PDA

View Full Version : Is this pathetic?

Old Tiger
01-23-2013, 06:59 AM
(ROCKDALE)--2 ROCKDALE I-S-D SCHOOLS HAVE BEEN NAMED TO THE STATE'S 2013-2014 PUBLIC EDUCATION GRANT LIST, A GROUP OF THE STATE'S LOWEST PERFORMING SCHOOLS. ROCKDALE HIGH SCHOOL AND ROCKDALE JUNIOR HIGH HAVE BEEN NAMED TO THE LIST. THE CONSEQUENCES OF BEING NAMED TO THE LIST AREN'T CLEAR. STUDENTS IN SUCH SCHOOLS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ELIGIBLE TO TRANSFER OUT OF THOSE SCHOOLS, BUT THAT'S ALREADY THE CASE CURRENTLY WITH MOST PLACES IN THE STATE, THOUGH STANDARDS VARY IN SOME PLACES. THE ROCKDALE SCHOOL BOARD WILL MEET ON MONDAY AT 5:15 PM.

They updated with this...

(ROCKDALE)--WHILE THE STATE WORKS ON A NUMBER OF ISSUES RELATING TO EDUCATION INCLUDING SCHOOL FINANCE, THE LEGISLATURE MADE CHANGES IN THE LAST SESSION WHICH LEFT ROCKDALE IN A PREDICAMENT THAT CAN BE MISLEADING AT FIRST GLANCE. ROCKDALE HIGH SCHOOL AND JUNIOR HIGH WERE INCLUDED ON A LIST OF THE STATE'S LOWEST PERFORMING SCHOOLS, BUT THE LIST WAS GENERATED FROM ACCOUNTABILITY RATINGS FROM 2011, THE LAST ACCOUNTABILITY RATINGS TAKEN BY THE STATE AS IT TRANSITIONS FROM "TAKS" TESTING TO "STAAR" TESTING. THE SCHOOLS HAVE WORKED TO IMPROVE SCORES AND OVERALL EDUCATIONAL QUALITY FOR STUDENTS, THOUGH THE STATE HASN'T GENERATED ACCOUNTABILITY RATINGS TO REFLECT THE CHANGES.

Sounds like trying to spin things to not appear as bad to public.

bobcat1
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Gubment at it's finest.

Rabid Cougar
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
They can always transfer to Milano.

Bullaholic
01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Not all of the blame should be placed on the schools---if all parents would step and insist and assist students in making their grades, there would be no low performing schools. This is a societal issue which is only getting worse.

BEAST
01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
It is somewhat misleading. I am on the board here in Brownwood. While we did not fall in the same category as Rockdale, I think I can shed some light on the subject. The state changed the testing, last year was the first time any kids took that test. So, there isnt a previous year to compare to to see if the kids improved or not. I dont know the full situation in Rockdale, however I wish the state would have given schools a 2 year window with the new test before making any decisions on performance.

BEAST

BEAST
01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Not all of the blame should be placed on the schools---if all parents would step and insist and assist students in making their grades, there would be no low performing schools. This is a societal issue which is only getting worse.

There is a LOT of truth to this statement.

BEAST

Ernest T Bass
01-23-2013, 11:02 AM
NONE of the blame should be placed on the schools---if all parents would step and insist and assist students in making their grades, there would be no low performing schools. This is a societal issue which is only getting worse.

FIFY

A school is a reflection of the community. If a school sucks, it's b/c the community sucks.

Old Tiger
01-23-2013, 01:13 PM
They can always transfer to Milano.

If I were an athlete I would use this and transfer to Cameron.

waterboy
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
There is a LOT of truth to this statement.

BEAST

Yep. A WHOLE lot! My daughters are at the top of their respective classes because their parents actually CARE what their grades are. In turn, our daughters know what we expect of them. We also help them when they have questions on their homework, and give advice on how to find the answers when we can't. With C-Scope the kids have no textbook, and are sometimes not even told how to work the problems at school before they are assigned homework. The teachers can only do so much. It's the PARENTS that have to step up to keep children disciplined enough to do what it takes to perform. I am also NOT a proponent of STAAR, or any of the other state or federally mandated tests that have been forced on our kids and teachers from the powers that be. I don't think it is worth the billions of dollars being spent on them. But, that's just me......

