PDA

View Full Version : Upshur County school second in state to arm selected teachers

lostaussie
01-18-2013, 07:50 AM
http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/union-grove-isd-oks-arming-some-teachers-administrators/article_88f3aa07-12f4-5df1-ad82-4a06503e9f8d.html

waterboy
01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I believe this is a better prevention method than "gun control". Way to go Union Grove.

Old Tiger
01-18-2013, 08:31 AM
What if a teacher loses it and is one of the selected armed teachers?

waterboy
01-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Have another armed teacher take the idiot teacher out?:thinking: What keeps police officers from going postal? The same applies to armed teachers.

Ernest T Bass
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
This is a bad idea....

lostaussie
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
This is a bad idea....Maybe..........but it has been working in Harrold Tx for several years now. If I were a teacher I would want to be one of the selected.

I also have met the Supt. at Union Grove, Brian Gray. Very level headed individual who thinks with all his heart he is making the correct decision. Got lots if not all of the communities support and that is very important in a decision of this magnatude.

GrTigers6
01-18-2013, 10:11 AM
This is a bad idea....Why is that? Not knowing who is packing and who is not may deter some gunmen from that location. It will definitely make one think about wether the person in that room is armed or not! Yes you may have issues with stressed teachers or possibly some kid getting ahold of the gun and thats the details they will have to iron out. But no police department can afford to put an officer at each campus in their district. We have 4 campuses and only one officer and he isnt here all the time. As long as they get the training and the district feels comfortable with that individual in that crisis situatuion then I say take back our schools and make the gunmen think twice about invading!

Ernest T Bass
01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Ive been in this profession for 10 years. There are damned few educators Ive met that I'd feel comfortable having a gun around me. Most high schools have armed SRO's on campus, but most elementaries don't. Change that. That's the answer.

sinfan75
01-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Sinton will have armed security startin wednesday!

Spanish Camp
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Ive been in this profession for 10 years. There are damned few educators Ive met that I'd feel comfortable having a gun around me. Most high schools have armed SRO's on campus, but most elementaries don't. Change that. That's the answer.

This.

defense51
01-18-2013, 09:45 PM

What if they don't?

sinfan75
01-18-2013, 10:18 PM
This.Armed security at Sinton will be in all schools, pre-K to high school.
Also other security measures have already been put in place.

YTBulldogs
01-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Armed security at Sinton will be in all schools, pre-K to high school.
Also other security measures have already been put in place.

Yes, I agree. This is the way to go. Congrats Sinton ISD. If it's good enough for the presidents kids (past and present) it's good enough for mine. We have armed guards for our money, airports, and dumb ass newspapers that release locations of gun owners, but -- not our kids!!!

Hendo
01-19-2013, 08:41 AM

If you live your life trying to avoid all of the what ifs, then I feel sorry for you. What if a drunk driver crosses the yellow line?

YTBulldogs
01-19-2013, 08:44 AM
If you live your life trying to avoid all of the what ifs, then I feel sorry for you. What if a drunk driver crosses the yellow line?

Car's kill more kid's than guns, where's the ban debate on them?

Hendo
01-19-2013, 06:49 PM

My point exactly.

buckeyebob
01-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Why is that? Not knowing who is packing and who is not may deter some gunmen from that location. It will definitely make one think about wether the person in that room is armed or not! Yes you may have issues with stressed teachers or possibly some kid getting ahold of the gun and thats the details they will have to iron out. But no police department can afford to put an officer at each campus in their district. We have 4 campuses and only one officer and he isnt here all the time. As long as they get the training and the district feels comfortable with that individual in that crisis situatuion then I say take back our schools and make the gunmen think twice about invading!

Gilmer has an armed deputy sherriff at High, Jr High, Elem / Intermediate (2 schools, same loaction)...cost is $130k per year, paid for by school...started several years ago...works well.

BEAST
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Cars and guns kill exactly the same number of people every year, ZERO. People kill people.

BEAST

Old Tiger
01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Cars and guns kill exactly the same number of people every year, ZERO. People kill people.

BEASTSo we should ban people from guns?

BEAST
01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
So we should ban people from guns?

It wouldnt work. Thats the point. Should we do our best to guns out of the hands of crazies? Sure we should.

