PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or should I go?

Cam
01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
In the near future a career possibility may open up for me in Louisville, Colorado. I've always said I'd live in Colorado someday. This may be my last chance to get there. The family and I will be there this summer for a quick vacation to Estes Park and to check out Louisville. I am very excited. The pros and cons in my mind are:

PROS:
1) Louisville recently ranked as best place to live in the U.S. by Money Magazine
2) Monarch High School ranked as one of the best academically in the nation as well.
3) It's flat out beautiful there!
4) Monarch High (MOHI) has a great athletics programs. 2012 4A State Football Champs. Mascot: Coyotes
5) I get to root for the Broncos instead of the Cowboys!
6) Family members & of course any Downlower would have a place to stay on vacations! Except for maybe some of the Liberty Hill folks!....
7) I could hunt for moose and other critters!
8) Trout fishin'!
9) The mountains!

CONS:
1) It's cold! I'm a born and raised Texan and my knuckles start crackin' and bleedin' at 60 degrees!
2) Would be farther away from two oldest kids. One in San Angelo & one in Dallas.
3) Might have a hard time convincing my 7th grade boy to leave Burnet. He's already protested to the idea.
4) Annual medium income for folks in Louisville is about $18,000 higher than Burnet. Which probably means I gotta put up with more snobby uppity folks!
5) There's no 3A Downlow in Colorado!! :bigcry:
6) Bears! Some of which I here will break into your home just to use your bathroom! Can you imagine the size of the dingleberries they leave behind?!!

Can ya'll think of anything else I need to consider?

GrTigers6
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
In the near future a career possibility may open up for me in Louisville, Colorado. I've always said I'd live in Colorado someday. This may be my last chance to get there. The family and I will be there this summer for a quick vacation to Estes Park and to check out Louisville. I am very excited. The pros and cons in my mind are:

PROS:
1) Louisville recently ranked as best place to live in the U.S. by Money Magazine
2) Monarch High School ranked as one of the best academically in the nation as well.
4) Monarch High (MOHI) has a great athletics programs. 2012 4A State Football Champs. Mascot: Coyotes
6) Family members & of course any Downlower would have a place to stay on vacations! Except for maybe some of the Liberty Hill folks!....
8) Trout fishin'!
9) The mountains!

CONS:
1) It's cold! I'm a born and raised Texan and my knuckles start crackin' and bleedin' at 60 degrees!
2) Would be farther away from two oldest kids. One in San Angelo & one in Dallas.
3) Might have a hard time convincing my 7th grade boy to leave Burnet. He's already protested to the idea.
4) Annual medium income for folks in Louisville is about $18,000 higher than Burnet. Which probably means I gotta put up with more snobby uppity folks!
6) Bears! Some of which I here will break into your home just to use your bathroom! Can you imagine the size of the dingleberries they leave behind?!!

Except the Broncos cant win a playoff game either! :D
And as long as you have the internet you will have the downlow!
Just be ready for 8 mobths of winter! lol

Maroon87
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
As a lifelong Texan that moved to Kansas City a couple years ago, I can say that you get used to the cold pretty easily. It's dealing with snow and ice that's a pain in the tail.

panfan
01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Born and raised in South Texas, went to college here, graduate and then move to Laramie, Wyoming (5 years) , then Berthoud, CO (+5 years), then back to Texas. Currently work for and regularly visit my home office in Boulder, CO.

Tips for the Displaced Texan:
Cold is just like the heat here, instead of shedding clothes, just put more on!
Probably won't run into Bears in Lewisville - its the burbs on the plains. Canada geese though will attack.
Look for housing that is not in Boulder county - damn expensive there
To survive the winter, one must embrace it - otherwise cabin fever is very real.
Your extra large gulf coast fishing gear is a bit much for trout you will encounter, try some light weight line and tackle.
CO is a mix of liberals (Boulder), and moderates and conservatives (denver and surrounding areas) - think of it like Austin and all the areas around Austin.
To live in CO - one must drive a subaru outback - the official vehicle.
CO HS football is not in the same ball park as Texas HS football, sorry.
Buy a bike and learn to be a cyclist - everyone there bikes.
The Rockies suck, but the field is nice.
One must own a snow shovel and be prepared to use it.
Expect about 6 months of winter and then the rest of the seasons (they make up for the winter).
Moose pemits hard to draw - go for elk - good luck. I hunted hard and never got a shot off - usually cause I had the wrong tag at the wrong time.
Mexican food there is New Mexican - not Tex-mex, have source in Texas for tortillas and adjust taste buds to like green chile instead of ranchero sauce.
BBQ is non existant - see above and have source in Texas
Sea food - well it will all be frozen
Be prepared for first year expenses - snow shovel, snow tires or at least winter tires, coats, hats, wool socks, etc.
Take advantage of the public lands.
Have fun - lots of outdoor activities available

defense51
01-18-2013, 01:36 PM
The biggest con: you're not in Texas!!!

