PDA

View Full Version : JUCO Football Question

hookandladder
01-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Does anyone know at a JUCO college for Footabll what kind of scholarship money do they pay, are there full rides or partial scholarships.

Old Tiger
01-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Does anyone know at a JUCO college for Footabll what kind of scholarship money do they pay, are there full rides or partial scholarships.

http://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarships-by-type/athletic-scholarships/njcaa-scholarships/

Matthew328
01-15-2013, 09:02 AM
full ride if you are good enough

coachc45
01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Most JC have 30 scholarships available to them. They split the scholarships between the athletes. 65% is standard with it working all the way up to a full ride. Ordinarily the full rides are giving to sophmores to keep them from transferring. They use Pell Grants to offset the costs.

My son was a 65% until his last year and because he could leave early, they put him on full to entice him to stay. It worked.

Rabid Cougar
01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
They way to go if you want to continue to play football.

hookandladder
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks, good info. from you guy's. Just curious if a QB would receive more then some of the other position's player's, I think JUCO would be a good route for my son. Thanks.

hsbtex
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Matthew328;1734841]full ride if you are good enough[/QUO

65% for me for my first year

coachc45
01-15-2013, 04:27 PM
[RABID COUGAR ....They way to go if you want to continue to play football.]

If you are not an elite type prospect, JUCO is not the route for you. Go DIII or even DII. Most Juco kids were borderline DI or had some problem; usually academic or didn't quite fit the measurements (Line guys). These dudes can play. It is a chance for kids to get re-recruited. If you were a marginal prospect go DII or DIII, you can get play time. If you are not an elite type guy, you will never get on the field at a JUCO.

Think AAA ball. DII and DIII are AA and A ball. Borrowing from MLB>

hsbtex
01-15-2013, 06:09 PM

If you are not an elite type prospect, JUCO is not the route for you. Go DIII or even DII. Most Juco kids were borderline DI or had some problem; usually academic or didn't quite fit the measurements (Line guys). These dudes can play. It is a chance for kids to get re-recruited. If you were a marginal prospect go DII or DIII, you can get play time. If you are not an elite type guy, you will never get on the field at a JUCO.

Could not agree more. The guy ahead of me at tight end was 40 pounds heavier than me, and three tenths faster. He just couldn't qualify academically for D1. He went on to play for Green Bay. Biggest mistake i made...should have gone d3 or d2. I greatly regret not going back and playing for a d3 or 2. Chose to go try and make money instead

YTBulldogs
01-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks, good info. from you guy's. Just curious if a QB would receive more then some of the other position's player's, I think JUCO would be a good route for my son. Thanks.

I'd be shocked if your son don't get an full ride offer from a larger school in baseball. Power hitting first baseman, tremendous OBP%, and one of the best fielders I've seen in a while. Does he want to play football instead of baseball?

Manso/V8
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
How would yall rate the DII and DIII football experience compared to HS ball in Texas?

How would you rank the various programs?

It seems to me that a lot of kids who start out playing DIII, ending up leaving the program after a year or two.
Not as fun or glamorous as high school football, or just that much more work required?

SHSBulldog00
01-15-2013, 10:48 PM
How would yall rate the DII and DIII football experience compared to HS ball in Texas?

How would you rank the various programs?

It seems to me that a lot of kids who start out playing DIII, ending up leaving the program after a year or two.
Not as fun or glamorous as high school football, or just that much more work required?

DII and DIII football out of state are not even close to HS ball in Texas.

The talent level is better in HS if you compare it to some DII and DIII school's. As far as the top DII and DIII school's I'm not sure.

hookandladder
01-16-2013, 07:13 AM
I'd be shocked if your son don't get an full ride offer from a larger school in baseball. Power hitting first baseman, tremendous OBP%, and one of the best fielders I've seen in a while. Does he want to play football instead of baseball?

Keeping all opitions open, better to have more then one. It is a toss up right now between both sport's , will make that decision when the time is right. I think JUCO route for either sport has it's benefit's for athlete's who juggle both sport's in high school, hard to compete against bigger schools for scholarships when they are focusing on just one sport. That is the down side of playing two or more sport's at a small school, hopefully everything will work out.

Rabid Cougar
01-16-2013, 09:57 AM

You are right. Although if you play at UMHB you play pretty high caliber football, comparatively speaking. I am a real fan of FCS route. Again LOTs of FBS types there too.

YTBulldogs
01-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Keeping all opitions open, better to have more then one. It is a toss up right now between both sport's , will make that decision when the time is right. I think JUCO route for either sport has it's benefit's for athlete's who juggle both sport's in high school, hard to compete against bigger schools for scholarships when they are focusing on just one sport. That is the down side of playing two or more sport's at a small school, hopefully everything will work out.

Well, best of luck to your son. He is a solid player and I think he'll find a college home. He deserves it. Love watching him play. If he signs now for football, and a better offer for baseball comes after baseball season, can he change?

coachc45
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
You are right. Although if you play at UMHB you play pretty high caliber football, comparatively speaking. I am a real fan of FCS route. Again LOTs of FBS types there too.

