PDA

View Full Version : Going Organic/Natural is expensive

Old Tiger
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Overhauled the pantry/fridge/freezer with organic/natural grocery items....

$230 later I feel healthy.

toddg
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
$400.00(thank you PPO) for a sleep diagnostic & a CPAP machine..i feel better, which will hopefully lead to being healthier...

waterboy
01-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Anything that is carbon-based is considered "organic", right? That would include ALL living things, right? I think people are just being duped....

Farmersfan
01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Anything that is carbon-based is considered "organic", right? That would include ALL living things, right? I think people are just being duped....

In the case of foods I'm pretty sure "organic" simply means naturally grown without any synthetic or man made fertilizers or processes.

waterboy
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
In the case of foods I'm pretty sure "organic" simply means naturally grown without any synthetic or man made fertilizers or processes.

True, but ANY living thing is "organic".........., and how do we know for sure that what they sell as "organic" is truly grown without synthetic or man-made fertilizers or processes? Who regulates this?

panfan
01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
True, but ANY living thing is "organic".........., and how do we know for sure that what they sell as "organic" is truly grown without synthetic or man-made fertilizers or processes? Who regulates this?

Not that I'm into organic foods, but there are some pluses to this, most important of which is consumption of food that has not been produced through the use of pesticides. I'm old enough though, that my life time exposure has already been met and the die is cast for me, so no need to spend the extra dough to go organic (IMO). The really nasty pesticides have already been banned and we all ate them when we were younger (well at least most of us who are 60's kids). Anyway, for future generations, it is a very good idea, it will just cost more. Here is a link to learn more. Enjoy!

http://www.ota.com/organic/faq.html

Ernest T Bass
01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
"Organic" also means non-genetically engineered, which is the big plus for me.

panfan
01-10-2013, 11:06 AM
"Organic" also means non-genetically engineered, which is the big plus for me.

I'm personally OK with genetic engineering due to benefits of crop production that can be made to be crop-specific disease resistance, drought or temperature tolerance, and or increased yield. But to each his own. Growing up on a farm, I used to love when we would feed out a calf for slaughter. Our home raised beef was so much better than the feedlot crap get at the grocery store. I guess from that perspective, we were "semi-organic"!.

Ernest T Bass
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm personally OK with genetic engineering due to benefits of crop production that can be made to be crop-specific disease resistance, drought or temperature tolerance, and or increased yield. But to each his own. Growing up on a farm, I used to love when we would feed out a calf for slaughter. Our home raised beef was so much better than the feedlot crap get at the grocery store. I guess from that perspective, we were "semi-organic"!.

But we have no idea what the long term effects of eating GE food are. That scares me. Plus, in most cases, it's not as nutritous as organic food.

44INAROW
01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
$400.00(thank you PPO) for a sleep diagnostic & a CPAP machine..i feel better, which will hopefully lead to being healthier...

CPAP totally changed my husband's quality of life.. no exaggeration.. he takes that machine everywhere he goes.. even to deer camp.. by the way - those "supply companies" have a freaking racket going.. charge way too much for the monthly supplies but that's a story for another day..
organic fruits and veggies are expensive....no doubt

NastySlot
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
CPAP totally changed my husband's quality of life.. no exaggeration.. he takes that machine everywhere he goes.. even to deer camp.. by the way - those "supply companies" have a freaking racket going.. charge way too much for the monthly supplies but that's a story for another day..
organic fruits and veggies are expensive....no doubt

CPAP has done good things for me also.....once I started using it I could really tell a difference.

panfan
01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
CPAP has done good things for me also.....once I started using it I could really tell a difference.

How can CRAP do good things for someone.... :vrycnfsd:

NastySlot
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
How can CRAP do good things for someone.... :vrycnfsd:

CPAP not CRAP

there is a big difference in my sleep patterns and how rested I am......was told I stopped breathing an average of 4 times a night for extended periods of time. My wife also gets a good nights sleep without my snoring.

panfan
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
CPAP not CRAP

there is a big difference in my sleep patterns and how rested I am......was told I stopped breathing an average of 4 times a night for extended periods of time. My wife also gets a good nights sleep without my snoring.

I understood what it was Nasty, just messin' around.

NastySlot
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
I understood what it was Nasty, just messin' around.

I figured you were....but you know a Good Morning Crap can sometimes do more than a cup of coffee to get the day going.

refereedoc
01-10-2013, 01:58 PM
I figured you were....but you know a Good Morning Crap can sometimes do more than a cup of coffee to get the day going.

