PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys fire DC Rob Ryan

Roughneck93
01-08-2013, 08:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8826772/rob-ryan-fired-dallas-cowboys-defensive-coordinator

slingshot
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Too bad they can't fire Jerry Jones...

Roughneck93
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Quote from Ryan...

"I inherited a team that was 31st in the league in defense and made them better," Ryan told ESPNDallas.com's Tim MacMahon. "I (expletive) made them a hell of a lot better. I'll be out of work for like five minutes."

Papá Oso
01-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Supposedly Jerrra called him on vacation and told him he was fired over the phone, stay classy Jerrra.

PO

bobcat1
01-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I think Rob had too much fire and not enough players with fire.

Macarthur
01-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Supposedly Jerrra called him on vacation and told him he was fired over the phone, stay classy Jerrra.

PO

Ryan was in the carribian. There wasn't much choice.

Eagle 1
01-08-2013, 09:59 PM
What an idiot Jerry Jones is.
Again he fires a decent coach, but keeps the loser Garrett.

Macarthur
01-08-2013, 10:06 PM
What an idiot Jerry Jones is.
Again he fires a decent coach, but keeps the loser Garrett.

What has Ryan ever done. Serious question.

I'm angry at JJ too but let's not let that cloud the fact that Ryan is not a good DC. He is average AT BEST. When the best you can say about him is that he did a decent job once everybody got hurt, it's time to move on.

coach
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
What has Ryan ever done. Serious question.

I'm angry at JJ too but let's not let that cloud the fact that Ryan is not a good DC. He is average AT BEST. When the best you can say about him is that he did a decent job once everybody got hurt, it's time to move on.

He turned a defense that was 31st in the league to 19 while losing 5 starters and two key backups....

bobcat1
01-08-2013, 11:22 PM
He turned a defense that was 31st in the league to 19 while losing 5 starters and two key backups....Exactly

GrTigers6
01-08-2013, 11:37 PM
This will turn into another situation where we are thinking why didn't he hang into him. Just like Sean Payton!
He did better than expected with a bunch of guys who for the most part weren't playing football a few months ago.
I thought he deserved at least another year!

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Lol at the cowboys getting rid of everyone except the actual problems

Tejastrue
01-09-2013, 12:51 AM
It's difficult for me to understand this move. As others have said..Jerry needs to look in the mirror. Sad thing is... he still thinks he looks good!.

Tejastrue
01-09-2013, 01:14 AM
He turned a defense that was 31st in the league to 19 while losing 5 starters and two key backups....

Exactly

Yep...:iagree:. He'll get picked up by a team that will make the playoffs before the Cowboys. Funny thing is ..brother Rex still has a job. Who is out there with a DC pedigree that could help the Cowboys and will endure Jones? Romeo Crennel might be desperate enough and cheap enough huh Jerry? LOL...

Ernest T Bass
01-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Good thing he didn't lose more starters. Otherwise, he might not have made the season.

buff4ever
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
I am just guessing here, but something tells me that maybe Ryan wasn't a good fit for Jerry Jones. Last year might have been too soon and obvious to fire him, but no matter what this year he was gone. Ryan may not be quite as submissive to Jerry as Jerry would prefer. Just Guessing, not saying ryan seems to be the best DC in the NFL, but can't blame him hardly for this year with the injuries.

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM

The league uses yardage as their rankings for defense. That is a poor judge of a good defense, IMO.

While he didn't do terrible, I think he was extremely mediocre. He did get the shaft on injuries, but his defenses in two years set a franchise record in most yardage allowed (2011), Had the fewest takeaways of all 32 teams (16 in 2012), had bottom third of the league in takeaways in 2011, they had a league low of 36 sacks this year. And the line about taking a 31st ranked defense and turning it into a middle of the pack defense is very hallow. in 2009 Wade had this as a top 10 defense with essentially the same players. They took a step back and wade was fired. Ryan was hired because he would be creative. What he did was blitz like crazy last year when we had no corners and then we go out and get two press corners and then he spends most of this year in zone. This firing is much more to do with his philosophy and lack of cnosistency of philosophy than actual performance. Please keep in mind that Ryan NEVER, let me repeart NEVER, coached a top 10 defense.

