PDA

View Full Version : House Bill 887...

Roughneck93
02-04-2013, 10:40 PM
...filed by State Rep Eddie Lucio III. Would limit full contact practice to one per week.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/news/member/press-releases/?id=4242&session=83&district=38&bill_code=3610

House Bill 887 (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/html/HB00887I.htm)

slingshot
02-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Football as we know it will be legislated out of existence... more 'protections' will follow.

bobcat1
02-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Get out the flags for flag football or 2 below. Heck better just go to touch football.:dispntd:

Old Tiger
02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
For once Deion Sanders has it right...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/deion-sanders-doubts-nfl-concussion-problem-says-former-225011441--nfl.html

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
What the hell???

And Rep. Lucio is from my neck of the woods too. (Brownsville) Shameful.....I doubt very much this will pass. Most of his constituents in the RGV are rabid HS Football fans. Once word gets out about this, things won't go well for Rep. Lucio.

YTBulldogs
02-05-2013, 05:05 PM
It has some merit to me. Being in the emergency medicine/medical profession myself, I've seen more and more precaution measures being in place for head trauma of the athletes. A good thing and about time. I don't recall losing any kid's for the season and the rest of their career for concussions in the past, and we lost 3 this past season (two no longer can play, 1 out for this year) for concussions.

Not sure daily head contact in practice drills is warranted, to prepare them for the games. Least not daily and it would certainly reduce the amount of head blows sustained over the course of our kid's school career. Which could reduce the cause of long term brain effects IMO. Not sure this bill will pass this go around, but--it's coming in the future. I like to get them (lawmakers/UIL/schools/parents thinking towards this method and do further head/brain trauma research.

cougartino
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Might as well start playing Parcheesi.

Or better yet, join the volleyball team!

slingshot
02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
It has some merit to me. Being in the emergency medicine/medical profession myself, I've seen more and more precaution measures being in place for head trauma of the athletes. A good thing and about time. I don't recall losing any kid's for the season and the rest of their career for concussions in the past, and we lost 3 this past season (two no longer can play, 1 out for this year) for concussions.

Not sure daily head contact in practice drills is warranted, to prepare them for the games. Least not daily and it would certainly reduce the amount of head blows sustained over the course of our kid's school career. Which could reduce the cause of long term brain effects IMO. Not sure this bill will pass this go around, but--it's coming in the future. I like to get them (lawmakers/UIL/schools/parents thinking towards this method and do further head/brain trauma research.

Not disagreeing at all--I think it has some merit also. I'm also a sideline/team doctor and see everything from dislocated elbows to torn ACL's to concussions. Problem is when the state or federal government start legislating the violence out of football it is no longer football as we know it. Ten years from now football will be a very different sport, twenty years from now it may no longer exist... the legislators then the lawyers will see to that.

YTBulldogs
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Maybe it should be a different game than we know it today? If the research proves long term, repeated head blows, results in brain disease.

bobcat1
02-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Let's see, Now we have walk thru scheme Monday, go hard Tuesday and Wednesday, walk thru game and scheme Thursday, film Saturday. So they want to give up Tuesday or Wednesday?? *sigh*