PDA

View Full Version : the ville vs sota!!

TXfootballboi!
12-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Im trying to find that website that compares teams and "plays a game" if that makes any sense.. need help! Trying to compare the teams!

OldBison75
12-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Who cares. It won't happen for real and will just keep fueling a fire that should be extinguished now.

jacket98,99
12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
A game that could have happened in non-district, but did not. As far as why it didn't happen....well......that could be a thread by itself.

83Indian
12-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Adjustedstats.com

Sota 36
Ville 35

I'd still take ville. Didn't get to see enough of baker for sota to convince me they would score like they did against gilmer.

NastySlot
12-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Im trying to find that website that compares teams and "plays a game" if that makes any sense.. need help! Trying to compare the teams!

think it s lone star football network....ran it earlier.....neutral site clear weather.

i'd tell you the results but it s best left unanswered ....why take away from the State Champions,

Hint everyone is right be a good matchup-35-27 simulation score

FB-fanatic
12-22-2012, 10:19 PM
The two sources I use that analyze all the numbers are split - Adjustastats has Navasota by one on neutral site, while Maxpreps has S'ville ranked as #3 overall HS Football team in the state and Navasota at #11.

Just based on this, I would say that on any given day, it could be anyone's ballgame.

bp80884
12-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd just call it a tie.

Txbroadcaster
12-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Who cares. It won't happen for real and will just keep fueling a fire that should be extinguished now.

why should it be? That is the fun of it..debate something that cannot happen

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 12:43 PM
why should it be? That is the fun of it..debate something that cannot happen

I agree. That's what it's all about, debating amongst the elite teams, who would of beat whom. It's good for the game. People are still mentioning/comparing to the '83 Daingerfield team. Good for Texas HS Football IMO.

Old Tiger
12-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Navasota has superior athletes than Ville. Navasota would win by 10 in mock simulations inside my head.

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Navasota has superior athletes than Ville. Navasota would win by 10 in mock simulations inside my head.

OT, when you post something, I find my eye's wondering for some some reason.:crazy1:

toddg
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM

inside your head isnt very stable:vrycnfsd:

bobcat1
12-24-2012, 07:11 PM
OT, when you post something, I find my eye's wondering for some some reason.:crazy1:

I only wish that was in slow motion.

Saggy Aggie
12-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Adjustedstats.com

Sota 36
Ville 35

I'd still take ville. Didn't get to see enough of baker for sota to convince me they would score like they did against gilmer.

Well they put up pretty beast offensive numbers against every opponent all season long, including WOS, who had one of the best statistical defenses in the last decade. Baker lit them up like a Christmas tree...

Svilles defense was pretty weak all year long. Offense just outscored everyone.

Navasota has a similar offense but a much better defense.

Rattlers by 14.

waterboy
12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I spoke with my brother-in-law who is a coach, and saw Stephenville play. He told me that Navasota would beat the 'Ville similarly to what they did to Gilmer. Sorry, Stephenville, but I tend to agree. Yes, I believe the 'Ville would've scored a little more, but the end result would've been the same. On that particular day, under those particular circumstances, on the 21st day December, NOBODY in 3A would've stood a chance. That's just the way I see it.

toddg
12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
it amazes me how much folks underestimate the quality of athletes Stephenville has

Sville
12-26-2012, 12:59 PM
it amazes me how much folks underestimate the quality of athletes Stephenville has

It has always been that way. We are used to it and meanwhile we keep racking up playoff wins and state championships. 11 qtr. finals, 6 semi-final, and 5 state championships in the last 20 years is not too bad for the boys from Erath County.

vtskneb
12-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I spoke with my brother-in-law who is a coach, and saw Stephenville play. He told me that Navasota would beat the 'Ville similarly to what they did to Gilmer. Sorry, Stephenville, but I tend to agree. Yes, I believe the 'Ville would've scored a little more, but the end result would've been the same. On that particular day, under those particular circumstances, on the 21st day December, NOBODY in 3A would've stood a chance. That's just the way I see it.

