PDA

View Full Version : Best 3A teams of all time?

big daddy russ
12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Maybe a little premature with the DII championship this weekend, but that's OK.

The conversation on that Stephenville thread made me want to open this back up. I haven't seen any of the recent great teams--Henderson, Stephenville, Brownwood, Gilmer, Carthage, etc. How would you rank them compared to the teams that have come through in the past?

big daddy russ
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM
BTW, as far as I can remember I'd put 2001 Everman at the top of my list. Teams I've personally seen that I'd include in the discussion include 1995 Cuero and Sealy, Burnet circa 2003 (the one that had the Miller kid at RB along with the great WR/DB on the other side of Shipley, TE, LB, and an offensive line that looked college-sized to complement McGee and Shipley), 2001 Forney and Sinton, and Gilmer circa 2004 (can't remember which year exactly--Manuel Johnson was the QB that year).

I'm sure the SLC teams of the early-90's, the Vernon team that lost to them, and the Robert Strait-led Cuero team belong in the discussion as well.

jlwttu
12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Don't forget the 1983 Daingerfield team. 16 games...8 points allowed.

lbjacj
12-16-2012, 05:40 PM

No question!!

Old Tiger
12-16-2012, 05:42 PM
No question!!
2009 Brownwood

vtskneb
12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
2009 Brownwood

I know it was intentional that you missed the year but why that one? their 2003 team would have beaten their 2010 team.

Aggie98
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
'83 Daingerfield is the GOAT.

toddg
12-16-2012, 06:06 PM
'88,'92,'93 southlake carroll....all three had great defense to go with excellent run games..flex bone was the chiznit!!

toddg
12-16-2012, 06:07 PM
'83 daingerfield is the goat. agreed!!!

Sville
12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
I did not see the 2001 Everman team in person. The best Everman team I have ever seen was their 2008 squad that lost in the 4A semis. I would like to hear Stepps opinion.

The best Stephenville team without question was the 1994 team. They had 13 players on that team that played D1 or D2 football. They were a once in a program type of team. FWIW offensively this years Sville team avg. 46 points per game more than any team in Sville history and the 649 points they scored in 14 games were bested by only two Sville teams, '94 and '98 who both played 16 games. This years team was amazing in the playoffs averaging 56.6 points a game with an avg margin of victory of 27.4. It is hard to argue just how dominant of a playoff run the 2012 Jackets had. IMO concerning Jacket football this team was every bit as talented as the '98 and '99 title teams.

cowboyandchrist
12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Maybe a little premature with the DII championship this weekend, but that's OK.

The conversation on that Stephenville thread made me want to open this back up. I haven't seen any of the recent great teams--Henderson, Stephenville, Brownwood, Gilmer, Carthage, etc. How would you rank them compared to the teams that have come through in the past?

Let me help put this question to rest, the 83 Daingerfield tigers had 560 plays run against the Defense IN 16 games for a grand total of 560 FEET not yards but feet. 2 points scored on them when 4a Kilgore got a safety when the ball was snapped over the Dainfield punters head and 6 points scored by 4A simifinalist Carthage when a tipped ball by the Daingerfield D was caught and ran in for the TD. I believe it was the quarter finals, the team the Tigers were playing had two backs with just over a thousand each. At the end of the game, they were both under a thousand for the year, both were minus yards rushing for the game. Every other team in history or the present is in 2nd place.

cowboyandchrist
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't know how the 2005 Tatum team stacks up, but they had 9 players go D1 and 4 of those players went to the NFL.

Saggy Aggie
12-16-2012, 07:34 PM
I thought 05 wimberley and 09 Gilmer were pretty beast

bobcat1
12-16-2012, 08:34 PM
2007 Celina and 2006 and 2007 Liberty Hill were pretty salty for modern era teams. 2008 Carthage was a beast of a team too.

slingshot
12-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I talked with a friend of mine that played on the '98-99 S'ville teams... He placed the 2012 team behind the 1993 and the '98-99 teams. Said this year's team was very good but did not play the level of competition they did and felt the '90s teams had better defenses. I could not say because I did not see the earlier teams play... but I did see this year's and they were VERY good.

