PDA

View Full Version : Jason Garrett no longer calling offensive plays...

Roughneck93
01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
...according to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.

Bill Callahan taking over play calling duties.

Lol damn, wasn't Callahan accused of sabotaging Super Bowl XXXVII for the Raiders?! ;)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/jerry-jones-garretts-no-longer-calling-offensive-plays/

FB-fanatic
01-22-2013, 03:58 PM
...according to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.

Bill Callahan taking over play calling duties.

Lol damn, wasn't Callahan accused of sabotaging Super Bowl XXXVII for the Raiders?! ;)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/jerry-jones-garretts-no-longer-calling-offensive-plays/
The key here is that Super Bowl is at least mentioned in the same sentence as Callahan.

Macarthur
01-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Yes, he ran a very good offense the year the Raiders went to the SB. He made a great player out of Rich Gannon and that team could run the ball well.

I actually think Jason Garrett will be a good HC, but he needs to just be the HC.

Bullaholic
01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm glad to hear this---I've sometimes thought that Red J has called some pretty offensive plays at times. Hope Callahan doesn't offend any of us long-suffering Cowboys fans anymore. :D

GrTigers6
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
It will be interesting to see what Romo can do with a West Coast style of offense. If that is what Callahan will run!

Macarthur
01-22-2013, 05:07 PM
It will be interesting to see what Romo can do with a West Coast style of offense. If that is what Callahan will run!

It's my understanding is that JG put a few of those elements in when TO was here so I don't think it will be completely new. I think it will be a hybrid. They are not going to completely abandon the offense JG has been running here for almost 8 years. The thing that encourages me is that Callahan is regarded as a guy that brings some attitude to an offense and will run the football. And I think this allows JG to do what he does best and that's focus on motivating this team and getting guys ready to play. I know he need improvement in game managment but I think that will get better now simply because he's not having to worry about what play to call next.

Rabid Cougar
01-22-2013, 05:17 PM
As long a Jerry Jones has his fingers in the pie it doesn't matter if Chuck Nolan and Tom Landry were Co-head coach and had Jimmie Johnson as an advisor..... nothing will change.

bobcat1
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
As long a Jerry Jones has his fingers in the pie it doesn't matter if Chuck Nolan and Tom Landry were Co-head coach and had Jimmie Johnson as an advisor..... nothing will change.

This!

Old Tiger
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
The playcalling will go from bad to worse.

Bullaholic
01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Interesting how strong the "Tampa Bay" connection is becoming. Some folks think that Jerry is trying to re-assemble Gruden's Tampa Bay staff to make a transition easy if he fires Garrett.

Cam
01-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Interesting how strong the "Tampa Bay" connection is becoming. Some folks think that Jerry is trying to re-assemble Gruden's Tampa Bay staff to make a transition easy if he fires Garrett.

Yea...I heard the same thing on the radio this morning. I'd like to see Chucky in D.

Farmersfan
01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Yea...I heard the same thing on the radio this morning. I'd like to see Chucky in D.

Chucky took over a great team that Tony Dungy built and went 12-4 and won a Superbowl the first season. He then proceeded to go 6 games under .500 for the rest of his Tampa Bay career. I would not consider Jon Gruden an upgrade to Jason Garrett...............

Old Tiger
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Chucky took over a great team that Tony Dungy built and went 12-4 and won a Superbowl the first season. He then proceeded to go 6 games under .500 for the rest of his Tampa Bay career. I would not consider Jon Gruden an upgrade to Jason Garrett...............

What about that Raider team that Chucky beat? Who was there coach prior to that super bowl season?

Macarthur
01-23-2013, 03:24 PM

I tend to agree. I think Gruden has gotten a ton of credit for not a great resume.

coach
01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
He gets a ton of credit bc he "molded" Brett Favre

Trashman
01-23-2013, 06:26 PM
It doesn't matter who calls the plays for the Cowboys....They are an 8-8 team.

Eagle 1
01-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I actually think Jason Garrett will be a good HC, but he needs to just be the HC.

Jimmy Johnson said this early in the season on Fox Sports.
He was criticized by both Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones.

Macarthur
01-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Jimmy Johnson said this early in the season on Fox Sports.
He was criticized by both Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones.

Sure, but in the middle of the season, what do you expect them to say?

Phil C
01-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Does this mean we won't ice our own field goal kicker? :)

Farmersfan
01-24-2013, 09:34 AM
It doesn't matter who calls the plays for the Cowboys....They are an 8-8 team.

The difference between a 8-8 team and a 10-6 or 11-5 team is almost completely mental. As bad as people think of this season's Cowboy team they were a few injuries and some big mistakes by key individuals on the team away from being 10-6 or better. And the Cowboys were a FG that missed by 3' away from beating the Ravens who are playing in the Superbowl. They were a fingertip catch away from beating Atlanta that won their division and probably should be playing in the Superbowl. It's just a matter of inches in this game. If the Cowboys had a coach or a QB that handles those "INCHE'S" better they are a playoff team. Maybe taking the play calling away from Garrett is a first good step. We'll see!

coach
01-24-2013, 02:18 PM
The difference between a 8-8 team and a 10-6 or 11-5 team is almost completely mental. As bad as people think of this season's Cowboy team they were a few injuries and some big mistakes by key individuals on the team away from being 10-6 or better. And the Cowboys were a FG that missed by 3' away from beating the Ravens who are playing in the Superbowl. They were a fingertip catch away from beating Atlanta that won their division and probably should be playing in the Superbowl. It's just a matter of inches in this game. If the Cowboys had a coach or a QB that handles those "INCHE'S" better they are a playoff team. Maybe taking the play calling away from Garrett is a first good step. We'll see!

You forgot a fingernail away from beating the Giants. But I guess that's the qb's fault too..

Eagle 1
01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Sure, but in the middle of the season, what do you expect them to say?

I'm thinking it was still early enough in the season to save the team.