PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones vows change

Old Tiger
01-02-2013, 03:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8803148/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-vows-changes-coming

BwdLion73
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Thats funny.

Farmersfan
01-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I'll believe in changes when I see changes. Until then he is just blowing smoke.......

Farmersfan
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8803148/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-vows-changes-coming

I can't concentrate on your threads Old Tiger! Your signature is a bit distracting.................:2thumbsup

Roughneck93
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Start at the top...fire the GM! :foul:

1st and goal
01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, fire himself.

MustangFootball
01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Start at the top...fire the GM! :foul:

I seen an interview  with Jerry before the season started, he said he would have definetly fired a GM if he was performing like he has been...but he's not gonna fire himself, he said he's a successful business man and he's running this like he would a business. :1popcorn:

Roughneck93
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I seen an interview  with Jerry before the season started, he said he would have definetly fired a GM if he was performing like he has been...but he's not gonna fire himself, he said he's a successful business man and he's running this like he would a business. :1popcorn:

Yeah, but until then, we can expect the same results. :thmbdwn:

Trashman
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Jerry will never fire himself.....He is either stupid or too blind to see that he is the problem. :mad:

Farmersfan
01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Jerry will never fire himself.....He is either stupid or too blind to see that he is the problem. :mad:

Too Stupid? Too blind? They announced during the Sunday night game the Cowboy franchise was still the most valuable NFL franchise by about 400 million over the Patriots franchise. After 20 years of medicrity Jerry's investment is still growing in size. I would say he knows exactly what he is doing. Now from a purely football standpoint he is a moron. But 2.4 Billion and growing goes a long ways toward softening the pain of another sub-par season.

Z's daddy
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Not a Cowboys fan, but to say that because the franchise is worth $2.4 billion softens nothing. I don't care how much the franchise is worth unless I am trying to sell it. The one thing that fans care about is, are you doing everything you can to make the team better, to put them in a position to wins games, make the payoffs, and to win the Super Bowl. It has been clear that Jerry is more rapped up in himself than doing what is best for the organization. Sadly for Cowboys fans, this will not change until Jerry hires an actual GM. He is a good business man, no denying that. But when it comes to on the field decisions, he holds a spot right next to Al Davis. You cannot win in the NFL when you consistently make bad football decisions. Point the finger at Romo, Ryan, and Garrett all you want. But as you look at how other successful teams do it, they have good people in the right places, making the right decisions. The Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Packers and Colts have been the most consistent organizations over the last 10+ seasons for a reason. Smart people making smart football decisions to help make the team and organization better. Jerry can build the net worth all he wants. Everyone else is collecting Super Bowls.

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Nothing would goad him more than a half full Death Star on Sundays.

Emerson1
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
He would just make his Stephen Jones the GM if he gave up the role himself.

Farmersfan
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Not a Cowboys fan, but to say that because the franchise is worth $2.4 billion softens nothing. I don't care how much the franchise is worth unless I am trying to sell it. The one thing that fans care about is, are you doing everything you can to make the team better, to put them in a position to wins games, make the payoffs, and to win the Super Bowl. It has been clear that Jerry is more rapped up in himself than doing what is best for the organization. Sadly for Cowboys fans, this will not change until Jerry hires an actual GM. He is a good business man, no denying that. But when it comes to on the field decisions, he holds a spot right next to Al Davis. You cannot win in the NFL when you consistently make bad football decisions. Point the finger at Romo, Ryan, and Garrett all you want. But as you look at how other successful teams do it, they have good people in the right places, making the right decisions. The Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Packers and Colts have been the most consistent organizations over the last 10+ seasons for a reason. Smart people making smart football decisions to help make the team and organization better. Jerry can build the net worth all he wants. Everyone else is collecting Super Bowls.

