PDA

View Full Version : What a crock of $#!^

Old Tiger
02-01-2013, 08:15 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-waitress-fired-pastor-receipt-193820748.html

This pisses me off so bad IDK why.

ronwx5x
02-01-2013, 08:19 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-waitress-fired-pastor-receipt-193820748.html

This pisses me off so bad IDK why.

Which part, the lack of a tip, blaming God, or the waitress being fired?

Old Tiger
02-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Which part, the lack of a tip, blaming God, or the waitress being fired?

the waitress being fired and the assholeness of the pastor

ronwx5x
02-01-2013, 08:40 AM
From the Merriam-Webster Free Dictionary:
Definition of GRATUITY
: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip

If the charge is actually a gratuity why the automatic charge? Tips were 10% in the past, sort of automatic, but now it seems to be 15-20%. Cost of a meal has inflated, thus the actual $ amount of the tip has risen, so why the inflated %?

Macarthur
02-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Agree, tiger. Ive known many folks that worked in restaurants and virtually all of them say theyve had this kind of crap happen. Leaving bible verses as a tip and such.

That pastor is a complete tool. I dont buy the bs about her being embarrassed. She just got burnes so she doesnt like it. This type of stuff is a window into someones character.

Mojo84
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
I think the "pastor" and waitress were both in the wrong.

pancho villa
02-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I think the Pastor is a Douchebag! I'll bet her kids and husband are dirtwaterers.

Old Tiger
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Definition of GRATUITY
: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially : tip

If the charge is actually a gratuity why the automatic charge? Tips were 10% in the past, sort of automatic, but now it seems to be 15-20%. Cost of a meal has inflated, thus the actual $ amount of the tip has risen, so why the inflated %?Most restaurants automatically add grat of parties or 6 or more and its even stated on the menu. That is to ensure the waitress/waiter a decent tip. I've seen instances where parties of 10 with well over a $100 bill only leave a $2 tip for the table.

Old Tiger
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
I think the "pastor" and waitress were both in the wrong.

See the post I just made.

1st and goal
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
aint the 1st time a waiter has been stiffed.

I agree about 18% automatic is too much. If it's for a party of 6 or more, Then 15% automatic. But if you can't afford to tip, go to McDonalds.

Old Tiger
02-01-2013, 10:27 AM
aint the 1st time a waiter has been stiffed.

I agree about 18% automatic is too much. If it's for a party of 6 or more, Then 15% automatic. But if you can't afford to tip, go to McDonalds.

18% is standard now days...

ronwx5x
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
18% is standard now days...

"Standard" only because the restaurants decided so. When one did it and no one complained, the rest piled on. Tips are given to waitstaff because they are not paid the minimum wage and restaurants can claim it is due to tipping. My own opinion is food servers should be paid at least minimum wage and a gratuity should be just as defined above, free from obligation. I'm doubtful the food service lobby would allow this to happen, so we get to live with it.

NastySlot
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
the waitress being fired and the assholeness of the pastor

Mark it down...I finally 100% agree with one of your post and views.

What a Jackass. Sure she/he doesn't take advantage of clergy tax breaks.

ethsfbnut
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Believe the tip depends on the srevice. Don`t mind 18% if service is top notch. Have had some servers that didn`t merit 1%.

YTBulldogs
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Believe the tip depends on the srevice. Don`t mind 18% if service is top notch. Have had some servers that didn`t merit 1%.

:2thumbsup

Old Tiger
02-01-2013, 12:03 PM

I won't go below 10% regardless of service. If the service is excellent I will even go 25%

regaleagle
02-02-2013, 01:34 AM
I think most of y'all are missing the whole mark here. The restaurant industy as a whole has denigrated the waitstaff position so much that they have transferred the obligation of "fair wage" for said employees to the customer base in the form of higher tips. Whom do you think instituted this policy and whom do you think benefits most from it??? Certainly not the waitstaff, and not the customer either. From my understanding having several friends that are in the restaurant and bar business, most waitstaff cannot expect to be paid even minimum wage if it were not for the tips. The wage is based on something like $2.00/hr. plus tips. I realize that's the way it's been for years, but nowadays the food prices are so high that it's ridiculous to tack on another 15% to the bill, much less 18%. Heck, some businesses in America operate their entire business on less than 25% profit margin, and the restaurant industry is asking you to pay a percentage on the total bill, which is not cost but retail. When you break it down and analyze it from a business perspective, it's a great deal for the industry.....just not so great for the customers. The pastor had a valid point. When you spend $200 or even $300 on a consumable product, or pay a service industry company (pool service, lawn service, carpet service, etc.) it's bill for services rendered, since when do you include a gratuity??? The onus should fall upon the restaurant to pay fair wages, and leave the tipping to the customers as they see fit.

Saggy Aggie
02-02-2013, 02:30 AM
I've been known to tip 30-35% if the service is exceptional. Even when it sucks, I usually tip a little, mainly because I'm very familiar with how hard waiters and waitresses work. If I notice they're working several tables (and i do look), then i cut them a lot of slack.

If theyre just screwing around and neglecting their tables then thats a whole nother story.

Went to Buffalo Wild Wings last night and didnt get a refill the entire time and waited like 15 mins at least to get the check and she was moderately busy. I think I tipped like 10%.

