PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Buckeyes vs Navasota Rattlers for the 3A Div. II State Championship!

Pages : [1] 2

GTownballer
12-15-2012, 12:15 PM
The rumble in Cowboy Stadium, two of the top Heavyweights go toe to toe! Who goes down in this one and why?

navscanmaster
12-15-2012, 12:38 PM
You know we will all have our homer picks in this one, but it will come down to defense. Who gets the most stops. Navasota has proven to have a great defense that occasionally can be hit for the big play, but if the big play doesn't score a touchdown, the defense is downright nasty inside the 10. I can't predict this one, yet, so go Rattlers!

Inmateboss
12-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Just glad I don't have a dog in the hunt !!! But going with Gilmer in this one!! I've seen up close and personal what they can do!!! Their gonna cut the head off that Rattler, skin it and then eat it!!!
Dinner at Jerry's world, come and get it!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

jacket98,99
12-15-2012, 01:06 PM
i think this will be a great game. Gilmer takes it. might end up being the best state championship game this year out of all classifications. Good luck to both teams. Impressive seasons for both of you.

GTownballer
12-15-2012, 01:14 PM
You know we will all have our homer picks in this one, but it will come down to defense. Who gets the most stops. Navasota has proven to have a great defense that occasionally can be hit for the big play, but if the big play doesn't score a touchdown, the defense is downright nasty inside the 10. I can't predict this one, yet, so go Rattlers!

Should be interesting, I've watched as much video as they are available, on Navasota, ya'll remind me alot of Henderson last year, big strong, fast, mobile QB that can light you up, and 2 good runningbacks that can go to the house at anytime, and a mean D! We squeaked a win out against them last year (Henderson), with our back up QB, and felt gratefull for it! Not to dish our last years team, because they made a deep run, without Luke Turner, falling to a good Argyle team, but this years young Gilmer team, is more talented across the board, with big props, going to the Black Flag D! making the stops when they have to. I'm like you, the one with most stops wins! I guess this is both teams Superbowl week, so no ridiculous claims coming from this camp, just expect are very good football game, by 2 good programs , and let's all just savor the moment!
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Saggy Aggie
12-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Navasota has been the top dog all year long but man Gilmer is playing lights out right now.

Predictions to come later

sTxforlife
12-15-2012, 01:30 PM
This has the potential to be one of the best state games in a while and definitely the best one this year. Both teams have great offenses and great defenses. I wish I could make the trip up to Dallas to watch this one, I'm gonna say Navasota finds a way to get it done but not by more than a TD.

lbjacj
12-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Who wins?

bearbear78
12-15-2012, 01:58 PM
IMO the two best 3A teams in Tejas. What more could you ask for in a ball game. Gonna be a great explosive game. 42-38 Gilmer.

regaleagle
12-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Both teams have proven themselves worthy against some very good opponents this season. At this juncture, you can forget about early season, or district play. It's what has happened since that point that matters most. Each week in the playoffs both teams have had an opportunity to grow and get better against the better competition. Both teams have done that, and have maintained their health and depth along the way. This is a key to winning the title....having all your best players on the field during the championship game. It's just very difficult to win the whole enchilada against the opponent if you are missing a key element that got you here. Esp. at this level where the opponent is every bit as talented a team as yours is. I'm fairly certain both teams are pretty close to full health, and with the game indoors it should be a great matchup. Navasota has proven to be a juggernaut offensively from day one, and Gilmer has proven they are a force to be reckoned with that is steamrolling right now at season's end. If you look at what has transpired up to this point, I would have to say this one is very difficult to predict. The ONLY prediction that is plausible is that this game will be worth the effort to go see in person at Cowboys Stadium. It could end up being the very best game of the entire playoff finals out of all classifications.

HEMOTOXIC
12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Boy oh boy this will be a good one...

Navasota's underated nasty defense against Gilmer's offense or Navasota's offense against the Black Flag defense of Gilmer...

Can't Wait!

vtskneb
12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
I hate to compare scores and I thought I knew Navasota was going to win state in division 2 before last night. I do not know that after the two games last night. Good luck to Both teams. Rattlers why do you think your offense sputtered last night? Of course I am sure it is nice to have a defense that keeps folks under 20!

navscanmaster
12-15-2012, 03:29 PM
I hate to compare scores and I thought I knew Navasota was going to win state in division 2 before last night. I do not know that after the two games last night. Good luck to Both teams. Rattlers why do you think your offense sputtered last night? Of course I am sure it is nice to have a defense that keeps folks under 20!

Great pass defense by Bellville. According to the www.brazossports.com article, they still rushed for 160 and passed for 240, so I guess it is sputtering. Bellville did force a few three and outs, and some other short drives. But the running game took over in the second half and made the difference, both in the clock and the TD drive, and the final drive that iced the game. Despite the great coverage by Bellville, most of the Rattler yards came from screens. The longer throws were either off target on the windy night, or dropped by receivers that don't make a habit of dropping very many passes. Give Bellville credit. Anybody at this stage should have at the very least a good defense.

toddg
12-15-2012, 03:29 PM
i think it will be close, but Navasota has the more experienced players...might be the difference..im going with the Rattlers.

Tin Cup
12-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Gilmer 35
Navasota 34

Botched PAT is the difference. Great matchup wish I could make it!!

Gilmer 35
Navasota 34

Botched PAT is the difference. Great matchup wish I could make it!!

I have 0 knowledge of either team except what I have found on here. Seems to me The rattlers have more experience and have momentum going the way they want it.
Gilmer sounds like they have athletes all over the field but younger. East Texas teams have found a way to pull off big wins but something inside tells me Navasota takes this one and East Texas is left out in the cold this year. (Rattlers by 14)
I know every team in East Texas is pulling for Gilmer just so that don't happen. That is how bad they don't want to let that State title slip away from them.
28-14

OldBison75
12-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I said this on another thread, but this is the one matchup in Division 2 that I dreaded. This is the one team that I feel matches up best against the Navasota offense. This is a game that WILL be decided by who makes the mistakes and how the other team responds. Neither team can say that they have a definite advantage on either side of the ball. As a Rattler fan, I have faith that the rattler defense will make enough stops to win.
I also believe the Rattler offense will still score at least 28. That is my homer faith in my team. As for predicting a score, I won't go there. I will only say that this game will not be decided until the last 3 minutes of the game. That is how much respect I have for Gilmer and the coaching staff there. Folks, this will be a battle--if you love High School Football and the atmosphere at a truly competitive game----fans that support their teams no matter what-----and want to be absorbed in some great football, DON'T MISS THIS GAME.

cowboyandchrist
12-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I said this on another thread, but this is the one matchup in Division 2 that I dreaded. This is the one team that I feel matches up best against the Navasota offense. This is a game that WILL be decided by who makes the mistakes and how the other team responds. Neither team can say that they have a definite advantage on either side of the ball. As a Rattler fan, I have faith that the rattler defense will make enough stops to win.
I also believe the Rattler offense will still score at least 28. That is my homer faith in my team. As for predicting a score, I won't go there. I will only say that this game will not be decided until the last 3 minutes of the game. That is how much respect I have for Gilmer and the coaching staff there. Folks, this will be a battle--if you love High School Football and the atmosphere at a truly competitive game----fans that support their teams no matter what-----and want to be absorbed in some great football, DON'T MISS THIS GAME.

The best post on this game I have read so far. I agree this game will be a slobber knocker. I only know about the Rattlers what I have read on 3A Downlow, I did pick them early in the season to play for the State title. Gilmer has gone way above what anybody from East Texas thought they would. They lost so many outstanding players from last year and replaced them with under classmen. They are much faster this year and the game that made me eat crow that showed how fast they were was Kilgore, those boys can flat out play some football. The next game where the speed was shown was against Henderson. When they held them and ran away from them in the second half, I knew they were very very special. The Argyle game proved they were for real in the playoffs. They just keep getting better every game. Coach Traylor is one of the best coaches in Texas, but this year has to be the best job of coaching since the 2004 season. I will not make a prediction, but I will say if the game is close late in the fourth quarter Gilmer will find some way to win. What a great championship to see. I am pulling for the Buckeyes, they have earned the respect of everyone in East Texas. Good luck to the Rattler nation, Good luck to the Buckeye nation, but most of God Bless and safe travel.

cowboyandchrist
12-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I have 0 knowledge of either team except what I have found on here. Seems to me The rattlers have more experience and have momentum going the way they want it.
Gilmer sounds like they have athletes all over the field but younger. East Texas teams have found a way to pull off big wins but something inside tells me Navasota takes this one and East Texas is left out in the cold this year. (Rattlers by 14)
I know every team in East Texas is pulling for Gilmer just so that don't happen. That is how bad they don't want to let that State title slip away from them.
28-14

You are so right, we here in East Texas have held it for so long we don't want to let it go. It would mean eating a ton of crow for some of us. I have faith in the Buckeyes, they are amazing this year. I am glad my Dawgs did not play them this year, it would have been a heck of a game but the Buckeyes kill you when you make a mistake and we made a lot of them. I have not seen the Rattlers in person, but the Buckeyes can fly to the football on D and can run away from you on the O side of the ball.

poisoned10
12-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Navasota has been the top dog all year long but man Gilmer is playing lights out right now.

Predictions? As in plural, like last week? :D

HEMOTOXIC
12-15-2012, 10:35 PM
You know when you get that gut feeling? It's just something about this years Rattler team. No matter what the other team throws at them, they seem to recover, manage to stay come, adjust, and do what it takes to win. In 2009, Navasota went head to head with #1 Gilmer, a Buckeye team that had been ranked #1 all season. Navasota wasn't supposed to even stay close against the Buckeyes. Well, the rest is history. And, although Navasota didn't win, they proved that they can indeed play with the best in the state. After a Rattler lead at the half, Gilmer's defense stepped it up a notch to get the victory 42-35.

I haven't seen Gilmer play this year, so, I am going in blind for this matchup. As I have stated all season, if Navasota does what they do best and play Rattler ball, I have no doubt they will get the victory. Mental prepardness, the ability to get the stops on defense, making teams pay for their mistakes, and puting points on the board by any means necessary is what we have come to expect form the 2012 Rattlers. I have faith in the players and the coaching staff that they will be ready for 4 quarters of hard nosed Rattlerball.

Sville
12-15-2012, 10:38 PM
I will be there in person to see this one. I can't wait.

HEMOTOXIC
12-15-2012, 10:39 PM
You are so right, we here in East Texas have held it for so long we don't want to let it go. It would mean eating a ton of crow for some of us. I have faith in the Buckeyes, they are amazing this year. I am glad my Dawgs did not play them this year, it would have been a heck of a game but the Buckeyes kill you when you make a mistake and we made a lot of them. I have not seen the Rattlers in person, but the Buckeyes can fly to the football on D and can run away from you on the O side of the ball.