BwdLion73
01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
I just got back from a little 2 1/2 month stay with Hurrican Sandy. I have never been so happy as the day I dropped off I-40 and onto 20 in Mississippi. I guess Colorado may not be as bad as New Jersey, Mass., New York ect. but nothing compares to Texas. All I could think of was Davy Crockett saying "You can go to hell I'm going to Texas" it's all that kept me going.

However is your 7th grader is skilled and interested in football... Brownwood would recommand you leave for Colorado as soon as possible. ;)

1st and goal
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't go just for the dinglebeary problem alone.....

Hot here/Cold there, except here you don't have to shove any da_g snow just to get out of your door. great to visit for a week though.

Rabid Cougar
01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Coloradans, or whatever they are called, HATE Texans. But i guess if you move to the burbs, you will be amongst move-in foreigners anyway.

FB-fanatic
01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I just got back from a little 2 1/2 month stay with Hurrican Sandy. I have never been so happy as the day I dropped off I-40 and onto 20 in Mississippi. I guess Colorado may not be as bad as New Jersey, Mass., New York ect. but nothing compares to Texas. All I could think of was Davy Crockett saying "You can go to hell I'm going to Texas" it's all that kept me going.

However is your 7th grader is skilled and interested in football... Brownwood would recommand you leave for Colorado as soon as possible. ;)
BTW, you wouldn't happen to be doing work with Wardlaw out of Waco or Pacesetters in Tulsa, were you?

lostaussie
01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Pretty sure they got no moose in Colorado:D Maybe you are thinking of an elk:D ............and then again maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But I do lots of hunting...........and never once heard of anybody booking a moose trip in Colorado.

FB-fanatic
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Colorado is actually closer than San Angelo, isn't it?

lostaussie
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
I could hunt for moose and other critters!

After further thought...........I guess you could HUNT for moose. I just wouldn't expect to catch any:D

panfan
01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Coloradans, or whatever they are called, HATE Texans. But i guess if you move to the burbs, you will be amongst move-in foreigners anyway.

They hate californians more - I met so few native Coloradans, most from upper mid west and back east who came out and never left. HATE is the term used by folks in Wyoming for the "greenies" - folks from colorado.

panfan
01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Moose in North park area of Colorado near the North Platte.

Cam
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I could hunt for moose and other critters!

After further thought...........I guess you could HUNT for moose. I just wouldn't expect to catch any:D

by golly I think you are right!.....Elk, moosesses, moose, meese (like Moe on Three Stooges used to call em'), hell I don't know....they all look the same to me! But technically, I think moose do exist in Colorado. In 1978, a few breeding pairs were reintroduced in western Colorado, and the state's moose population is now more than 1,000.

Cam
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Not too worried bout that....once they meet ol' Cam they'll love me!...:inlove:......well, maybe the mens will hate me cause their womans will be makin' googoo eyes at me!......:crazy:......gettin' mighty deep round here!......

Cam
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
They hate californians more - I met so few native Coloradans, most from upper mid west and back east who came out and never left. HATE is the term used by folks in Wyoming for the "greenies" - folks from colorado.

ah shoot! them Wyominians are just bitter at everybody cause they'll be the first to go when ol' Faithful and everything else underneath really erupts for real and ends the world........

Cam
01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Colorado is actually closer than San Angelo, isn't it?

....actually, Colorado is bout 13 miles just up the road from Angelo!.....

BwdLion73
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
BTW, you wouldn't happen to be doing work with Wardlaw out of Waco or Pacesetters in Tulsa, were you?

No, I know of them....and my wife has done some independant contract stuff for both of them years back. Our business has a contract out of Florida. (I should say my wifes business)

Cam
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
No, I know of them....and my wife has done some independant contract stuff for both of them years back. Our business has a contract out of Florida. (I should say my wifes business)

.....ohhh...so that's how it is.....freeloadin' huh?.......

ronwx5x
01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Never use 30 wt oil in your vehicles. 5W30 or better only.
Never leave a hose attached to an outside faucet.
Don't live in a 2 story house facing north, your yard and sidewalk will be frozen for months.
Don't believe your realtor when he/she tries to tell you you won't need A/C. Days get HOT in the summer. Evenings and nights are great in the summer.
Expect to buy a new windshield at least every other year. The tiniest rock will cause a massive crack.
Keep your vehicles in a garage all winter.
Be sure your home has a direct entry to the garage so you don't have to go outside to get to your vehicles.
Don't plant your garden before Memorial Day. It WILL snow in May (probably more than once).

panfan
01-18-2013, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=ronwx5x;1735317]Never use 30 wt oil in your vehicles. 5W30 or better only.
Don't live in a 2 story house facing north, your yard and sidewalk will be frozen for months.
Don't believe your realtor when he/she tries to tell you you won't need A/C. Days get HOT in the summer. Evenings and nights are great in the summer.
Expect to buy a new windshield at least every other year. The tiniest rock will cause a massive crack.
Be sure your home has a direct entry to the garage so you don't have to go outside to get to your vehicles.
Don't plant your garden before Memorial Day. It WILL snow in May (probably more than once).[/QUOTE

:iagree:

Will add if you drive a diesel, add the stuff so your fuel don't gel!