So the best we can say about him is that he did a pretty good job of keeping things together when we had a ton of injuries? I think this was a bad hire from the beginning.

Farmersfan
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Well actually he took over a defense that was #10 in 2010 and made it #19 in 2011 and #14 in 2012.............. He had ton's of injuries this season or i think this defense would have been far, far better. I also think Jerry needed to make about 3 or 4 other moves first before this one but Rob Ryan has never impressed me much.

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Well actually he took over a defense that was #10 in 2010 and made it #19 in 2011 and #14 in 2012.............. He had ton's of injuries this season or i think this defense would have been far, far better. I also think Jerry needed to make about 3 or 4 other moves first before this one but Rob Ryan has never impressed me much.

Agreed. And if the twitter buzz is right, there will be more changes.

I just think everyone is angry, specifically at JJ, and they are projecting that anger on to this decision. Ryan is a guy that did nothing but come in and brag about how he was going to kick everyone's ass with this defense and they went out and spared everyone to death. He was all hat and no cattle.

Farmersfan
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Nevermind! I read the stats wrong. The Cowboy's defense was #10 from the bottom in yards allowed in 2010.

Bullaholic
01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
No real feelings one way or the other on the Ryan firing---he was lots of talk but not much walking the walk. I think the Ryan boys are both enjoying living on daddy's rep in the coaching ranks. Like dad, they are both fiery and outspoken, and will probably do well in the right setting with the right players---but in any other situation, they can problematic and very inconsistent.

Farmersfan
01-09-2013, 10:47 AM

I just think everyone is angry, specifically at JJ, and they are projecting that anger on to this decision. Ryan is a guy that did nothing but come in and brag about how he was going to kick everyone's ass with this defense and they went out and spared everyone to death. He was all hat and no cattle.

And I think his reaction to this firing was a good insight into a big reason why he was fired. His arrogance is inherited and not earned. If he displayed that kind of arrogance to Jerry all along I find it amazing he wasn't fired sooner. I have never liked him, his brother or his dad! The whole family has a rather elevated sense of self worth................

Cam
01-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Good riddance I say.....I couldn't stand watchin' that guy flickin' and adjustin' his ugly ass hair all the time!........plus, it looked to me like the D was always struggling to figure out where to be right up until the snap......

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Nevermind! I read the stats wrong. The Cowboy's defense was #10 from the bottom in yards allowed in 2010.

YOu're right, they took a step back which is why Wade got fired, but remember this defense was like #8 in 2009.

I still say that yardage is not a good way to judge how good a defense is. In today's NFL, you are going to give up yardage. What I think makes good defenses is takeaways and 3rd down %.

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Good riddance I say.....I couldn't stand watchin' that guy flickin' and adjustin' his ugly ass hair all the time!........plus, it looked to me like the D was always struggling to figure out where to be right up until the snap......

Yeah, I forgot to mention all the damn 12 man of the field penalties and TO's due to folks not knowing what the hell they were doing.

Farmersfan
01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
YOu're right, they took a step back which is why Wade got fired, but remember this defense was like #8 in 2009.

I still say that yardage is not a good way to judge how good a defense is. In today's NFL, you are going to give up yardage. What I think makes good defenses is takeaways and 3rd down %.

Ultimately it all boils down to points allowed! Nothing else matters if the other team can't score.

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Ultimately it all boils down to points allowed! Nothing else matters if the other team can't score.

NO doubt. Points allowed should be the ultimate. I just think if you look up the defenses that consistently get takeaways and get off the field on 3rd down, you see teams with winning records.

The one caveat on points allowed is that ST TDs and scores by the opposing defense count, so sometimes points allowed can be a bit deceiving.

