PDA

View Full Version : Texas Food

carter08
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM
yo, 3ADL.

i don't live in texas anymore, & it is pretty cool up here in ohio, but there are so many less options for food here

things i have not had since moving here in august: bbq, boudin, chicken fried steak, etc etc etc.

i am about to finally have enough money to cook myself food.

what are your favorite recipes for texas/southern/tex-mex/cajun etc foods, so that i can steal them & cook them

thx

Roughneck93
01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm actually grilling right now.

Pork ribs and chicken seasoned with Chupacabra Rub.

My sister got me some for Christmas, it's not bad at all. You can order online...

http://www.2gringossalsa.com/store.html

Emerson1
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I forgot you existed.

carter08
01-28-2013, 09:35 PM
I forgot you existed.

thanks

1st and goal
01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm actually grilling right now.

Pork ribs and chicken seasoned with Chupacabra Rub.

My sister got me some for Christmas, it's not bad at all. You can order online...

http://www.2gringossalsa.com/store.html

Its tough to BBQ or grill in the snow and freezing rain. Stay warm. Write home.

Matthew328
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
I miss BBQ and Tex-Mex big time

buckeyebob
01-29-2013, 07:31 AM
yo, 3ADL.

i don't live in texas anymore, & it is pretty cool up here in ohio, but there are so many less options for food here

things i have not had since moving here in august: bbq, boudin, chicken fried steak, etc etc etc.

what are your favorite recipes for texas/southern/tex-mex/cajun etc foods, so that i can steal them & cook them

thx

Here is two for 'ya...spaghetti seems to be unique to East Texas...everyone seems to think their's the best...well worth the time...the cast iron chicken is simple & great...I nor mally do not eat white meat...dry & no flavor...I fix this, eat some & put it in the frig...better when it's a day or two old

East Texas Chicken Spaghetti

1 Pilgrim’s Pride Hen or large Fryer
1 Large Onion
1 Large Bell Pepper
2 Stalks of Celery
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 tsp. Crisco Oil
12 oz. Spaghetti, Angel Hair
10 oz. Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
10 oz. Can Cream of Chicken Soup
Stuffed Olives (Chopped)
Ripe Olives (Chopped)
7 oz. Can of Chopped Mushrooms
12 oz. Velveeta Cheese (Spice it up – use the Mexican)

Place chicken in large pot, cover with water, and boil until done, de-bone and cut into small pieces. Save broth for cooking spaghetti in. Chop onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and sauté with oil until clear. Cook spaghetti per package directions in chicken broth until tender (do not drain – it should be “soupy”). Stir into spaghetti, chopped chicken, sautéed vegetables, soups, olives and mushrooms. Stir well and place in large casserole dish. Slice Velveeta and place on top. Bake in 350-degree oven until cheese is melted and casserole bubbles, approximately 30 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Double the recipe and place excess in aluminum cooking pans, cover and freeze. Do not add the Velveeta until pan is thoroughly thawed and ready to bake.

Cast Iron Skillet Roasted Chicken
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Mix above together for rub

4 lb Chicken
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
Place chicken breast side down & split
down spine. Turn over, open up bird, &
press down firmly to flatten.
Rub spices all over both sides of bird.
Place large cast iron skillet with oil on
burner over medium high heat.
When hot, place bird breast side down
in skillet & brown for 5 minutes.
Flip bird breast side up & roast in oven
for 45 minutes or thickest part reaches
165 degrees.

greendawg84
01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
That must have been one hell of a job offer . I do feel your pain although I have always live in Texas , I worked for Emerson for 15 years and was based out of Cleveland. Always had staff meeting the week before Christmas , my boss said he did it that way because every time I came to town it snowed!

BBQ is awful , and CFS is not CFS its some mess that they soak in gravy :ack!: .

pancho villa
01-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Make tacos nothing to that. And they are goooood!

Twirling Time
01-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Get down to Cincy and get yourself some chili.

YTBulldogs
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Wow, time without chicken fried steak, creme gravy and mashed taters--- must be hard. I can't imagine.