UMHB is not that high caliber of football. It is a great DIII school, but not elite compared to JUCO. Navarro would've beat them this year. Saw TJC hang 60 on ETBU this year and Navarro beat them like a rented mule. UMHB would compete at DII level, but like I said..... DII ain't JUCO.

hookandladder
01-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Most JC have 30 scholarships available to them. They split the scholarships between the athletes. 65% is standard with it working all the way up to a full ride. Ordinarily the full rides are giving to sophmores to keep them from transferring. They use Pell Grants to offset the costs.

My son was a 65% until his last year and because he could leave early, they put him on full to entice him to stay. It worked.

Just FYI- My son had his in home visit with Blinn HC last night, he will take his offical visit this Thursday and if offered it will be a full ride. The HC said they only offer full rides , no partial scholarships however some that quailify will receive Pell Grants. Straight from the horses mouth , so to speak. This the way Blinn handles their scholarships , cannot speak for other JUCO college's.

Manso/V8
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Just FYI- My son had his in home visit with Blinn HC last night, he will take his offical visit this Thursday and if offered it will be a full ride. The HC said they only offer full rides , no partial scholarships however some that quailify will receive Pell Grants. Straight from the horses mouth , so to speak. This the way Blinn handles their scholarships , cannot speak for other JUCO college's.

Does he prefer to play football over baseball in college, or will he try to do both?

coachc45
01-22-2013, 09:58 AM

Ok.... this is how it works.
If tuition, room, board, and books cost $4000 and you get $2000 Pell, Blinn pays $2000 to cover the difference. That is a "Full Ride". But actually it is 50%.

If you get $1000 Pell, Blinn pays $3000. That is a "full Ride". But actually it is 75%.

If you get $0 Pell, Blinn pays $4000. That is a "Full Ride", 100%.

In DI schools if it cost $4000 to go to school, the school pays $4000. If you get Pell money, you put that in your pocket!!!!

So what JUCO's call a "Full Ride" is only in "name only"..... They average about 60%.

hookandladder
01-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Ok.... this is how it works.
If tuition, room, board, and books cost $4000 and you get $2000 Pell, Blinn pays $2000 to cover the difference. That is a "Full Ride". But actually it is 50%.

If you get $1000 Pell, Blinn pays $3000. That is a "full Ride". But actually it is 75%.

If you get $0 Pell, Blinn pays $4000. That is a "Full Ride", 100%.

In DI schools if it cost $4000 to go to school, the school pays $4000. If you get Pell money, you put that in your pocket!!!!

So what JUCO's call a "Full Ride" is only in "name only"..... They average about 60%.

I know my son will not be getting any Pell money and he said if he offers , he will get full ride. I understand you reasoning behind the Pell and the college funds but as a football player any way you look at it , it is a full ride with no money out of your pocket for school.

hookandladder
01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Does he prefer to play football over baseball in college, or will he try to do both?

Did not asked him directly about playing both but pretty sure that is not something a QB could handle as far as juggling both sports in college, he is still up in the air on which sport to play however if offered this week he will have to decide very quick. A very tough decision for an 18 yr. old kid to make however if football does not workout you still have the opition to try out for baseball, just be thankful you have opitions. Interesting times for sure.

coachc45
01-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I know my son will not be getting any Pell money and he said if he offers , he will get full ride. I understand you reasoning behind the Pell and the college funds but as a football player any way you look at it , it is a full ride with no money out of your pocket for school.

I guess..... didn't look at it that way for my son. I looked at it like he got 60%. I consider a "Full Ride" as a "Full Ride" meaning he got 100% paid for by the college. If any money came out of Pell, then that was money not from the Scholarship, and that means not a "Full Ride". But at same time, it is good for the school, if they give 2 40% and 1 20%, then that only uses up one of their allotted scholarships for 3 players, meaning they can sign more people.

Its all Semantics, but the reality is that there are very few "Full Rides" in JUCO football.

hookandladder
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I guess..... didn't look at it that way for my son. I looked at it like he got 60%. I consider a "Full Ride" as a "Full Ride" meaning he got 100% paid for by the college. If any money came out of Pell, then that was money not from the Scholarship, and that means not a "Full Ride". But at same time, it is good for the school, if they give 2 40% and 1 20%, then that only uses up one of their allotted scholarships for 3 players, meaning they can sign more people.

Its all Semantics, but the reality is that there are very few "Full Rides" in JUCO football.

This is our first rodeo so to speak, so after Thursday will have more facts if offered. I am assuming Pell Grant that you must quailify income wise and if so I do not think we will quailify for that kind of help, Blinn carries around 80 players and pretty sure they sign around 25 t0 30 scholarship players a year.

coachc45
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
This is our first rodeo so to speak, so after Thursday will have more facts if offered. I am assuming Pell Grant that you must quailify income wise and if so I do not think we will quailify for that kind of help, Blinn carries around 80 players and pretty sure they sign around 25 t0 30 scholarship players a year.

Good Luck to your son.... Hope it all works out for him.

YTBulldogs
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Did not asked him directly about playing both but pretty sure that is not something a QB could handle as far as juggling both sports in college, he is still up in the air on which sport to play however if offered this week he will have to decide very quick. A very tough decision for an 18 yr. old kid to make however if football does not workout you still have the opition to try out for baseball, just be thankful you have opitions. Interesting times for sure.

Good luck Logan.

NastySlot
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Pell Grant= Free Money