BEAST

speedbump
01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
I believe this is a better prevention method than "gun control". Way to go Union Grove.

So will they be allowed to wear their Rambo wanna be outfit and carry an assault weapon?

speedbump
01-21-2013, 04:15 PM

So cars were designed to kill people and serve no other purpose to the general population of America?

lostaussie
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
So cars were designed to kill people and serve no other purpose to the general population of America?lets ask it this way

So guns were designed to kill people and serve no other purpose to the general population of America? :doh:

speedbump
01-21-2013, 08:25 PM
lets ask it this way

So guns were designed to kill people and serve no other purpose to the general population of America? :doh:

Assault weapons son, assault weapons. They have no business in the hands of the general population,period. Why is it so hard for you people to understand nobody is going to take your "guns" away from you.

defense51
01-21-2013, 11:45 PM
Assault weapons son, assault weapons. They have no business in the hands of the general population,period.
Why not?

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
George Washington

buckeyebob
01-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Assault weapons son, assault weapons. They have no business in the hands of the general population,period. Why is it so hard for you people to understand nobody is going to take your "guns" away from you.

What is an Assault Weapon? A semi-auto or full auto...one with a pistol grip? I have a Belgian made BAR...Browning Automatic Rifle 30.06 (not fulley auto), holds 10 rounds...a work of art...is this an Assault Weapon? Banning guns is a wimps way of dealing with the issues...goyya get the crazies that go crazy, not the law abiding citizen who is executing his 2nd Ammendment Right.

waterboy
01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Why not?

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
George Washington

Exactly. If you take "assault weapons" away from the general public, tell them WHO would be the only ones WITH assault weapons? CRIMINALS! It is NOT paranoia that WE THE PEOPLE are having. It's the liberal left who are having paranoia, and that paranoia is being fed by the liberal media. The second amendment was ratified for a reason (for the people to protect themselves from ALL enemies foreign and domestic, and YES, that includes being able to own assault weapons, even though they weren't available when the amendment was ratified), and is not to be infringed upon by a paranoid government or its leftist media. In my opinion, the media has a LOT to do with people wanting their 15 minutes of fame, although the media turns it into weeks, months, or years of fame to further their political leanings. What would the "media" do if the president and all his cabinet were to attack the 1st Amendment?

YTBulldogs
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Regardless what they ban, the nut's will find a way to cause killings with many other methods.

Ernest T Bass
01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
No new gun bans.
Keep the ones we already have.
Require background checks on ALL gun purchases(including gun shows)
Put an armed SRO on every campus.
Problem solved.
ETB for President!

defense51
01-22-2013, 02:21 PM

The assault weapons ban being proposed is a prime example of ignorance and deception. “Assault Rifle” (AR) has become a pair of dirty words, spit out by anti-gunners with breathtaking ignorance.An AR is nothing more than another semi-automatic rifle with a pistol grip that makes it look “mean.” About half of the TV talking heads get it wrong by confusing semi-automatic with automatic weapons.An automatic weapon rapidly fires bullets continually as long as the trigger is depressed, a feature that has been illegal without a special permit for decades.An AR is a semi-automatic weapon, meaning it fires one round with each trigger pull. Countless types of semi-automatic rifles and handguns have been owned and sold in America for a century.Limiting magazines to 10 rounds may sound reasonable but will have little effect since replacing an empty magazine with a fresh load takes about two seconds.Anti-gunners say we don’t need an AR to hunt. Well, pardon me for being a purist on Constitutional rights, but the Second Amendment doesn’t say a word about hunting, and I don’t need the government telling me which weapon I should use to hunt.As it turns out, if I were to hunt deer, I would use my AR, a .223 caliber with a scope that I now use only at the range to punch target holes close together – at least I try – at 100 yards. But whether I hunt or not isn’t my government’s business.Interestingly, the very popular .30-06 semi-automatic deer rifle is not affected by the proposed AR ban, but it fires just as fast as my AR with rounds twice as powerful.You can even find that deer rifle with a more comfortable pistol grip and high capacity magazines, that is if you need proof positive the proposed AR ban accomplishes nothing. But it does appeal to the emotions of the ignorant.