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2012, 09:07 PM
'83 Daingerfield Best Team EVER. End of Discussion

hollywood
12-16-2012, 09:25 PM

I was too young and parents weren't really into HS football in 1983, so I didn't get to see Dangerfield. But how would they have done against an explosive spread team that had a great O-line and solid receivers and RB's? Lake Travis, Southlake Carroll, Stephenville type teams. It's all subjective and debatable I know, would be an interesting discussion.

BTW, Brownwood 2010 was one of the best teams I've seen. Stephenville 2012, the best I've seen in a long long time. Offense, unstoppable... QB, WR's, RB, O-line, D-line, DE's, DB's.. All more talented as a whole IMO. Only edge Brownwood 2010 had was LB's.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 09:27 PM
I didn't get a chance to see the mentioned teams expecpt for the 2007 Liberty Hill team. They were something special and fun to watch.

hollywood
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I talked with a friend of mine that played on the '98-99 S'ville teams... He placed the 2012 team behind the 1993 and the '98-99 teams. Said this year's team was very good but did not play the level of competition they did and felt the '90s teams had better defenses. I could not say because I did not see the earlier teams play... but I did see this year's and they were VERY good.

Better defense doesn't mean better team. If you have an unstoppable offense, it's better than a great defense and great offense combined. An unstoppable offense is the best defense.

BwdLion73
12-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Better defense doesn't mean better team. If you have an unstoppable offense, it's better than a great defense and great offense combined. An unstoppable offense is the best defense.

There's a statement that should take us through the spring and summer to next season. :doh:

toddg
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I was too young and parents weren't really into HS football in 1983, so I didn't get to see Dangerfield. But how would they have done against an explosive spread team that had a great O-line and solid receivers and RB's? Lake Travis, Southlake Carroll, Stephenville type teams. It's all subjective and debatable I know, would be an interesting discussion.

BTW, Brownwood 2010 was one of the best teams I've seen. Stephenville 2012, the best I've seen in a long long time. Offense, unstoppable... QB, WR's, RB, O-line, D-line, DE's, DB's.. All more talented as a whole IMO. Only edge Brownwood 2010 had was LB's.

i saw 83' Daingerfield...that defense was scary real

Aggie98
12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
i saw 83' Daingerfield...that defense was scary real

They're offense wasn't anything to sneeze at. I believe they averaged about 42 points per game. Defense pitched 14 shutouts.

hollywood
12-16-2012, 10:38 PM
They're offense wasn't anything to sneeze at. I believe they averaged about 42 points per game. Defense pitched 14 shutouts.

Any footage on this juggernaut?

toddg
12-16-2012, 10:46 PM

http://youtu.be/s9owTM9SyH0

SintonFan
12-16-2012, 10:49 PM
'83 Daingerfield Best Team EVER. End of Discussion

Easily agreeable!

hollywood
12-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Talent looks very similar to Gilmer, Kikgore, Henderson teams of modern era. I think Dangerfield 1983 was ahead of their times. Very good team!!!

oldtownag
12-17-2012, 09:32 AM
BTW, Brownwood 2010 was one of the best teams I've seen.

That was about the 2nd best team I saw in 2010! ;)

This years Stephenville team was very good no doubt about that.
Great QB and receivers were very good. Decent size O and D line that worked as a unit to get it done. But they gave up way to many points and couldn't stop the run. There are no future NFL type players other than possibly Jones.
Gunter is great but does not have the elite speed for a receiver and not the size for TE.
We had weaknesses on the field on D that didn't get exploited. It was a great team for sure but not ALL TIME GREAT TEAM FOR TEXAS FOOTBALL. One of the best Stephenville has had but not best in Texas. In order to be in that group you gotta be loaded down with D1 and future NFL PLAYERS. Like mentioned in previous post.

