PDA

View Full Version : YOURE BIGGEST HEARTBREAKER IN SCHOOL HISTORY

MARLINFAN
07-31-2003, 09:00 AM
WHAT WAS YOUR SCHOOLS BIGGEST HEARTBREAKER. IM TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH GAME IT WAS FOR ME BUT ILL TELL U LATER. IM DECIDING ON THE 5 RD LOST TO LAGRANGE TWO YEARS AGO OR THE 4 TH ROUND 3 OT LOST TO BELLVILLE THIS YEAR . RIGHT NOW IM UNDECIDED. IM ALSO PUTTING A 4 YR AGO,4 ROUNDS DEEP LOST TO ROBINSON IN OT.

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: MARLINFAN ]</small>

3afan2K3
07-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Any of Forney's everman playoff loses

3afan
07-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Forney's loss to LaGrange in the 2000 3A title game ...

trojandad
07-31-2003, 10:04 AM
I was going to say our '92 loss to Southlake Carroll in the finals, but I believe it hurt more to lose Coach Peveto not long after. He would have had other teams like that. Very tough loss.

trojandad
07-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Sorry, was incomplete, he died of heart failure. Was a really great coach, a better man and father figure to a lot of kids, athlete or no.

District303aPastPlayer
07-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Sintons loss this year after fielding one of their best teams in history.

old dragon
07-31-2003, 10:53 AM
For me it goes back many years and not so many years.This is due to the fact that playoff experiences have come far and in between around Tatertown.In '81 the Buckeyes lost in the finals to Cameron Yoe,we were plaqued with injuries all year,probably started 6 or 7 different backs during that run.Recently we lost to Texarkana Pleasant Grove in 2001,7-0 after dropping a sure touchdown pass and going for a touchdown around their 7 yard line 7 times consecutively only to come away with an interception return for 104 yards and the only score in the game with time expired.I didn't mention that we had a rather decent field goal kicker that year.Ouch, that still smarts.

Ranger Mom
07-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Greenwood VS. Bandera

State Championship game - 2002

It still makes me sick to my stomach to think about it!!

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

RBARKER
07-31-2003, 12:23 PM
I don't know about in school history but one comes to mind for me. 1989 What I beleive to be one of Barbers Hill's greatest teams the only problem was the team counted on one outstanding running back. Last game of the year before the playoffs this running back got ankle tackeled during the first play of the game which ended up breaking his ankle. BH lost in the first round to a good Montgomery team 34-26. It was a heart breaker because with that RB healthy I believe BH had a shot at State that year. We will never know.

pirate4state
07-31-2003, 02:21 PM
:( Sinton's loss in the title game to Everman. I'm with RangerMom...I still get sick to my stomach when I think about. And then our loss to Burnet in 2002. yuck, yuck, yuck

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: pirate4state ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
07-31-2003, 03:24 PM
As far as Bandera goes, I think the loss to Liberty Hill this year was the all time low point for the team this year. To be spanked in your homecoming game and in lousy weather, was the all time low for this team. They dug deep and slowly began to find their heart in the coming weeks and by playoffs the memory of that loss was a way in the past.

big daddy russ
07-31-2003, 03:24 PM
For Ingleside, it would have to be just two years ago, in the 2001 season, when our 28-27 loss to archrival Aransas Pass all but kept us from going to the playoffs.

We were poised to make the playoffs for the first time since 1995 and only the second time since 1964. The Mustangs had already taken out four of the district's seven opponents, including the one we had marked with a big bullseye, Odem.

Going into the big game with a 4-0 district record and in front of a capacity crowd of about 6,000, Ingleside squandered a second-half lead to the 1-3 Panthers when AP scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and went up 28-21 with little time remaining. But Ingleside came back and scored on the last play of the game... and then they lined up for the two-point conversion. All-or-nothing for first-year head coach Lamar Lewis. Ingleside ran a misdirection and drew the entire AP defense to the left side of the field while All-District running back Brian Chatman was off to his right. The only Panther defender that didn't bite was linebacker Leon Belfon, and "B-C" was burning all eight cylinders of that 4.4 speed to get to the outside. It didn't work. Belfon stood him up at the six-inch line and preserved a one-point victory for the Panthers.