Maybe that is true and maybe Gilmer typically looks like a salty team. I did not see them play expect for the state game. Gilmer reminded me of FWISD teams playing and they just relied on their players' being a better athlete than their opponents'. I was not really impressed with Gilmer's offensive game plan but when you can't run the ball that probably was the single most detrimental thing to lose in their game plan. After watching the game, Gilmer is not in the same area code offensively as Stephenville. Gilmer was unable to pass to help set up the run.

waterboy
12-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Maybe that is true and maybe Gilmer typically looks like a salty team. I did not see them play expect for the state game. Gilmer reminded me of FWISD teams playing and they just relied on their players' being a better athlete than their opponents'. I was not really impressed with Gilmer's offensive game plan but when you can't run the ball that probably was the single most detrimental thing to lose in their game plan. After watching the game, Gilmer is not in the same area code offensively as Stephenville. Gilmer was unable to pass to help set up the run.

Offensively, no, Gilmer was not as consistent as Stephenville. Defensively, was another story, not to mention we were young and small. I'm just calling like I see it, and many others I have spoken with have said the same thing. Navasota was "almost" as good offensively as Stephenville, but defensively they were in a different "area code" than Stephenville. Like I've always said, DEFENSE wins championships, and Navasota had the best defense in the state. Both are state champions, and we could debate this forever and not know how the matchup would go for sure, but I am satisfied to say that nobody in 3A was going to beat Navasota on December 21st, 2012. Nobody.

toddg
12-26-2012, 02:07 PM
i thought Gilmer's defensive gameplan was good, and would have worked if the defensive line would have protected the MLB much better..that inside counter killed Gilmer because the Rattlers didnt give up on it and their OLine cleared the gap very well and did it better as the game wore on..defensively Navasota controlled the gaps and just shut down the run, making it hard for Gilmer's controlled passing game to be effective..a lot of lessons learned by Gilmer that day, which will make them very good next year for sure!

vtskneb
12-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Offensively, no, Gilmer was not as consistent as Stephenville. Defensively, was another story, not to mention we were young and small. I'm just calling like I see it, and many others I have spoken with have said the same thing. Navasota was "almost" as good offensively as Stephenville, but defensively they were in a different "area code" than Stephenville. Like I've always said, DEFENSE wins championships, and Navasota had the best defense in the state. Both are state champions, and we could debate this forever and not know how the matchup would go for sure, but I am satisfied to say that nobody in 3A was going to beat Navasota on December 21st, 2012. Nobody.

No doubt Gilmer was young. We heard all about how our defense would be our down fall and that defense from East Texas would win out in the semis. Excuse me if East Texas folks cred has lost some luster this year. You can make your opinions known all you want but that does not make them fact. I talked to some coaches too who felt Stephenville was the superior team to Navasota. Who is right your guys or mine?

waterboy
12-26-2012, 04:17 PM
It really doesn't matter who's right, or who's wrong. The point is we will never "really" know for sure. Everybody has an opinion, and they are entitled to their opinion. Suffice it to say, BOTH are state champions and leave it at that. No disrespect intended, it is just my "opinion" that nobody would've beaten Navasota, and that's all it will ever be.......an "opinion". Sorry if it differs from yours.

By the way, this is the first year since '07 there wasn't a state champion from East Texas. We WILL be back next year to take at least one of those crowns back!;)

vtskneb
12-26-2012, 04:35 PM
It really doesn't matter who's right, or who's wrong. The point is we will never "really" know for sure. Everybody has an opinion, and they are entitled to their opinion. Suffice it to say, BOTH are state champions and leave it at that. No disrespect intended, it is just my "opinion" that nobody would've beaten Navasota, and that's all it will ever be.......an "opinion". Sorry if it differs from yours.

By the way, this is the first year since '07 there wasn't a state champion from East Texas. We WILL be back next year to take at least one of those crowns back!;)

No worries. I have no doubt Gilmer, Kilgore and Carthage will be back in the running for a shot to bring home the crown. All were loaded with underclassmen and will be a tough out for anyone. It will be a fun year next year and looking forward to watching it unfold. Hopefully we don't fall to the Mexicans again. I think that game more than any other gives people hesitation in saying Stephenville is or is not better than Navasota. Especially after seeing what HP and Aledo did to them.

waterboy
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
No worries. I have no doubt Gilmer, Kilgore and Carthage will be back in the running for a shot to bring home the crown. All were loaded with underclassmen and will be a tough out for anyone. It will be a fun year next year and looking forward to watching it unfold. Hopefully we don't fall to the Mexicans again. I think that game more than any other gives people hesitation in saying Stephenville is or is not better than Navasota. Especially after seeing what HP and Aledo did to them.