Saggy Aggie
02-02-2013, 02:32 AM
I believe that if waiters and waitresses dont make minimum wage including taxes then the company is obligated to pay them minimum wage hourly for that shift, correct?

Macarthur
02-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I think most of y'all are missing the whole mark here. The restaurant industy as a whole has denigrated the waitstaff position so much that they have transferred the obligation of "fair wage" for said employees to the customer base in the form of higher tips. Whom do you think instituted this policy and whom do you think benefits most from it??? Certainly not the waitstaff, and not the customer either. From my understanding having several friends that are in the restaurant and bar business, most waitstaff cannot expect to be paid even minimum wage if it were not for the tips. The wage is based on something like $2.00/hr. plus tips. I realize that's the way it's been for years, but nowadays the food prices are so high that it's ridiculous to tack on another 15% to the bill, much less 18%. Heck, some businesses in America operate their entire business on less than 25% profit margin, and the restaurant industry is asking you to pay a percentage on the total bill, which is not cost but retail. When you break it down and analyze it from a business perspective, it's a great deal for the industry.....just not so great for the customers. The pastor had a valid point. When you spend $200 or even $300 on a consumable product, or pay a service industry company (pool service, lawn service, carpet service, etc.) it's bill for services rendered, since when do you include a gratuity??? The onus should fall upon the restaurant to pay fair wages, and leave the tipping to the customers as they see fit.

I understand the point you are making on a global level but that still doesnt excuse this pastor being a total ass to this waiter. And you give the pastor too much credit. They were not making some statement about how the service industry is flawed. She was being a cheap ass and a self righteous tool.

NastySlot
02-02-2013, 09:06 AM
I understand the point you are making on a global level but that still doesnt excuse this pastor being a total ass to this waiter. And you give the pastor too much credit. They were not making some statement about how the service industry is flawed. She was being a cheap ass and a self righteous tool.

Off topic but happen to Alex s picture? Why the change?

1st and goal
02-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Even Lubys did away with the tea cart lady and now has wait staff.

Old Tiger
02-02-2013, 09:30 AM

Or consider all the possible tax breaks the pastor receives come on...

Macarthur
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Off topic but happen to Alex s picture? Why the change?

Just thought it was time for a change.

I've also been doing some reading about ol' gen MacArthur and he's a fascinating study.

ronwx5x
02-02-2013, 01:17 PM

I've also been doing some reading about ol' gen MacArthur and he's a fascinating study.
Refused to obey legal orders from his Commander in Chief and lost his job because of it!

rockdale80
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Definition of GRATUITY

If the charge is actually a gratuity why the automatic charge? Tips were 10% in the past, sort of automatic, but now it seems to be 15-20%. Cost of a meal has inflated, thus the actual $ amount of the tip has risen, so why the inflated %?

Charges for large parties are indicated on the menu. If you cannot afford it, then don't go out to eat...

ronwx5x
02-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Charges for large parties are indicated on the menu. If you cannot afford it, then don't go out to eat...

You missed my point. It is a service charge and not a gratuity if I am required to pay, it even if I know about it going in. I always tip and even when there is a service charge I often tip, just not 20%.

A service charge is most likely added due to the fact that dedicated waitstaff has to take care of large parties. I have far less problem with a service charge as I do with waitstaff not being paid at least minimum wage.

Macarthur
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Refused to obey legal orders from his Commander in Chief and lost his job because of it!

Thats an interesting subject. Much of what I have read has never said mac flat out disobeyed orders but he was insubordinate to truman by communicating w congress. His removal was extremely unpopular and trumans approval rating fell to under 25%

Mac was quite egotistical and felt that the military was always right. However he was brilliant and still holds the 3rd highest graduating score at west point. His mistakes in Korea certainly were unfortunate but there is no doubt that he is one of our most interesting military figures.

Manso/V8
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for changing you avatar pic.

Manso/V8
02-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I've been known to tip 30-35% if the service is exceptional. Even when it sucks, I usually tip a little, mainly because I'm very familiar with how hard waiters and waitresses work. If I notice they're working several tables (and i do look), then i cut them a lot of slack.

If theyre just screwing around and neglecting their tables then thats a whole nother story.

Went to Buffalo Wild Wings last night and didnt get a refill the entire time and waited like 15 mins at least to get the check and she was moderately busy. I think I tipped like 10%.

I follow similar guidelines when tipping. I look more at the dollar amount of the type more than the percentage, and gauge the amount of effort they put in along with the amount of time I spend in their section. If I don't order much food, like maybe an appetizer or relatively inexpensive meal, and then sit there drinking tea and watching a game for a while, I don't even think about the percentage.

Farmersfan
02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

I managed a restaurant for 12 years. Of course that was about 12 years ago or more but I can tell you that wait staff are required to make minimum wage or the employer is required to make up the difference. This is the reason a majority of operators put in polices of disclosure for all tips. In the past a waiter or waitress pocketed their own tips and these never got taxed or disclosed to the IRS so when the Government started cracking down on the industry it appeared like waitresses/waiters were making less than minimum wage because much of the income had never been disclosed.
And you will pay whatever the restaurant owner needs you to pay in order to offset his expenses and provide the profit margin that he wants. If the public don't pay gratuity and the owner must suppliment the wages of the wait staff then it will result in higher prices. So look at it this way, you can either pay 18% gratuity or you can pay 18% more on the price of the meal. Either way you are still paying it.