Well, they actually sound like a mirror image of each other...

HEMOTOXIC
12-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I will be there in person to see this one. I can't wait.

Looking forward to it myself... We should arrive sometime Thursday afternoon.

Gone Fishing
12-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Because BB has a very good defense, they held a good Wimberley team to 7 points in the area game 21-7. Navasota will win this game with not much problems.

GTownballer
12-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Because BB has a very good defense, they held a good Wimberley team to 7 points in the area game 21-7. Navasota will win this game with not much problems.

Navasota wins with not much problem??? Okie dokie,, its obvious you spend more time fishing than watching HSchool football! they fixn to have a bunch of problems, count on it!

Pawdaddy
12-16-2012, 04:50 AM

If you actually believe this statement, you already have problems, mental problems. Come to think of it, you will still have mental problems next weekend, but Gilmer will have the SC Trophy! Read the Gilmer/Graham threads. Those Graham fans will tell you. Storms coming! In the words of Curly Bill, "I ain't kiddin', either!"

1971Coogs
12-16-2012, 07:19 AM
You know when you get that gut feeling? It's just something about this years Rattler team. No matter what the other team throws at them, they seem to recover, manage to stay come, adjust, and do what it takes to win. In 2009, Navasota went head to head with #1 Gilmer, a Buckeye team that had been ranked #1 all season. Navasota wasn't supposed to even stay close against the Buckeyes. Well, the rest is history. And, although Navasota didn't win, they proved that they can indeed play with the best in the state. After a Rattler lead at the half, Gilmer's defense stepped it up a notch to get the victory 42-35.

I haven't seen Gilmer play this year, so, I am going in blind for this matchup. As I have stated all season, if Navasota does what they do best and play Rattler ball, I have no doubt they will get the victory. Mental prepardness, the ability to get the stops on defense, making teams pay for their mistakes, and puting points on the board by any means necessary is what we have come to expect form the 2012 Rattlers. I have faith in the players and the coaching staff that they will be ready for 4 quarters of hard nosed Rattlerball."making teams pay for their mistakes"..........yep, I can vouch for that one :doh:

bobcat1
12-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I picked Navasota at the start of the year as Champions in my pick'em bracket. I really like what they have done this year but I wonder if they peaked too soon after last weeks game. Gilmer is just hitting their stride so I am going to go with them. Gilmer has gotten better each game. Good luck to both for making it this far. The rest of us are required to hear thump thump.

Rabid Cougar
12-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Cameron hex will carry over from the 2A Championship game at Noon.... Navasota wins.

1971Coogs
12-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Should be interesting, I've watched as much video as they are available, on Navasota, ya'll remind me alot of Henderson last year, big strong, fast, mobile QB that can light you up, and 2 good runningbacks that can go to the house at anytime, and a mean D! We squeaked a win out against them last year (Henderson), with our back up QB, and felt gratefull for it! Not to dish our last years team, because they made a deep run, without Luke Turner, falling to a good Argyle team, but this years young Gilmer team, is more talented across the board, with big props, going to the Black Flag D! making the stops when they have to. I'm like you, the one with most stops wins! I guess this is both teams Superbowl week, so no ridiculous claims coming from this camp, just expect are very good football game, by 2 good programs , and let's all just savor the moment!
Lets Go Buckeyes!
Not sure what year this was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSIf_Sy9Hjs

http://www.ktbs.com/video/video/Atlanta-vs-Gilmer-11-23-12/-/144384/17535816/-/xo99mwz/-/index.html

1971Coogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwDxg4Cahw

1971Coogs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-zzpvcDWy8

1971Coogs
12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Now.....for some "real " hilites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkzS8fb0NWc

1971Coogs
12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/brackets/football/football-3a-d2.pdf

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Special shout out to our former district mates, the Yoemen of Cameron. Good Luck!

Now, back to Navasota vs Gilmer!

buckeyebob
12-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Pull the trigger!

1971Coogs
12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Based on what I've seen of the Gilmer defense (in the hilite videos)....Navasota has the better defense. That might be the deciding factor. But it appears Gilmer's coaching staff knows how to keep the team focused even when down by more than two scores (as in the game against Henderson). That might be the deciding factor. Navasota is treading into new water.....and I can tell you from personal experience (10 times to the Big Show) emotions run very high for 16 and 17 year old teenagers in their first State Title appearance.

Whichever team executes their game plan to the best of it's ability and keep emotions in check....will win this ball game.

buckeyebob
12-16-2012, 10:33 AM

WOW!! & from an Eagle Bulldog...Thanks

buckeyebob
12-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I haven't seen Gilmer play this year, so, I am going in blind for this matchup. As I have stated all season, if Navasota does what they do best and play Rattler ball, I have no doubt they will get the victory. Mental prepardness, the ability to get the stops on defense, making teams pay for their mistakes, and puting points on the board by any means necessary is what we have come to expect form the 2012 Rattlers. I have faith in the players and the coaching staff that they will be ready for 4 quarters of hard nosed Rattlerball.

They are too small, too young, too slow (we are the exception to the East Texas Speed Kills thingey), too little motivation, too inexperienced, & will implode if too much pressure is put on 'em. Got nice uni's.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 11:01 AM
They are too small, too young, too slow (we are the exception to the East Texas Speed Kills thingey), too little motivation, too inexperienced, & will implode if too much pressure is put on 'em. Got nice uni's.

We know better than that!

whitelightning5
12-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Navasota better clean some things up before this game. I know the Rattler fans will tell you that the defenses of LM and Bellville were top notch, but there were several miscues that kept the game close. I have seen a few Rattler games....2 being stompings and 2 being closer than expected. On the 2 losses, notably the Bellville loss, Navasota just wasn't what you would expect from a dominant team. Don't really know who gets the credit here....Bellville or Navasota just not playing well. I would lean to the last (and I am from Bellville), but Navasota fans would probably tell you it was the first.

The offense better start catching the ball. The only pass play that worked was the screen, but that was primarily due to Bellville dropping 8 in pass coverage. The running game paid off because of that alignment also. The defense better eliminate the big play. Gilmer should be a little more balanced than Bellville.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Navasota better clean some things up before this game. I know the Rattler fans will tell you that the defenses of LM and Bellville were top notch, but there were several miscues that kept the game close. I have seen a few Rattler games....2 being stompings and 2 being closer than expected. On the 2 losses, notably the Bellville loss, Navasota just wasn't what you would expect from a dominant team. Don't really know who gets the credit here....Bellville or Navasota just not playing well. I would lean to the last (and I am from Bellville), but Navasota fans would probably tell you it was the first.

The offense better start catching the ball. The only pass play that worked was the screen, but that was primarily due to Bellville dropping 8 in pass coverage. The running game paid off because of that alignment also. The defense better eliminate the big play. Gilmer should be a little more balanced than Bellville.

I think that it was a combination of both. As you stated, there were a lot of dropped passes to receivers who are normally sure handed. I agree, We better clean it up before Friday or it will be a long trip back to Navasota.

From a fan's view, I was not impressed with Navasota performance on the offensive side of the ball. In any other year, we would have lost. But, the defense won the game for us. From speaking with some of the players, they weren't happy with their performance either. I've seen the offense sputter, most notable, during the season. I actually commented on that very same topic.

Hopefully, it was just nerves. I can't see us winning if the offense is not on top of their game against Gilmer.

whitelightning5
12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
HEMO.....what was your take on the timeout/TD reversal?

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 11:30 AM
HEMO.....what was your take on the timeout/TD reversal?

It was unfortunate for the Brahmas. That would have made the score 17-14 Rattlers going in to the half. Since Bellville didn't score again, I don't think that it was the biggest deciding factor of the game.

whitelightning5
12-16-2012, 11:48 AM
It was unfortunate for the Brahmas. That would have made the score 17-14 Rattlers going in to the half. Since Bellville didn't score again, I don't think that it was the biggest deciding factor of the game.

Momentum is a crazy thing though. I can't believe the head official (standing closest to the coach) looked at Rowe and waived him off and the official in the back of the endzone allowed it. It wasn't his call to make. We can shoulda, woulda, coulda.....that bad center/holder exchange on that blocked field goal could have tied the game.

In the end, Navasota would have won. BUT...it would have made everyone on your side sweat a little more....lol.

On to this week....enough about the past.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Momentum is a crazy thing though. I can't believe the head official (standing closest to the coach) looked at Rowe and waived him off and the official in the back of the endzone allowed it. It wasn't his call to make. We can shoulda, woulda, coulda.....that bad center/holder exchange on that blocked field goal could have tied the game.

In the end, Navasota would have won. BUT...it would have made everyone on your side sweat a little more....lol.

On to this week....enough about the past.

Yeah, that was pretty crazy...

GTownballer
12-16-2012, 12:41 PM
It's gonna be a long week!

lostaussie
12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I haven't taken time to read any of this yet. Been out of town with no internet since after Graham game. I don't know how we gonna get this done but my faith in this young team will not waver. What a gritty bunch of kids that have come so far since the season started. 4 state championship games in 9 years. I don't know that I have ever been more proud to say...........WE ARE GILMER!! GO BUCKEYES

toddg
12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Predictions to come latercome on SA!! &^%$ or get off the pot!!!

toddg
12-16-2012, 02:57 PM
If you actually believe this statement, you already have problems, mental problems. Come to think of it, you will still have mental problems next weekend, but Gilmer will have the SC Trophy! Read the Gilmer/Graham threads. Those Graham fans will tell you. Storms coming! In the words of Curly Bill, "I ain't kiddin', either!"

who is curley bill? oh, one of the three stooges..

Saggy Aggie
12-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Haha,

Well... Everyone knows Navasota is my 2nd favorite team.... So I'm a little bias... But I've seen many Gilmer teams in the past and have always been impressed.

Before i predict, can i get some stats and scores? i wanna know just how good Gilmer is...

vtskneb
12-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Of the few that may have seen them play, how are each teams special teams? More specifically the kicking games?

The reponses to my question about Sota's offensive struggles are a little alarming from a prognostication stand point if you had the Rattlers winning. I think experience plays a role but at this point all the sophomores are Juniors this late from Gilmer. Alvarado would have been state champs if they had a average kicking game last year. I say that because I think this game will come down to the final minutes of the game and it could come down to a kicker making a play for their team. I think Navasota wins but it sure is not as resolute of a pick as it was 3 weeks ago.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Of the few that may have seen them play, how are each teams special teams? More specifically the kicking games?

The reponses to my question about Sota's offensive struggles are a little alarming from a prognostication stand point if you had the Rattlers winning. I think experience plays a role but at this point all the sophomores are Juniors this late from Gilmer. Alvarado would have been state champs if they had a average kicking game last year. I say that because I think this game will come down to the final minutes of the game and it could come down to a kicker making a play for their team. I think Navasota wins but it sure is not as resolute of a pick as it was 3 weeks ago.

