PDA

View Full Version : NCAA to Consider Changes to Transfer Policy

Roughneck93
01-04-2013, 04:18 PM
From the article...

The NCAA is now considering a rule change that would allow players in good academic standing to transfer and not sit out a year. Here are the major points:

*Athletes would still need to get permission to contact another school before transferring. But permission would be tied to practice and competition, not athletics aid. So even if permission was denied, the student-athlete would still be able to receive a scholarship.

*Athletes who qualify for the transfer exemption in the APR would be permitted to play immediately at the new school. That would make a 2.600 GPA the magic number to play immediately.

*Athletes who do not qualify to play immediately at the next school would still receive an extension of their five-year clock so they can use all their eligibility.

*Tampering with an athlete by another school would be considered a severe breach of conduct, a Level I violation, the highest in the NCAA’s new enforcement structure.

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2013/1/4/3835580/ncaa-considering-transfer-reforms

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2013/01/03/new-transfer-model-would-reduce-eligibility-consequences.htm

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
A 2.6 GPA is pretty weak. Pretty much all the athletes have to do is not be on scholastic probation?

Roughneck93
01-04-2013, 04:38 PM
It will be difficult to prove if any tampering occurred.

OLE'BULL
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
A 2.6 GPA is pretty weak. Pretty much all the athletes have to do is not be on scholastic probation?

A 2.6 is more than enough IMO. It isnt easy to meet the demands of a full classload, as well as a full football load. I am assuming YOU balanced both while you were in college? If a 2.6 is good enough to get a degree, why shouldn't it be enough to transfer?

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
A 2.6 is more than enough IMO. It isnt easy to meet the demands of a full classload, as well as a full football load. I am assuming YOU balanced both while you were in college? If a 2.6 is good enough to get a degree, why shouldn't it be enough to transfer?

Lol, football players don't take anywhere close to a full schedule, not to mention the abundance of tutoring and resources available to them that other students don't have.

Also, I never said a 2.6 wasn't good enough... Just seems kinda obscure and if you're going to impose a grade restriction, why 2.6?

OLE'BULL
01-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Lol, football players don't take anywhere close to a full schedule, not to mention the abundance of tutoring and resources available to them that other students don't have.

Also, I never said a 2.6 wasn't good enough... Just seems kinda obscure and if you're going to impose a grade restriction, why 2.6?

Oh that's weird because when I played Division 1 college football, we signed up for 15 hours a semester. Students had the same tutors we used, they just had to pay for them. Resources? Elaborate please. I managed to make it out of a pretty academically challenging university in 4.5 years. Faster than most of the "other students" these days...

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Oh that's weird because when I played Division 1 college football, we signed up for 15 hours a semester. Students had the same tutors we used, they just had to pay for them. Resources? Elaborate please. I managed to make it out of a pretty academically challenging university in 4.5 years. Faster than most of the "other students" these days... You must've played in the stone age then...

If I remember correctly, football players at A&M are only allowed to take 9 credits.

As far as tutoring goes and other resources available to athletes that other students dont have... personal tutors, supplemental teaching lessons, a 28,000 sq ft facility dedicated solely to student athletes' academics, endless human, text and online resources and for the student athletes who still struggle... there is added tutoring available... here's a pretty good example:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205237882

OLE'BULL
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
You must've played in the stone age then...

If I remember correctly, football players at A&M are only allowed to take 9 credits.

As far as tutoring goes and other resources available to athletes that other students dont have... personal tutors, supplemental teaching lessons, a 28,000 sq ft facility dedicated solely to student athletes' academics, endless human, text and online resources and for the student athletes who still struggle... there is added tutoring available... here's a pretty good example:

I graduated college in 2007, not quite the Stone Age. Not sure what you are getting at, but if you think student athletes have it made academically, you are sadly mistaken. BTW, check this link out http://slc.tamu.edu/. And section 1.7 on this one http://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule01

I seriously doubt that the Aggie athletes only register for 9 hours a semester.

Saggy Aggie
01-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Student learning center is fine and dandy. Everyone can use that including athletes. The athletes ALSO have all that added crap on top of the SLC though that other students don't.

Also, I am fully aware what a full time student is... But there are exceptions for athletes. I believe the football players register for 9 academic hours and they probably get some type of football credits to make them a full time student.

I didn't say ATHLETES register for 9 hours, I said FOOTBALL players register for 9.

The only point I'm making is that a 2.6 gpa in a more than likely easy major, only taking 3 classes and having all these resources isn't really all that impressive but eh, I'm done with thread.

refereedoc
01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

NCAA require at least 12 hours to be considered full time. They cannot drop below that during the semester as in dropping a class or they become ineligible immediately.