speedbump
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
The assault weapons ban being proposed is a prime example of ignorance and deception. “Assault Rifle” (AR) has become a pair of dirty words, spit out by anti-gunners with breathtaking ignorance.An AR is nothing more than another semi-automatic rifle with a pistol grip that makes it look “mean.” About half of the TV talking heads get it wrong by confusing semi-automatic with automatic weapons.An automatic weapon rapidly fires bullets continually as long as the trigger is depressed, a feature that has been illegal without a special permit for decades.An AR is a semi-automatic weapon, meaning it fires one round with each trigger pull. Countless types of semi-automatic rifles and handguns have been owned and sold in America for a century.Limiting magazines to 10 rounds may sound reasonable but will have little effect since replacing an empty magazine with a fresh load takes about two seconds.Anti-gunners say we don’t need an AR to hunt. Well, pardon me for being a purist on Constitutional rights, but the Second Amendment doesn’t say a word about hunting, and I don’t need the government telling me which weapon I should use to hunt.As it turns out, if I were to hunt deer, I would use my AR, a .223 caliber with a scope that I now use only at the range to punch target holes close together – at least I try – at 100 yards. But whether I hunt or not isn’t my government’s business.Interestingly, the very popular .30-06 semi-automatic deer rifle is not affected by the proposed AR ban, but it fires just as fast as my AR with rounds twice as powerful.You can even find that deer rifle with a more comfortable pistol grip and high capacity magazines, that is if you need proof positive the proposed AR ban accomplishes nothing. But it does appeal to the emotions of the ignorant.

Fully automatic weapons have needed a special permit for decades?? My GAAWWWWD !! How in the world have you managed to survive ??? And who in the government has , is or will tell you in the future what to hunt with. This is about kids and every other innocent person dying at the hands of the people that use these weapons,it's not about animals. Neither I nor the government gives a rats kazoo about what you hunt with. Throw rocks at em if you want. Those kids had a RIGHT to live a complete life. Which would you rather lose, the right they lost or your right to own assault weapons. Take your time and answer honestly.

BwdLion73
01-22-2013, 09:31 PM
wow..........

buckeyebob
01-23-2013, 07:21 AM
No new gun bans.
Keep the ones we already have.
Require background checks on ALL gun purchases(including gun shows)
Put an armed SRO on every campus.
Problem solved.
ETB for President!

I have a gun that I want to sell to my brother...gotta to do a background check? How much this gonna cost? It is a Benjamin Pellet Rifle...or a single shot .22...or a civil war musket... do you realize that the gov. does not go after people that try to buy a gun with a background check that rejects them? The gov. needs to start governing & keep their nose out of my business...enforce the laws on the books & see how that works first.

buckeyebob
01-23-2013, 07:34 AM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=002B

Take a look at these...fine stuff...the pablem puking Igmos would do away with them...look at the "new Hog Stalker"...assault weapon!!! The ignorance of the elite amaze me.

waterboy
01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Fully automatic weapons have needed a special permit for decades?? My GAAWWWWD !! How in the world have you managed to survive ??? And who in the government has , is or will tell you in the future what to hunt with. This is about kids and every other innocent person dying at the hands of the people that use these weapons,it's not about animals. Neither I nor the government gives a rats kazoo about what you hunt with. Throw rocks at em if you want. Those kids had a RIGHT to live a complete life. Which would you rather lose, the right they lost or your right to own assault weapons. Take your time and answer honestly.

Gun bans will solve NOTHING. That I can guarantee you. The media is playing on the peoples' emotions because some innocent children lost their lives to a SICK MAN, not because of the gun he used. It wouldn't have mattered what he had available to him if he set his mind to kill people. The answer is somewhere in the MENTAL HEALTH availability for people who are sick, not banning any particular type of gun. Why can't people see through the medias' lies? STOP AND THINK! Good grief!

lostaussie
01-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Fully automatic weapons have needed a special permit for decades?? My GAAWWWWD !! How in the world have you managed to survive ??? You sir are the one who seems to be uninformed about weapons in this conversation..........and I hate, absolutely despise the bastard who killed all those innocent people at Sandy Hook. But the guns didn't do it. It was a sick human who did.