Rabid Cougar
01-23-2013, 01:27 PM
If I were an athlete I would use this and transfer to Cameron.

Don't think that Cameron would take them. Thorndale or Milano.

Old Tiger
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Don't think that Cameron would take them. Thorndale or Milano.

Come on now Rabid...with all Cameron lost to graduation this year I'm sure they would...the AD/Coach don't get to choose who transfers. Its up to the kid to transfer there and compete.

Rabid Cougar
01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Come on now Rabid...with all Cameron lost to graduation this year I'm sure they would...the AD/Coach don't get to choose who transfers. Its up to the kid to transfer there and compete.

Okay.. Only those kids with the last name of "Brooks".

Old Tiger
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Okay.. Only those kids with the last name of "Brooks".

What about the David kid? Gibbs kid?

coach
01-23-2013, 04:05 PM
FIFY

A school is a reflection of the community. If a school sucks, it's b/c the community sucks.

I can't tell you how much I agree with this.

Ernest T Bass
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I can't tell you how much I agree with this.

Schools/teachers get way too much credit/blame for the success/failure of a school.

BEAST
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Yep. A WHOLE lot! My daughters are at the top of their respective classes because their parents actually CARE what their grades are. In turn, our daughters know what we expect of them. We also help them when they have questions on their homework, and give advice on how to find the answers when we can't. With C-Scope the kids have no textbook, and are sometimes not even told how to work the problems at school before they are assigned homework. The teachers can only do so much. It's the PARENTS that have to step up to keep children disciplined enough to do what it takes to perform. I am also NOT a proponent of STAAR, or any of the other state or federally mandated tests that have been forced on our kids and teachers from the powers that be. I don't think it is worth the billions of dollars being spent on them. But, that's just me......

I can say that I agree with you on CScope and STAAR.

BEAST

LHPfactory
01-24-2013, 09:31 AM
FIFY

I agree, I was just talking about this the other day. It dosesnt matter what race or economic status, if parents step up then the kids will make it!

I have heard parents that think education is soley the responsibility of the teachers/schools. In grade school parents have to be involved (not just running their mouth) with every aspect of their childs education. If you have done your job as a parent the child will become more independent and responsible as the grades progress and the teachers have something to work with. You have to sit down with them and help them with homework, even if math isnt your thing, you can figure it out together......

No doubt you have to have a good education system in place as well, this falls on the Educators. One will fail with out the other, I believe all school districts want to succeed, but the bulk of the responsibility is with the parents, that make up the community...... running your mouth and doing nothing or pouring money into the system will not fix the problem that failing schools have!

Politicians wont say this though, it will hurt feelings, cause media mass hysteria, and cost votes.....

Rabid Cougar
01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
What about the David kid? Gibbs kid?

For as long as I have lived/been associated with Cameron ( 45 years) there has always been an athlete named Brooks in Rockdale. All of them have been pretty damd good.

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2013, 10:01 AM
I agree, I was just talking about this the other day. It dosesnt matter what race or economic status, if parents step up then the kids will make it!

I have heard parents that think education is soley the responsibility of the teachers/schools. In grade school parents have to be involved (not just running their mouth) with every aspect of their childs education. If you have done your job as a parent the child will become more independent and responsible as the grades progress and the teachers have something to work with. You have to sit down with them and help them with homework, even if math isnt your thing, you can figure it out together......

No doubt you have to have a good education system in place as well, this falls on the Educators. One will fail with out the other, I believe all school districts want to succeed, but the bulk of the responsibility is with the parents, that make up the community...... running your mouth and doing nothing or pouring money into the system will not fix the problem that failing schools have!

Politicians wont say this though, it will hurt feelings, cause media mass hysteria, and cost votes.....

When you put responsibility on the parents, it kinda makes the whole School Accountability Movement moot, doesn't it?

Cam
01-24-2013, 02:07 PM
When you put responsibility on the parents, it kinda makes the whole School Accountability Movement moot, doesn't it?

