PDA

View Full Version : Prayers please from my 3ADL Family

YTBulldogs
01-26-2013, 10:21 PM
I lost my mother this past Halloween, and now my father (age 86) passed away unexpectedly yesterday morning. Dad was career newspaper man (began in Indiana at age 20), and was still working in that profession for my brother who is the publisher of the Palacios beacon, when we found him right where we thought we would, at his desk, writing a city council article.

Pops has worked all over the state Dumas, San Benito, Yoakum, Edna, Johnson City, Port Lavaca, Bogota, Needville, Daingerfield, Ore City, Stephenville, El Campo, Houston Chronicle (covering the Space Center activities) back during the Apollo missions. Stints in Indiana, Missouri prior to moving to Texas. He helped form El Campo's little league program. Amazing father, I will miss him so much. I no longer have parents to seek guidance from, and it breaks my heart knowing they are no longer around.

Dad did retire once, after his stint in Yoakum about 15 years ago. But, that lasted about 3 months. He missed it so much and had to get back to writing. Man truly died doing what he's been doing since age 6, writing.

Scoop27
01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Prayers to you and your family
I knew him well and met him while I worked at the Wharton Journal-Spectator and Bay City Tribune.
He was a great writer, newspaper man, a great member of the community.
He helped me various times during my tenures.
He will be missed

bobcat1
01-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Prayers sent. In the days and years to come, you will have their guidance still YTbulldogs. Just listen for them. They will still guide you in your thoughts. I know my Dad does.

44INAROW
01-27-2013, 12:25 AM
So sorry on the loss of your dad. Sounds like he was a great father and roll model. Prayers for strength and comfort for the family!

SHSBulldog00
01-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Prayers from Sweeny for you and your family. May you live a long and full life like him.

Ville-D
01-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Sorry for the loss.

Prayers sent.

zebrablue2
01-27-2013, 06:20 AM
What a great life your dad had! So sorry for your loss, prayers said and sent..

Blue42
01-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Sorry for your loss sounds like he was a great dad and lived a great full life. May the Lord comfort you and your family through your loss.

Scoop27
01-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Please let me know of the funeral arrangements
Thanks

Scoop27
01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Just found the obit
http://www.taylorbros.net/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1924343&fh_id=10330

1st and goal
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
So sorry for your loss, I can tell that your parents have instilled you with the values needed to be a good citizen. Remember, time on this earth is just a few rock skips compared to what's next if you live your life righteously.

Prayers from Giddings.

Eagle 1
01-27-2013, 10:06 AM
My condolences to you and your family. Sorry about your loss.

regaleagle
01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
YT, I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your Dad. Sounds like he was a great American, a dedicated family man, a credit to the communities he served, and stayed full of life on a daily basis. He was surely blessed. I'm certain he left you with much to be thankful for.

Bull's-eye
01-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Prayers sent from Sugar Land, so sorry for your loss.

YTBulldogs
01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks all. I can assure you, dad is a fading breed when it comes to small town weekly newspaper. Pop's worked the sidelines, walking the yardage of ever football snap up into his 80's, until his grandson took over that duty at the Beacon a couple year's ago. I asked dad one time. Why don't you go to the press box to cover the game. Especially on those rainy, cold and windy games. He told me, the stat's would not be as accurate from up there. Down here, I step the yardage off with my own feet instead of trusting my eye's or a PA's take on the yardage he seen. It had to be accurate to him.

http://www.taylorbros.net/fh/obituar...43&fh_id=10330

Farmer Fran
01-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Prayers to you and your family.

defense51
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Prayers from Alvarado for you and your family.

big daddy russ
01-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Condolences and prayers.

Sounds like your dad lived a full life. Incredible that he was still going strong at that age.

Bullaholic
01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Prayers of comfort from Bull Country for you and your family, YTB. No matter how old we get, we still have an inner child feeling which comes to memory when we lose a parent. I hope you celebrate your father's life as a family with many fond memories and love.

Phil C
01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Sorry for the loss.

Prayers sent.

Me too. A sad loss.

Cam
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
God bless you and your family YT

Roughneck93
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Prayers to you and your family YTB.

Came across this article on chron.com...

http://www.chron.com/default/article/West-former-Chronicle-space-reporter-still-in-4226195.php

YTBulldogs
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Prayers to you and your family YTB.

Came across this article on chron.com...

http://www.chron.com/default/article/West-former-Chronicle-space-reporter-still-in-4226195.php

Awww, thanks Roughneck93. That was Dad. Dedicated to the small town weeklies/bi-weeklies 100%. He could of stayed with the big paper, such as the Chronicle or St. Louis Post-Dispatch (I think that was the name back in the day) and retired comfortably. But, small town coverage was in his blood. Never be another one like him and that type of tenure devoted to the small town paper. Over 60 years of service. Can't be many "Bert's" remaining out there. It's all going to the way of the computer. I can still remember Dad saying, "I'm not using one of those things" (computer) instead of his old typewriter. LOL. He changed, and loved it after a few months I might add. Sure makes putting a paper out ton's easier than the old dark rooms, pasting of pages, etc. Grrrrrrrr. The industry has come a long way, but--I fear the small town weeklies will dwindle. It's all about advertising. And the bigger circulation papers are gaining the lion share of those dollars.

bigwood33
01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Check your PM buddy.

EW

YTBulldogs
01-28-2013, 06:49 PM
TY BW, so kind and thanks for being such a great "puter" friend. Much appreciated from my family. This past year has been a trying one for sure, but--times like this, it's great having an outlet like 3ADL to know others have us in thought and prayer.

YTBulldogs
01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
FYI: Here is the papers my father worked at during his 66 year career.

Publications
Bay City Tribune
Blossom Times
Bogata News
Calhoun County News
Daingerfield News-Ledger
Deport Times
Dumas Moore County News
El Campo News
Four Star Reporter, Yoakum
Harness Daily, Indiana
Harness Horse, Indiana
Horseman & Fair World, Indiana
Houston Chronicle
Indianapolis Star
Jackson County Herald-Tribune
Johnson City Record-Courier
Littlefield News-Leader
Madison Courier
O'Fallon-St. Peters Times, Missouri
Ore City News-Ledger
Palacios Beacon
Pasadena News-Citizen
Port Lavaca Wave-Times
San Benito News
Spaceland Star
St. Charles, MO. Journal
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Stephenville Empire-Tribune
Talco Times
Vernon Record
Victoria Advocate
Yoakum Herald-Times

Scoop27
01-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Story from the Victoria Advocate
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2013/jan/28/sl_bert_west_012913_200448/?counties

LHPfactory
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Prayers for you and your family......

Thats the way to go, not bed bound, sounds like he burned his flame till the last minute...