Navasota has a really good kicker.

I will say this, to go against La Marque, WOS, and then Bellville, all who were really good defensive teams, says a lot about Navasota. I think all three of these defenses were legit. Yes, I also believe that Navasota offense is struggling a bit but I will give those two teams credit for that.

toddg
12-16-2012, 04:14 PM
good news..some '88 Dragons will be at the game!! thats good karma!! believe it or not..

OldBison75
12-16-2012, 05:05 PM

I have no idea about the Gilmer kicking game, but Navasota is pretty solid. The field goal kicker is 14 for 14 this year on field goal tries with a long of 48 yards. He has several over 35 yards. I agree that this may make a big difference in this game. That is one area I am comfortable that the Rattlers can count on to perform all of the time.

GTownballer
12-16-2012, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=OldBison75;1731003]I have no idea about the Gilmer kicking game, but Navasota is pretty solid. The field goal kicker is 14 for 14 this year on field goal tries with a long of 48 yards. He has several over 35 yards. I agree that this may make a big difference in this game. That is one area I am comfortable that the Rattlers can count on to perform all of the time.[/QUOTE

Solid! He might of missed a couple extra points, but they were helped, good from 40 in, accurate pooch kicks, and can kick it reasonably deep, not a threat to kick out of the endzone, QB punts, rugby, or he can kick it away, he has a couple 70 plus yarders! Gilmer vs Kilgore game which is on youtube, he kicks 2 that are pretty nice!

83Indian
12-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Man this is a tough one to call. Sota has been ranked #1 all year. Defense has been impressive all year. Only game they really were in danger was La Marque. The coogs actually had a shot without the turnovers and red zone mistakes. Other than that, really not challenged all year. BellVille gave them a pretty tough game last week as well. Offense is sound. QB is an excellent passer however I think he will get lots of pressure from Gilmer and not being a running QB could be a problem. Sota has a very good running game as well.

Gilmer has turned it up in the playoffs. Won the toughest district in the State. Beat Kilgore by six who played the Ville to a ten point game. Gilmer has multiple weapons on offense. Good fast running backs. A QB who can run and pass. Only weakness I saw was containing the run against Henderson. Brown from Henderson is a great back and its hard to contain him no matter how good your defense is.

Its really hard to gauge this one. Kilgore and Henderson are great offensive teams. Henderson found a way to move the ball. Kilgore not so much but Kilgore's defense kept them in it. Henderson had a shot to win both games.

Here is where I think it comes down to. Navasota's ability to contain the Gilmer run will be key. Henderson ends and OLB overplayed the run all night. I think Navasota will be much more disciplined on defense.

Gilmer defense must get pressure on Sota QB like they have done every team they faced so far. I am not sure the Sota QB will be able to handle the defensive pressure especially since he's not a running QB.

Special teams will be big. I see lots of punts happening in this one. Field position will be key. Henderson kept kicking the ball deep to Gilmer on kick offs which was a mistake. No need to give Gilmer those chances as they can take it to the house. Not sure who has the advantage on Field goals but that could be major as well.

So, IMO, Defense will determine the winner. I think Gilmer will put more pressure on Sota QB than they have seen all year. This will be the difference in the game.

I'm going with Gilmer 21, Sota 20

As much as I would like Sota to win to shutout East Texas this year in 3A, I think Gilmer has the momentum and will win. No personal dislike for East Texas. We have enjoyed the battles with Henderson and Chapel Hill the last two years. Great football from East Texas. Its just time for a change. Just the way it is when you have dominated like East Texas has the last several years.

83Indian
12-16-2012, 08:41 PM

I thought about those extra points as I watched Ville and El Campo make all 15. Chill missed one last year. Alvarado missed one and a two point conversion as well as a fg attempt. Kicking game is critical and will be a factor in this game

buckeyebob
12-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I haven't taken time to read any of this yet. Been out of town with no internet since after Graham game. I don't know how we gonna get this done but my faith in this young team will not waver. What a gritty bunch of kids that have come so far since the season started. 4 state championship games in 9 years. I don't know that I have ever been more proud to say...........WE ARE GILMER!! GO BUCKEYES

Yes indeed!

buckeyebob
12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
I have no idea about the Gilmer kicking game, but Navasota is pretty solid. The field goal kicker is 14 for 14 this year on field goal tries with a long of 48 yards. He has several over 35 yards. I agree that this may make a big difference in this game. That is one area I am comfortable that the Rattlers can count on to perform all of the time.

I don't think we have tried af ield goal this year...he gets most of the xtra points.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Man this is a tough one to call. Sota has been ranked #1 all year. Defense has been impressive all year. Only game they really were in danger was La Marque. The coogs actually had a shot without the turnovers and red zone mistakes. Other than that, really not challenged all year. BellVille gave them a pretty tough game last week as well. Offense is sound. QB is an excellent passer however I think he will get lots of pressure from Gilmer and not being a running QB could be a problem. Sota has a very good running game as well.

Gilmer has turned it up in the playoffs. Won the toughest district in the State. Beat Kilgore by six who played the Ville to a ten point game. Gilmer has multiple weapons on offense. Good fast running backs. A QB who can run and pass. Only weakness I saw was containing the run against Henderson. Brown from Henderson is a great back and its hard to contain him no matter how good your defense is.

Its really hard to gauge this one. Kilgore and Henderson are great offensive teams. Henderson found a way to move the ball. Kilgore not so much but Kilgore's defense kept them in it. Henderson had a shot to win both games.

Here is where I think it comes down to. Navasota's ability to contain the Gilmer run will be key. Henderson ends and OLB overplayed the run all night. I think Navasota will be much more disciplined on defense.

Gilmer defense must get pressure on Sota QB like they have done every team they faced so far. I am not sure the Sota QB will be able to handle the defensive pressure especially since he's not a running QB.

Special teams will be big. I see lots of punts happening in this one. Field position will be key. Henderson kept kicking the ball deep to Gilmer on kick offs which was a mistake. No need to give Gilmer those chances as they can take it to the house. Not sure who has the advantage on Field goals but that could be major as well.

So, IMO, Defense will determine the winner. I think Gilmer will put more pressure on Sota QB than they have seen all year. This will be the difference in the game.

I'm going with Gilmer 21, Sota 20

As much as I would like Sota to win to shutout East Texas this year in 3A, I think Gilmer has the momentum and will win. No personal dislike for East Texas. We have enjoyed the battles with Henderson and Chapel Hill the last two years. Great football from East Texas. Its just time for a change. Just the way it is when you have dominated like East Texas has the last several years.

Navasota's o-line is doing a great job of protecting the QB against very good defenses in La Marque, Bellville and even WOS. I have no idea what type of defense Gilmer has or how they compare to La Marque, but that La Marque team was pretty damn good. I think that Navasota has proven that they are good against the run. However, Navasota has issues with the big pass plays. If we clean that up, it will be a long night for Gilmer. I will say that Gilmer will probably be the most explosive offensive team that we have seen since LaMarque.

What's the story on Henderson, Canton, Chapel Hill, and Bullard? I know that the Henderson score was 41-34 in the region II quarterfinals. And, from what I have heard from forums, that Bullard team was a pretty good team playing in a very tough district. What about the 8-3 Canton team that scored 36 and a down 3-7 Chapel Hill scoring 28? -Before anyone assums anything, I am just curious about what happened in those games. Navasota can be very good on the offensive side of the ball. Besides two or 3 games, that has been the case all year. The fewest points that we have scored all year was 24 against Bellville and the most that we have given up was 20 against LaMarque. As others have pointed out before the game against WOS, something will have to give. And, it will take a really good defensive team to keep Navasota below their season average.

SHSBulldog00
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Navasota by 14+ Ka'Darius Baker will be the difference. I expect an offensive show.

83Indian
12-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Navasota's o-line is doing a great job of protecting the QB against very good defenses in La Marque, Bellville and even WOS. I have no idea what type of defense Gilmer has or how they compare to La Marque, but that La Marque team was pretty damn good. I think that Navasota has proven that they are good against the run. However, Navasota has issues with the big pass plays. If we clean that up, it will be a long night for Gilmer. I will say that Gilmer will probably be the most explosive offensive team that we have seen since LaMarque.

What's the story on Henderson, Canton, Chapel Hill, and Bullard? I know that the Henderson score was 41-34 in the region II quarterfinals. And, from what I have heard form forums, that Bullard team was a pretty good team playing in a very tough district. What about the 8-3 Canton team that scored 36 and a down 3-7 Chapel Hill scoring 28? -Before anyone assums anything, I am just curious about what happened in those games. Navasota can be very good on the offensive side of the ball. Besides two or 3 games, that has been the case all year. The fewest points that we have scored all year was 24 against Bellville and the most that we have given up was 20 against LaMarque. As others have pointed out before the game against WOS, something will have to give. And, it will take a really good defensive team to keep Navasota below their season average.

All I know is the last two years when we played Henderson and Chapel Hill, our defense kept them all in check. Chapel Hill scored 20, Henderson 13 (2011) and 20 (2010). I think Sota can do a similar job. I really don't see this being a shoot out but an epic defensive battle. I may be biased a little bit against your QB since he really is not a running QB at least from the stats and videos I have seen. This is Why I think Jones from Ville is a much bigger threat and better QB and why I think Gilmer will have the advantage. If your Oline can protect, then Sota probably has the advantage. I honestly don't know other than the video's I have seen of Gilmer and the chaos they cause in the backfield. Hopefully your QB decides he can run or this could be a problem for Sota.

buckeyebob
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Gilmer has turned it up in the playoffs. Won the toughest district in the State. Beat Kilgore by six who played the Ville to a ten point game. Gilmer has multiple weapons on offense. Good fast running backs. A QB who can run and pass. Only weakness I saw was containing the run against Henderson. Brown from Henderson is a great back and its hard to contain him no matter how good your defense is. The biggest problem we had was once you caught him, you could not bring him down...uncanny balance

I'm going with Gilmer 21, Sota 20We will take it...1 or 100, we don't care

As much as I would like Sota to win to shutout East Texas this year in 3A, I think Gilmer has the momentum and will win. No personal dislike for East Texas. We have enjoyed the battles with Henderson and Chapel Hill the last two years. Great football from East Texas. Its just time for a change. Just the way it is when you have dominated like East Texas has the last several years.We have not dominated since 2009...it is our turn again...Chapel Hill last, Henderson before that Carthage before that...& you have to play 'em in district play

Any way...it will be fun

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
All I know is the last two years when we played Henderson and Chapel Hill, our defense kept them all in check. Chapel Hill scored 20, Henderson 13 (2011) and 20 (2010). I think Sota can do a similar job. I really don't see this being a shoot out but an epic defensive battle. I may be biased a little bit against your QB since he really is not a running QB at least from the stats and videos I have seen. This is Why I think Jones from Ville is a much bigger threat and better QB and why I think Gilmer will have the advantage. If your Oline can protect, then Sota probably has the advantage. I honestly don't know other than the video's I have seen of Gilmer and the chaos they cause in the backfield. Hopefully your QB decides he can run or this could be a problem for Sota.