For what it's worth, that game has nothing to do with my opinion. Personally, I'm probably centering my opinion on the Kilgore game late in the season more than any other game. That's the closet "measurement" I can come up with. It doesn't matter, though. Both teams are state champions and should be extremely proud.

hollywood
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Don't forget Gilmer only put up 20 pts on Kilgore. Stephenville put up 42 and with rare interception thrown by T Jones in that game. It's all about matchups on that given day.

As a whole Stephenville had a superior offense and Navasota had a superior defense. Would be a very good game. Who would win? Who knows, right? Stephenville made less mistakes all season than Navasota. Stephenville executed more consistently on offense and credit the O-line for that. Stephenville had the best O-line and QB and WR's in 3A this year IMO. Defensively, I believe Stepehnville would have gotten 1-2 stops against Navasota and that would have been the biggest difference IMO. And that would put Stephenville a 7-14 pt favorite IMO.

That's all, carry on.

navscanmaster
12-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Hollywood.....you believe that Stephenville only getting one or two stops against Navasota would be the difference. In your opinion, then, are you thinking the Rattlers would not stop Stephenville on any drive on defense?

83Indian
12-26-2012, 11:22 PM
This is why I still think we need one state champ period.

To both sides, this game would be even money.

Both teams can point to common opponents once removed. Ville beats Kilgore by 10 and Gilmer beats Kilgore by 6 while sota beats gilmer by 36.

Sota beats Bellville by 17. El Campo beats Bellville by 21. Ville beats El campo by 35.

Both teams were challenged in the playoffs. Kilgore pulled within 3 points of ville late in the game. La marque was knocking on the door late on sota and if you watched the game film posted by 71coog, la marque could have won that game had they not committed those unnecessary turnovers. Bellville also challenged sota very strongly.

You can't point to a dominant sota defensive or offensive line as ville is as big and strong upfront as sota. It would be an epic battle. I don't think sota stops ville and jones as jones was playing lights out as the season ended. Ville would not stop sota either. It would be a slugfest in my opinion. It's just too bad we did not get to see this matchup.

Sota gets the #1 ranking as they went undefeated all year ranked #1.

I'd say Ville has the better offense mainly because of jones dual threat running and passing while sota has the overall better defense.

Manso/V8
12-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Take a look at the Div1 and Div2 championship games highlights on FSSW. Both Navasota and Stephenville execute well. Navasota appears to have much better speed. I think that would be the difference.

83Indian
12-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Take a look at the Div1 and Div2 championship games highlights on FSSW. Both Navasota and Stephenville execute well. Navasota appears to have much better speed. I think that would be the difference.

Overall team speed on defense goes to sota. Jones has the running ability of mercer from la marque and passing ability of baker. It's hard to cover all 5 ville targets and even if you do jones makes you pay running. And very few teams managed to get any pressure on jones with that huge offensive line. It would be a great game. I like the fact sota has a great defense and offense. Reminds me a lot of what we faced with chapel hill last year. Villes offense was better than both tho. Sota would run and pass on ville and get points as well. Too bad we can't see it tho.

HEMOTOXIC
12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
This is why I still think we need one state champ period.

To both sides, this game would be even money.

Both teams can point to common opponents once removed. Ville beats Kilgore by 10 and Gilmer beats Kilgore by 6 while sota beats gilmer by 36.

Sota beats Bellville by 17. El Campo beats Bellville by 21. Ville beats El campo by 35.

Both teams were challenged in the playoffs. Kilgore pulled within 3 points of ville late in the game. La marque was knocking on the door late on sota and if you watched the game film posted by 71coog, la marque could have won that game had they not committed those unnecessary turnovers. Bellville also challenged sota very strongly.

You can't point to a dominant sota defensive or offensive line as ville is as big and strong upfront as sota. It would be an epic battle. I don't think sota stops ville and jones as jones was playing lights out as the season ended. Ville would not stop sota either. It would be a slugfest in my opinion. It's just too bad we did not get to see this matchup.

Sota gets the #1 ranking as they went undefeated all year ranked #1.

I'd say Ville has the better offense mainly because of jones dual threat running and passing while sota has the overall better defense.

