PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn recruiting class

Scoop27
12-18-2012, 06:59 PM
he Longhorns are still trying to piece together their 2013 recruiting class, as National Signing Day is now only two months away. Unlike most years, this season Texas has a handful of spots left and is continuing to evaluate many options. Hookem.com caught up with some prospects that have been on the Horns’ radar as of late, and some that have been previously, to get the latest on where things stand.
Kyle Fulks at Katy

Baylor commit Kyle Fulks was recently visited by Major Applewhite, but no specifics of an offer were discussed.

Two needs for this class are both wide receiver and defensive back. That’s why it should come as no surprise that the Longhorns recently checked in on Katy athlete Kyle Fulks, who is currently committed to Baylor.

“Texas stopped by my school last week,” explained Fulks. “It was last Monday I think. One of their assistant coaches, Coach (Major) Applewhite, was the one who dropped in to see me.”

Last week’s visit wasn’t the first for Applewhite, however.

“He actually came to one of our practices the week before last week,” Fulks said. “Then he came back again this past week and talked to me and my coaches. He said that they really like my speed, skills and that type of stuff.”

Applewhite didn’t get into too many specifics with Fulks. He’s still not exactly sure just how much interest Texas has in him, nor what position they would recruit him as.

“He didn’t talk about positions or say anything like that,” said Fulks. “Baylor is recruiting me as an athlete, but I don’t know what Texas would want. He also didn’t say if he would be back or anything, so we’ll see.”

As for his interest in Texas, the current Baylor commitment didn’t want to get into too many specifics and declined to comment, but did have one positive thing to say about the Horns.

“I think Texas is a good school,” Fulks told Hookem.com
Edwin Mims at Daingerfield

Edwin Mims says he'd commit to Texas on the spot if the Longhorns offered him a scholarship.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound Katy prospect is currently ranked a four-star prospect, with a rating of 90. He committed to Baylor back in April, but also received interest from schools such as LSU, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Missouri, Colorado and Houston.

Daingerfield wide receiver Edwin Mims is another prospect who Texas recently visited. Much like Fulks, the 5-foot-9, 180-pounder saw the Horns coaching staff stop by to get a closer look at him. Although this time it was Stacy Searels who stopped by to see Mims in action in his playoff game this past Friday night.

“I didn’t know he was coming,” Mims told Hookem.com. “He was just at my game Friday and one of my coaches told me he was there to see me. Apparently he had heard a lot about me. I don’t know how interested they are in me or anything though. My coach said we will discuss it after this week, after we play for the state championship.”

Mims, a Class 2A second-team all-state selection, has heard from a handful of other schools, but up until now, no one as big as Texas.

“I’ve had a few other schools recruiting me,” Mims explained. “Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Central Arkansas and Oregon State were the main ones. And now Texas I guess.”

He says that he was ecstatic to hear that the Longhorns had interest in him and was quick to add that Texas easily stands out above the rest.

“I’ve always liked the Longhorns,” said Mims. “Every kid who grows up in this state wants to play for the Texas Longhorns. So obviously, growing up, they were one of my favorite teams.”

Macarthur
12-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Interesting stuff there. So UT is stealing folks from baylor and UL Monroe?