He can be a threat, but that is not the strongest part of his game. Had this game been played at the beginning of the year, I would be worried about the Rattler Oline. Trust me, they have come a very long way.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Any way...it will be fun

Hey, I agree... ala 2009.

hollywood
12-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Hope I can make this one!

Gilmer has been lights out in the post season.

Only a few teams in 3A that could legitimately have a shot at beating the Rattlers this season. Gilmer, Stephenville, Kilgore, and La Marque. Rattler's have already beaten one of them, the other 2 are in Div 1 and the other awaits them for the D2 title.

Good luck to both. I know folks in both communities. It's a hard pick...

I'm going with Gilmer by 7 even though I had picked Navasota earlier in the season.

striker
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Can someone post season records, scores, opponents?

lostaussie
12-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Respect for the rattlers from my perspective is immense. I will not run them down by any means. Very much enjoyed the only previous meeting. One of the greatest high school games I have ever seen. With that said........that better go both ways. These kids, staff and town will not be intimidated. We have been here, and we deserve to be here again. We will bring the Buckeye Nation and win lose or draw we will be loud and proud. WE ARE GILMER

movethechain
12-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Can someone post season records, scores, opponents?

Here ya go:

http://www.uiltexas.org/football/state-team/gilmer-2012-2013-football

http://www.uiltexas.org/football/state-team/navasota-2012-2013-football

--

Inmateboss
12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Haha,

Well... Everyone knows Navasota is my 2nd favorite team.... So I'm a little bias... But I've seen many Gilmer teams in the past and have always been impressed.

Before i predict, can i get some stats and scores? i wanna know just how good Gilmer is...

Well lets just say I can personally vouch for them!!! Been watching some film on the Rattlers, and have to admit nice, very nice!!! Granted it was just on film but I liked what I saw!!! Do I think it will be enough to top Gilmer? Only if they play Absolute flawless ball !!! Any team can be beat, but the Rattlers better get to eating them wheaties !!!! Still gonna take Gilmer and still bringing a bus load to the game!!! Best of luck to both teams!!!

Go # 5

Inmateboss
12-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Respect for the rattlers from my perspective is immense. I will not run them down by any means. Very much enjoyed the only previous meeting. One of the greatest high school games I have ever seen. With that said........that better go both ways. These kids, staff and town will not be intimidated. We have been here, and we deserve to be here again. We will bring the Buckeye Nation and win lose or draw we will be loud and proud. WE ARE GILMER

There are a few Steers on this Gilmer bandwagon!!! We will be on the winning side!!! Save me a seat!!!

Go # 5

OldBison75
12-17-2012, 12:48 AM

I can assure you that the Navasota Rattler football team and the fans that matter have a big dose of respect for the Gilmer Buckeyes. I have a lot of faith in my team and believe they can win. That said, I don't see either of these teams giving an inch. Gilmer is always very well coached and has athletes that can stand up to any 3A team in Texas. This game looks like a shootout on paper, but I don't think that is how it will play out. I expect to see two defenses that ultimately make the difference in this game. The team that stops the other from the big plays will win. Just an idea, but i see this game as a late field goal being the difference. I think the Rattler kicker will be the difference. My early prediction is a 24-21 Rattler victory.

I am looking forward to this game with big hopes and a lot of shaky nerves. I honestly believe that the level of respect I have for Gilmer is returned by many Gilmer fans for the Rattlers. I can also say that when we played in Lufkin, I saw a proud fan base that openly showed appreciation for the game and the effort that Navasota showed that day.

regaleagle
12-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Let me just say this....Gilmer don't have any "bad" years, lol. A bad year for Gilmer is not making it to three rounds deep. What that translates to is that all players are on board early and have been exposed to a tradition rich in winning at all costs. The Buckeyes will not relent to the final second, and have pulled out many games in that final half or quarter to win. They will show up for this one just foamin' at the bits to play. It's been a few years....too long for them....since they last played in a SC game, and I don't think they've ever played at Cowboys Stadium. In recent years past, it was either Carthage or Argyle getting the opportunity, but now they are here again. A storm is coming to Texas Stadium named the Gilmer Buckeyes.....so Navasota, I hope your boys are ready for it. I realize your team is top-ranked and should be the favorite here. It's just tough being a favorite against the Buckies, I can tell you that much, lol.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 08:48 AM
The Rattlers will be ready.

gameface
12-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Too much venom in Cowboy snake pit Friday night-sorry Steers!! Rattlers by 21.

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Too much venom in Cowboy snake pit Friday night-sorry Steers!! Rattlers by 21.

Boy your about to be in for a surprise! (Could be to much whiskey in LaGrange?)

lostaussie
12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
The Rattlers will be ready.We would expect nothing less!!

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2012, 09:28 AM
man oh man I dont know what my pick will be for this game yet...torn..so torn

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
man oh man I dont know what my pick will be for this game yet...torn..so torn

Well hopefully you dont pick the Buckeyes! LOL.. you've picked against them most of the season!

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
To the Navasota faithfull, and anyone that would know, just curious about of few of the Navasota players on the 09 team, and where they might have ended up, big #79 Aleon Calhoun, big #74 Jarvis Harrison, 2 of the biggest HSchool lineman, I think ive everseen! and the QB from that year, I think his last name was Hildreth, maybe wore 13? again, just curious if they are still playing ball anywhere?

waterboy
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
To tell you the truth, I have absolutely no idea what to expect in this game, except two teams that will fight to the last second for the ulitmate prize. I don't think this game will be decided until late in the 4th. I may be a blind homer, but I just get this gut feeling that the Buckeyes will not be denied. They have proven themselves over and over and over all season, and improved in every game to the point that they actually get a chance to play for it all. This Buckeye team has continued to raise eyebrows all season, especially once they started hitting their stride in the playoffs. I will NEVER count this group of Buckeyes out of any game. The Rattlers have been the consensus #1 team in the state every since about week 1 or 2, and have proven themselves worthy of that ranking over and over and over. Something will definitely have to give in this one. No matter the outcome, I am as proud of this Buckeye team as I have been ANY Buckeye team I've ever seen. They are a team that if you just look at them you wonder how in the world did they get this far. They won't wow you with their size because they're not very big at all. The one thing I can say is they are quick, fast, strong, and have the heart of a champion. They are as cohesive a unit as you will ever see. They truly are a TEAM, and I am looking forward to a strong performance in the championship game against what many say is the best team in the state. Getcha popcorn ready! This oughta be a humdinger!

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 11:10 AM
To the Navasota faithfull, and anyone that would know, just curious about of few of the Navasota players on the 09 team, and where they might have ended up, big #79 Aleon Calhoun, big #74 Jarvis Harrison, 2 of the biggest HSchool lineman, I think ive everseen! and the QB from that year, I think his last name was Hildreth, maybe wore 13? again, just curious if they are still playing ball anywhere?

#74- Harrison starts on the OL for Texas A&M

Both #79 and Kye Hildreth ended up playing college ball, but I am not sure of where or if they are still playing.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Boy your about to be in for a surprise! (Could be to much whiskey in LaGrange?)

It's the state championship... No more surprises... lol

lostaussie
12-17-2012, 11:14 AM
It's the state championship... No more surprises... lolIs this Navasota's first..........I know you guys had a hard time coming out of that region on several occasions. Can't remember if you ever played for all the marbles?? Maybe in 90's once??

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Is this Navasota's first..........I know you guys had a hard time coming out of that region on several occasions. Can't remember if you ever played for all the marbles?? Maybe in 90's once??

First trip since being rolled by SL Carrol 42-8 back in 1988. And, yes 5 consecutive losses in the quarterfinals...

2007- Liberty Hill* State Champ
2008- La Vega
2009- Gilmer 42-35 * State Champ
2010- Chapel Hill
2011- Chapel Hill* State Champ

lostaussie
12-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Duh me.........found it on home page. Those Carroll teams rolled us a couple times too.:D

3A - Southlake Carroll 42, Navasota 8

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm taking Navasota by 10. I think the Navasota defense is the difference in this one. I would put money on the fact that this will be one of the fastest teams you've played all year long.

Does anyone know if you can change a prediction? I zigged when I should have zagged and selected the wrong team.

waterboy
12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Duh me.........found it on home page. Those Carroll teams rolled us a couple times too.:D

3A - Southlake Carroll 42, Navasota 8
We've only played Southlake Carroll one time and lost 42-0 in 1991, I believe.

hollywood
12-17-2012, 12:28 PM
If Navasota's offense is as advertised, they will score the points. High powered offense that can put up the points. Gilmer reminds me a lot of Kilgore. Very good speed on both sides of the ball and a stingy defense. Offensively, they utilize their speed by getting the ball into the hands of their playmakers as many times as possible a lot like Kilgore. Speed all over the field. To counter that is to have a defense as fast and swarms the ball to keep containment and/or have an offense that scores on virtually every possession and count of your defense making 1-2 stops. Navasota's defense is better than Stephenville's IMO but not sure about their offense. Only reason mentioning that is due to how Kilgore's team is comparable to Gilmer. If Navasota can score on virtaully every possession, then this game could be hard for Gilmer to win. But if Gilmer can get 1-2 stops and control the ball offensively, they have a great shot at another SC.

Going to be a classic for sure!! Cowboy Stadium will be in a constent rumble. Hope to make this one.

SHSBulldog00
12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I expect a high scoring game like 49-35 Navasota

ronwx5x
12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
I have seen Navasota play 5 times this year. In every game but one the Rattlers were dominent on offense and the passing game exceeded the running game. I have not seen Gilmer play this year. If Navasota's QB, Baker, insists on trying to throw long pass after long pass as in the Bellville game, they will be susceptible to three and out or an interception to a good pass defense. If the Rattlers had stuck more to the screen and short out passes this would have been a blowout. I was impressed with the offense in every game except one, Bellville. If Bellvile had been able to move the ball on offense, this would have been a tough one for the Rattlers and was still a tough one for the Rattlers offense. With that said, good luck to both teams.

regaleagle
12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Don't worry about Gilmer's D making at least 2 stops on Navasota....they will. They've done it all year against some pretty salty competition. Navasota should be worried about the spider monkeys in their backfield and on those screen passes. They'll be all over it. Navasota may need to stretch the Buckeye defense with some medium to long throws early to keep the Buckeyes honest. Otherwise, this game will be going Gilmer's direction little by little until before ya know it, they've taken the lead. That's kinda the way it can go against this type of team. And they are very opportunistic.....very well coached.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I have seen Navasota play 5 times this year. In every game but one the Rattlers were dominent on offense and the passing game exceeded the running game. I have not seen Gilmer play this year. If Navasota's QB, Baker, insists on trying to throw long pass after long pass as in the Bellville game, they will be susceptible to three and out or an interception to a good pass defense. If the Rattlers had stuck more to the screen and short out passes this would have been a blowout. I was impressed with the offense in every game except one, Bellville. If Bellvile had been able to move the ball on offense, this would have been a tough one for the Rattlers and was still a tough one for the Rattlers offense. With that said, good luck to both teams.