In the Navasota vs La Marque game, the highlites don't show the score. Navasota was up 24-6 in the third quarter. You are correct, La Marque had the opportunity to cut the lead to 24-20 with the score being 24-13 Navasota in the 3rd. However, Navasota did what good teams should do and protected their lead. At the start of the 4th, Navasota was up 31-13. La Marque scored with 7 minutes to go in the game to cut the score to 31-20 Rattlers. The Cougars did get a stop on defense, drove down inside the Rattler 10 before Navasota caused a fumble. Had they scored, the score would have been 31-26, 31-27, or 31-28. The could'ves, would'ves, should'ves..

Just like La Marque had missed opportunites, etc, so did Navasota. That's the way of the game. Always has been and always will be.

I would say this, had La Marque won, IMO, no one else would have beaten the Cougars.

And, I know this is fun and all to speculate who would win between Navasota vs Stephenville. However, most in Navasota don't really care. We are just very humbled to be the division II 3A champs. Losing 5 consecutive years in the quarterfinals will definitely make you realize not to take anything for granted.

Rabid Cougar
12-27-2012, 02:10 PM
I put my old Tudor Electric Football game to the test. Navasota took it on a late TD pass 21-14. Navasota won because they were in the Dallas Cowboys unis. These were the late 70's Cowboys by the way.

HEMOTOXIC
12-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I put my old Tudor Electric Football game to the test. Navasota took it on a late TD pass 21-14. Navasota won because they were in the Dallas Cowboys unis. These were the late 70's Cowboys by the way.

:clap:

83Indian
12-27-2012, 03:00 PM
In the Navasota vs La Marque game, the highlites don't show the score. Navasota was up 24-6 in the third quarter. You are correct, La Marque had the opportunity to cut the lead to 24-20 with the score being 24-13 Navasota in the 3rd. However, Navasota did what good teams should do and protected their lead. At the start of the 4th, Navasota was up 31-13. La Marque scored with 7 minutes to go in the game to cut the score to 31-20 Rattlers. The Cougars did get a stop on defense, drove down inside the Rattler 10 before Navasota caused a fumble. Had they scored, the score would have been 31-26, 31-27, or 31-28. The could'ves, would'ves, should'ves..

Just like La Marque had missed opportunites, etc, so did Navasota. That's the way of the game. Always has been and always will be.

I would say this, had La Marque won, IMO, no one else would have beaten the Cougars.

And, I know this is fun and all to speculate who would win between Navasota vs Stephenville. However, most in Navasota don't really care. We are just very humbled to be the division II 3A champs. Losing 5 consecutive years in the quarterfinals will definitely make you realize not to take anything for granted.

Lets not gloss over the two botched punt snaps, one inside the 30 and one in the endzone that was recovered for a TD and both resulted in tds for Sota. Plus the goal line stance where lamargue jumps offsides on the 1 yard line. Come on man, the game was close, real close. i agree that Lamarque was up there at the top of all teams towards the end of the year.

GrTigers6
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Navasota and Stephenville are very similiar teams. Sota having a very good defense, Stephenville with a very good Offense.
The edge would come with the fact that Navasota's Offense is better than Stephenvilles Defense which could cause problems. I think Stephenville would struggle on defense but would be able to hang in the game on offense. I think Stephenvilles offense is that good. They would have to figure out how to block #68 however!
It would have been an amazing game to say the least and I honestly have no idea how it would turn out.

Manso/V8
12-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Lets not gloss over the two botched punt snaps, one inside the 30 and one in the endzone that was recovered for a TD and both resulted in tds for Sota. Plus the goal line stance where lamargue jumps offsides on the 1 yard line. Come on man, the game was close, real close. i agree that Lamarque was up there at the top of all teams towards the end of the year.

Special teams, turnovers, mistakes by players, mistakes by coaches, and the ability reduce the impact of your own team's mistakes and capitalize on the mistakes of your opponents are all part of winning big games. LaMarque did have a bad punt snap in the endzone, that was a mistake, but so was being in that position. If the punter had knocked it out of the back of the endzone it would have been a safety instead of a TD for Navasota. That was the punter's mistake. Bellville put up a good fight against a more talented Navasota but made too many mistakes to win. We had untimely penalties, missed blocks, an untimely TO call, maybe some incorrect play calling at the wrong time, and a couple of major lapses on special teams to come away with the W. Those were our mistakes and we own those mistakes. All those things count and they seem to happen more often the better your opponent is and in bigger games.