YTBulldogs
01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Gun bans will solve NOTHING. That I can guarantee you. The media is playing on the peoples' emotions because some innocent children lost their lives to a SICK MAN, not because of the gun he used. It wouldn't have mattered what he had available to him if he set his mind to kill people. The answer is somewhere in the MENTAL HEALTH availability for people who are sick, not banning any particular type of gun. Why can't people see through the medias' lies? STOP AND THINK! Good grief!

:ditto:

icu812
01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Van ISD school board approved arming selected teachers at each campus. Press release was today. Our children and teachers are no longer sitting ducks until the police get there. In Van we have had two close calls in recent years. This year a parent who had already killed his ex and taken a Tyler student drove to Van to take a student but was spotted outside the building. The guy that shot the Canton coach also passed through before getting caught. We have been on lockdown several other times when the bad guys decide to pull off I-20 and hide in Van. Wise choice by our school board IMO.

buckeyebob
01-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey...Chicago has the most stringent gun laws in the US...wonder how that works...& Mexico bans guns...sure nuff works there.

speedbump
01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Hey...Chicago has the most stringent gun laws in the US...wonder how that works...& Mexico bans guns...sure nuff works there.

I'll add some facts you can work with:
USA leads a group of 23 industrialized nations in gun deaths. The United States has more guns
per capita, more handguns per capita, and has the weakest gun control laws of these 23 high-income
countries. Among this group of nations, 80 percent of all gun deaths occurred in America, and 87 percent of all children under 15 killed by guns were in the United States. The gun homicide rate in the United States for teens and young adults ages 15 to 24 was 42.7 times higher than the rate for the other countries combined.

defense51
01-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Fully automatic weapons have needed a special permit for decades?? My GAAWWWWD !! How in the world have you managed to survive ??? And who in the government has , is or will tell you in the future what to hunt with. This is about kids and every other innocent person dying at the hands of the people that use these weapons,it's not about animals. Neither I nor the government gives a rats kazoo about what you hunt with. Throw rocks at em if you want. Those kids had a RIGHT to live a complete life. Which would you rather lose, the right they lost or your right to own assault weapons. Take your time and answer honestly.Actually I have managed to survive quite well, and will continue to do so thanks to the training I received in the United States Marine Corps. I abhor the fact that any children or innocent adults lost their life to a crazed gunman, but I do not think for one moment that any additional gun control laws whether federal or state level would have prevented this from happening. Do you realize you are being played? Whether you like guns or not, do you recognize the propaganda being fed to you, slowly but surely turning guns into objects of fear, evil and loathing? Do you wonder at legislators fashioning new gun control laws with apparently little knowledge of guns and no regard for our Constitutional freedoms? Do you wonder whether the media is reporting honestly?

On Dec. 11, a whack-job gunman started shooting in a shopping mall in the Portland, Ore., area. Nick Meli, a young man licensed to carry a firearm had his Glock semi-automatic pistol, with which he confronted the shooter. The shooter then killed himself, having been stopped after killing two innocents.

On Dec. 16 a deranged gunman tried to shoot up a theater crowd in San Antonio, Texas, but an armed off-duty police officer shot back and ultimately just two innocent people were wounded.

You didn’t see much of these stories on TV news, maybe because the media doesn’t want to push the narrative that armed, law-abiding citizens can stop crimes in process. You’re being played, not only by what you see on TV, but what you don’t see.

speedbump
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Actually I have managed to survive quite well, and will continue to do so thanks to the training I received in the United States Marine Corps. I abhor the fact that any children or innocent adults lost their life to a crazed gunman, but I do not think for one moment that any additional gun control laws whether federal or state level would have prevented this from happenin. Do you realize you are being played? Whether you like guns or not, do you recognize the propaganda being fed to you, slowly but surely turning guns into objects of fear, evil and loathing? Do you wonder at legislators fashioning new gun control laws with apparently little knowledge of guns and no regard for our Constitutional freedoms? Do you wonder whether the media is reporting honestly?

On Dec. 11, a whack-job gunman started shooting in a shopping mall in the Portland, Ore., area. Nick Meli, a young man licensed to carry a firearm had his Glock semi-automatic pistol, with which he confronted the shooter. The shooter then killed himself, having been stopped after killing two innocents.