GrTigers6
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Biggest problem I had with ryans defenses was the lack of holding leads. even in the final two games he set back and let them march down the field after holding them three or four series straight. I will be happy with the firing if JJ hires a Solid DC

Phil C
01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
A terrible decision but on par with the Cowboys lately. The Cowboys have gone downhill ever since the fired Coach Johnson. The only good decision they made was drafting Dat Ng.

waterboy
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
The Cowboys will continue to have problems until they fire the GM. Unless he goes out and spends a LOT of money the defense, and the team will continue to struggle, in my opinion. He has the money to put the right coaches on the sidelines, and the right players on the field, but as long as the GM is in control the Cowboys will continue to be underachievers. The GM needs to step aside (if he continues to keep his job, lol) and let REAL FOOTBALL people run the team, including picking talent.

Phil C
01-09-2013, 12:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_JAu-3fsfs

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
A terrible decision but on par with the Cowboys lately. The Cowboys have gone downhill ever since the fired Coach Johnson. The only good decision they made was drafting Dat Ng.

I'm curious to know why you think it's a 'terrible' decision. What if JG has someone that has agreed to come that is clearly better? Should we no upgrade if the opportunity presents?

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
BTW, the record of teams with Ryan as DC are 41-87. Now, I know you can't pin that all on him, but I think it again shows that this was a poor hire from the get go. This guys resume is very very mediocre.

Papá Oso
01-09-2013, 01:38 PM
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000124065/dallas-cowboys-players-upset-by-rob-ryan-firing/

Yep all the blame is on the DC and Running Backs Coach lol. The Cowboys will never be winners again along as JJ thinks he's a GM. Wonder which rb or wr he's going to move up for this year? Maybe Arkansas has one coming out he can pick up about 3 rounds too early.

PO

Bull's-eye
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Being a long time Cowboys fan, there has been incompetence throughout our coaching staff. With all the injuries, Ryan probably got the short end of the stick. In defense of Jerry Jone's decision to fire Ryan, there were just too many "mental" mistakes made by our defense. Now this was also true with special teams & the offense, this team never got close to playing a mistake-free game.

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
I would disagree with several central points of that article. While the offense has had more than it's share of issues, JG's track record as an OC is much better than Ryan's track record as a DC. Namely, JG has managed a couple of top 10 offenses while Ryan has NEVER, and I repeat NEVER,fielded a top 10 defense.

And frankly, why is it a bad thing that JJ has asked people outside the organization their opinions? Doesn't everyone do this?

And Ryan's scheme's are unsound. That point was discussed at the time he was hired.

coach
01-09-2013, 01:48 PM

I agree. Also, his personnel last year was not very good. Secondary was awful. This year's d line was awful

I would like to see a Lovie Smith or Mike Singletary.

Cam
01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Hey...maybe Ryan got fired cause Jason complained to Jerry that Ryan was getting more camera time on the sidelines than the head coach!.....just a thought......:D

coach
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
BTW, the record of teams with Ryan as DC are 41-87. Now, I know you can't pin that all on him, but I think it again shows that this was a poor hire from the get go. This guys resume is very very mediocre.

Anybody's recrord would be that bad when you coach at Cleveland. His defense was pretty solid there. The O was the main reason why Cleveland was terrible.

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Anybody's recrord would be that bad when you coach at Cleveland. His defense was pretty solid there. The O was the main reason why Cleveland was terrible.

I'm not laying that all at his feet; I get that. However, there is something to being a central part of a winning environment. He hasn't. EVER.

Cam
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Now I'm hearin' the next to go might be Rowdy The Mascot!.....thank goodness!......I thought he was already gone until I saw him on the sidelines......Man, Jerry really means it this time.....

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704550/stats-info-tell-rob-ryan-basic-numbers-lie

Here's a decent article on whether the defense has really been better. I know stats can be manipulated many ways, but I think the best you can say is that Ryan as been okay. I don't think there's any way you can say he made significant improvements in the defense.

Farmersfan
01-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Ryan's defense in Cleveland in 2010 was ranked #22 in the NFL. In 2009 it was ranked #31. In 2011 it was ranked #10 after he left. So it actually got better after he left............. Not so good this past season though.