After that upset, the playoff race was again a five-team race and with their only remaining games against quite possibly the two toughest teams in the district (Mathis and Sinton), the Mustangs' run toward the playoffs didn't look as promising as the day before. The kids finished the season tied for third in District at 4-3 and on the outside of the playoffs looking in. And to make the season that much more bitter, the team that essentially knocked those kids out of the playoffs, our archrivals, was one of the teams that tied us for third.

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
07-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Bridge City's lost to Cleveland in 2000. Ref called back a crucial touchdown, giving Cleveland the edge. frown

audasmom7
07-31-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes State was a heartbreaker.. But at the same time I was so proud of our guys.. And I dont think I had ever seen Jeremy play so hard, It still gets me when I remember the end of the game.. You always want to take the hurt away when it comes to your child .. But that's a pain only time will heal.

big69
07-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Probably the 45-0 loss to Mexia in 2000 after having the best team in school history and stomping everybody that got in our way and going 10-0. Then in 2001 winning bi-district to redeem ourselves then losing 69-14 to Giddings in the second round. Should have been a lot better game because we played like crap. But Giddings also had a strong fast team, but still the score should not have been that high.

Burnet Dawg06
07-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Probally the 2002 state championship game aginst Everman....But thats the only one that I remember..

Chris Hart
07-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Our 7-0 loss to Groesbeck in the 91 title game, after ousting Vernon, Marble Falls and Southlake Carroll the three previous weeks. All of them teams were better than the Groesbeck team, but the BIG DANCE had us a little shook up that day.

A close second was last year's title game watching a hobbled and helpless Stephen McGee trying to work against the Everman pass rush. I genuinely felt sorry for him, but his efforts made us proud just the same.

bccards
07-31-2003, 05:10 PM
exbccards76'smom:
Bridge City's lost to Cleveland in 2000. Ref called back a crucial touchdown, giving Cleveland the edge. :(I think the biggest heart breaker was in '96 when Bridge City was playing PN-G in 4A for the District Championship, and Les Johnson let up and put in 2nd string way too early, and let PN-G come up from 3 TD's behind and beat us by 3 points. Therefore, making us 3rd place, and missing the playoffs.. PNG and WOS went in that year, with PNG dist champs.. I've never seen a crowd like that in Bridge City.. Sold out standing room only in both sides of a stadium that holds at least 2,500 people i'd think on either side. Was an amazing site, I still got that game on tape.. We won't ever see anything like that in MANY years to come.. was a helluva game though!!

sinton66
07-31-2003, 05:18 PM
No doubt about it, the '01 title loss to a great Everman team. So close, but just out of reach. 5 turnovers didn't help. Oh well, someday we will win it all and sit back and smile! wink :)

<small>[ July 31, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Phil C
08-01-2003, 01:35 PM
I know it has been mentioned as a great win for Sinton but for Hitchcock that Regional playoff game in 1992 (I think) has to be one of the biggest disappointments for them. Sinton was ahead in penetrations and first downs in the last minute and a half but unfortunately they were behind on the scoreboard 13 to 12. The Sinton coach told the players to let Hitchcock score which they did and were ahead 19 to 12. Hitchcock missed the extra point but time was still low but of course as mentioned Sinton started passing and scored in the last few seconds and kicked the extra points and advanced by the tie breaker ( they didn't have overtime in HS then). It has to have been a big disappointment to Hitchcock. I always wondered what if the player who scored last for Hitchcock had ran down to the one yard line and stopped and let the clock run and then when the Sinton players caught on what he was doing and went to get him he could have kneeled down 6 inches from the goal line and they would have had first and goal from there and just ran out more of the clock till fourth down (the clock would have ran out before then though) and then on fourth down get the score with little if any time. Oh well it is always easy to look back on things and say what if.

