PDA

View Full Version : Czech Names at State Football Championships

Scoop27
12-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Ty Slanina and Josh Kopriva would call it “většina cennou”

Postby XOLDMAN » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:01 am
Jak se máš přátele’

The Czech, Slovak and Bohemia sectors of Texas were číslo jedna in Texas Class AA high school football for 2012.
A majority of players on the teams of East Bernard and Hallettsville were of Czech heritage. As were many of the players on the teams of Yoe, Rogers, Crawford, Karnes City, Lexington, Edna and even a school as for north as Mildred had a Czech playing quarterback.

If you used the Czech to English translation the East Bernard roster it would be a littler easer for most to read as exemplified in the next sentence. Number 7 is Kyle Head, 10 is Ty Bacon, 15 is Nathan Head, 25 is Jonathan Head and Yoe’s QB would be called Jason Nettles. However, most Czech surnames have no direct English translation and you would have to remember that a “j” is pronounced as a “y” and the “C” at the start of a name is silent. Well, it would be a start.

Numbers 76 (Josh Vincek) and 89 (Jacob Vincek) can brag that their grandfather’s meat market (Vincek’s Smokehouse) is one of the best in Texas. The boys from Hallettsville may claim that Glenn Dolezal’s Meat Market in Hallettsville is the best.

East Bernard thinks of Ty “Bacon” as an extremely fast Býk and TCU wishes to make him an extremely fast Býk žába.

All this Czech talk makes me hungry. I think I’ll travel west on Hwy. 90A and stop at Vincek’s Smokehouse and pick up a case of horké klobása and continue west on 90A and pick up a few dozen poppy seed kolaches at Hallettsville’s Kountry Bakery and take 90A over to Spoetzl Brewery gather up a few pouzdra of bock pivo and go to Shiner City Park and have a feast.

Veselé vánoce
“většina cennou” (Most Valuable)

CenTexSports
12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
You forgot Vrazel from Yoe that represents one of the top all time Polka Bands.

Yoe_09
12-25-2012, 06:10 PM

Indeed. Alfred Vrazel is my great uncle. Lots of Czech blood in Cameron.

Scoop27
12-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I know Alfred and Anton very well- Also his wife Bernice and their daughter Cindy-Vrazels played at our wedding dance in Hungerford back in 1998-I was going to their dances growing up as a kid in the mid 1960's

SintonFan
12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Sweet! Jak se mas!

Now if could only get some sni. ;)

speedbump
12-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Not to worry. He also left out about 8 or 10 Ricebirds too. Guess he hasn't heard they played in a state championship game.

gameface
12-27-2012, 08:41 AM
I noticed the Czech names when watching games on satellite TV!! Proud of those Czech boyz representing south Texas. LG was lead by Vinclarik at QB-did a fine job despite one and done 35-21 versus Ricebirds! Dobre Football talent in Texas-last 3 Heismans!

Rabid Cougar
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Indeed. Alfred Vrazel is my great uncle. Lots of Czech blood in Cameron.

Try half the team.

Šťastný Nový rok