PDA

View Full Version : Losing tournaments/games

XMan
01-16-2013, 09:38 PM
As it stands now, starting in 2013-14 all sports except football will lose a tournament and or games on their schedule. The UIL executive council, made up of superintendents from across the state determined that due to the states financial crunch that this action needed to be taken. If this doesnt sit well with you, you need to contact your local superintendent and or state representative. The head of the legislative council and Breithaupt pushed this through during the summer when there was little opposition.

Scoop27
01-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Why shouldI be surprised by this?

Old Tiger
01-17-2013, 07:13 AM
It makes sense...travel cost are outrageous for softball, baseball, and basketball.

Matthew328
01-17-2013, 08:43 AM
The UIl surveyed the schools prior to doing this...it had support in order to cut costs......

NTFan
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Matt is correct. It had majority support throughout the state. Speaking of regular season(excluding playoffs) there is just much much more travel and school time lost in baseball/softball/volleyball/etc. Football is unique in that they only play one game a week. So MOST teams only travel 5 times a year. The other sports are in the 12-15 range, including entire school days for tournaments. If you ever see the expense budget for travel(fuel, meals, etc) it's very disproportionate. I think MOST baseball coaches are happy. They get to pick up two more games I believe, and lose one tournament. Most smaller schools don't have the pitching depth for tournaments. Not all., but most. So the coaches would rather cancel a tournament and play two more games. That's just the feedback I have had from baseball coaches.

XMan
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
You will not be able to play more games, you will be losing games. Before the rule read 2 tourn. + 20 games or 3 tourn + 17 games. It now reads 1 tourn + 20 games or 2 tourn. + 17 games. If you play 0 tourn, you get 23 games. I know most of you hate every sport other than football, but there are actually those out there that care about other things. The baseball coaches you mention that like this I would surmise are those that sponsor baseball only because they have to. All of the REAL baseball coaches that I have talked to are up in arms.

Matthew328
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
You will not be able to play more games, you will be losing games. Before the rule read 2 tourn. + 20 games or 3 tourn + 17 games. It now reads 1 tourn + 20 games or 2 tourn. + 17 games. If you play 0 tourn, you get 23 games. I know most of you hate every sport other than football, but there are actually those out there that care about other things. The baseball coaches you mention that like this I would surmise are those that sponsor baseball only because they have to. All of the REAL baseball coaches that I have talked to are up in arms.

Baseball coaches alone have very little power so them being up in arms is well..not much...the only real organization with any kind of pull is the THSCA and they are backing the UIL on this one....if the majority of sup's support it then it is what it is....football won't be touched because its not a tournament sport and it brings in more revenue than any other sport...students miss less time in football because its once a week and there's no tournaments

YTBulldogs
01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
If those upset losing more games, play games against your own roster. Most have enough player's in the program to field two teams. No travel expense, and yet the kid's are playing. Or, have booster clubs cover fuel cost's for teams.