I agree. I am not sure what was the reasoning for all the deep shots.. You can't force the ball.. Take what the defense is giving you. Baker is a fast learner.. I sure hope that these three tough defenses that he has seen from La Marque, WOS and Bellville served as a learning curve.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Don't worry about Gilmer's D making at least 2 stops on Navasota....they will. They've done it all year against some pretty salty competition. Navasota should be worried about the spider monkeys in their backfield and on those screen passes. They'll be all over it. Navasota may need to stretch the Buckeye defense with some medium to long throws early to keep the Buckeyes honest. Otherwise, this game will be going Gilmer's direction little by little until before ya know it, they've taken the lead. That's kinda the way it can go against this type of team. And they are very opportunistic.....very well coached.

No disrepect intended towards you or Gilmer, but we've heard this all season. Navasota has been playing excellent ball all year. So, whatever it is that Gilmer will throw at them, they probably have seen it, if not, they will adjust. Don't get me wrong, but LaMarque, WOS, and Bellville were not cupcakes on defense. And, there is a reason why Navasota has only given up 20 points at the most in a ball game. When people speak of Navasota, they tend to forget how good their defense is or they just really don't know. The defense won the LaMarque and the Bellville games.

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Screens worked against Bellville because we elected to drop 8 into coverage all night long. Had they played their normal coverage, I am sure the medium to long passes would have worked just fine. Bellville was very opportunistic all season long (with a +26 turnover margin) and Navasota wouldn't make many mistakes in that regard.

garciap77
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Los chagos de araña on this one! GO chagos de araña!!!:cheerl:

hollywood
12-17-2012, 01:17 PM
No disrepect intended towards you or Gilmer, but we've heard this all season. Navasota has been playing excellent ball all year. So, whatever it is that Gilmer will throw at them, they probably have seen it, if not, they will adjust. Don't get me wrong, but LaMarque, WOS, and Bellville were not cupcakes on defense. And, there is a reason why Navasota has only given up 20 points at the most in a ball game. When people speak of Navasota, they tend to forget how good their defense is or they just really don't know. The defense won the LaMarque and the Bellville games.

HEMO, you know I respect Navasota as well as Gilmer. Navasota has been outstanding all season and will continue to be this Friday as well. I agree that WOS, LM, BV were all solid on defenses and teams as a whole. Navasota has a very good defense too and only having allowed 20 pts at the most in 1 game sounds a lot like Kilgore's defense. Gilmer was that team to score Kilgore's max allowed points against them until they played Stephenville. It took a power spread offense to exploit them. Gilmer can put up the points as diverse as their offense is. Navasota appears to have that type of offense as well. Now if Gilmer is as fast as La Marque, in which I think they are, this could be very challenging for the Rattler's because Gilmer has a lot more discipline. That's a scary combination... disciplined speed. Baker will have to make his reads quickly and be able to run some as well.

regaleagle
12-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Hey, somebody post that Stat Analyzer for this game....I don't know the website to go to.

Aggie98
12-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Hey, somebody post that Stat Analyzer for this game....I don't know the website to go to.

Adjusted Stats has Navasota winning 39-25.

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm taking Navasota by 10. I think the Navasota defense is the difference in this one. I would put money on the fact that this will be one of the fastest teams you've played all year long.

Does anyone know if you can change a prediction? I zigged when I should have zagged and selected the wrong team.

Well your bet, would be waisted, like your zig, where you shoulda zagged in other words, with the likes of Atlanta, Gladewater, Daingerfield, Liberty Eylau, Tatum, Chapel Hill, Henderson, Kilgore, Jacksonville, Carthage, Gilmer faces very fast teams nearly every Friday night and the Buckeyes, currnetly own the district 100 meters crown, in the coveted 16 3a District of Doom last year, he is soph., runningback for the Buckeyes #21 Chris Boyd! He is one of 4 rb's that have good track speed, all run down hill very well and are hard to bring down! Speed is abundant in the Pineywoods of East Texas!

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Well your bet, would be waisted, like your zig, where you shoulda zagged in other words, with the likes of Atlanta, Gladewater, Daingerfield, Liberty Eylau, Tatum, Chapel Hill, Henderson, Kilgore, Jacksonville, Carthage, Gilmer faces very fast teams nearly every Friday night and the Buckeyes, currnetly own the district 100 meters crown, in the coveted 16 3a District of Doom last year, he is soph., runningback for the Buckeyes #21 Chris Boyd! He is one of 4 rb's that have good track speed, all run down hill very well and are hard to bring down! Speed is abundant in the Pineywoods of East Texas!

Here we go again. Navasota has never had an issue with speed, never!! But, since Navasota lies to the west of the Piney Woods, speed just magically stops? I think that you have never seen Navasota play, otherwise, East Texas Speed wouldn't have even been mentioned.

waterboy
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
This game will not be about speed, it will be about execution. Navasota has never been a team that has lacked speed. That I can tell you for sure. I look for this game to be decided by who can stop whom when the game is on the line. Both teams have obviously been able to do that in the playoffs, so something will have to give. It oughta be a good 'un!

MajorApplehorn
12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, I said last week that Gilmer would beat Graham by at least 3 td's. They handled them quite easily, just as predicted.

I also said Navasota will beat Gilmer by at least 2 td's. No reason to go any other way. Navasota is the better team.

I still think Navasota would beat Stephenville, 70 pts or not...

Tejastrue
12-17-2012, 03:41 PM

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/tools/txhsfbmatchup.php?team1=Gilmer&site=@&team2=Navasota

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Here we go again. Navasota has never had an issue with speed, never!! But, since Navasota lies to the west of the Piney Woods, speed just magically stops? I think that you have never seen Navasota play, otherwise, East Texas Speed wouldn't have even been mentioned.

Hemo, seriously did you read, the post that your replying about? Now did I insinuate anywhere, that Navasota would have an issue with speed?, NO!, I commented on the post of whitlightning, that he bet, Navasota would be the fastest team, Gilmer has seen! (That would be a big NO! also) please read before you snap, lol.....

(We know what Navasota brings to the dance, this aint our first encounter with them,,, plus, they have the enrollment to be loaded everyyear, especially for a 3A team!)

MajorApplehorn
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
For my Graham boys:

Here is what I posted about your Gilmer game with Inmateboss's reactions after the game:

Me:

"Dude, we can do this all day. The bottom line is, come Friday night, you will go home saying, "Well, crap.""

Inmateboss:

"Holy crap is all I can say!!! I wish we had played better but I don't think we could have beaten y'all if we had played flawless football !!! But I will say this, we are bringing a bunch of our players and dads and were going wear our Graham Steers stuff and sit on the Gilmer side and cheer y'all on to a state championship !!! Y'all earned our support and the best team did win!!! See y'all at the Game!!! Go Gilmer!!!"

Go # 5

Just sayin...

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Hemo, seriously did you read, the post that your replying about? Now did I insinuate anywhere, that Navasota would have an issue with speed?, NO!, I commented on the post of whitlightning, that he bet, Navasota would be the fastest team, Gilmer has seen! (That would be a big NO! also) please read before you snap, lol.....

(We know what Navasota brings to the dance, this aint our first encounter with them,,, plus, they have the enrollment to be loaded everyyear, especially for a 3A team!)

My bad... Reading in between working... I thought you were going to go on and on about East Texas Speed.

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 03:53 PM

I guess you'll just have to wait and see then.....won't ya. I'll let you get back to me after the game and tell me I was blowing smoke. I stand by it....One of the fastest teams you've played this year.

That's fantastic about your 100 meter district champ....by the way. I see that he made it to the regional finals. Maybe this year he can run with the big boys at state. See Bellville had state track participants on their team and Navasota was faster....granted not the 100M, but the 400 relay. Glad they have good track speed, but this is played on grass/turf. Track stars only work out well in space...I just don't see Navasota giving it to them.

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Now GTown....did you read the post that you're are replying to HEMO about replying to me? I just lost myself....lol. I said one of the fastest...not the fastest. I haven't seen any of the teams that Gilmer has played...I just think that Navasota will be ONE of the fastest. If I had seen them all play...I could say that Navasota IS the fastest team, but I havent...so I cant.

Manso/V8
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Haha,

How many predictions are you going to make on this game?

Be sure and give each prediction a name, like A, B, C, etc, so after the game when you brag about how close your prediction was, we will know which prediction you are talking about!

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 04:11 PM
I guess you'll just have to wait and see then.....won't ya. I'll let you get back to me after the game and tell me I was blowing smoke. I stand by it....One of the fastest teams you've played this year.

That's fantastic about your 100 meter district champ....by the way. I see that he made it to the regional finals. Maybe this year he can run with the big boys at state. See Bellville had state track participants on their team and Navasota was faster....granted not the 100M, but the 400 relay. Glad they have good track speed, but this is played on grass/turf. Track stars only work out well in space...I just don't see Navasota giving it to them.

Ok crackerhead, just fyi, nobody's tooting anybody's horn, on this side, we are a young team, and just thankfull, to be here, Navasota opened at #1, and beleive me, from this side, we know what our challenge is, but your comment on the Rattlers being the fastest team, we've faced, I seriously doubt it, now the fastest that executes well, well yea that's a wait and see,, and if you are that, I'll be the first to tell ya, I call them like i see them, you just be sure and give us the same response, cause I got a feeling, your about to get a few surprises of your own! We expect your A game,, and we'll bring ours,, and then there's no excuses!

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Whitelightning,,,,Be my guest, they are all on youtube, Gilmer & Kilgore,,,,Gilmer & Henderson 1&2, (Make note of #3 for Henderson, he's the cat's meow, beleive it), Gilmer & Atlanta 1 & 2 ( Corian Webster #9 D1 recruit rb, #5 also, these are the whole games, less timeouts , and halftime, the good with the bad, not just great highlights! its along week, go and enjoy!