On Dec. 16 a deranged gunman tried to shoot up a theater crowd in San Antonio, Texas, but an armed off-duty police officer shot back and ultimately just two innocent people were wounded.

You didn’t see much of these stories on TV news, maybe because the media doesn’t want to push the narrative that armed, law-abiding citizens can stop crimes in process. You’re being played, not only by what you see on TV, but what you don’t see.

I have no problem at all with conceal and carry. It's the only thing these cowboys want that makes sense. (Principle, Superintendent, but not a teacher in a classroom) No way the general public needs weapons designed for military use. I've been there and done that too. I've seen what they do when they do what they are made to do. What I haven't seen is how many lives were saved because these whackos didn't have fully automatic weapons. There were lives saved that's a no brainer but where are the stats on that? Who's being played by that little secret?Maybe because the media doesn’t want to push the narrative that some form of gun control works. Maybe the NRA could help me out.

Buckeye1980
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Couple of thoughts

1) Armed officers at schools are a good idea except you have maybe 1 possibly 2 per school, which cannot cover a complete school. Where ariming a number of teeachers would cover more area and be more of a deterrant because legal gun access would be widespread.

2) When is the last time a gun tapped anyone on the shoulder and said "Hey' let's go kill someone" or even pulled it's own trigger?

3)Wanna outlaw guns? **** is against the law, and we all know that there is no **** problem because of that....right? I had TWO people test positive for **** in my office THIS morning.!

Buckeye1980
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Couple of thoughts

1) Armed officers at schools are a good idea except you have maybe 1 possibly 2 per school, which cannot cover a complete school. Where ariming a number of teeachers would cover more area and be more of a deterrant because legal gun access would be widespread.

2) When is the last time a gun tapped anyone on the shoulder and said "Hey' let's go kill someone" or even pulled it's own trigger?

3)Wanna outlaw guns? **** is against the law, and we all know that there is no **** problem because of that....right? I had TWO people test positive for **** in my office THIS morning.!

I did not know that word would be blocked, sorry.

Macarthur
01-24-2013, 02:05 PM
The media is playing on the peoples' emotions because some innocent children lost their lives to a SICK MAN, .

I agree.

It wouldn't have mattered what he had available to him if he set his mind to kill people.

This is where the problem comes in. I don't want to take your guns, but this is simply a very wrong thing to say in these circumstances.

I actually read someone on another site mention something similar and said if he had a baseball bat, he still would have killed children. That of course is assisnine, but those on your side of the argument can not be disingenuous either. If they guy had a knife or a baseball bat, the kill total would have been much much lower. If you are not willing to admit that the large clips contribute to the amount of carnage in these situations, you are not entering into the debate with good faith and attempting to be honest.

Macarthur
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM

And I agree with this. Everyone needs to think back to their HS days and honestly think about how many of your teachers or coaches you would be comfortable with packing heat. :eek:

defense51
01-24-2013, 03:11 PM
And I agree with this. Everyone needs to think back to their HS days and honestly think about how many of your teachers or coaches you would be comfortable with packing heat. :eek:Honestly I've met a few law enforcement officers that I felt the same way about. :crying:

BEAST
01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Here is something to chew on. Just so its clear, I am 100% against new gun laws. On 9/11, and handful of men killed 4000 +/- people, destroyed 2 skyscrapers, put a big whole in the pentagon, and destroyed 3 airplanes with box cutters. There was and still is a lot of outrage over 9/11 and rightfully so. But, why hasn't the box cutter been banned by congress? It managed to kill far more people than the AR15.

BEAST

ronwx5x
01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Here is something to chew on. Just so its clear, I am 100% against new gun laws. On 9/11, and handful of men killed 4000 +/- people, destroyed 2 skyscrapers, put a big whole in the pentagon, and destroyed 3 airplanes with box cutters. There was and still is a lot of outrage over 9/11 and rightfully so. But, why hasn't the box cutter been banned by congress? It managed to kill far more people than the AR15.

BEAST

Both box cutters and AR15's are banned on commercial aircraft.

Emerson1
01-24-2013, 04:32 PM

BEAST

This is a stupid argument that is tried way to much.

I could smother you with a pillow. Should pillows be banned? No because they aren't designed specifically to kill others.