Rabid Cougar
12-17-2012, 01:01 PM
No love for Sealy and 4 in a row, '94 thru '97 ? No team has ever done that regardless of classification.

SHSBulldog00
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
No love for Sealy and 4 in a row, '94 thru '97 ? No team has ever done that regardless of classification.

I agree Sealy does need to be recognized for their accomplishment.

sTxforlife
12-17-2012, 01:08 PM
I agree Sealy does need to be recognized for their accomplishment.
Those teams were scary good, not extremely flashy or loaded with great size but the players were gritty and knew how to get the job done, great defenses along with pretty good offenses. 63-1 over 4 years and 4 straight state championships speaks for itself.

garciap77
12-17-2012, 01:15 PM

:ditto:

NTFan
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM

correction:

Celina(2A) did it in 1998-2001......I also believe Abilene or Wichita Falls did it once also.

Aggie98
12-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Didn't Lake Travis win 5 in a row?

coachc45
12-17-2012, 01:58 PM

The original post said best team..... The Sealy Juggernaut was 4 different teams....

1983 Daingerfield is the best 3A squad ever, end of discussion. No team will ever touch them. People ask how they would've done against today's spread offenses..... all 4 secondary kids went D1 and won the 4x400 relay at state that year!

vtskneb
12-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Didn't Lake Travis win 5 in a row?

Yes.

hollywood
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
The original post said best team..... The Sealy Juggernaut was 4 different teams....

1983 Daingerfield is the best 3A squad ever, end of discussion. No team will ever touch them. People ask how they would've done against today's spread offenses..... all 4 secondary kids went D1 and won the 4x400 relay at state that year!

1. Understanding that the Dangerfield 1983 team is slated as being the best 3A team ever is formidable considering the results, stats, and success those players had during the season and at the next level.

My question was how would that team compete in this era. Only reason I even entertain this debate is that in 1983, the level of competition and caliber of teams weren't the same as they are now. The number of great athletes playing HS football in 1983 isn't near the number that are playing in this era across the board. Would anyone else agree? By no means am I discrediting the 1983 team, because they were outstanding. But, the number of schools and the caliber of HS football has evolved over the last 30 years due to the caliber of college teams and pro teams driving the interest in kids being successful at the next level. Dangerfield 1983 looked to be the caliber of some of the 3A teams of this era. There's just more teams that are great and provide challenges in all aspects. Call me naive, but they looked a lot like the Gilmer's, Kilgore's, Carthage's, Everman's, La Marque's, etc. The Southlake Carroll's, Lake Travis's, Stephenville's, of this era present challenges to teams of that caliber due to the spread offenses that are well executed.

bobcat1
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
No love for Sealy and 4 in a row, '94 thru '97 ? No team has ever done that regardless of classification.Hrrmph hrrmmph. :tisk: Over here Mister Baby Blue fan:wave:. Congrats to Sealy for accomplishing 4 in a row also.;)

bobcat1
12-17-2012, 03:05 PM
correction:

Celina(2A) did it in 1998-2001......I also believe Abilene or Wichita Falls did it once also.Didn't see this until I posted my post. :wave:

Sville
12-17-2012, 03:11 PM
1. Understanding that the Dangerfield 1983 team is slated as being the best 3A team ever is formidable considering the results, stats, and success those players had during the season and at the next level.

My question was how would that team compete in this era. Only reason I even entertain this debate is that in 1983, the level of competition and caliber of teams weren't the same as they are now. The number of great athletes playing HS football in 1983 isn't near the number that are playing in this era across the board. Would anyone else agree? By no means am I discrediting the 1983 team, because they were outstanding. But, the number of schools and the caliber of HS football has evolved over the last 30 years due to the caliber of college teams and pro teams driving the interest in kids being successful at the next level. Dangerfield 1983 looked to be the caliber of some of the 3A teams of this era. There's just more teams that are great and provide challenges in all aspects. Call me naive, but they looked a lot like the Gilmer's, Kilgore's, Carthage's, Everman's, La Marque's, etc. The Southlake Carroll's, Lake Travis's, Stephenville's, of this era present challenges to teams of that caliber due to the spread offenses that are well executed.