Txbroadcaster
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Ryan never seemed to be a fit...like said before..last year he was blitz happy with no corners and this year he seemed to sit back and play coverage too much, especially against rookie QBs...I think at the end of the day he is a solid coach, but his scheme does not do enough in creating turnovers and havoc.

If they stay 3-4 who do you think they get?

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Ryan never seemed to be a fit...like said before..last year he was blitz happy with no corners and this year he seemed to sit back and play coverage too much, especially against rookie QBs...I think at the end of the day he is a solid coach, but his scheme does not do enough in creating turnovers and havoc.

If they stay 3-4 who do you think they get?

The two 3-4 names I like are Crennel and Ray Horton

Txbroadcaster
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM

what about Dom Capers

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
what about Dom Capers

I love Capers, but he's under contract with GB.

Roughneck93
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Yeah, I like Ray Horton as well.

GrTigers6
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Rumors from Mike Fisher( I Believe) were that because of personel reasons they are looking to go back to the 4-3. He also said that it was his thoughts that Garrett is the reason Ryan was fired. He thinks Jerry is giving Garrett a chance to pick his coaches

Txbroadcaster
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Rumors from Mike Fisher( I Believe) were that because of personel reasons they are looking to go back to the 4-3. He also said that it was his thoughts that Garrett is the reason Ryan was fired. He thinks Jerry is giving Garrett a chance to pick his coaches

this I dont understand...right now Dallas has LB depth but no DL depth...why go to a system that requires more DL than LB?

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
this I dont understand...right now Dallas has LB depth but no DL depth...why go to a system that requires more DL than LB?

Well, Ware and Spencer both played DE in College so they play the DE. The other two spots will be filled with Hatcher, Rat, Lissemore & Spencer. The issue IMO would be who plays the SAM. Lee would be great as a Mike and Carter would be a great Will. I suppose Albright could probably play the SAM, but he's a bit on the tall side.

GrTigers6
01-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, Ware and Spencer both played DE in College so they play the DE. The other two spots will be filled with Hatcher, Rat, Lissemore & Spencer. The issue IMO would be who plays the SAM. Lee would be great as a Mike and Carter would be a great Will. I suppose Albright could probably play the SAM, but he's a bit on the tall side.

That was their thinking as well but were not sure on will, Suggestions were albright, connor,and someone else that for the life of me cant remember, lol Old age I guess.
I believe ,if I understood correctly, they are trying to keep Ware and Spencer as pass rushers and less coverage LB's. Which does make since to me

GrTigers6
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Think about it though! When did Dallas switch to 3-4? I believe it was after Phillips left, wasnt it and the Defense has been inconsitent at best ever since!

Inmateboss
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM

I agree !!! Wait I thought y'all were talking about Romo! Never mind

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

BEAST
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Think about it though! When did Dallas switch to 3-4? I believe it was after Phillips left, wasnt it and the Defense has been inconsitent at best ever since!

I thought Phillips brought in the 3/4!

BEAST

GrTigers6
01-09-2013, 04:55 PM

BEASTYou may be right, like I said I am getting old:crazy:

Macarthur
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM

BEAST

They switched to teh 3-4 w Big Bill.

Cam
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I bet Norv Turner is back in Dallas as the OC....

GrTigers6
01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I bet Norv Turner is back in Dallas as the OC....

My plan Lovie Smith DC
Norv Turner OC
It could happen!
:D

regaleagle
01-10-2013, 02:35 AM
What about Herm Edwards??? Is he just completely done coaching now?

Old Tiger
01-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Chaaaaange!

Roughneck93
01-10-2013, 03:45 PM
According to sources, Monte Kiffin is the Dallas' top choice as DC...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8832382/monte-kiffin-focus-dallas-cowboys-search-defensive-coordinator

bobcat1
01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
I like it. 4-3 will allow Sean Lee and Bruce Carter to make more plays.