I certainly think we can all agree with this about Jerry Jones. What I said was the 2.4 billion softens it for Jerry. The fans couldn't care less about the value of the franchisse.
But there is also one factor that you fail to mention in those "consistent" franchises. That is transcendent QB's. The Pats were less spectacular than the current Cowboys as a franchise until they got lucky on Tom Brady. (the coach didn't hurt either). The Colts hit pay dirt with Peyton Manning and then followed that up with Andrew Luck who looks to be the real deal. But the same Colts that won just 1 game last year with the same owner, coach and franchise is in the playoffs this season with a good rookie QB. The Packers replace Brett Favre with Rogers. The Steelers weren't bad but until they got Big Ben they weren't really a annual competitor for a Superbowl and the games Big Ben were out the Steelers were very, very average. This is the point I have always tried to make. None of it really matters if you don't have a QB that can win it. Once in a decade or so a team will catch lightening in a bottle and manage to win a Superbowl with a average QB and a All World defense. (ie, Ravens a few years back). of course making sound football decisions is paramount but part of those sound football decisions is putting the right QB in place. Everybody agrees that Jerry's football sense is lacking except when it comes the decisions he has made about Romo. I say Romo is also proof Jerry Jones doesn't know football and needs some help. I heard today on The Ticket Jerry may be trying to get Mike Holmgren in here as a football brain. I'm sure it would be as an adviser and certainly not as the GM............

Sville
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I agree with everyone that the only constant during the last 15 years of mediocrity has been Jerry Jones and since he is the main decision maker the results fall squarely on his shoulders. We Cowboy fans have to be realistic here and realize that Jerry is never going to fire him self as the GM, all we can hope for is he learns from his mistakes and becomes better at football decisions. The only thing that is going to stop Jones from being the GM is the grave. I have no doubt in Jones' desire to win, he is ultra competitive and narcissistic. Those traits will lead him to do everything possible to have a winning franchise under his watch.

With all that said the only head coach out there that I see worth changing Garrett for would be Bill Cower. But Jones like some Supe's is not going to hire a coach that has more skins on the wall than himself that way he can take the credit for leading the franchise back to prominence. In my opinion Garrett is a good coach but needs to hire an OC. There is too much that a NFL head coach has to pay attention to during a game to effectively be the play caller and HC. I would like to see him bring in one of his former mentors like Norv Turner to be the OC if possible. Next I think Rob Ryan is also a good DC and his defense suffered from injuries more than from a lack of coaching. I think an OC and improvement to the OL would be enough to push the Cowboys from mediocrity to a playoff team.

Farmersfan
01-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I agree with everyone that the only constant during the last 15 years of mediocrity has been Jerry Jones and since he is the main decision maker the results fall squarely on his shoulders. We Cowboy fans have to be realistic here and realize that Jerry is never going to fire him self as the GM, all we can hope for is he learns from his mistakes and becomes better at football decisions. The only thing that is going to stop Jones from being the GM is the grave. I have no doubt in Jones' desire to win, he is ultra competitive and narcissistic. Those traits will lead him to do everything possible to have a winning franchise under his watch.

With all that said the only head coach out there that I see worth changing Garrett for would be Bill Cower. But Jones like some Supe's is not going to hire a coach that has more skins on the wall than himself that way he can take the credit for leading the franchise back to prominence. In my opinion Garrett is a good coach but needs to hire an OC. There is too much that a NFL head coach has to pay attention to during a game to effectively be the play caller and HC. I would like to see him bring in one of his former mentors like Norv Turner to be the OC if possible. Next I think Rob Ryan is also a good DC and his defense suffered from injuries more than from a lack of coaching. I think an OC and improvement to the OL would be enough to push the Cowboys from mediocrity to a playoff team.

The Cowboys were essentually a single bad play by Romo away from being a playoff team this season. Even with all the injuries, bad owner, over-extended coach and piss-poor O-line. If we improve the O-line, get the defense healthy, get Garrett a good OC and go 13-3 next season and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, what would you expect to happen based on recent history? I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm simply saying it doesn't matter how great of a improvement we have on this team if Romo is going to throw 3 interceptions in the first elimination game........... the only difference will be that Romo blows it the first game of the playoffs instead of the week 17 game! But the end result is the same.