I think it is all relative to the era Hollywood. If you take that '83 Dangerfield team today and give them training, camps, and coaching that the programs receive today then I say yes they could be duplicate their results.

coachc45
12-17-2012, 04:49 PM

That Daingerfield team was ahead of its time as far as athletes go.... give you a few examples! The O-line averaged 270 across the board, the center was around 190, Guards 280 and 270, both tackles in 290-300 range. 1 olineman played for Baylor, 2 others went smaller schools. Had 3 1000 yd backs. Tulsa, Kansas, and SFA. Reciever (x) went DII, TE was 6'4 260 and played OT in College at 1AA. QB played Minor league baseball, cup of coffee in the show. 4th RB set state record in Long jump.

Defense was based on speed. 1 DT played LB at SFA, the other DE in JC, One DE went to Kansas the other nowhere. All 3 LBers had DI offers, one didn't go. Already talked about the secondary..... oh they ran a 3:16 4x400 at state.

Like I said, Athletically gifted. Is it any coincedence that Daingerfield's current success coincides with the 25-30 year anniversaries of those record setting teams from 83-86? A large number of the players the last 5 years (4 state games in 5 yrs) are sons and nephews of that group.

YTBulldogs
12-17-2012, 04:59 PM
'83 Daingerfield Tiger team is by far the best 3A team ever IMO. 8 points all year given up.

Old Tiger
12-17-2012, 05:02 PM
'83 Daingerfield Tiger team is by far the best 3A team ever IMO. 8 points all year given up.

Wasn't it a fumble by the offense and a safety?

toddg
12-17-2012, 05:18 PM
That Daingerfield team was ahead of its time as far as athletes go.... give you a few examples! The O-line averaged 270 across the board, the center was around 190, Guards 280 and 270, both tackles in 290-300 range. 1 olineman played for Baylor, 2 others went smaller schools. Had 3 1000 yd backs. Tulsa, Kansas, and SFA. Reciever (x) went DII, TE was 6'4 260 and played OT in College at 1AA. QB played Minor league baseball, cup of coffee in the show. 4th RB set state record in Long jump.

Defense was based on speed. 1 DT played LB at SFA, the other DE in JC, One DE went to Kansas the other nowhere. All 3 LBers had DI offers, one didn't go. Already talked about the secondary..... oh they ran a 3:16 4x400 at state.

Like I said, Athletically gifted. Is it any coincedence that Daingerfield's current success coincides with the 25-30 year anniversaries of those record setting teams from 83-86? A large number of the players the last 5 years (4 state games in 5 yrs) are sons and nephews of that group.

that is over what the Dallas Cowboys O-Line averaged at that time..

cowboyandchrist
12-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Yes the state championship game is on youtube, they beat a darn good sweeny team 42 to 0. They never crossed the fifty yard line. Daingerfield was big, strong and as fast as you will ever see at the high school level. A once and a life time team.
I believe they would have adapted to the spread and still threw 14 shuts outs.

cowboyandchrist
12-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Wasn't it a fumble by the offense and a safety?

No they were playing 4A Kilgore, the Daingerfield center snapped the ball over the punters head and he ran back and downed in the end zone.

Sville
12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
'83 Dangerfield sounds like one of those teams that would of won a SC regardless of classification that year.

That is how I feel about the 1994 Stephenville Yellow Jackets. They were the best team in all of Texas that year IMO and the best Stephenville team hands down. They had an incredible OL that year that was bigger than the Cowboys OL on average. Like I said earlier they had 13 college football players on that team. Two of those player are now coaches on the current Sville staff.

oldtownag
12-17-2012, 06:21 PM

I was a Jr. on the 83 Carthage team that lost to Daingerfield 10-6. Our 4A team went on to the semi-finals and was full of talent. All the 2008 - 2010 Carthage teams would have beat our team.