exbccards76'smom
08-01-2003, 03:24 PM
bccards:

exbccards76'smom:
Bridge City's lost to Cleveland in 2000. Ref called back a crucial touchdown, giving Cleveland the edge. :( I think the biggest heart breaker was in '96 when Bridge City was playing PN-G in 4A for the District Championship, and Les Johnson let up and put in 2nd string way too early, and let PN-G come up from 3 TD's behind and beat us by 3 points. Therefore, making us 3rd place, and missing the playoffs.. PNG and WOS went in that year, with PNG dist champs.. I've never seen a crowd like that in Bridge City.. Sold out standing room only in both sides of a stadium that holds at least 2,500 people i'd think on either side. Was an amazing site, I still got that game on tape.. We won't ever see anything like that in MANY years to come.. was a helluva game though!!That was a heartbreaker, too!!

jason
08-01-2003, 04:37 PM
2001 Loss to La Grange in the State Championship Game....

spirate_9
08-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Sinton's 2001 Championship game loss to Everman. We were winning at half time, but 2nd half turnovers cost us the championship. Also Sinton's 2002 Regional Final loss to Burnet. We had 2 or 3 4th down attempts in the 4th quarter that if we converted, we might have won the game. Those were both heartbreaking losses.

sinton66
08-01-2003, 05:15 PM
PhilC, that game with Hitchcock had to be a heartbreaker for their coach, he was coaching someplace else the next year. That game cost him his job. I knew it would.

PhiI C
08-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Thank you Sinton 66. I didn't know the Hitchcock Coach was ever fired for that game even these many years later. Strange he would be fired after getting them to the Regionals. You would think that would actually encourage him to build an extra wing on his house. Come to think of it though I don't think Hitchcock has done much in football since they fired him that I know of.

sinton66
08-01-2003, 09:33 PM
I knew it was going to happen, and even told Davenport after the game that he probably got the guy fired. When you think about what head coaches are paid, it's one thing to get beat by a better team, but something else to get outcoached. Don't know too many booster clubs that would put up with that.

PhiI C
08-02-2003, 01:40 PM
I know Gregory-Portland is in 4A but their biggest disappointing loss has to be the 1969 State Championship loss to Plano by 21 to 20. They had a chance to win by a last second field goal which was about a 40 yard attemp but they had a kicker that was capable of making it. The sad thing is that they were 15 yards closer which were have been even better for him but a 15 yard penalty moved the ball back from the 13 to the 27. Also they had scored what would have been a touchdown earlier but as the player crossed the goal line he was hit and fumbled in the end zone and Plano recovered. A lot of people thought he had crossed the goal line before he fumbled which would have given them a touchdown. I listened to the game in Kingsville so I didn't get to see any game films on that play. It is possible they were robbed. But to have come so close it must have been tough.

pirateman98
08-03-2003, 01:56 PM
When think of the biggest heart break Sinton had, in my book was back in 1990, when we played Crockett Bulldogs(before I go any further with it, we seem to have a lot of bad luck aganist any team that has a Bulldogs as a mascot)!!!!
It was the State-Semifinals and we where in Austin at UT stadium, we lost 15-14 with a opportunity to win the game the last few seconds of the game with a field goal. I remember it was very cold and windy that night. Sinton used two timeouts and Crockett used one right before that kick. It was Eric Garza's birthday that night and he was the one who was kicking the ball. When they finially decided to kick the ball, I remember that everone on your side started to cheer and we thought we won the game for a good three seconds. Then we got real quite when we realized we missed the field goal and lost the game. We had are opportunities to score more, but the ref.'s call a least two to three touchdowns back. It sucked and then in the second half we just couldn't get anything going at all. That was one of the best teams to come out of Sinton ever(along with them 2001 and 2002 teams)!!!
I am not taking anything way from the past two years, those were heart-breakers as well, but this one still hits me hard to this day.