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
He figured out how to win 3 Super Bowls in the 90's but the league created rules to curb his way of doing business. He just hasn't figured out how to obtain and retain players as he did then. Jimmy Johnson was huge part in that run too.

Sville
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
The Cowboys were essentually a single bad play by Romo away from being a playoff team this season. Even with all the injuries, bad owner, over-extended coach and piss-poor O-line. If we improve the O-line, get the defense healthy, get Garrett a good OC and go 13-3 next season and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, what would you expect to happen based on recent history? I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm simply saying it doesn't matter how great of a improvement we have on this team if Romo is going to throw 3 interceptions in the first elimination game........... the only difference will be that Romo blows it the first game of the playoffs instead of the week 17 game! But the end result is the same.

There are many star athletes that you could say the same thing about. Elway didn't win the big one until his final two year, Lebron finally did it last year after how many years in the league? I believe Romo is good enough to win it all. Besides who are they going to replace him with? If you want to see just how good or bad he is just replace him this year with the best available free agent. The 'Boys would not even be a .500 club without Romo. There is not a Luck or RG3 to go after in the draft this year. If the Giants can win 2 with Eli, the Ravens with Dilfer, the Bucs with Brad Johnson,,,ect,,ect. Then the Cowboys can win one with Romo. He is definitely on par with those type of QBs.

buff4ever
01-03-2013, 04:48 PM
There are many star athletes that you could say the same thing about. Elway didn't win the big one until his final two year, Lebron finally did it last year after how many years in the league? I believe Romo is good enough to win it all. Besides who are they going to replace him with? If you want to see just how good or bad he is just replace him this year with the best available free agent. The 'Boys would not even be a .500 club without Romo. There is not a Luck or RG3 to go after in the draft this year. If the Giants can win 2 with Eli, the Ravens with Dilfer, the Bucs with Brad Johnson,,,ect,,ect. Then the Cowboys can win one with Romo. He is definitely on par with those type of QBs.

The cowboys don't treat Romo like those qbs were treated, and they don't address the team like those programs addressed their teams. If the approach is to acknowledge that ROMO isn't an elite qb, but we are going to win with him, then they need to change their ways.

bobcat1
01-03-2013, 08:05 PM
There are many star athletes that you could say the same thing about. Elway didn't win the big one until his final two year, Lebron finally did it last year after how many years in the league? I believe Romo is good enough to win it all. Besides who are they going to replace him with? If you want to see just how good or bad he is just replace him this year with the best available free agent. The 'Boys would not even be a .500 club without Romo. There is not a Luck or RG3 to go after in the draft this year. If the Giants can win 2 with Eli, the Ravens with Dilfer, the Bucs with Brad Johnson,,,ect,,ect. Then the Cowboys can win one with Romo. He is definitely on par with those type of QBs.I have to agree. If Dilfer can win one, Romo can. He just needs a team like the Ravens had around him.

regaleagle
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Personally, I'd like to hear what Bill Parcells' take is on this whole Cowboys organizational failure. I'd think his opinions would have a degree of merit since he has been there/done that with the Cowboys and may be able to shed some insight from his personal perspective on what would be the very best way to move this team forward from here.

Old Tiger
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
I have to agree. If Dilfer can win one, Romo can. He just needs a team like the Ravens had around him.

The game has changed a lot in the last 10 years though. Ravens won with their defense and Jamal Lewis running the ball.

