PDA

View Full Version : Will Aggies lose any of their starting Offensive Tackles

Phil C
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
They are both juniors but they may declare for the draft. One is Luke Joeckel who is expected to be a top 5 pick. I think he should go rather than risk injury and lose lots of money. I know insurance is available but still you risk losing a lot of money.
The other is Jake Matthews and I don't know what his rating is but if he is expected to be a first or second rounder I feel he should go for the money.

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Opposite end of the spectrum is that they could stay and compete for a nationàl championship and get their degrees...

NastySlot
01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
tweet going around that Matthews is staying.

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
As encouraging as that tweet by ogbuehi is, it leads me to believe Joeckel is leaving.

Oh well though, I'd rather have 1 than none

slingshot
01-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Talked with one of Joeckel's good friends from A&M today--he says he's leaning 80% towards staying. A&M could be dominant next year...

bwdlionfan
01-07-2013, 10:34 PM
They are both juniors but they may declare for the draft. One is Luke Joeckel who is expected to be a top 5 pick. I think he should go rather than risk injury and lose lots of money. I know insurance is available but still you risk losing a lot of money.
The other is Jake Matthews and I don't know what his rating is but if he is expected to be a first or second rounder I feel he should go for the money.

I'm not an Aggie fan, but their line is extremely good. I wish the Cowboys could have one... then they'd at least have one good offensive lineman

Phil C
01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Opposite end of the spectrum is that they could stay and compete for a nationàl championship and get their degrees...

True that but still taking a chance. You can get big money in the pros and come back for your degree but on the other hand you might risk millions like Leinart did.

New Taiton
01-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Rumors are that Bruce Matthews has had in depth conversations with the Joeckel family about Luke's future.

He thinks it's in Luke's best interest to stay, as you only have your college years once.

However, while the Joeckel family is fine, I don't think they're as well off as the Matthews are and I think Luke probably should go....but it's up in the air.

I think the longer this plays out works out better for A&M; if Luke was going to go, he shouldv'e made his announcement right after Dmontre Moore.

If they stay, A&M loses a great center in Lewis but gains the last Matthews brother.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2013, 10:03 AM
If your a top 10 pick, go pro I say. You can get that degree 10 years later. Or, if your that good, you'll never need a degree.

Matthew328
01-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I think Joeckel goes......Matthews stays

1st and goal
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
another Phil troll thread. But a good topic despite his personal wishes they'd leave so the Aggies wouldn't have ALL THE FREAKING LIMELIGHT!!!!

Nothing to do since all cycling has been killed off by the dope scandal.

coachc45
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
The one thing that people forget to mention when talking about Joeckel is that his TWIN brother is the 3rd team QB. There is a lot to be said about the bond between brothers and it is even more pronounced when you start talking about Twins. I think he stays. I've said all along that Matthews would stay.

pancho villa
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
You go to college to get a job making $. NFL pays well. I say see ya and make that $.

Matthew328
01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Announcement that Joeckel is entering the draft is expected today

Phil C
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
another Phil troll thread. But a good topic despite his personal wishes they'd leave so the Aggies wouldn't have ALL THE FREAKING LIMELIGHT!!!!

Nothing to do since all cycling has been killed off by the dope scandal.

Not completely true. You have to look at the player's best interest. I didn't want VY to go pro but felt like it was in his best interest to go when he did and he made millions rather than risking it. If Jeffcoat hadn't got hurt this year it would have been in his best interest to go pro and if he is a first or second rounder which I doubt it would still have been best to go for the money.

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Being reported that Joeckel is leaving...

Phil C
01-08-2013, 02:05 PM
You go to college to get a job making $. NFL pays well. I say see ya and make that $.

VIVA VILLA!!! :clap:

buff4ever
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
I am not sure what these two kids are going to do. My guess would be one stay and one go.

However, what is going to be funnier than hell, is if they both stay; to watch all of the texas fans get on here and say how stupid they are for not going pro. Jealousy can be an ugly thing.

NastySlot
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Being reported that Joeckel is leaving...

I heard the same thing......Good Luck to him and thanks for all he did for the program also to D Moore and the Seniors it was a heck of a season.

Phil C
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I am not sure what these two kids are going to do. My guess would be one stay and one go.

However, what is going to be funnier than hell, is if they both stay; to watch all of the texas fans get on here and say how stupid they are for not going pro. Jealousy can be an ugly thing.

We were sure right about Leinart. This is in accordance with the broadcasting announcers.

Phil C
01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJOjTNuuEVw

buff4ever
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
We were sure right about Leinart. This is in accordance with the broadcasting announcers.

I think that leinart still got his pay day.

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Luicci has confirmed from multiple sources that Joeckel is leaving.

Congrats to him and couldn't say thanks enough for all he did for a&m's program.