LH Panther Mom
02-07-2013, 05:30 AM
My brother's friend Doug lives in Louisiana & makes some kind of corn thing that my brother has named "Doug's Corn". :D

1 can kernel corn (I drained it, but don't know if it's necessary)
1 can cream corn
1 can Rotel
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
Bacon, cooked & crumbled (brother uses a pound, I lowered to about 3/4)

Mix all together in a medium sauce pan. Heat to boil, lower heat to simmer & cook until cheese is melted, stirring frequently.

SHSBulldog00
02-07-2013, 11:46 AM
yo, 3ADL.

thx

Get down to Cincy and get yourself some chili.

I thought you were in the witness protection program.

Skyline Chili if you go to Cincy.

I'll give you one to try that they use out at Phillips.

The amount is based on how many people you plan on cooking for. I'll go with a small number.

Unit 33 Soup

2 lbs. Hamburger meat
1 - 1 lb 10 oz Ranch Style Beans (Can use smaller can if you don't like so many beans)
2 - 11.5 oz Whole Kernel Corn
2 - 11.5 oz French Cut Green Beans
1 - 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes
1 package of Taco Seasoning
1 package of Ranch Dressing Powder - Make sure you get the powder (I use Hidden Valley)

Get a large pot to cook everything. Fry up the hamburger meat and drain the grease.
Turn the heat down on the stove and add in the other ingredients.
Pour in the Taco Seasoning and Ranch Dressing Powder.
Stir together so it mixes together. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Have some saltine crackers to eat with it.

Farmersfan
02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
My version of Tortilla soup: All to suit your particular taste.

Chicken stock
Rotel tomatoes and green chilis
Cut up package of green onions.
Chipotle chili powder to taste (doesn't take much)
fresh cilantro

simmer all this for several hours. I like to liquify this in a blender and strain to remove any solid pieces. (but still good without blending)

Cut corn tortillas into strips and deep fry until crispy

any type of chicken pieces. I use the packaged Fajita breast and thigh meat baked in the oven until browned and crispy.

Shredded Monterrey jack cheese.

Fresh avocado.

Put chicken, tortilla strips, Monterry jack cheese, avocado and a little fresh cilantro in a bowl and pour over hot soup mix. This is really, really good as the crispy tortilla strips start softening.

regaleagle
02-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Chicken & Dumplings from Heaven made simple.

Just boil your chicken in chicken stock and water with salt, pepper, diced celery and onion til its good and done(falling off the bone). Debone the chicken and set aside. Add a small amt. of poultry seasoning to the stock, and perhaps another can of chicken stock. Bring to a rolling boil and drop in the chicken pieces. Buy some of that Bisquick Mix and follow the directions on the side panel for the dumplings. Just drop them in the boiling stock with a spoon and cover. Brother, you're gonna be eatin' mighty good tonite. Be sure and pepper the heck outta that stuff when you serve it up. Those dumplings should rise like bisquits, but be moist on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Yeah boy....that'll make ya feel right at home.

P.S.>>>>Make sure your stock gets nice and thick with them dumplings in there. You may hafta to add a little flour to thicken it....but watch out. The dumplings will thicken it quite a bit.

regaleagle
02-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Fish en brochette for Dummies.

Talapia Filets or any whitefish(even catfish fillets) will work. One zuchinni and one yellow squash, sliced in medallions. This will be your base layed on the foil sheet. Place the fish fillet(s) on top, dress with a mixture of thin-sliced onions, tomatoe wedges, fresh spinach, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Wrap up that package(make one for each person), place them on a cookie sheet in a 375-degree oven for thirty minutes....and that's it! You'll be a happy camper when you open the pouch and slide it onto the plates. And you'll be feeling like a king afterwards, too. Enjoy.

P.S.>>>>Make sure you use a BIG piece of foil, and get the largest fillets you can find. No mess, no pots and pans.....just good eatin' and quick.

1st and goal
02-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Some really good sounding recipes. On the cheap side, you can just eat like a college student. Totinos on 1 night, bisquick pancakes next, and Kraft Mac and cheese on the 3rd night. Repeat until graduated. You can also buy a can of refried beans and some tortillas and make taco bell bean burritos at home. Just get your buds to sneak you home some taco bell sauces.