GrTigers6
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
The Cowboys were essentually a single bad play by Romo away from being a playoff team this season. Even with all the injuries, bad owner, over-extended coach and piss-poor O-line. If we improve the O-line, get the defense healthy, get Garrett a good OC and go 13-3 next season and have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, what would you expect to happen based on recent history? I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm simply saying it doesn't matter how great of a improvement we have on this team if Romo is going to throw 3 interceptions in the first elimination game........... the only difference will be that Romo blows it the first game of the playoffs instead of the week 17 game! But the end result is the same.The problem with this theory is that Romo won a elimination game in 09. Then was demolished in the 2nd round by constant pressure. It is apparent to me that when he has protection and time to throw he does fine and when he gets pressured is when he hurries passes and throws off his back foot. Also leads to miscomunications with his recievers.
I think Romo will be that elite QB to go the distance with a good offensive line and a good running game at the same time! Only time will tell.

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

I agree Romo could win a superbowl if the stars align perfectly and they put a #1 defense on the field to hold other teams down. The thing about those QBs you mentioned was that although they weren't going to put the team on their shoulders and win it with heroics of their own they also didn't force their own team to overcome their own stupid mistakes. Romo does! Will that change in the future? Who can say for sure? There is a reason half the world says Romo will never win a title. I don't think many people ever thought that Brad Johnson, Eli Manning or Trent Dilfer were not capable of winning a superbowl. Eli Manning played a lot like Romo during the regular season and early in his career and people were starting to grumble. But he has stepped up big time many, many times and put his team on his shoulders in the playoffs. He proved his sterotype wrong. So why the different public sentiment for Romo? My opinion is because Romo has never proven it wrong and a lot of the legacy is a legacy that Romo has created for himself. It isn't some kind a false impression that somebody dreamed up one day and it went viral. People slowly developed their opinion of Tony Romo over a period of 7 seasons of watching him play the game. It took me 3 seasons. If Romo manages to win a Superbowl or even make a good showing in a long playoff run before he retires this legacy will probably be nullified. If he doesn't then it will certainly have been earned. And you mentioned John Elway. If Elway had not won his Superbowl he would be living with a legacy right now that would make Romo's seem trivial.

"If you want to see just how good or bad he is just replace him this year with the best available free agent"! Just for the sake of argument they replaced him for 2/3 of a season with a old man has-been that put together a career year with the same team Romo couldn't win with.
A lot of circumstances involved in this but the fact still remains Kitna's numbers were not much below Romo's numbers. I think there are probably 12 to 15 QB's in the NFL that could win 8 games or more with this team.

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 10:33 AM
The problem with this theory is that Romo won a elimination game in 09. Then was demolished in the 2nd round by constant pressure. It is apparent to me that when he has protection and time to throw he does fine and when he gets pressured is when he hurries passes and throws off his back foot. Also leads to miscomunications with his recievers.
I think Romo will be that elite QB to go the distance with a good offensive line and a good running game at the same time! Only time will tell.

I hope you are right. But I repeat that if they put together a really good O-line and good running game then there are a whole lot of QB's who could win it. The question is whether Romo can "win it" with what he has? Every single QB who has ever played the game can say they could have won the Superbowl if they had a better O-line, better Defense or better running game. The one's who do win it are the ones that get it done with what they have. Question: In the past decade how many Superbowl teams won it with a top ranked defense and a top ranked offense at the same time? Answer: ZERO! In fact only twice in the last 10 years has a team won the Superbowl with a top 10 ranked unit on both sides of the ball. Last year's Gaints #8 offense and #6 defense and the 09' Saints with the #1 offense and #8 defense. Every single other season in that decade the Cowboys have had a better offense or a better defense than the eventual Superbowl winner. Yet in Dallas we demand to "FIX" the weaknesses of the team so Romo can win. Fixing the weaknesses isn't really going to help. Every team pretty much has weaknesses. If Dallas patches a bunch of holes on the O-line then something else will suffer. If the defense is dominate the offense will be less so! If the offense is clicking on all cylinders the defense will struggle. Putting together a perfect team is a rare, rare event. Superbowl winning QB's win it with what they have. PERIOD!

