PDA

View Full Version : Proposed 2013 Championship Schedule

Matthew328
12-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Talking to folks today in the pressbox the smart money says the title games are back at Cowboys next year....with 3A adding a 4th playoff team 3A Div. I moves to the big weekend but a logistical problem is posed because you'll have to squeeze ten games into 3 days..

Thursday
1A Division I 10am
1A Division II 1:30pm
2A Division I 5pm
2A Division II 8:30pm

Friday
3A Division I Noon
3A Division II 4pm
4A Division I 8pm

Saturday
4A Division II Noon
5A Division I 4pm
5A Division II 8pm

Yoe_09
12-22-2012, 02:04 AM
10 AM is a little early, but you have to do something, and this would be the most logical choice IMO.

SHSBulldog00
12-22-2012, 11:31 AM
You could do it that way or have 4 on Saturday.

Eagle 1
12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Why does 1A have to play on Thursday?

vtskneb
12-22-2012, 12:16 PM
They won't have as large of a crowd as the bigger schools nor will they generate as much walkup traffic.

CenTexSports
12-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Point of order:

Wouldn't it be safe to say that there will be no 1A games on Thursday? 2A & 3A on Thursday. 4A & (1) 5A on Friday and (1) 5A and both 6A on Saturday

Matthew328
12-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Charles Breithupt just confirmed to Carl Padilla

1A D1 10am
1A D2 1pm
2A D2 4pm
2A D1 8pm

in 2014 it'll be 2A up to 6A

Matthew328
12-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Why does 1A have to play on Thursday?

Why wouldn't they play on Thur?

Eagle 1
12-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Why wouldn't they play on Thur?

Still nobody answered the question.

NTFan
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
10 AM is a little early, but you have to do something, and this would be the most logical choice IMO.

I can tell you from experience.......if you are playing in the state championship game at Cowboy Stadium the Friday before Christmas, no one cares what time they play. Play it at 8am. Who cares? You can't play a Friday or Saturday semi-final and come back to play a game on Wednesday, so Thursday am it is........

vtskneb
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Still nobody answered the question.

Yes I did. They do as they are told just like the rest of the members in the UIL.

regaleagle
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
I guess you just go with whatever the schedule is, and be happy you are in the SC title game, whatever time it is, lol.

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 08:13 AM
It makes logical sense to have the small school games be packed in w/the 4 pack on Thursday...smaller crowds easier to move in and out on a quick turnaround etc....it's much harder do that for the big schools...when the small schools threw a fit about not being at Cowboys two years ago, part of the understanding was they'd have to get the Thursday slot...they were OK with that because it still put them at Cowboys and gave them access to the bigger gate...

My guess is 70% the games return to Cowboys in 2013

Sweetwater Red
12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
My guess is 70% the games return to Cowboys in 2013

I hope your guess is right. Although driving to San Antonio is no problem either and I actually like the Alamodome (which seems to put me in the minority on this board). But, if it's in Houston then I've got a plane ticket to buy. lol

SHSBulldog00
12-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Charles Breithupt just confirmed to Carl Padilla

1A D1 10am
1A D2 1pm
2A D2 4pm
2A D1 8pm

in 2014 it'll be 2A up to 6A

Glad that it has been confirmed by Breithupt, but won't the Division 2 games be at 10 and 4 and the Division 1 games be at 1 and 8?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
My question is, when will championship games be played at more central locations like Austin or San Antonio?

To hell with Jerry World, I'd rather play at DKR @ UT.

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 12:30 PM
You'll not see an outside state championship played (other than 6-man) for decades IMO. UIL listed the 3 guidelines needed to host the finals:

1. 4 locker rooms
2. Field turf field
3. Climate control (dome) stadiums

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
No Division II was first this year, it switches next year...Division I goes first

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
My question is, when will championship games be played at more central locations like Austin or San Antonio?

To hell with Jerry World, I'd rather play at DKR @ UT.

It'll never be at Austin...in addition to being outdoors parking is HORRIBLE there...plus they don't have the locker room space...