Old Tiger
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I like it. 4-3 will allow Sean Lee and Bruce Carter to make more plays.
Monte Kiffin...lol. About 10 years too late

Tejastrue
01-10-2013, 10:44 PM

LOL...haven't you heard? 70 something is the new 50 something. Seriously..he still has a lot to bring to the table..IMO.

bobcat1
01-10-2013, 10:48 PM

:hand: Maybe we could get that young Diaz cat in Austin. He really knows his stuff. :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
01-10-2013, 10:55 PM
:hand: Maybe we could get that young Diaz cat in Austin. He really knows his stuff. :rolleyes:

USC defense ranked 60
Texas defense ranked 67

Not much difference.

Tejastrue
01-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Please bobcat1..no kitty cats on the Dallas staff!!!

bobcat1
01-10-2013, 11:10 PM
USC defense ranked 60
Texas defense ranked 67

Not much difference.

Except for the talent pool. Who recruits better Mack or Lane Kiffin?

Old Tiger
01-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Except for the talent pool. Who recruits better Mack or Lane Kiffin?According to Rivals team rankings they are pretty much on par in that category as well.

bobcat1
01-10-2013, 11:26 PM
According to Rivals team rankings they are pretty much on par in that category as well.

So which of the 2 would you choose?

Roughneck93
01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Monte Kiffin has been hired as the DC according to sources...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/monte-kiffin-agrees-to-become-cowboys-defensive-coordinator/

pirate4state
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Monte Kiffin has been hired as the DC according to sources...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/monte-kiffin-agrees-to-become-cowboys-defensive-coordinator/

I really don't like this hire. The dude is 100. A consultant - yes. Coach? No. But hey, that's just my opinion. Jerry is becoming too much like Al Davis. SMDH

Bullaholic
01-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I really don't like this hire. The dude is 100. A consultant - yes. Coach? No. But hey, that's just my opinion. Jerry is becoming too much like Al Davis. SMDH

Dick Lebeau of Pittsburgh is 75, P4S, and his defenses ain't too shabby. Kiffin's NFL layoff since 2008 bothers me more. Lots of things have changed since that time.

Macarthur
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
nm..

bobcat1
01-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Ware and Ratliff will be the big winners in this. Ware coming every down and Ratliff playing tackle instead of the nose he never was. Odd man out may be Spencer. Lee, Carter and Albright or Sims will do fine at LB. Marcus Spears could work in as a tackle along with Hatcher. Need another rushing d-end or 2. We need Jadeveon Clowney.

Old Tiger
01-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Ware and Ratliff will be the big winners in this. Ware coming every down and Ratliff playing tackle instead of the nose he never was. Odd man out may be Spencer. Lee, Carter and Albright or Sims will do fine at LB. Marcus Spears could work in as a tackle along with Hatcher. Need another rushing d-end or 2. We need Jadeveon Clowney.
I think you need a pass coverage OLB more than a DE for this.

bobcat1
01-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I think you need a pass coverage OLB more than a DE for this.

You're right. Hadn't thought about that. I know Sean Lee does a good job. Maybe they put Carter in the middle and Lee outside. We'll see.

Old Tiger
01-12-2013, 09:55 AM
You're right. Hadn't thought about that. I know Sean Lee does a good job. Maybe they put Carter in the middle and Lee outside. We'll see.

I think in the Tampa 2 you want a rangy middle linebacker that is athletic and fast. Sean Lee will probably do a good job in it.

bobcat1
01-12-2013, 10:38 AM
I think in the Tampa 2 you want a rangy middle linebacker that is athletic and fast. Sean Lee will probably do a good job in it.

So who could be our outside cover LB?

Old Tiger
01-12-2013, 01:12 PM
So who could be our outside cover LB?

I would say put ware at your buck end position and just l

Bruce Carter at one of the OLB positions and maybe draft CJ Mosely out of Bama

bobcat1
01-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I would say put ware at your buck end position and just l

Bruce Carter at one of the OLB positions and maybe draft CJ Mosely out of BamaMosely would be awesome.

Macarthur
01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Carter is extremely fast. Broaddus is saying lee at mike, carter at will and albright/conner at sam.

Farmersfan
01-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Carter is extremely fast. Broaddus is saying lee at mike, carter at will and albright/conner at sam.