<small>[ August 03, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: pirateman98 ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
08-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Biggest Heartbreaker has to be the lost in the Semifinals in 2001 to Commerce. The Bulls had made a living in their playoff run by getting behind then coming back and giving us all heart conditions.

That game, they fell down three TDs, but still hung in their and made it a memorable game. Commerce was bigger, faster, and the better team. But if we can just dream a little... and if the pass wasn't INT with 4:00 left...

District303aPastPlayer
08-04-2003, 01:00 AM
the infamous eric garza kick.... that one is still haunting this town, 13 years later. EVERYTIME i talk football with someone, they ALWAYS bring up "The Kick"

MARLINFAN
08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
WHATS THE ERIC GARZA KICK. WHAT HAPPENED

Phil C
08-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Marlin this was a field goal attemp in the State Semi Final game between Sinton and Crockett in the last few seconds in 1990. It was a cold windy night. The kick would have given Sinton the win in the last few seconds. He actually kicked the ball straight and true but it was unfortunately a case of kicking it too good and straight that night because the wind caught it and moved the ball to the right just far enough to hit the goal post and deflect it outward giving Crockett the win. The next week Crocket played Vernon in even worse weather for the State Championshhip and lost 41 -20.

sinton66
08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
pirateman98 described it also in a post above this.

toby070
08-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Phil C:
I know it has been mentioned as a great win for Sinton but for Hitchcock that Regional playoff game in 1992 (I think) has to be one of the biggest disappointments for them. Sinton was ahead in penetrations and first downs in the last minute and a half but unfortunately they were behind on the scoreboard 13 to 12. The Sinton coach told the players to let Hitchcock score which they did and were ahead 19 to 12. Hitchcock missed the extra point but time was still low but of course as mentioned Sinton started passing and scored in the last few seconds and kicked the extra points and advanced by the tie breaker ( they didn't have overtime in HS then). It has to have been a big disappointment to Hitchcock. I always wondered what if the player who scored last for Hitchcock had ran down to the one yard line and stopped and let the clock run and then when the Sinton players caught on what he was doing and went to get him he could have kneeled down 6 inches from the goal line and they would have had first and goal from there and just ran out more of the clock till fourth down (the clock would have ran out before then though) and then on fourth down get the score with little if any time. Oh well it is always easy to look back on things and say what if.Hitchcock was thesource of one of my disappointments, if you follow them, you may rememeber the game. They played Medina Valley in Cuero, maybe 1990? Medina Valley had a very good team, a great game came down to a PAT. If MV hit it, they advanced on penetrations. They missed. Hitchcock advanced several rounds, I think maybe to the semi-finals, which hurt MV even more. My heart really went out to those kids, especially the kicker.

Phil C
08-04-2003, 10:57 AM
That is right Sinton 66, I missed it. Sorry Pirate 98.

HOW ABOUT THEM SPURS WINNING THE 2003 NBA CHAMPIONSHIP! BEST NBA SERIES WE EVER HAD!

AND HEY ESPN: WHERE'S THE CAT?

PPBEARCAT
08-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Well for me it would be when we lost to Sonora in the 2000 Semi's. Of course other losses that hurt pretty bad was 1990 Semi's loss to DeLeon when we lost 9-7 after faking a field goal instead of kicking the field goal. 1992 Semi's loss to Goldthwaite on penetrations 0-0, eventhough PP scored at TD, the ref who was out of position to make the call called it a no catch and said the receiver's feet were not inbounds. we also could have kicked a field goal, but didn't want to put pressure on freshman kicker so we went for it instead and didn't get in the endzone. Then ofcourse the 47-7 spanking by Goldthwaite in the next year in Semi's, that was more embarassing than hurtful.

Bandera YaYa
08-06-2003, 05:16 PM
I agree, RangerMom....even tho we won, I can still feel how I felt during the last quarter, so many times I had to sit down, I thought I was going to pass out!! Good luck to ya'll this year!!