PDA

View Full Version : Transfers to the bigger schools...

1st and goal
12-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Watching a bunch of the Fox SSW championship games, the announcers mentioned key players that were playing at other schools previously. Namely Allen but I wonder how many transfers on other teams and does anyone keep up with it?

I don't particularly like this as it creates dynasties and I like the "roll of the dice" crap shoot every year to keep things interesting for other teams. What happened to the comeraderie(sp?) of dancing with the team you learned to dance with? I also wonder how much these "traitor transfers" are ostricized by their former teammates??? I am guessing this happens more frequently in larger cities to get your kid to a better football school. Houston Lamar for example. I wonder how many transfers they have.

That being said, I do understand about getting your talent showcased at the big dance...

One more gripe, how do these kids have full beards and tattoos? Don't schools have any dress codes anymore? UIL could put a stop to this. Call me old school.

Thoughts?

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I know it happened big time back in the 80's (IE: Permian). I'm sure it still happens, and always will.

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 12:54 PM
One more gripe, how do these kids have full beards and tattoos? Don't schools have any dress codes anymore? UIL could put a stop to this. Call me old school.

Thoughts?

Yes, your old school like me. Just look at the college/pro teams today. Hair hanging past their shoulders. Tat's all over your body. It will only get worse at the HS level. If you can play, you can look however you want.

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 01:41 PM
tats are just more accepted now....at my company when I started 7 years ago you could not have a tat showing....about a year ago they changed it and said it was ok....personally I'm more worried about how a kid acts and behaves than how he looks..

toddg
12-24-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13991/389563_472379612822577_1145824435_n.jpg (http://www.smileyvault.com/)same holds true on how an Elf behaves too!!

coachc45
12-24-2012, 02:45 PM
t

The larger the school the less restrictive the dress codes become. When you are dealing with 2500+ at a high school, you find you have much more pressing things to worry about than the length of a kids hair or his facial hair.

Like Matt said, I am much more worried about how he acts than how he dresses..... what does the length of a man's hair, his facial hair, or tattoos have to do with a man's character? Answer: Nothing.

Manso/V8
12-24-2012, 04:35 PM
High school football is so important to some families, that it is normal that some would move to a particular area so their kids can be a part of a certain program. I know of people that moved to Katy from surrounding areas when their kids were in junior high so their kids could experience being part of the Katy Tiger football program. They are not being recruited to go there, but just like some people want their kids to go to schools with top notch academics, these people wanted their kids to be part of a top notch football program. We also get a few families moving to Bellville from the suburban areas because they want their kids to go to a smaller high school, and in part because here their kids can participate in sports. In a town like Katy, the chances of their kids getting playing time or even making the team are slim.

Buff42
12-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Goes all the way back to oil field company camp towns 100 years ago. Nothing new.

bobcat1
12-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Goes all the way back to oil field company camp towns 100 years ago. Nothing new.

Anyone remember Breckenridge?

Lion70
12-25-2012, 07:52 AM
well at Permian back in day. You could have a kid who is a beast. What happens we have a job opening as a assistant coach or we creted a job in the oli field where you just have to move to Odessa lol.

LHdog
12-25-2012, 10:08 AM
In recent years, both Lake Travis and Wimberley have benefited greatly from transfers ("move-ins").

Rabid Cougar
12-25-2012, 10:29 AM
South Lake Carrol, Lake Travis, Allen, Katy. It is even prevelent in smaller schools like Midway and Belton. Happens in baseball and basketball too. Anything that can get a kid into a bigtime D1 program, Momma and Daddy don't mind putting up with a longer commute to work.

If a school has a dress code and the kid can follow the dress code despite the cultural peer pressure---- that is character.

BwdLion73
12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
My son was rebellious in his youth in school and had that I'm different attitude.
He decided to have a regular hair cut and has no tattoos! :thumbsup:

1st and goal
12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm not saying that tats and beards don't judge the person, but they do make a statement, and books will always be judged initially by their covers. Some of my best friends and coworkers are all tatted up, but they had to wait until they were out of school.

It is a distraction in the classroom.

Emerson1
12-25-2012, 05:43 PM
How is it a distraction in the classroom?

That is just a catch all phrase administrators use to enforce their dumbass policies.

BwdLion73
12-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Beards and hair can be changed....tats....you bought it!

Phil C
12-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I remember in the late 70s when I lived in Portland, TX the great coach Ray Akins (Drew Brees' grandfather) required his players to have haircuts and proper dress. During the spring the players' would let their hair grow long like the other students but just a few days before the first August practices started the barber shops were busy with the players getting haircuts.

1st and goal
12-26-2012, 06:45 PM
How is it a distraction in the classroom?

That is just a catch all phrase administrators use to enforce their dumbass policies.

I take it you've never joined the military...they have a "dumbass" policy of SHAVING YOUR HEAD when you join. Just saying. Why does anyone need a beard or tattoo in high school?