Couldn't agree more especially if you are sprinting to get to the pot.

1st and goal
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
CPAP not CRAP

Your wife gets good sleep now because she doesn't have to put a snore muffler pillow over your face an average of 4 times a night until you almost stop breathing. Man, the things women have to do to get a man to stop snoring so they can get a good nights rest. sheeeesh :)

waterboy
01-10-2013, 03:25 PM

How about both? I'm about as regular as sunrise, and a good strong cup of coffee always helps me take care of things in my "oval office".:D Plus I read the morning paper and do the sodoku puzzle on my throne, too.:cool:

BwdLion73
01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
This is starting to remind me of the thread a few years back wanting to know if you used a wash rag in the shower. :)

panfan
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM
How about both? I'm about as regular as sunrise, and a good strong cup of coffee always helps me take care of things in my "oval office".:D Plus I read the morning paper and do the sodoku puzzle on my throne, too.:cool:

This thread went quickly into the terlot (as Ralph Kramdem might have said it!).

buckeyebob
01-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Not that I'm into organic foods, but there are some pluses to this, most important of which is consumption of food that has not been produced through the use of pesticides. I'm old enough though, that my life time exposure has already been met and the die is cast for me, so no need to spend the extra dough to go organic (IMO). The really nasty pesticides have already been banned and we all ate them when we were younger (well at least most of us who are 60's kids). Anyway, for future generations, it is a very good idea, it will just cost more. Here is a link to learn more. Enjoy!

http://www.ota.com/organic/faq.html

One of the biggest lies sold to the American People was the banning of DDT.

One of the World Trueisms: A good bowel movement in the morning is the most important thing you will do all day (after prayers).

Manso/V8
01-11-2013, 10:12 AM
One of the World Trueisms: A good bowel movement in the morning is the most important thing you will do all day (after prayers).

Define "good bowel movement"

1st and goal
01-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Tdmi!

panfan
01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
One of the biggest lies sold to the American People was the banning of DDT.

You don't know what you are talking about. I have worked in systems directly below a DDT manufacturer in Houston, and everything was dead, as in not living. This stuff has a half life of years, not days or months. I have worked at agrichemical facilities where they bottled this stuff, and found the break down products, DDD, and DDE 20 years after they stopped bottling it and washing the floors out. It was bad stuff, still is bad stuff, and will continues to be bad stuff.

Diazanon - jury is still out on it, but it is acutely toxic, then volitalizes due to sunlight. Malathion, is bad too, but I think the jury is still out on this one as well. We simply haven't figured out the long term effects. DDT - we know long term effects, and none of them are good.

waterboy
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM

A two-flusher?:eek::D

StangEm
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
My wife insists of buying "natural" peanut butter instead of any other. She swears it's got some sort of magic potion that makes eating it healthier. Wears me out that she pays twice as much for half as much..... Aren't all peanuts "natural"? I don't think they put any fake peanuts in the peanut smasher when they make it.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
My wife insists of buying "natural" peanut butter instead of any other. She swears it's got some sort of magic potion that makes eating it healthier. Wears me out that she pays twice as much for half as much..... Aren't all peanuts "natural"? I don't think they put any fake peanuts in the peanut smasher when they make it.

"Regular" peanut butter has lots of bad stuff in it(hydroginized oils, high fruitcose corn syrup, and other chemicals and preservatives that humans were never intended to consume).Natural peanut butter is simply peanuts and salt.
If you do a little research, you'll find that a lot of what we eat, even what we think is healthy, is like a horrible science experiment. There are so many additives and modifications made to it, it's scary.
You know what our grandparents called "organic" food? Food.

defense51
01-11-2013, 12:50 PM
You don't know what you are talking about. I have worked in systems directly below a DDT manufacturer in Houston, and everything was dead, as in not living. This stuff has a half life of years, not days or months. I have worked at agrichemical facilities where they bottled this stuff, and found the break down products, DDD, and DDE 20 years after they stopped bottling it and washing the floors out. It was bad stuff, still is bad stuff, and will continues to be bad stuff.

Diazanon - jury is still out on it, but it is acutely toxic, then volitalizes due to sunlight. Malathion, is bad too, but I think the jury is still out on this one as well. We simply haven't figured out the long term effects. DDT - we know long term effects, and none of them are good. Good ole' citrus oil could replace most of these chemicals, and work just as good. Just ask Howard Garrett, and my grandpa!

defense51
01-11-2013, 12:52 PM

:stirpot: pun intended!!!