he should have never even been on this year's squad, right?

Regardless, it's just a bad way to win. Especially when the outcome was decisive.

southern_thunder
09-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Spiveyrat a 19 yearold can play his senior year as long as he turns 19 on or after september 1st.
But as far as the game is concerned everyone knows who really won the game. It is a good thing PN-G found out now before they started district play.

espn1
09-04-2003, 08:32 AM
<small>[ September 04, 2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

Phil C
09-04-2003, 10:33 AM
The loss hurts but at least it happened before the district games. If it had been discovered later it could have been disasterous. That is what happened to the great Bishop team in 1966.

spiveyrat
09-04-2003, 11:45 AM
I just read the rest of the aformentioned article. Apparantly this past spring, the student was told he would be inelegible for football this fall. But yet, he signed up anyway and slipped through the cracks. I'll bet he's getting a hard time at school this week!

crzyjournalist03
09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
so what are Jasper fans' feelings now? Do you now consider your team 1-0 or is it still really 0-1???

Bulldog92
09-04-2003, 12:43 PM
We lost the game and are a 0-1 football team regardless of what the UIL says. I would be willing to bet that last year, most of us Jasper fans considered the Newton game a win even though the same thing happened to us.

Chief Woodman
09-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Does not really matter what the fans or any poll thinks or says. UIL says Jasper is 1-0. It is inexcusable for the PN-G head coach to miss that sort of thing. They knew in the spring and somehow he slipped through the cracks? Give me a break...not unless he had plastic surgery and no one could recognize him anymore. Even at that the name should have been a dead giveaway. Punishment well deserved.

Jerry10ydCurl
09-04-2003, 01:08 PM
They do deserve some credit for reporting it though. Evidently the kid was not an impact player anyway, and had they not self reported the violation, I doubt anyone would have ever found out. I give the coach credit for standing up and doing what is right.

spiveyrat
09-04-2003, 02:16 PM
0-1 frown

j_dog
09-04-2003, 08:19 PM
spiveyrat:
0-1 :(That is right, 0-1.