Alamodome has issues with locker rooms as well...the city of San Antonio needs to pony up and put some money into that place if they want to host...Jerry World is best football stadium in the world, throw in the fact HS Football is important to the Cowboys organization, the UIL and teams are treated extremely well its easy to see why the UIL likes it so much

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 01:46 PM
It'll never be at Austin...in addition to being outdoors parking is HORRIBLE there...plus they don't have the locker room space...

Alamodome has issues with locker rooms as well...the city of San Antonio needs to pony up and put some money into that place if they want to host...Jerry World is best football stadium in the world, throw in the fact HS Football is important to the Cowboys organization, the UIL and teams are treated extremely well its easy to see why the UIL likes it so much

I agree. Hard to beat Cowboy Stadium, when you have a owner (Jerry Jones) that really wants to host the events. Yes, he treats the UIL/schools very well. Also concur, Alamodome will have to make some major upgrades to ever host the finals again.

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 01:54 PM
I think Reliant could be in the mix but they are going to have to do a big sales job....the schools and the UIL was not happy with how they were treated the one time they hosted

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
I do see a year coming, when both (Cowboy and Reliant Stadiums) will host state games, in the same year. This would eliminate the odd start time for some schools when you have to play 4 games a day, when one site host's all the finals. Plus, you can prevent Thursday final games I think. This would allow more fan's from a school in the finals, to attend.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok hypothetical. What if a team from the RGV makes it. Lets say Port Isabel for the sake of argument. It's at least a 9.5 hour drive from PI to DFW and even longer by bus. And say we end up playing Celina in the final. Damn! Might as well play the damn game AT Celina, hand them the trophy, and have an immediate parade afterward!

I know some of the bigger jerks in the forum will say something along the lines of " RGV? Won't happen!" But what if it does happen? I would have ZERO complaints if the game were in SA, Austin, or Houston. But by having the games in Arlington, that gives any DFW area team that makes it to the Championship round a HUGE advantage even before the games are played.

Think of it this way. How would you feel if you were FORCED to play your championship games in Brownsville? You probably wouldn't like that very much, would you?

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Ok hypothetical. What if a team from the RGV makes it. Lets say Port Isabel for the sake of argument. It's at least a 9.5 hour drive from PI to DFW and even longer by bus. And say we end up playing Celina in the final. Damn! Might as well play the damn game AT Celina, hand them the trophy, and have an immediate parade afterward!

I know some of the bigger jerks in the forum will say something along the lines of " RGV? Won't happen!" But what if it does happen? I would have ZERO complaints if the game were in SA, Austin, or Houston. But by having the games in Arlington, that gives any DFW area team that makes it to the Championship round a HUGE advantage even before the games are played.

Think of it this way. How would you feel if you were FORCED to play your championship games in Brownsville? You probably wouldn't like that very much, would you?

Its done in other sports, why not football? Was it fair for Cedar Hill and DeSoto to play a state championship basketball game in Austin?

Homefield advantage at Cowboys is WAAAYYYYY overblown, the results speak for themselves...

2010: Lake Travis beat Denton Ryan
2010: Cibolo Steele beat Denton Guyer
2010: Pearland beat Trinity
2011: Wimberley beat Argyle
2012: East Bernard beat Corsicana Mildred
2012: Cedar Park beat Lancaster
2012: Katy beat Cedar Hill

If Brownsville had the best football stadium in the world I wouldn't have a problem with it..I'd be there

Matthew328
12-24-2012, 02:27 PM
I do see a year coming, when both (Cowboy and Reliant Stadiums) will host state games, in the same year. This would eliminate the odd start time for some schools when you have to play 4 games a day, when one site host's all the finals. Plus, you can prevent Thursday final games I think. This would allow more fan's from a school in the finals, to attend.

I dont see it ever happening, UIL loses money on sponsorships, TV deals and their job gets harder because they've got to split staff working. UIL's not going to lose money AND make their job tougher

YTBulldogs
12-24-2012, 02:52 PM

I'm sure PI would be more than happy to make that long haul to play the state game in Dallas. Yes, it happens in every level of football. Super bowl hosted in NO one year, what if the Saints made it? NCAA, National Championship game might be the Rose Bowl, and USC play's in it. I think it's more advantage in college and pro's, when it happens, than at the HS level.

Yoe_09
12-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I would personally like to see Reliant get into the mix. A rotation would be nice.