I think Carter was finally coming into form before he got hurt. I'm ok with Carter and Lee but Albright/Conner would be an extremely weak link in the defense. At times late in the season Connor looked like he was running in mud trying to get sideline to sideline. Maybe ok as a backup but shouldn't see the field very often............... I know it is debated on here a lot but in my opinion Ware was not that good in space. Moving to the TE spot and rushing the passer on every down would be a great benefit to this team. (that is if Ware can get back to his pre-injury form). the last part of this season Ware was terrible.

Macarthur
01-14-2013, 09:30 AM
I think Carter was finally coming into form before he got hurt. I'm ok with Carter and Lee but Albright/Conner would be an extremely weak link in the defense. At times late in the season Connor looked like he was running in mud trying to get sideline to sideline. Maybe ok as a backup but shouldn't see the field very often............... I know it is debated on here a lot but in my opinion Ware was not that good in space. Moving to the TE spot and rushing the passer on every down would be a great benefit to this team. (that is if Ware can get back to his pre-injury form). the last part of this season Ware was terrible.

I agree on Conner. However, I think the team was very encouraged with the play of Albright late in the season. They also have the kid, McSurley, or something like that, that was drafted last year. I'm sure they will address in FA with some depth because Lee and Carter both have some injury issues so it may be asking too much for these guys to play a full season.

I think the real key to this thing will be the safety position and Ratliff. If Rat is close to his old form, he could be a real force in this scheme. And the Tampa 2 really needs quality safety play. That probably scares me the most.

Macarthur
01-14-2013, 09:42 AM
And they have Kyle Wilber who will probably be an OLB.

Farmersfan
01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree on Conner. However, I think the team was very encouraged with the play of Albright late in the season. They also have the kid, McSurley, or something like that, that was drafted last year. I'm sure they will address in FA with some depth because Lee and Carter both have some injury issues so it may be asking too much for these guys to play a full season.

I think the real key to this thing will be the safety position and Ratliff. If Rat is close to his old form, he could be a real force in this scheme. And the Tampa 2 really needs quality safety play. That probably scares me the most.

Church not the answer in your opinion? I had some reservations about the 'boys going into the season with Church as their starting safety. Should they address this in FA also?

Macarthur
01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Church not the answer in your opinion? I had some reservations about the 'boys going into the season with Church as their starting safety. Should they address this in FA also?

Boy, that's a great question. I like Church, but I have some reservations. The biggest issue with Church coming into the league was that he isn't particularly fast - range is an issue. Sensy is a decent NFL safety but he's not really a rangy CF type of safety. So it seems to me that they may have 2 strong safeties. It will be interesting to see what happens with Johnson because this is a kid that they kept on the 53 the whole year while he was injured. I think this is a clear sign that they didn't want to risk putting him on the practice squad and exposing him.

To your FA point, it would be interesting to see if a guy like Ronde Barber could come in on a one year deal to be that defensive QB and tudor the young safeties.

Cam
01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Boy, that's a great question. I like Church, but I have some reservations. The biggest issue with Church coming into the league was that he isn't particularly fast - range is an issue. Sensy is a decent NFL safety but he's not really a rangy CF type of safety. So it seems to me that they may have 2 strong safeties. It will be interesting to see what happens with Johnson because this is a kid that they kept on the 53 the whole year while he was injured. I think this is a clear sign that they didn't want to risk putting him on the practice squad and exposing him.

To your FA point, it would be interesting to see if a guy like Ronde Barber could come in on a one year deal to be that defensive QB and tudor the young safeties.

I like Church too. But with the type of injury he sustained I'd be worried about him. Maybe it'll finally be time for Matt Johnson to show something.

Tejastrue
02-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Rob Ryan is employed again. Took a little longer than he said it would but this has got to be a great situation for him. Time will tell.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/02/09/rob-ryan-names-new-saints-defensive-coordinator-kwan-named-assistant-special/

bobcat1
02-09-2013, 08:27 PM
The Saints do well with former coaches from Dallas.

Tejastrue
02-09-2013, 10:01 PM
The Saints do well with former coaches from Dallas.

Indeed they do. Wonder why that is? :D