Matthews is staying and we've got good players coming up. A&M will be fine :)

Phil C
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I think that leinart still got his pay day.

He made millions but it could have been millions more.

Papá Oso
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Luke Joeckel letter to 12th Man after Declaring for Draft .

Classy young man, I wish him a long and successful career in the NFL. Most mock drafts I've seen have him going 1 or 2. Looks like Matthews will be staying for his senior year and moving to the left side and replacing Luke.

"Dear 12th Man and Texas A&M University,

As you may have heard, I have decided to enter the 2013 NFL Draft and forego my senior season at Texas A&M. While I am excited about my future, I wanted you to know this was a very hard decision. To leave A&M, my brother Matt, my teammates, the coaches and the 12th Man is the toughest thing I have ever done. However, like graduating high school early to come to A&M three years ago, I feel like I again have an opportunity that I cannot pass up.

Before I leave, I want to take this opportunity to thank....

The 12th Man - You are a major reason I chose Texas A&M. During the recruiting process, I realized that other schools and football programs didn't have the same spirit, support and character that we have here. Every Aggie player is lucky to represent you and I am proud of my three years playing for you...

My teammates - This year, we were closer than ever. We had the season we did because we all had each other's backs and nobody doubted that. To Jake, Patrick, Cedric, Jarvis and the rest of the guys in that room, I am proud to be a Maroon Goon and thankful to call you my good friends and teammates. I'm also thankful to have had the opportunity to block for Johnny this year. I'm positive he's in good hands with the guys returning to the line next year...

My coaches - I have been blessed to play for great coaches. Thank you for pushing me to improve in every practice and for leading us so successfully through our first year in the SEC...

The Mays Business School - I am proud I am part of this great school and I have every intention to finish my degree in the near future. Thank you for equipping me to make this very difficult business decision...

The Texas A&M Administration - I can't tell you how thankful I am that you moved us to the SEC. As a result of your decision, Texas A&M has many great opportunities - but speaking for myself, your decision meant I had the chance to play against the best competition in the country. That is a major reason why I am in the position I am now.

As I leave College Station to pursue my dream of playing in the NFL, know that I will be back often. Also know that I will do what I can to let everyone know how great A&M is. Hopefully, you feel I have been a good friend and served the 12th Man and University well. I know as I look back, it is you and all the great experiences I've had on and off the field that make me proud to be an Aggie.

Gig 'Em!
Luke Joeckel"

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2013, 10:29 PM

Classy young man, I wish him a long and successful career in the NFL. Most mock drafts I've seen have him going 1 or 2. Looks like Matthews will be staying for his senior year and moving to the left side and replacing Luke.

As you may have heard, I have decided to enter the 2013 NFL Draft and forego my senior season at Texas A&M. While I am excited about my future, I wanted you to know this was a very hard decision. To leave A&M, my brother Matt, my teammates, the coaches and the 12th Man is the toughest thing I have ever done. However, like graduating high school early to come to A&M three years ago, I feel like I again have an opportunity that I cannot pass up.

The 12th Man - You are a major reason I chose Texas A&M. During the recruiting process, I realized that other schools and football programs didn't have the same spirit, support and character that we have here. Every Aggie player is lucky to represent you and I am proud of my three years playing for you...

My teammates - This year, we were closer than ever. We had the season we did because we all had each other's backs and nobody doubted that. To Jake, Patrick, Cedric, Jarvis and the rest of the guys in that room, I am proud to be a Maroon Goon and thankful to call you my good friends and teammates. I'm also thankful to have had the opportunity to block for Johnny this year. I'm positive he's in good hands with the guys returning to the line next year...

My coaches - I have been blessed to play for great coaches. Thank you for pushing me to improve in every practice and for leading us so successfully through our first year in the SEC...

The Mays Business School - I am proud I am part of this great school and I have every intention to finish my degree in the near future. Thank you for equipping me to make this very difficult business decision...

The Texas A&M Administration - I can't tell you how thankful I am that you moved us to the SEC. As a result of your decision, Texas A&M has many great opportunities - but speaking for myself, your decision meant I had the chance to play against the best competition in the country. That is a major reason why I am in the position I am now.

As I leave College Station to pursue my dream of playing in the NFL, know that I will be back often. Also know that I will do what I can to let everyone know how great A&M is. Hopefully, you feel I have been a good friend and served the 12th Man and University well. I know as I look back, it is you and all the great experiences I've had on and off the field that make me proud to be an Aggie.

Gig 'Em!
Luke Joeckel"

:2thumbsup

bwdlionfan
01-09-2013, 01:17 PM

What's funny is how you manage to bring Texas up in almost every post relating to A&M. Envy?

ogg
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Gig 'Em!
Luke Joeckel"
Wish the Cowboys could pick this kid up, unfortunately that won't happen.

buff4ever
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
What's funny is how you manage to bring Texas up in almost every post relating to A&M. Envy?