The point is, no matter what other late playoff round teams tried, LaMarque, WOS, or Bellville, the Rattlers responded and overcame. It doesn't matter if their LaMarque or any other game was close, or could have had a smaller point differential.......Navasota went 16-0 this year and are the champions.

OldBison75
12-27-2012, 03:58 PM
It does nothing to argue the points and opinions of anybody on what MIGHT have happened. Thanks to Taylor and Madisonville, the game was never even given a chance to be played. I, like almost everybody in Navasota, am so happy to be Division 2 State Champions. I really don't want to even think about what would happen in an imaginary game.

To the Stephenville people out there, you are the undisputed champs of Division 1. I would love to see a game between us, not to prove who was best as much as because I think it would be one of the best high school games this year. I will not even predict an outcome or score, because both teams are very strong and I believe it would all come down to who executed on every play. One little mistake or even a missed tackle might be the game changer.

No one from Navasota is taking the Championship from Stephenville, in real competition or in these fantasy games in our heads. Both teams have earned the title they have and are satisfied and proud of the kids and coaching staffs. I am already thinking about what next year might bring and could care less about any other challenges for this year's Rattler team.

vtskneb
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Is there any scenario where Navasota goes small school next year?

83Indian
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Special teams, turnovers, mistakes by players, mistakes by coaches, and the ability reduce the impact of your own team's mistakes and capitalize on the mistakes of your opponents are all part of winning big games. LaMarque did have a bad punt snap in the endzone, that was a mistake, but so was being in that position. If the punter had knocked it out of the back of the endzone it would have been a safety instead of a TD for Navasota. That was the punter's mistake. Bellville put up a good fight against a more talented Navasota but made too many mistakes to win. We had untimely penalties, missed blocks, an untimely TO call, maybe some incorrect play calling at the wrong time, and a couple of major lapses on special teams to come away with the W. Those were our mistakes and we own those mistakes. All those things count and they seem to happen more often the better your opponent is and in bigger games.

The point is, no matter what other late playoff round teams tried, LaMarque, WOS, or Bellville, the Rattlers responded and overcame. It doesn't matter if their LaMarque or any other game was close, or could have had a smaller point differential.......Navasota went 16-0 this year and are the champions.

Absolutely. My point was that there were several teams that challenged Sota and Ville. For either team to think they are better than the other or has a deciding advantage is kidding themselves.

vtskneb
12-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Both teams are state champs! The rest is just to keep us from going insane thinking about how long it is until next season.

OldBison75
12-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Navasota is the second largest school in our district. If Taylor makes the playoffs, Navasota is small school under this alignment. Now, in 2014, if they split divisions, Navasota will be a large school in most any district they choose to put us in.

HEMOTOXIC
12-27-2012, 06:15 PM

Don't get me wrong, by no means am I overlooking those bad snaps... or the 2 goal line stands for the Rattler defense... But, there were things that Navasota did or didn't do that put Navasota in those situations. I will not take anything away from La Marque. Neither team played their A game.

hollywood
12-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Oldbison is correct in stating that no one is trying to take credit away from either team in that both are State Champions. Is it fun to think, dream, debate on who would win if both were to play? Heck yeah! Will it happen this year? Nope.

I will say that Navasota's D-line would have had their hands full with Stephenville's O-line. One of the best in the state IMO. #68 for Navasota would have been challenged against #64 for Stephenville no question. Stephenville has one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the state. It is very intense and preps the players to endure full contact for 48 minutes of a football game. That's where Stephenville excels over most 3A programs.

Again, congrats to a very good Navasota team on their long awaited and deserved State Championship.

vtskneb
12-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Navasota is the second largest school in our district. If Taylor makes the playoffs, Navasota is small school under this alignment. Now, in 2014, if they split divisions, Navasota will be a large school in most any district they choose to put us in.

4 teams make the playoffs in 2013.

toddg
12-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I put my old Tudor Electric Football game to the test. Navasota took it on a late TD pass 21-14. Navasota won because they were in the Dallas Cowboys unis. These were the late 70's Cowboys by the way. the jackets in the pittsburg steeler unis? i guess you didnt let the jackie harris figurine play LOL!