I am not for any gun restrictions or anything, that's just a stupid argument.

BEAST
01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
This is a stupid argument that is tried way to much.

I could smother you with a pillow. Should pillows be banned? No because they aren't designed specifically to kill others.

I am not for any gun restrictions or anything, that's just a stupid argument.

I get that. Just making the point that if some nut job wants to kill people, there are 100's of ways to do it WITHOUT guns.

BEAST

Macarthur
01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
I get that. Just making the point that if some nut job wants to kill people, there are 100's of ways to do it WITHOUT guns.

BEAST

True, but having an AR15 w a 50 round clip makes killing much quicker and easier.

Emerson1
01-24-2013, 07:58 PM
BEAST
Guns still make it 100 times easier. No on ever said that we need to get rid of guns because it would make murder cease to exist.

buckeyebob
01-25-2013, 07:01 AM

BEAST

'Cause those in charge want to slice your neck with 'em

buckeyebob
01-25-2013, 07:03 AM
True, but having an AR15 w a 50 round clip makes killing much quicker and easier.

Makes sinse...using a 747 does even better...how about a dirty bomb...makes 'bout as much since.

buckeyebob
01-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Guns still make it 100 times easier. No on ever said that we need to get rid of guns because it would make murder cease to exist.

Getting rid of all guns is the agenda...they want to control your life.

Mojo84
01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Here are a couple questions for you that I posted on my facebook page. I'd especially like to hear from the ones that are against campus carry and teachers with guns.

If you were a teacher and God forbid, you hear someone in the building shooting a gun. After getting your students secured in a closet or corner of the room, you look at your desk and see a red grading pen, ruler, big red dictionary, stapler and a handgun. Which one would you grab to use in an effort of last defense for you and the students? Which one would you want your childs teacher to grab?

speedbump
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Here are a couple questions for you that I posted on my facebook page. I'd especially like to hear from the ones that are against campus carry and teachers with guns.

If you were a teacher and God forbid, you hear someone in the building shooting a gun. After getting your students secured in a closet or corner of the room, you look at your desk and see a red grading pen, ruler, big red dictionary, stapler and a handgun. Which one would you grab to use in an effort of last defense for you and the students? Which one would you want your childs teacher to grab?

I'd lock the door first. If he came through that I'd pray because my chances with a hand gun against a maniac with an assault rifle are pretty slim. Just make him madder. Guns in school is one thing , guns in classrooms is insanity that only the NRA and their sell more guns agenda could support along with whatever feeble minds they can exploit.

1st and goal
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
I'd lock the door first. If he came through that I'd pray because my chances with a hand gun against a maniac with an assault rifle are pretty slim. Just make him madder. Guns in school is one thing , guns in classrooms is insanity that only the NRA and their sell more guns agenda could support along with whatever feeble minds they can exploit.

YOUR chances might be slim, but I like my chances with a millisecond of ambush time.

lostaussie
01-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Slim= way better than none. Most people I know don't like bring shot at.

Mojo84
01-26-2013, 01:43 PM

I'm all for the power of prayer but I take your response to mean you would cower in the corner rather than attempt to defend yourself and the students entrusted to you. Not necessarily the type of person I would want to trust with my kids. I sure wish the principal and teachers at Sandy Hook had something other than their bare hands to challenge the shooter.

speedbump
01-26-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm all for the power of prayer but I take your response to mean you would cower in the corner rather than attempt to defend yourself and the students entrusted to you. Not necessarily the type of person I would want to trust with my kids. I sure wish the principal and teachers at Sandy Hook had something other than their bare hands to challenge the shooter.