GrTigers6
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
I hope you are right. But I repeat that if they put together a really good O-line and good running game then there are a whole lot of QB's who could win it. The question is whether Romo can "win it" with what he has? Every single QB who has ever played the game can say they could have won the Superbowl if they had a better O-line, better Defense or better running game. The one's who do win it are the ones that get it done with what they have. Question: In the past decade how many Superbowl teams won it with a top ranked defense and a top ranked offense at the same time? Answer: ZERO! In fact only twice in the last 10 years has a team won the Superbowl with a top 10 ranked unit on both sides of the ball. Last year's Gaints #8 offense and #6 defense and the 09' Saints with the #1 offense and #8 defense. Every single other season in that decade the Cowboys have had a better offense or a better defense than the eventual Superbowl winner. Yet in Dallas we demand to "FIX" the weaknesses of the team so Romo can win. Fixing the weaknesses isn't really going to help. Every team pretty much has weaknesses. If Dallas patches a bunch of holes on the O-line then something else will suffer. If the defense is dominate the offense will be less so! If the offense is clicking on all cylinders the defense will struggle. Putting together a perfect team is a rare, rare event. Superbowl winning QB's win it with what they have. PERIOD!

There is no QB in the league today that would have taken this years team to a superbowl. Some may have got closer but none would lead this team. Too many injuries and inconsistancy in the offensive due to that fact. Romo will surprise us, it may not be with the cowboys but I am willing to bet he makes it to the superbowl before he retires and as of that will be a Hall of Famer! MArk my words!:D

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
The problem with this theory is that Romo won a elimination game in 09. Then was demolished in the 2nd round by constant pressure. It is apparent to me that when he has protection and time to throw he does fine and when he gets pressured is when he hurries passes and throws off his back foot. Also leads to miscomunications with his recievers.

And FYI: Romo wasn't "demolished in the 2nd round by constant pressure! Romo was demolished in the second round by his lack of ability to handle the constant pressure. Drew Brees handled it perfectly the following week and went on to win the Superbowl. And before someone talks about the blocking for Brees here are the facts. That 09' Saints O-line was not much better than the Dallas O-line. The difference was how the QB's played the game.

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 10:51 AM
There is no QB in the league today that would have taken this years team to a superbowl. Some may have got closer but none would lead this team. Too many injuries and inconsistancy in the offensive due to that fact. Romo will surprise us, it may not be with the cowboys but I am willing to bet he makes it to the superbowl before he retires and as of that will be a Hall of Famer! MArk my words!:D

So a QB voted MOST OVERRATED by his peers will be a Hall of Famer? That is funny. But seriously, I hope you are right because that would mean Romo is going to have some really outstanding seasons to come in Dallas. Based on his history though he won't sniff a Superbowl and certainly wouldn't even get an invite to tour the Hall of Fame. In fact they won't even know how to spell Romo 5 years after he retires................

GrTigers6
01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
And FYI: Romo wasn't "demolished in the 2nd round by constant pressure! Romo was demolished in the second round by his lack of ability to handle the constant pressure. Drew Brees handled it perfectly the following week and went on to win the Superbowl. And before someone talks about the blocking for Brees here are the facts. That 09' Saints O-line was not much better than the Dallas O-line. The difference was how the QB's played the game.Thats what I meant!, My point was that he did manage to win an elimination game. So he could do it again. But also the D never showed up which didnt help either!

GrTigers6
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
So a QB voted MOST OVERRATED by his peers will be a Hall of Famer? That is funny. But seriously, I hope you are right because that would mean Romo is going to have some really outstanding seasons to come in Dallas. Based on his history though he won't sniff a Superbowl and certainly wouldn't even get an invite to tour the Hall of Fame. In fact they won't even know how to spell Romo 5 years after he retires................Most Analysts say that if Romo gets a SB Victory he would be a sure candidate because of his numbers! Do I agree? Not at the moment but it is a possibility if he ever figures out a way to overcome his faults.
He is the QB with the most 4000 yard seasons in Cowboys history!