One thing that is getting lost is the fact that Carthage is basically the same size enrollment now as in 83. Daingerfield had todays 2A numbers back then.

defense51
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM

I think if you put it into perspective, they would probably compete very well today if not excel. The Dangerfield players didn't have the technology, training camps, internet to study offenses and defenses, the evolution in strength, speed, and agility training, etc... They achieved the level of success without all the things todays programs have. I didn't see them in person, but have watched a small amount of the '83 season on the web, and they were to say the least, dominant. The type of team that only comes around once in a school's history.

hollywood
12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
See that's what I'm referencing. It seems Dangerfield '83 was ahead of their time. The quality of athletes on one team... size, speed, athletism, football sense... all factor into how good this team was. But I also want to point out that in 1983, there just weren't that many teams that had that kind of talent at that level. Today, there are. I'm not saying they are as good as Dangerfield '83. Just the talent level across the board is of that caliber AND there are more teams that can present a challenge week in and week out, year after year. As oldtownag pointed out, Carthage '83 lost 10-6 and in his opinion, the 2008-2010 Carthage teams would have beat the '83 Carthage team. It's all subjective and those having opinions that were there to witness it are truly great to hear. It's one of those debates that could be talked about until the end of time.

Man those were some hillbillies in that video by the way!! lol ;)

defense51
12-17-2012, 06:52 PM
See that's what I'm referencing. It seems Dangerfield '83 was ahead of their time. The quality of athletes on one team... size, speed, athletism, football sense... all factor into how good this team was. But I also want to point out that in 1983, there just weren't that many teams that had that kind of talent at that level. Today, there are. I'm not saying they are as good as Dangerfield '83. Just the talent level across the board is of that caliber AND there are more teams that can present a challenge week in and week out, year after year. As oldtownag pointed out, Carthage '83 lost 10-6 and in his opinion, the 2008-2010 Carthage teams would have beat the '83 Carthage team. It's all subjective and those having opinions that were there to witness it are truly great to hear. It's one of those debates that could be talked about until the end of time.

Man those were some hillbillies in that video by the way!! lol ;)
You're probably correct about the level of competition not being as tough across the board as it is now. It seems there are more good teams now taking the field overall than there was 30 years ago. I say we get the '83 Dangerfield team back together and see how they do against today's teams. :crazy1:
Can someone tell me who the coach at Dangefield was?

Aggie98
12-17-2012, 07:09 PM
You're probably correct about the level of competition not being as tough across the board as it is now. It seems there are more good teams now taking the field overall than there was 30 years ago. I say we get the '83 Dangerfield team back together and see how they do against today's teams. :crazy1:
Can someone tell me who the coach at Dangefield was?

Dennis Alexander.

Matthew328
12-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Anything pre-1980 is hard to judge...since the current 3A was really 2A...

1980 Pittsburg (almost equal to the 1983 Daingerfield team....12 shutouts)
1983 Daingerfield (we all know)
1992 Southlake Carroll (best 3A team of the SLC squads)
2001 Everman (the better of the 2 Everman title teams; may have won 4A D2 that year....would have beaten 2008 Everman by at least 10 pts)
2003 Gainesville (VERY Underrated)
2007 Liberty Hill (Slot T is the debil)

I think the 2012 Stephenville team could be thrown into this mix also...the loss kind of tarnishes it..all the above squads were perfect on the year..the first Carthage title team with Dwight Smith didn't have the resume the others had, but they were playing as well as anyone EVER by the end of the year IMO.....that team demolished a pretty good Celina squad

Aggie98
12-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Another tidbit about that Dfield team.... the greatest player to ever come through Dfield graduated the year before the '83 season. He was Thomas Everett.... 2 time All-American and Thorpe award winner at Baylor, college football HOF, Super Bowl MVP, etc... His little brother, Eric, did play on the '83 team and also went on to play several years in the NFL.

hollywood
12-17-2012, 08:10 PM
I think if you put it into perspective, they would probably compete very well today if not excel. The Dangerfield players didn't have the technology, training camps, internet to study offenses and defenses, the evolution in strength, speed, and agility training, etc... They achieved the level of success without all the things todays programs have. I didn't see them in person, but have watched a small amount of the '83 season on the web, and they were to say the least, dominant. The type of team that only comes around once in a school's history.