PS if you bring some whitelightning, ill met on you on the D'field side , well watch that game, and have a few, so by the time Gilmer & Navasota plays,,,you'll be rootn for the Buckeyes, and I the Rattlers.....singing the Jerry Lewis song ooooohhhh whitelightnnneeeennn!

regaleagle
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Lots of teams these days have some speed burners on them. And some teams have more than others. Speed DOES count in football, but usually when you get to this level, most teams are reasonably "speedy". What Gilmer really has other than speed is quickness to the ball. They swarm all that speed at every position to get at the qb, or to stop a run either up the middle or at the corners, or to defend the pass. It comes into play in the kicking/return games also. The depth of the "quickness" at every position really plays into their whole game plan, as does the no huddle offense. Gilmer is all about their quickness on both sides of the ball. You take talented athletes that have been coached to play in a certain way using this speed to an advantage, and it's one more obstacle for the opponent to deal with and gameplan against. That's what the Gilmer and East Texas posters mean about the speed of this Buckeye Bunch.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Lots of teams these days have some speed burners on them. And some teams have more than others. Speed DOES count in football, but usually when you get to this level, most teams are reasonably "speedy". What Gilmer really has other than speed is quickness to the ball. They swarm all that speed at every position to get at the qb, or to stop a run either up the middle or at the corners, or to defend the pass. It comes into play in the kicking/return games also. The depth of the "quickness" at every position really plays into their whole game plan, as does the no huddle offense. Gilmer is all about their quickness on both sides of the ball. You take talented athletes that have been coached to play in a certain way using this speed to an advantage, and it's one more obstacle for the opponent to deal with and gameplan against. That's what the Gilmer and East Texas posters mean about the speed of this Buckeye Bunch.

You will see speed/quickness from Navasota, not only from one, two or three players but as a unit, on both sides of the ball. As I have stated earlier, they sound like mirror images of each other. IMO, it will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes and who can capitalize on those mistakes.

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Ok crackerhead, just fyi, nobody's tooting anybody's horn, on this side, we are a young team, and just thankfull, to be here, Navasota opened at #1, and beleive me, from this side, we know what our challenge is, but your comment on the Rattlers being the fastest team, we've faced, I seriously doubt it, now the fastest that executes well, well yea that's a wait and see,, and if you are that, I'll be the first to tell ya, I call them like i see them, you just be sure and give us the same response, cause I got a feeling, your about to get a few surprises of your own! We expect your A game,, and we'll bring ours,, and then there's no excuses!

Crackerhead? Grow up. Name calling won't get you anywhere with me. Don't make Gilmer out to be the best thing since sliced bread and when I make a comment about Navasota's speed....you crumble and "play the we are just happy to be here card." Sounds like you're OK with losing, as long as you got a ticket to the dance. I hate coming in 2nd to anyone...I see it's ok in your eyes.

Next....I never said FASTEST. Read the post again. Now read it slower.....slower. Do you understand now?

Finally, I won't get any surprises. My season is done. I am pulling for Navasota because my consolation prize is saying that my team was eliminated by the State Champs. Or I guess...using your logic...I could just say I am soooo happy to have made it this far.

regaleagle
12-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Since there will be sooo much speed on the field at Texas Stadium at 3 pm on Friday, I guess the fans should expect to see some breakaways and big plays from each team. This should be an exciting game to see. Maybe I should wear my Black and Red leather signature Dale Earnhart hat that is in plastic and has never been worn, LOL.

pirate4state
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I hope this turns out to be a game like the 2004 state game!!! :cheerl:

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Crackerhead? Grow up. Name calling won't get you anywhere with me. Don't make Gilmer out to be the best thing since sliced bread and when I make a comment about Navasota's speed....you crumble and "play the we are just happy to be here card." Sounds like you're OK with losing, as long as you got a ticket to the dance. I hate coming in 2nd to anyone...I see it's ok in your eyes.

Next....I never said FASTEST. Read the post again. Now read it slower.....slower. Do you understand now?

Finally, I won't get any surprises. My season is done. I am pulling for Navasota because my consolation prize is saying that my team was eliminated by the State Champs. Or I guess...using your logic...I could just say I am soooo happy to have made it this far.

Hey easy there drinking buddy, I only give my friends nicknames, ask anybody that knows me, I exspect you to give me one, just not A$$ whole, my wife holds those honors, so beins your kinda of a neutral guy,,, we still on for a couple of snorts!.....

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Since there will be sooo much speed on the field at Texas Stadium at 3 pm on Friday, I guess the fans should expect to see some breakaways and big plays from each team. This should be an exciting game to see. Maybe I should wear my Black and Red leather signature Dale Earnhart hat that is in plastic and has never been worn, LOL.

Dang right, regaleagle, gonna sound like Texas Mota Speedway in there! (PS i think i got Whitelightnin on the hook for some of the south Texas's fine corn liquor, so if you show up with some of that 100 year old scotch, I'll call the race turn by turn!.)

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey easy there drinking buddy, I only give my friends nicknames, ask anybody that knows me, I exspect you to give me one, just not A$$ whole, my wife holds those honors, so beins your kinda of a neutral guy,,, we still on for a couple of snorts!.....

Then I want a different one. And what exactly do you mean by snorts?

waterboy
12-17-2012, 05:00 PM
This game will probably be one of those back and forth, medium scoring games, with momentum shifts, big defensive stops, and a few crucial offensive conversions. I can't see either team running away with this one. I'm still going to say that Gilmer will do what they've done all season, and find a way to win. It's just a gut feeling.

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:02 PM
To tell you the truth, I have absolutely no idea what to expect in this game, except two teams that will fight to the last second for the ulitmate prize. I don't think this game will be decided until late in the 4th. I may be a blind homer, but I just get this gut feeling that the Buckeyes will not be denied. They have proven themselves over and over and over all season, and improved in every game to the point that they actually get a chance to play for it all. This Buckeye team has continued to raise eyebrows all season, especially once they started hitting their stride in the playoffs. I will NEVER count this group of Buckeyes out of any game. The Rattlers have been the consensus #1 team in the state every since about week 1 or 2, and have proven themselves worthy of that ranking over and over and over. Something will definitely have to give in this one. No matter the outcome, I am as proud of this Buckeye team as I have been ANY Buckeye team I've ever seen. They are a team that if you just look at them you wonder how in the world did they get this far. They won't wow you with their size because they're not very big at all. The one thing I can say is they are quick, fast, strong, and have the heart of a champion. They are as cohesive a unit as you will ever see. They truly are a TEAM, and I am looking forward to a strong performance in the championship game against what many say is the best team in the state. Getcha popcorn ready! This oughta be a humdinger!

Now that was a mouth full & well said!

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:05 PM

Just deny you ever made it...that's what I do.

1971Coogs
12-17-2012, 05:05 PM
This is a very long thread, and I haven't went back and read all the comments.
Has anyone made a prediction on the score ?

And then I would suggest some type of wager? A plate of crow maybe ?

1971Coogs
12-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Does Gilmer have a good field goal kicker ? I've personally seen Navasota....he's got a rocker launcher for a leg.

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Then I want a different one. And what exactly do you mean by snorts?

Yep, i see where that one, could get misconstrued, sample your corn liquor? How bout that? Uncle Jed!

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:14 PM

You forgot to mention that we are 58-1 in district play (last 12 years)...yuuup, the 1 was Carthrage in 2010...no team is perfect...the Buckeyes better have their Big Boy Pants on Friday.

waterboy
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Does Gilmer have a good field goal kicker ? I've personally seen Navasota....he's got a rocker launcher for a leg.

Our kicker has a very good leg, and is an expert at the high pooch kick, which keeps opponents' speed from becoming an issue on most returns. He doesn't have the strongest leg, but he is also very accurate from about 40 yards in on field goals, and doesn't get rattled. He's just rarely used because the offense usually scores TDs in the redzone, and Coach Traylor gambles a lot. There are times I just wished he would take the points, but his gambles pay off more often than not.

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
My bad... Reading in between working... I thought you were going to go on and on about East Texas Speed.

I can talk about East Texas Speed...

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Whitelightning,,,,Be my guest, they are all on youtube, Gilmer & Kilgore,,,,Gilmer & Henderson 1&2, (Make note of #3 for Henderson, he's the cat's meow, beleive it), Gilmer & Atlanta 1 & 2 ( Corian Webster #9 D1 recruit rb, #5 also, these are the whole games, less timeouts , and halftime, the good with the bad, not just great highlights! its along week, go and enjoy!

PS if you bring some whitelightning, ill met on you on the D'field side , well watch that game, and have a few, so by the time Gilmer & Navasota plays,,,you'll be rootn for the Buckeyes, and I the Rattlers.....singing the Jerry Lewis song ooooohhhh whitelightnnneeeennn!

High Jack Allert: Monsta Brown & his brother were in a wreck thei weekend...both admitted to hospital & dismissed...undergoing tests.

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:29 PM

Regal has been listening to our BS long enough...you are now a Buckeye...he understands East Texas Speed Kills...PM me so I can get you the official Orange & Black

whitelightning5
12-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Yep, i see where that one, could get misconstrued, sample your corn liquor? How bout that? Uncle Jed!

That works. Why don't you just call me Popcorn?

buckeyebob
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM

Nope...no need to have one...never in that position...

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
You forgot to mention that we are 58-1 in district play (last 12 years)...yuuup, the 1 was Carthrage in 2010...no team is perfect...the Buckeyes better have their Big Boy Pants on Friday.

Yea we say that everyweek, they hav'nt forget them so far!.... I look for Traylor and crew to dial it up for this one! AKA Kilgore & Gilmer, they run as well as Kilgore, but they tend to sling it alittle more....Gonna be a shootout!

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
That works. Why don't you just call me Popcorn?

A man after my heart, I own 2 of them buckets for the movies, case I forget one! So getcha Popcorn ready! Popcorn! nut'n better than a shot of whitelitnin, and a bowl of Orval Redinpopper!.....

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Nope...no need to have one...never in that position...

He nailed 2 pretty gooduns against Kilgo! ill go check' n see, an make sure my assessment is correct! Gotta love youtube!

waterboy
12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
He nailed 2 pretty gooduns against Kilgo! ill go check' n see, an make sure my assessment is correct! Gotta love youtube!

No need to look. Yes, he nailed two in that game. As tough as it was to come by points in that one, he took the points. Pablin Olivares has been our kicker since he was a freshman. He's a senior this year. I remember his nailing a 39-yarder with :09 left to beat Carthrage last year for the D of D title. Yes, he is accurate, and good under pressure, no doubt about it.

GTownballer
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
No need to look. Yes, he nailed two in that game. As tough as it was to come by points in that one, he took the points. Pablin Olivares has been our kicker since he was a freshman. He's a senior this year. I remember his nailing a 39-yarder with :09 left to beat Carthrage last year for the D of D title. Yes, he is accurate, and good under pressure, no doubt about it.

Confirmation complete! :iagree:

SilsbeeFan
12-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Navasota could beat the Cowboys right now.........They are on fire !!!!

zebrablue2
12-17-2012, 07:39 PM

Just remember, the Snakes are a machine.. That is all!!!

SHSBulldog00
12-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Just remember, the Snakes are a machine.. That is all!!!

