PDA

View Full Version : Question on UIL Realignment and Classification

stxfan
12-24-2012, 10:50 PM
As I understand it, every two years the UIL realigns and classifies schools based on an attendance figure on one particular day. And that particular day is known by all.

Given the opportunity to cheat by turning in a false number or by "encouraging" kids to stay home that day, or just the fact that one day's attendance is not representative of that school's true enrollment number, why wouldn't the UIL take an average daily attendance number instead of just a snapshot of one day?

Since schools get money based on attendance, there is great incentive, over a period of time, to keep students in school. But, a less than honest administration will easily forgo one day's attendance if it helps put the school in a lower classification. I just don't see how an average over a month, two months, or more, would not be a more accurate reflection of a school's true size.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

toddg
12-24-2012, 11:10 PM
As I understand it, every two years the UIL realigns and classifies schools based on an attendance figure on one particular day. And that particular day is known by all.

Given the opportunity to cheat by turning in a false number or by "encouraging" kids to stay home that day, or just the fact that one day's attendance is not representative of that school's true enrollment number, why wouldn't the UIL take an average daily attendance number instead of just a snapshot of one day?

Since schools get money based on attendance, there is great incentive, over a period of time, to keep students in school. But, a less than honest administration will easily forgo one day's attendance if it helps put the school in a lower classification. I just don't see how an average over a month, two months, or more, would not be a more accurate reflection of a school's true size.

What am I missing?

Thank you.

the way i understand it..they have the entire month of october to get the snapshot, and the school does not know the particular day beforehand

stxfan
12-24-2012, 11:32 PM
That may be true, toddg. But again, one day is not a true representation of a school's enrollment. With the stakes so high, why wouldn't the UIL do everything possible to ensure an accurate number? This can only be achieved by an average. And it seems it would be easy to do.

FB-fanatic
12-24-2012, 11:55 PM

Ville-D
12-25-2012, 12:04 AM
Our enrollment hasn't changed. The top end of 3A moved up. Get over it.

Lion70
12-25-2012, 05:36 AM
Just do watch stephenville and high land park does and you willl be just fine lol. Just kidding yall well kinda.

ronwx5x
12-25-2012, 07:07 AM

What am I missing?

Thank you.

I believe it is enrollment, not attendance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ccmom
12-25-2012, 08:43 AM
It's an enrollment figure, not attendance. "Encouraging kids to stay home that day", as you stated would be pointless because it doesn't change the enrollment number.

Ville-D
12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
ig·no·rant

/ˈignərənt/

Adjective

Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of UIL Rules".

Synonyms

illiterate - nescient - unlettered - unlearned

refereedoc
12-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Actually by Spring it was 985.

Ernest T Bass
12-25-2012, 11:46 AM
It's an enrollment figure, not attendance. "Encouraging kids to stay home that day", as you stated would be pointless because it doesn't change the enrollment number.

This.
Plus, administrators care a great deal more about money than athletics.

NastySlot
12-25-2012, 02:47 PM
think the numbers are turned into TEA and are used for funding.....UIL uses those numbers also I believe

NTFan
12-25-2012, 03:07 PM
It is the enrollment on the given day, not the attendance. If it were as easy as encouraging kids to stay home, everyone would be doing that. There are several things you can do to lower your number that you turn in (not counting students with multiple handicaps, not counting students of migrant workers, counting half day students as 1/2 a kid, etc).......But the numbers are usually pretty close to actual numbers.

Matthew328
12-25-2012, 05:21 PM
I do wish the UIL would use the PEIMS number...schools can't fudge on that # because it hurts funding