That's a very good point. The fact that the training, specialized camps, evolved football knowledge, and coaching techniques all are factors in today's football era. Most athletes eventually specialize into 1-2 sports versus 20+ years ago where athletes participated in multiple sports.

Matthew328
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM

the 2 guys at the store are genius

Matthew328
12-17-2012, 08:37 PM
had Medina Valley not pulled off one of the greatest upsets of all time in the 1984 title game Daingerfield would have won 3 in a row from 1983-1985

defense51
12-17-2012, 09:03 PM
the 2 guys at the store are genius

Gonna win by 40 points

oldtownag
12-17-2012, 09:23 PM
the first Carthage title team with Dwight Smith didn't have the resume the others had, but they were playing as well as anyone EVER by the end of the year IMO.....that team demolished a pretty good Celina squad

2009 Carthage Team was undefeated but was definitely behind the 2008 and 2010 teams at the end of the year. Both those teams had two early losses but were awesome come playoff time.

defense51
12-17-2012, 09:56 PM
2009 Carthage Team was undefeated but was definitely behind the 2008 and 2010 teams at the end of the year. Both those teams had two early losses but were awesome come playoff time.

I don't buy all the hype about East Texas speed, but one thing I will say about the East Texas teams is when it comes playoff time they take their game to another level; Carthage, Gilmer, Henderson, Dangerfield, etc... The regular season losses mean absolutely nothing!

Matthew328
12-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Gonna win by 40 points

Whats funny is those 2 hillbillies were right!!!

waterboy
12-17-2012, 10:32 PM
As a man who has seen about 45 years of high school football of all classifications, I've never seen a team even come remotely close to duplicating what that '83 Daingerfield team did. They didn't just beat people, they demolished every opponent. There never was any doubt what was going to happen in the games the Tigers played that year. They were utterly and completely dominating in all facets of the game, and not just on defense. All it took was one look at one offensive series by their opponent and you knew what was going to happen. They wreaked havoc on offenses by being in the backfield on EVERY play ALL YEAR LONG. They, meaning 2 or 3 players, were on the QB before he had a chance to hand the ball off more times than not. Their DEFENSE dictated your offense, their offense dictated your defense, their special teams dictated your special teams. If you've ever seen a mismatch in high school football where one team was completely superior to their opponent, the '83 Tiger team was that superior team against all 16 opponents. I truly believe that if that team would've known early in the year that they had a chance at not giving up ANY points all season, they could've done it. Those 8 points were scored in their first three games. As a matter of fact, I find myself comparing defenses to this day to that Tiger defense. They set the standard, and the bar that every team can strive for. Needless to say, they were the best ever, and that comes from someone who's team is a bitter rival of theirs.

hollywood
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
As a man who has seen about 45 years of high school football of all classifications, I've never seen a team even come remotely close to duplicating what that '83 Daingerfield team did. They didn't just beat people, they demolished every opponent. There never was any doubt what was going to happen in the games the Tigers played that year. They were utterly and completely dominating in all facets of the game, and not just on defense. All it took was one look at one offensive series by their opponent and you knew what was going to happen. They wreaked havoc on offenses by being in the backfield on EVERY play ALL YEAR LONG. They, meaning 2 or 3 players, were on the QB before he had a chance to hand the ball off more times than not. Their DEFENSE dictated your offense, their offense dictated your defense, their special teams dictated your special teams. If you've ever seen a mismatch in high school football where one team was completely superior to their opponent, the '83 Tiger team was that superior team against all 16 opponents. I truly believe that if that team would've known early in the year that they had a chance at not giving up ANY points all season, they could've done it. Those 8 points were scored in their first three games. As a matter of fact, I find myself comparing defenses to this day to that Tiger defense. They set the standard, and the bar that every team can strive for. Needless to say, they were the best ever, and that comes from someone who's team is a bitter rival of theirs.