A well oiled machine

waterboy
12-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Hopefully we can throw a "spider monkey" wrench into that "well-oiled machine".:D;)

Deuce
12-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I am kind of conflicted on this one. I said I would root for Gilmer if they beat Graham, but if Navasota wins I will be the first person ever to win both brackets of the pick em contest. Well, I won't go back on my word. GO BUCKEYES!! Turn the spider monkeys loose!

waterboy
12-18-2012, 09:34 AM
I am kind of conflicted on this one. I said I would root for Gilmer if they beat Graham, but if Navasota wins I will be the first person ever to win both brackets of the pick em contest. Well, I won't go back on my word. GO BUCKEYES!! Turn the spider monkeys loose!

:clap::clap::clap: A man of his word............I like that!

Everybody knows that Navasota is a VERY good team, and they will be the favorite to win this one. I still say that if the Buckeyes EXECUTE the game plan Coach Traylor and his staff are putting together the Buckeyes can pull the upset.

pirate4state
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Navasota could beat the Cowboys right now.........They are on fire !!!!

LOL

I love me some Buckeyes, but the last time they went up against a "well oiled machine" in the title game they lost big time! Hope it doesn't happen again! As a fan of HS football I just want to see an exciting (injury free) game! GO BUCKEYES!

bobcat1
12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
As a fan of HS football I just want to see an exciting (injury free) game!

:iagree::2thumbsup

buff4ever
12-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I have said it all year, and I stand by it still. It is Navasota's year. They win this game by 10 with the offense taking a knee at the end.

HEMOTOXIC
12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
For your reading enjoyment...

http://www.brazossports.com/football/article_bd77296e-9015-579e-a288-14c2b467eeb4.html

For three coaches, Navasota's run to state title game began in 1989

Among the hundreds of high school football coaches who will tell their players this week about the importance of playing for a state championship, few will be able to speak from the heart like three at Navasota.

The Rattlers' journey to Friday's Class 3A Division II title game against Gilmer has unleashed a flood of memories -- some good, others bad -- for Navasota head coach Lee Fedora and assistant coaches Clif Groce and Ray Kavanaugh. They were teammates on the A&M Consolidated football team that lost in the 1989 Class 4A championship game to Tyler Chapel Hill 14-0.

Navasota defensive coordinator Bill Hoppers was a member of Ross Rogers' coaching staff at Consol in 1989. Two years later, Hoppers helped guide the Tigers to a state championship when Consol defeated Carthage 35-16.

For Fedora, Groce and Kavanaugh, 1989 was their last taste of a state final until this season.

"It still stings," said Kavanaugh, who was a senior linebacker on the 1989 team. "We sit around at reunions or somebody's wedding, and that game comes up."

All three former Consol players went on to athletic success. Fedora played baseball for Texas A&M and has grown into one of the better-known high school football coaches in the state. Kavanaugh became defensive coordinator at Consol, helping his alma mater reach the state semifinal round in 2005. Groce played football at Texas A&M and spent six years in the National Football League.

That backdrop makes their feelings about playing for the state championship more compelling. It's clear in the case of Groce, who was a member of the Indianapolis Colts team that played Pittsburgh in the 1996 AFC championship game, coming within one victory of the Super Bowl.

"This is bigger than that AFC championship game to me," said Groce, who coaches the Rattlers' running backs. "People don't understand that, but I've seen what a championship does for you.

"You won a Southwest Conference championship and you played in the NFL, but at the end of the day you're from the state of Texas. You did not win your state championship, and that was bigger than the AFC championship game."

Fedora was a standout on the A&M baseball team that reached the College World Series in 1993. The Aggies, like this year's Navasota football team, attained a No. 1 ranking. However, A&M went 1-2 at Omaha and had its national title hopes dashed.

"Not finishing [in 1989] still sticks in your stomach," said Fedora, who was a senior receiver for Consol in '89. "That's a taste that you're going to have in your mouth the rest of your life. It was a great run, but we just didn't finish it. It was kind of the same feeling I had after the 1993 season when we went to the College World Series and didn't finish the job there."

Not much was expected of the 1989 Consol team after the Tigers had gone 2-7-1 the previous season as head coach Ross Rogers took over a struggling program. The Tigers used a high-powered offense that featured quarterback Tommy Preston, Groce and Fedora, along with a rugged defense, to win their first 14 games.

The 4A championship game was played in the Houston Astrodome. Fedora remembers that it felt odd starting a game at noon.

"I talk to our kids about that year all the time," Fedora said. "The biggest thing I tell them about is being focused. I remember with that '89 team, seeing some guys talking about what size ring they were going to get. Looking back at it, I wish that never was brought up, because you're not going to get a ring unless you take care of your business."

Groce still aches over that unfinished business.

"I enjoyed every moment of the playoffs and having the undefeated season in our first year with the new home stadium," Groce said. "But the reality of it is, when you get the second-place medal it's almost like running a marathon and never crossing the [finish] line. It's an empty feeling in your body.

"I still have that empty feeling. And it's been going on for 23 years."

This will be Navasota's second appearance in the state championship round. In 1988, the Rattlers lost to Southlake Carroll 42-8 in the 3A final.

Fedora reached the state semifinals once in his first head coaching stop at Rogers. His Navasota teams were eliminated in the state quarterfinal round in each of the last six seasons.

"This is something you don't take for granted," Fedora said. "Right now it is my once-in-a-lifetime experience as a coach."

Kavanaugh, who works with Navasota's defensive tackles, remembers missing a tackle on a counter play in the championship game against Chapel Hill. He doesn't want any of this year's Rattlers to live with similar regrets.

"You don't want to be 40 years old, realizing if I had made that catch or made that tackle, it could have been different," Kavanaugh said. "When you live and breathe after-school activities and athletics like we do, you're not going to forget that stuff."

PS... it was actually 5 consecutive loses not 6.

waterboy
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
^^^^^ Nice story on your coaches. ^^^^^

It seems there is a mental block in winning it all for them. I hope they get their state championship one day..........just not THIS year!

buckeyebob
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Displaying very large ones...Thanks!

lostaussie
12-18-2012, 07:41 PM
I been fishing all day............wat I miss :D

lostaussie
12-18-2012, 08:31 PM
LOL

I love me some Buckeyes, but the last time they went up against a "well oiled machine" in the title game they lost big time! Hope it doesn't happen again! As a fan of HS football I just want to see an exciting (injury free) game! GO BUCKEYES!we be ready friday baby............LH was not our kind of opponent. We may get beat but we can play with nav!

poisoned10
12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
I been fishing all day............wat I miss :D

Nothing apparently. 10 posts in the last 24 hours for the state game. That's pathetic.

lostaussie
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Nothing apparently. 10 posts in the last 24 hours for the state game. That's pathetic.saw that..............bummer

lostaussie
12-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Nothing apparently. 10 posts in the last 24 hours for the state game. That's pathetic.well how about a good ole.................WE GOT SCOREBOARD ON NAVASOTA:D maybe that blow somebody drawers up :D

poisoned10
12-18-2012, 08:54 PM
well how about a good ole.................WE GOT SCOREBOARD ON NAVASOTA:D maybe that blow somebody drawers up :D

Just in case any of they forgot . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aV3s2Qxim0

striker
12-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Here you go. I'm curious to hear what happened in the Prestonwood Christian game in Week 2? Any insight as to why Gilmer had issues with this team?

bobcat1
12-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Nothing apparently. 10 posts in the last 24 hours for the state game. That's pathetic.I had difficulty getting on the board. Maybe that's it....:thinking:

buckeyebob
12-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Here you go. I'm curious to hear what happened in the Prestonwood Christian game in Week 2? Any insight as to why Gilmer had issues with this team?

They were huge, well coached, had a Div 1 QB, a well oiled machine...Wk 1, they donkey stomped Henderson...most of our guys had 1 varsity game under their belt (been playing on Thursday nights)...humble pie...good for 'em...different today.

1971Coogs
12-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Just in case any of they forgot . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aV3s2Qxim0nice camerawork

waterboy
12-19-2012, 08:46 AM

You want insight into that game? Here goes.....

The Buckeyes had to replace all but one skill player (a receiver) and a couple of linemen on offense, and four key starters on defense. We moved Tanner Barr from safety to QB, making it five defensive starters gone. Tanner was a ball hawk last year on defense with 10 interceptions and countless PBUs. Tanner hadn't played on offense for a couple of years, so his playbook was limited. Youth was another factor. There are only five seniors that get any significant playing time, six if you include the kicker. With the limited playbook, the youth and inexperience, and playing against a senior laden, experienced, and extremely talented Prestonwood squad, plus numerous dropped passes, turnovers, and lack of execution on our part, we were bound to lose that one. Our team definitely didn't like the taste of defeat, and worked harder on getting better. We started executing better in all phases of the game, though we weren't near where we needed to be. The further the season progressed the better this team got. They started gelling once they snatched a couple of victories from the jaws of defeat. The Buckeyes have had a few come from behind victories, played in close games, and overcame in all those since that second game of the season. If you would've asked most people who saw this team early in the season, you would've never have thought they had a chance to win it all, me included. They have continued to get better and better every game this season. The defense gelled first, then the offense, which really didn't start gelling until the playoffs started. We saw flashes of the capability of the offense being good, but it was inconsistent throughout the regular season. Now they operate like a machine......:D

lostaussie
12-19-2012, 08:50 AM
You want insight into that game? Here goes.....

The Buckeyes had to replace all but one skill player (a receiver) and a couple of linemen on offense, and four key starters on defense. We moved Tanner Barr from safety to QB, making it five defensive starters gone. Tanner was a ball hawk last year on defense with 10 interceptions and countless PBUs. Tanner hadn't played on offense for a couple of years, so his playbook was limited. Youth was another factor. There are only five seniors that get any significant playing time, six if you include the kicker. With the limited playbook, the youth and inexperience, and playing against a senior laden, experienced, and extremely talented Prestonwood squad, plus numerous dropped passes, turnovers, and lack of execution on our part, we were bound to lose that one. Our team definitely didn't like the taste of defeat, and worked harder on getting better. We started executing better in all phases of the game, though we weren't near where we needed to be. The further the season progressed the better this team got. They started gelling once they snatched a couple of victories from the jaws of defeat. The Buckeyes have had a few come from behind victories, played in close games, and overcame in all those since that second game of the season. If you would've asked most people who saw this team early in the season, you would've never have thought they had a chance to win it all, me included. They have continued to get better and better every game this season. The defense gelled first, then the offense, which really didn't start gelling until the playoffs started. We saw flashes of the capability of the offense being good, but it was inconsistent throughout the regular season. Now they operate like a machine......:Dyea.............what he said:D

waterboy
12-19-2012, 11:21 AM
yea.............what he said:D

Dang, this place is dead! This IS the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game thread, isn't it? How many people on here have seen both teams play in person? What do you think will happen?

Hello! Hello! Hello!