I suppose you take my meaning that way because that's what you would do without a gun. The door would be locked first and the kids put in a closet if available. Then positioned to my best advantage I'd try to jump the moron. He came to shoot people cowering in a corner and probably wouldn't handle a physical confrontation at all. At the very least it would buy time for others to get to him. A teacher at Sandy Hook put her kids in a closet and locked the door. Lanza tried the door a couple of times and moved on. Her kids are alive today.These guys go there to mow down people not to practice their burglary skills. I wouldn't want to entrust my kids to some Rambo wanna be with a gun.

cowboyandchrist
01-26-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/union-grove-isd-oks-arming-some-teachers-administrators/article_88f3aa07-12f4-5df1-ad82-4a06503e9f8d.html

I agree, great job Union Grove. In every case, when the shooters are confronted by an armed person they either give up like the cowards they are or they shoot them selves. Every school should follow suit.

cowboyandchrist
01-26-2013, 08:18 PM
I suppose you take my meaning that way because that's what you would do without a gun. The door would be locked first and the kids put in a closet if available. Then positioned to my best advantage I'd try to jump the moron. He came to shoot people cowering in a corner and probably wouldn't handle a physical confrontation at all. At the very least it would buy time for others to get to him. A teacher at Sandy Hook put her kids in a closet and locked the door. Lanza tried the door a couple of times and moved on. Her kids are alive today.These guys go there to mow down people not to practice their burglary skills. I wouldn't want to entrust my kids to some Rambo wanna be with a gun.

What happened to the teacher that did protect her kids up in Conn. She got killed, what if she would have been armed ?

speedbump
01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
What happened to the teacher that did protect her kids up in Conn. She got killed, what if she would have been armed ?

She probably would have gotten killed.

Mojo84
01-26-2013, 08:34 PM
speedbump, I just responded to what you posted. Based on what you posted, I don't believe you would have fought back. I suspect you would be frozen in the corner or closet.

If the principal would have had a gun, she would at least have had a chance. No one knows what would have happened if she would have had a gun. However, I like her chances better if she would have had one.

speedbump
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
speedbump, I just responded to what you posted. Based on what you posted, I don't believe you would have fought back. I suspect you would be frozen in the corner or closet.

If the principal would have had a gun, she would at least have had a chance. No one knows what would have happened if she would have had a gun. However, I like her chances better if she would have had one.

I'm a Viet Nam vet. I wouldn't be frozen son. I'm so old now that I've stopped buying green bananas so I don't know how successful I'd be ,but I would at least slow him down maybe even secure his weapon. It's much harder to shoot someone with a pistol at close range if they don't want to be shot than many think. Trade shots with him and with his ammo you probably lose.

Mojo84
01-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Son? Interesting how you think someone that is unarmed is in a better position than someone who is. By the way, in Vietnam, were you sent to fight without a weapon?

Obviously, at your age and I'm not that far behind you, I'm not going to change your mind, nor are you going to chance mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

speedbump
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Son? Interesting how you think someone that is unarmed is in a better position than someone who is. By the way, in Vietnam, were you sent to fight without a weapon?

Obviously, at your age and I'm not that far behind you, I'm not going to change your mind, nor are you going to chance mine. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Teachers aren't sent to a jungle to fight, they are sent to teach. There is more than one kind of freedom. Teachers all over America carrying guns to protect our children and everybody sleeping with a gun under their pillow is not what I call freedom. More guns and weak laws is not the answer.

Mojo84
01-26-2013, 10:54 PM
So, you are saying criminals and mass murderers are going to obey more laws?

The teachers and students sure aren't sent there to be slaughtered either.

I'm done. You can have the last word on this.

speedbump
01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
So, you are saying criminals and mass murderers are going to obey more laws?

The teachers and students sure aren't sent there to be slaughtered either.

I'm done. You can have the last word on this.

The answer to your silly question is no and that will be MY last word on this. Hmmm - should I try to put words in your mouth before I go? ...... Naw I think not.

bobcat1
01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Teachers aren't sent to a jungle to fight, they are sent to teach. There is more than one kind of freedom. Teachers all over America carrying guns to protect our children and everybody sleeping with a gun under their pillow is not what I call freedom. More guns and weak laws is not the answer.

So more unenforced laws are? You are laughable due to your liberal blinders.

Aesculus gilmus
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Technology is on the verge of solving this and rendering discussions such as this one irrelevant. When the state perfects the ability to read your mind, a lot of you will be preemptively arrested. You know it's coming. People sing Lee Greenwood songs and all, but most don't really believe in freedom. We wouldn't be already in a de facto police state if they did.

http://artificialtelepathy.blogspot.com/2009/02/thought-police-next-logical-step-in.html

db1980
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM

So less guns and more weak laws is the answer???