Awesome information waterboy. Would Gilmer 2009 or even 2012 been able to stay on the field with that team?

waterboy
12-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Awesome information waterboy. Would Gilmer 2009 or even 2012 been able to stay on the field with that team?

Yep, they could've stayed on the field with them.................but they would've likely gotten beat. Today's offenses are different, and I'm not "positive" that Daingerfield would've had as many shutouts against today's offenses, but they would've had the same number of wins. I absolutely HATE to admit that, too. I hope you understand that.

coachc45
12-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Yep, they could've stayed on the field with them.................but they would've likely gotten beat. Today's offenses are different, and I'm not "positive" that Daingerfield would've had as many shutouts against today's offenses, but they would've had the same number of wins. I absolutely HATE to admit that, too. I hope you understand that.

As a PROUD member of thst 83 team(soph backup defensive end who never got on the field, moved up for playoffs), I am biased! I was on the sidelines for all 16 games with the best seat in the house(was manager in regular season). I have little doubt that with offenses today, they would not have shutout 14 opponents like they did in 83. Too many chances to score and too many ways. But to really understand the athleticism of these teams you wouldve had to seen them. They were truly gifted. Heck we had a 265 guard who could do a hand-spring back flip. It was a sight to see. They would've went 16-0, no doubt in my mind, if they played today. Truly a juggernaut. We will never again see a collection of athletes like that at the 3A or lower level, very few 5A's can say they had that type of talent.

I was priviledged to be a part of it. It was a crazy ride and one I will never forget.

waterboy
12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
As a PROUD member of thst 83 team(soph backup defensive end who never got on the field, moved up for playoffs), I am biased! I was on the sidelines for all 16 games with the best seat in the house(was manager in regular season). I have little doubt that with offenses today, they would not have shutout 14 opponents like they did in 83. Too many chances to score and too many ways. But to really understand the athleticism of these teams you wouldve had to seen them. They were truly gifted. Heck we had a 265 guard who could do a hand-spring back flip. It was a sight to see. They would've went 16-0, no doubt in my mind, if they played today. Truly a juggernaut. We will never again see a collection of athletes like that at the 3A or lower level, very few 5A's can say they had that type of talent.

I was priviledged to be a part of it. It was a crazy ride and one I will never forget.

One of my customers was a starter on that '83 team. I seldom see him anymore, but we used to have some long conversations about that team, and what might have happened if they were to play teams with the offenses of today. That was certainly a special group of athletes to say the least. They IMPOSED their will against their opponents that season. AWESOME stuff.

waterboy
12-18-2012, 09:47 AM
By the way, coach, I'll be there backing the Blue Tigers for another state championship Friday. Are you going to be there?

toddg
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM

i saw ya'll in person against Sweeny..and it was awsome just watching the Tigers warm up!!

NastySlot
12-18-2012, 11:44 AM
What about 1980 Pittsburg team that won state. I was in Jr. High and was supposed to go with my dad to watch them in the playoffs but he had to work and I never saw them play. I remember people talking about how dominate and good they were.

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?action=schedule&T=1178&S=1980&GUID=2356891632

also if they had been mentioned sorry I did not read all the post.

vtskneb
12-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Whats funny is those 2 hillbillies were right!!!

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. LOL, I felt like I was watching deliverance.

coachc45
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
By the way, coach, I'll be there backing the Blue Tigers for another state championship Friday. Are you going to be there?

That aren't letting us out of school here until noon, and with last day of semester being friday they won't let me take a day off. I am going to try and leave Conroe about 12:15 to see as much of the Gilmer game as possible, but won't get there in time for the D'field game.

big daddy russ
12-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Actually, I said best "teams." Plural. And I think you're doing a pretty good job covering them all.

I'm really trying to get a feeling for these modern teams. Those Carthage teams sound like something else. So does that '09 Gilmer team and this current Stephenville team.