It's all about the parents folks...gotta get involved with your kids from the git go...Everyday, when my kids got home from school they'd hear the same annoying questions:
How was school today? Got any homework? Take any tests? How did you do on them? Do you need help with anything?.....and finally, How was practice?
Sometimes my wife and I go nuts trying to help our youngest solve a problem. The ol' brain sometimes doesn't want to remember!.....Now, we're far from being perfect parents for sure. Be we try like hell! And so far it's paid off:
1) Daughter - about to graduate from college in Dallas. Already working at Baylor Hospital. And, in her spare time she baby sits for several doctors families from Baylor and gets paid very well! Shoot, some even gave her Christmas bonuses this year!. Now she's getting this idea of starting her own childcare business. She also gives private swimming lessons to these kids at $40 per kid per 1/2 hour instruction. And, she's an accomplished photographer and does alot of that for many people. She loves working with kids and her degree in child development should help her along. She's a very hard worker.
2) Son #1 - graduated from Burnet in 2011 with 4.19 GPA. Has made the Dean's List in college every semester. Only has about 1 year to go for BS. And will soon begin applying for undergraduate studies at several universities. Wants to get his Ph.d in Physical Therapy.
3) Son #2 - 7th grader who is ranked #1 in his entire class at the moment. Saids his goal is to be valedictorian someday. Wants to be an Orthopedic Surgeon. Was asked by the school to take the SAT test this Saturday along with the high schoolers. Which he's not too happy about cause he's missing his basketball tourny in Wimberley! Anyway, my wife and I pushed and supported our kids the best way we know how. In my case, it was either do your homework or threaten to force them to read all the horrible new limericks and jokes I've written down!!.....so, off to their rooms they go to hit the books!....Works every time!....

Hope I'm not sounding braggish bout my kids here...just trying to make a point. We have sacrificed everything for them. Afterall, that's how it's supposed to be. And we're dang proud of their accomplishments so far! Can't wait to see the end result!...Lord don't take me now...just give me a few more years to see this through! :2thumbsup

1st and goal
01-24-2013, 02:43 PM
It's all about the parents folks...gotta get involved with your kids from the git go...Everyday, when my kids got home from school they'd hear the same annoying questions:
How was school today? Got any homework? Take any tests? How did you do on them? Do you need help with anything?.....and finally, How was practice?
Sometimes my wife and I go nuts trying to help our youngest solve a problem. The ol' brain sometimes doesn't want to remember!.....Now, we're far from being perfect parents for sure. Be we try like hell! And so far it's paid off:
1) Daughter - about to graduate from college in Dallas. Already working at Baylor Hospital. And, in her spare time she baby sits for several doctors families from Baylor and gets paid very well! Shoot, some even gave her Christmas bonuses this year!. Now she's getting this idea of starting her own childcare business. She also gives private swimming lessons to these kids at $40 per kid per 1/2 hour instruction. And, she's an accomplished photographer and does alot of that for many people. She loves working with kids and her degree in child development should help her along. She's a very hard worker.
2) Son #1 - graduated from Burnet in 2011 with 4.19 GPA. Has made the Dean's List in college every semester. Only has about 1 year to go for BS. And will soon begin applying for undergraduate studies at several universities. Wants to get his Ph.d in Physical Therapy.
3) Son #2 - 7th grader who is ranked #1 in his entire class at the moment. Saids his goal is to be valedictorian someday. Wants to be an Orthopedic Surgeon. Was asked by the school to take the SAT test this Saturday along with the high schoolers. Which he's not too happy about cause he's missing his basketball tourny in Wimberley! Anyway, my wife and I pushed and supported our kids the best way we know how. In my case, it was either do your homework or threaten to force them to read all the horrible new limericks and jokes I've written down!!.....so, off to their rooms they go to hit the books!....Works every time!....

Hope I'm not sounding braggish bout my kids here...just trying to make a point. We have sacrificed everything for them. Afterall, that's how it's supposed to be. And we're dang proud of their accomplishments so far! Can't wait to see the end result!...Lord don't take me now...just give me a few more years to see this through! :2thumbsup

Yep, you reap what you sow. Godd job Cammy.

(TigerCamDad....just kidding)

Sounds like you have kids to be proud of. Thank Mrs Cam for me!