BwdLion73
01-18-2013, 05:47 PM
.....ohhh...so that's how it is.....freeloadin' huh?.......

Yup...I retired after 34 years last July. I've worked more than ever since....;)

coach
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Didn't know you we're in Burnet. I have kinfolk there. Best of luck to you. I'm also at a crossroads and trying to figure out where I want to coach next year.

Old LB
01-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Hell, why not just shoot yourself in the leg! Probably be about as much fun as leaving Texas.

PROS:
8) Trout fishin'!
9) The mountains!

CONS:

Medical marijuanna and now has been approved for recreational use for everyone over 21. That could be good or bad

Smitty
01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Colorado does not sound so bad now......recreational marijuanna all winter......think I will check out my companies online job openings for Colorado! If your going to be indoors all winter might as well have a Rocky Mountain HIGH!

Rabid Cougar
01-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Moose in North park area of Colorado near the North Platte.

Had a cow and calf wonder through my campsite at the Timber Creek Campground in Rocky Mountain National Park. There is no mistaking one for an elk. Okay just mentioning the park would make it worth moving there.

Diocletian
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I've been fortunate enough to spend a little time in Denver. Being raised a Central/South Texan my whole life... I have to say the scene is nothing short of breathtaking. The people were genuine and very different from Texas. Also one thing I found out very fast...if you are from Texas, be prepared to be the butt of several jokes for a while... this of course was also true in the other states I've lived (IL, CA, AR, LA, OK). Certainly, directly related to how social you are.

Cam
01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
I've been fortunate enough to spend a little time in Denver. Being raised a Central/South Texan my whole life... I have to say the scene is nothing short of breathtaking. The people were genuine and very different from Texas. Also one thing I found out very fast...if you are from Texas, be prepared to be the butt of several jokes for a while... this of course was also true in the other states I've lived (IL, CA, AR, LA, OK). Certainly, directly related to how social you are.

oh man...I'd love to be the butt of jokes!.....and them Coloradians best be prepared for the ol' Texas "Cam Comebacks"!.....:D

Cam
01-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Didn't know you we're in Burnet. I have kinfolk there. Best of luck to you. I'm also at a crossroads and trying to figure out where I want to coach next year.

Yea, I've been a Burnetian for bout 8 years now......Great place to raise your kids for sure.....if I had any complaints it would be that the town is a bit cliquish.....but I'd bet most small towns are that a way.....

Cam
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Yup...I retired after 34 years last July. I've worked more than ever since....;)

Dang! Wish I could retire!....but with two in college and a 7th grader makin' noise that he's gonna be an orthopedic surgeon, hell, I'm never gonna retire!.......

greendawg84
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Its only cliquish if you were not born and raised here ....:) I did not even know there was such a word as Burnetian .... Where the hell you come up with all this new lingo .... That sounds like Valley talk to me ..

Them folks in Colorado will all be your friend if you have a stash to share :eek:

greendawg84
01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Besides that , Little Cam aint gonna go for no Colorado move , it would be to far from San Angelo to commute for the older boy. :wave:

greendawg84
01-21-2013, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=ronwx5x;1735317]Never use 30 wt oil in your vehicles. 5W30 or better only.
Don't plant your garden before Memorial Day. It WILL snow in May (probably more than once).[/QUOTE

:iagree:

Will add if you drive a diesel, add the stuff so your fuel don't gel!

panfan , Cam don't need no help from you , I see what your up to , move as many of the Dawgs outta here as possible !

Cam
01-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Besides that , Little Cam aint gonna go for no Colorado move , it would be to far from San Angelo to commute for the older boy. :wave:

Ya gotta remember though that my boy only has bout 1 year to go at Angelo.....then he's got to apply to get accepted for his Ph.d schoolin'.....and that could be in alot of places if Angelo don't accept him....like maybe Colorado U. or Colorado State!.....And, if he becomes a Colorado Buffalo I can finally tell buff4ever I like buffaloes.....ones that are painted that is!......:taunt:

Cam
01-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Its only cliquish if you were not born and raised here ....:) I did not even know there was such a word as Burnetian .... Where the hell you come up with all this new lingo .... That sounds like Valley talk to me ..

Them folks in Colorado will all be your friend if you have a stash to share :eek:

Well..I did spend some time in the Rio Grande "Valley".....but I don't think that's what Valley you're thinkin' bout........In the Rio Grande "Valley" I did learn me some words though: Such as,

orale ese!
te pongo una chinga cabron!
quieres chingasos?
pinche way!
que vato!
no vales verga!
etc..etc.....such vulgarity I tell ya!.....