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
And FYI: Romo wasn't "demolished in the 2nd round by constant pressure! Romo was demolished in the second round by his lack of ability to handle the constant pressure. Drew Brees handled it perfectly the following week and went on to win the Superbowl. And before someone talks about the blocking for Brees here are the facts. That 09' Saints O-line was not much better than the Dallas O-line. The difference was how the QB's played the game.

Romo was sacked 6 times..Brees 1 so I would say they did not really face the same pressure

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Most Analysts say that if Romo gets a SB Victory he would be a sure candidate because of his numbers! Do I agree? Not at the moment but it is a possibility if he ever figures out a way to overcome his faults.
He is the QB with the most 4000 yard seasons in Cowboys history!

It's a different game these days. There are dozens of QB's still playing or who have played in the past decade that blow away all the past Cowboy QB's stats. Yet not very many of them would even be in the same class. Romo would not rank in the top 5 of Cowboy QB's.

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Romo was sacked 6 times..Brees 1 so I would say they did not really face the same pressure

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010011700/2009/POST19/cowboys@vikings#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Watch the highlights TXB. Favre was under as much pressure from Dallas as Romo was in this game. At least until late when the Vikes got ahead and the feeding frenzy started. Brett made plays! Romo didn't! Watch the killer turnovers by Romo. Only 1 blindside sack occured that I remember. The rest were nothing more than Romo panicing and not standing in the pocket and delivering the ball. Watch Favre take hit after hit after hit right as he is delivering a strike to receivers down field. Watch Romo fumble, stumble and do nothing! And avoiding the pressure means you don't take sacks! Then go to the next weeks highlites and watch how Brees eats up that Vikings D-line every time they bull rushed him. They brought 6 guys on the Saints first possession and Brees dumps a 1 yard pass to the RB who goes 50 yards. The Vikings don't bring 6 rushers again in the entire game.

Farmersfan
01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201001...ghts&tab=recap

I watched this again and I'm even more pissed about Romo now. I had almost forgotten just how much Romo KILLED his team's chances at winning this game. First 2 possession were destroyed by Romo. first a fumble on a scramble when he had a wide open F. Jones 5' from him that he didn't see and then a fumbled snap that was in his hands. He then throws a really, really bad panic pass to Witten that should have been intercepted and got lucky that it bounced off his receiver right to another Cowboy receiver. Missed FG! For 3 quarters this game was pretty evenly played by everyone on the field except at the QB position. Romo got owned once again! This was a close game until the defense finally started falling apart and could no longer cover for Romo mistakes and gave up 17 in the 4th quarter.

Trashman
01-04-2013, 04:06 PM
:2thumbsup:clap:

Cam
01-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Well I read in the Weekly World News that Jessica Simpson would like to "sack" Tony's arse one more time and try and knock some football sense into him!......If anyone can, it's Jessica!....That woman looks like JJ Watt with a wig on........just kiddin'....I actually think Romo would do wonders if he had one of them Cowboy lines of the 90's.....Tuinea, Newton, Williams, Allen, & Stepnoski......

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201001...ghts&tab=recap

I watched this again and I'm even more pissed about Romo now. I had almost forgotten just how much Romo KILLED his team's chances at winning this game. First 2 possession were destroyed by Romo. first a fumble on a scramble when he had a wide open F. Jones 5' from him that he didn't see and then a fumbled snap that was in his hands. He then throws a really, really bad panic pass to Witten that should have been intercepted and got lucky that it bounced off his receiver right to another Cowboy receiver. Missed FG! For 3 quarters this game was pretty evenly played by everyone on the field except at the QB position. Romo got owned once again! This was a close game until the defense finally started falling apart and could no longer cover for Romo mistakes and gave up 17 in the 4th quarter.

So because he could not do what a maybe top 5-10 qb in the history of the league could do that day it means Romo should be gone?,,oh abd btw ole Brett threw on of the worst play off ints in the history of the game the very next week

Roughneck93
01-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Cowboys quietly looking for new OC??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/cowboys-quietly-looking-for-new-offensive-coordinator/