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2013, 09:59 AM
NCAA require at least 12 hours to be considered full time. They cannot drop below that during the semester as in dropping a class or they become ineligible immediately.

See above post...

raider red 2000
01-05-2013, 10:09 AM
What the heck are football credits?

I have heard of athletes taking some BS classes that will hey them to 12 hours, but I have never heard of kids getting credits for playing football.

Maybe that's how Johnny football is classified as a Jr but is only a freshman football wise. He must have watched a bunch of football to get ahead on credits ;)

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2013, 10:13 AM
What the heck are football credits?

I have heard of athletes taking some BS classes that will hey them to 12 hours, but I have never heard of kids getting credits for playing football.

Maybe that's how Johnny football is classified as a Jr but is only a freshman football wise. He must have watched a bunch of football to get ahead on credits ;)

I've got no idea exactly how it works, I just coulda swore that I heard a while back that they only register for 9 hours.

I assumed they receive football credits similar to research students receiving credits for their time away from the classroom. Idk honestly

Old Tiger
01-05-2013, 10:17 AM
You are a naive individual.

Old Tiger
01-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Talking to some of the Division 1 players I know and have met they say they get exact copies of test as study guides.

Rabid Cougar
01-05-2013, 11:31 AM
There are both kinds of D1 Football Student Athletes. My D1 Football Student Athlete graduated in 2 1/2 years Cum Laude with 2 years eligibilty left. Is now finishing his first year of Masters Program, all while playing football. If you have never been around D1 football programs it is the hardest full time job while going to school that any student would ever have deal with. The physical punishment that they must endure, not only during the fall, but also during the spring would kill most normal human beings. Did I mention 5:45am workouts all spring because of class schedules? And you DON'T see the pain and agony on their faces when they have to deal with surgeries and rehab, multiple times. Dealing with ALL of this WHILE still having to go to class, write papers and study for test. The exact same test that regular students have to take. My son is not alone. There are MANY that have accomplished the same. By all means, there are those that do as little as possible to skate by and there are LOTS of those kind.

To clump them all together is a slap in the face to those that have busted their ass both on and off the field. So the next time you THINK you know how good D1 football players have it, I invite you to tag along with him for semester.

Back on topic: Whatever they can do to make it easier for those students that take care of their business, including paying them, I am all for it.

I get off my soap box.

OLE'BULL
01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
There are both kinds of D1 Football Student Athletes. My D1 Football Student Athlete graduated in 2 1/2 years Cum Laude with 2 years eligibilty left. Is now finishing his first year of Masters Program, all while playing football. If you have never been around D1 football programs it is the hardest full time job while going to school that any student would ever have deal with. The physical punishment that they must endure, not only during the fall, but also during the spring would kill most normal human beings. Did I mention 5:45am workouts all spring because of class schedules? And you DON'T see the pain and agony on their faces when they have to deal with surgeries and rehab, multiple times. Dealing with ALL of this WHILE still having to go to class, write papers and study for test. The exact same test that regular students have to take. My son is not alone. There are MANY that have accomplished the same. By all means, there are those that do as little as possible to skate by and there are LOTS of those kind.

To clump them all together is a slap in the face to those that have busted their ass both on and off the field. So the next time you THINK you know how good D1 football players have it, I invite you to tag along with him for semester.

Back on topic: Whatever they can do to make it easier for those students that take care of their business, including paying them, I am all for it.

I get off my soap box.

Couldn't agree more. Sag Ag, I think I proved my point.

OLE'BULL
01-05-2013, 12:02 PM
You are a naive individual.

Elaborate por favor...

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2013, 12:33 PM

I get off my soap box.

Exception not the rule, but eh... Congrats to him.

big daddy russ
01-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Imagine all your freshman and sophomore friends. Now think about how many of them sport a 2.6 GPA.

I don't care if they're majoring in underwater basketweaving, most of the underclassmen I knew hovered in the low- to mid-2's before getting it together the last two years. It's not about ease, it's about kids ability to adjust to more responsibility. Reasonable IMO.

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I've got no idea exactly how it works, I just coulda swore that I heard a while back that they only register for 9 hours.

I assumed they receive football credits similar to research students receiving credits for their time away from the classroom. Idk honestly

All athletes MUST be enrolled in 12 hours of classes....they get ZERO credit for football. They have classes for coaching sports, but they are the same as all other students take in sports management or education degrees.