I think you have me confused for someone else like maybe buff42 or something. I allowed myself to get pulled in to this one, a thread started by a UT fan about A&M athletes, but I typically do not. I am and Aggie, and one that quite frankly gets tired of A&M & UT fans going back and forth. The rivalry thing is good, the back and forth is great; that is what rivalries are about, the way UT and A&M do it is embarrassing. Both sides contradict themselves time and time again to attack the other. Say something when the shoe is on the other foot, then when it is not they support the same thing they criticize.

My only reason for getting drug in on this one, was if it were UT athletes being discussed, UT fans would hope he would stay and would think it speaks well for the program, if Mathews decides to stay, which I think he is, the individual athlete will be criticized for not taking the money. The fact that a UT fan started the thread, that was the path this thread was intended to take, but if the shoe were on the other foot, what then?

It is an individual decision, and there is no right or wrong choice in the matter. Each scenario is different, and each athlete has different things they are considering that we know nothing about.

Phil C
01-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I feel anyone who is projected to be a first or second rounder should go and not take a chance on losing money. I don't care whether they to to UT, A&M, Rice, Alabama, ND, USC, OK, etc. I am a UT fan but a big star on the Men's Golf National Championship Team decided to turn pro. He was only a sophomore and his name is Jordan Spieth. I hated to lose him after just one year but I don't blame him at all for going for the money. In fact I would have reccommened it though I admit reluctantly.

Buff42
01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I think you have me confused for someone else like maybe buff42 or something. I allowed myself to get pulled in to this one, a thread started by a UT fan about A&M athletes, but I typically do not. I am and Aggie, and one that quite frankly gets tired of A&M & UT fans going back and forth. The rivalry thing is good, the back and forth is great; that is what rivalries are about, the way UT and A&M do it is embarrassing. Both sides contradict themselves time and time again to attack the other. Say something when the shoe is on the other foot, then when it is not they support the same thing they criticize.

My only reason for getting drug in on this one, was if it were UT athletes being discussed, UT fans would hope he would stay and would think it speaks well for the program, if Mathews decides to stay, which I think he is, the individual athlete will be criticized for not taking the money. The fact that a UT fan started the thread, that was the path this thread was intended to take, but if the shoe were on the other foot, what then?

It is an individual decision, and there is no right or wrong choice in the matter. Each scenario is different, and each athlete has different things they are considering that we know nothing about.

I just hate tu and everything it stands for. With a passion. No excuses.

Phil C
01-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I just hate tu and everything it stands for. With a passion. No excuses.

Why? (Don't worry. I don't really believe you have an answer. :) )

Phil C
01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Another thing is look at Notre Dame's Mante Te'O. Last year he was projected as a first rounder for sure but he decided to stay his senior year and it looked like it may have helped him - until - the game with Alabama and now his stock has slid. That is another risk to staying. You can play great games but one bad game especially late in the year and disaster.

buff4ever
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Another thing is look at Notre Dame's Mante Te'O. Last year he was projected as a first rounder for sure but he decided to stay his senior year and it looked like it may have helped him - until - the game with Alabama and now his stock has slid. That is another risk to staying. You can play great games but one bad game especially late in the year and disaster.

Like I have said before, it is an individuals decision, and different factors factor in for each individual. First of all, for lineman, it is odd to have a off year, from one to the next. Then, some individuals may feel they need to condition themselves another year. Put on weight, get stronger, or whatever before they try the big show. It is easy for us to say, "he should" "he shouldn't", but it isn't our decision to make or question, as we don't know what factors each individual is factoring or considering.

Buff42, don't feel too bad, there are a lot of Horn fans that feel the way you do about UT about A&M. I think it is silly myself, but this particular rivalry had taken that path a long time ago. I have always preferred to share a respect for a rivalry, which would lead you to believe your rival is a worthy rival. Instead, I see A&M & UT fans show a lack of respect but yet still put so much stock in the rivalry, doesn't really make since to me.

NastySlot
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
saw a press release Matthews coming back.

bwdlionfan
01-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Ah, you are correct. I did have you confused with buff42... My apologies, I'd hate for anyone to get me confused with him.

Buff42
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Why? (Don't worry. I don't really believe you have an answer. :) )

I don't feel compelled to give you a reason for this any more than I do for the reason I hate mushrooms. I'm sure you have some opinions of your own that you're entitled to and that I disagree with.

Buff42
01-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Ah, you are correct. I did have you confused with buff42... My apologies, I'd hate for anyone to get me confused with him.

Yeah, it'd be hard for anyone to believe you're actually capable of a cohesive thought.

Old Tiger
01-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Yeah, it'd be hard for anyone to believe you're actually capable of a cohesive thought.

The irony is this reply is allsome!