There's an echo in here!:doh:

hookandladder
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Where did all the Navasota poster's go to, did you guy's run them off. What's up.

waterboy
12-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Where did all the Navasota poster's go to, did you guy's run them off. What's up.

Who knows? Maybe they're watching game film, and drawing up plays for their coaches.......:doh:

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
A Navasota defense that is as good if not better than Kilgore's coupled with a Navasota offense that is good... not Stephenville good, but very good... VS. a Gilmer defense that has gotten better over the season but still gives up a lot of points.. Coupled with and a Gilmer offense that can score with the best...

Should be interesting...

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM

The site was down yesterday and just came back up sometime this morning..

waterboy
12-19-2012, 11:37 AM
The site was down yesterday and just came back up sometime this morning..

This site wasn't down. Maybe it was just down in Navasota. Glad to see y'all back.

waterboy
12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
A Navasota defense that is as good if not better than Kilgore's coupled with a Navasota offense that is good... not Stephenville good, but very good... VS. a Gilmer defense that has gotten better over the season but still gives up a lot of points.. Coupled with and a Gilmer offense that can score with the best...

Should be interesting...
Good deal. It looks like you have it all figured out. It should be interesting......for sure.

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Good deal. It looks like you have it all figured out. It should be interesting......for sure.

Just an observation... Numbers don't lie.. or do they?

waterboy
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Just an observation... Numbers don't lie.. or do they?

They can, if you look a little deeper into the differences in matchups, but you never really know, do you? This matchup will probably look a lot different that what any of us think it will look like. I honestly don't know what to expect, except that two teams will duke it out for a title, leaving it all on the field.

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 11:44 AM
This site wasn't down. Maybe it was just down in Navasota. Glad to see y'all back.

It actually could be down.. I work in the Woodlands...

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 11:56 AM
They can, if you look a little deeper into the differences in matchups, but you never really know, do you? This matchup will probably look a lot different that what any of us think it will look like. I honestly don't know what to expect, except that two teams will duke it out for a title, leaving it all on the field.

Something that we agree in... No one knows what will happen...

hookandladder
12-19-2012, 12:20 PM
After the way the games played out last weekend , I do have some thought's of what I think will happen however I do not want to ruffle any feather's. I have not ever seen Gilmer play a live game however after watching what Stephenville did to EC , I will say I do not think anyone could beat Stephenville this year. Just my honest opinion however we will never know because they will never play each other this year, Good Luck to both teams.

OldBison75
12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
One thing we do know---this Friday afternoon, there will be a helluva game in Cowboy's Stadium. Two very good teams with two very good coaching staffs will match up in what I believe will be the best playoff match-up for the State Championship. It just don't get any better than this!!!!!!

OldBison75
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
After the way the games played out last weekend , I do have some thought's of what I think will happen however I do not want to ruffle any feather's. I have not ever seen Gilmer play a live game however after watching what Stephenville did to EC , I will say I do not think anyone could beat Stephenville this year. Just my honest opinion however we will never know because they will never play each other this year, Good Luck to both teams.

Hook, I have no idea if anybody could have beat Stephenville this year and you are right, we will never know. I do believe that if both teams played to the best of their ability, it would have been a battle like no other. However, neither team could have afforded to have an off night or even an off quarter or series. In those type games and little mistake can snowball really fast. I think this weeks game with Gilmer may be one of the best games played all year. I can see two good offenses and two good defenses--it may come down to a simple coaching decision.

lostaussie
12-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the main reason for the lack of "smack" on this thread is the respect each teams fans have for the other teams programs. Navasota knows what we bring to the table. They have seen it first hand and it still lingers. That's a stigma you don't get over until you slay the dragon. The buckeye fans in the other hand are going into this game with the thought that Navasota was going to be in the state game from the beginning. Rattlers Rattlers Rattlers is all we have heard all year. You guys have been at the top of the class all year. We bantered back and forth all week with the Graham folks last week because most if us were pretty sure we were going to pummel them. Not the same this week. We do believe we can play with Navasota......but we know we have our hands full.

hollywood
12-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Or fans that just don't talk smack may have something to do with it? ;)

J/K

This will be a great one for sure. Whether Navasota's defense is as good as Kilgore, I think so. But so is Gilmer's. Kilgore held Gilmer to 20 pts and Stephenville put 42 on them. If it wasn't for the rare INT Jone's threw, it could have been more. That's football and give Kilgore all the credit for having a helluva defense. That AJ Davis is for real! Gilmer's defense is just as good if not better. Here's the key factor IMO. It will come down to turnovers. Both teams have had their share of turnover's in the postseason. Is it because of less discipline to execute at a very high level? I don't know but I do know that Stephenville rarely turned the ball over this season especially in the postseason and that helped them play with great confidence and execution.

Which ever team commits the fewest mental mistakes and turnovers will win. Both teams are of the caliber that they will take advantage of mistakes by the opposing team. Some may think Gilmer is a younger team and may be more prone to mistakes but after reading of the mistakes Navasota has been making as of late, that goes out the window. Gilmer is playing with a LOT of confidence right now and that has as much to do with being successful as anything when both teams are as good as these two.

Best of luck to both.

I still am picking Gilmer by 7. Prove me wrong Navasota!

pirate4state
12-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I think we also have to talk about the "wow" factor of Cowboys Stadium for these two (young) teams. Neither has played there before and it may take a few series to adjust and realize it is just another stadium ;)

1971Coogs
12-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Or fans that just don't talk smack may have something to do with it? ;)

J/K

This will be a great one for sure. Whether Navasota's defense is as good as Kilgore, I think so. But so is Gilmer's. Kilgore held Gilmer to 20 pts and Stephenville put 42 on them. If it wasn't for the rare INT Jone's threw, it could have been more. That's football and give Kilgore all the credit for having a helluva defense. That AJ Davis is for real! Gilmer's defense is just as good if not better. Here's the key factor IMO. It will come down to turnovers. Both teams have had their share of turnover's in the postseason. Is it because of less discipline to execute at a very high level? I don't know but I do know that Stephenville rarely turned the ball over this season especially in the postseason and that helped them play with great confidence and execution.

Which ever team commits the fewest mental mistakes and turnovers will win. Both teams are of the caliber that they will take advantage of mistakes by the opposing team. Some may think Gilmer is a younger team and may be more prone to mistakes but after reading of the mistakes Navasota has been making as of late, that goes out the window. Gilmer is playing with a LOT of confidence right now and that has as much to do with being successful as anything when both teams are as good as these two.

Best of luck to both.

I still am picking Gilmer by 7. Prove me wrong Navasota!Welcome to the "Five Golden Rings Club" Hollywood :clap:

hookandladder
12-19-2012, 02:19 PM
As I have stated before I do not know much about Gilmer however two things are a must in beating Navasota, you must get pressure on the QB and you have to have athlete's in the secondary to protect against the deep ball. Baker throws a good deep ball and his receviers know how to go get it, if your secondary cannot protect against the long ball it could be a long night for you guy's. After watching the Stephenville QB last week and watching Navasota QB for the last 2 years , the one big difference between them is Jones is a dual threat. Not saying Baker cannot run however he is just not going to beat you with his feet, how does the Gilmer QB stack up as far as a runner or passer.

waterboy
12-19-2012, 02:25 PM
As I have stated before I do not know much about Gilmer however two things are a must in beating Navasota, you must get pressure on the QB and you have to have athlete's in the secondary to protect against the deep ball. Baker throws a good deep ball and his receviers know how to go get it, if your secondary cannot protect against the long ball it could be a long night for you guy's. After watching the Stephenville QB last week and watching Navasota QB for the last 2 years , the one big difference between them is Jones is a dual threat. Not saying Baker cannot run however he is just not going to beat you with his feet, how does the Gilmer QB stack up as far as a runner or passer.
Tanner Barr (QB-Gilmer) is a dual threat quarterback. He can run it or pass it equally well. He has developed over the course of the year into a very good dual threat. The intangible he has is that he has played safety the last three years and knows how to read the defense.

hollywood
12-19-2012, 02:32 PM
I think we also have to talk about the "wow" factor of Cowboys Stadium for these two (young) teams. Neither has played there before and it may take a few series to adjust and realize it is just another stadium ;)

That's another great point p4s. There are so many factors once teams get to the final destination and Cowboys Stadium is quite a destination for HS teams. The "wow" factor is a factor. I'll tell you, experience is another big factor. Stephenville had played in the new Cowboys Stadium 2 times over the last few years before the SC game. And, several of the coaches had either coached or played in a SC game. Making it to the "Big Show" was the hard part... once there... they new what it took to win.

Both Gilmer and Navasota have gret teams, great coaching staffs and strong community support. The team that supresses the "wow" factor the best, plays their game with the most confidence and commits the fewest mistakes will win.

hollywood
12-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the "Five Golden Rings Club" Hollywood :clap:

:clap: I've watched all five and all five have been equally great. Coogs, pressure's on ya'll now. ;)

whitelightning5
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Tanner Barr (QB-Gilmer) is a dual threat quarterback. He can run it or pass it equally well. He has developed over the course of the year into a very good dual threat. The intangible he has is that he has played safety the last three years and knows how to read the defense.

Baker isn't a dual threat QB because he isn't asked to be. Trust me...he is gifted enough to be used as a dual threat and has enough speed and agility to be a very productive one. He would rather play "Big Ben Style" and move in the pocket, but not tuck and run. He is always looking to throw. They will run the zone read a few times a game and he rarely keeps the ball. Other than that, they just operate out of the shotgun and its a basic handoff.

waterboy
12-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Baker isn't a dual threat QB because he isn't asked to be. Trust me...he is gifted enough to be used as a dual threat and has enough speed and agility to be a very productive one. He would rather play "Big Ben Style" and move in the pocket, but not tuck and run. He is always looking to throw. They will run the zone read a few times a game and he rarely keeps the ball. Other than that, they just operate out of the shotgun and its a basic handoff.

Trust me. He will likely tuck and run more in this game.

whitelightning5
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Trust me. He will likely tuck and run more in this game.

Then maybe you should tell your defenders to stay in their lanes....pick your poison boys.

waterboy
12-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Then maybe you should tell your defenders to stay in their lanes....pick your poison boys.

Yep. Definitely will have to stay in our lanes. Chances are he will be pressured.

whitelightning5
12-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Yep. Definitely will have to stay in our lanes. Chances are he will be pressured.

Unless you can get tons of pressure with your front 4....blitzing this team won't work. La Marque is the only team that I have seen that could get pressure with the DL and he picked them apart with his arm and legs. Bellville played them conservative and only rushed 3. That seemed to put a dent in the downfield passing game, but we were tore up by screens and runs.

poisoned10
12-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Unless you can get tons of pressure with your front 4....blitzing this team won't work. La Marque is the only team that I have seen that could get pressure with the DL and he picked them apart with his arm and legs. Bellville played them conservative and only rushed 3. That seemed to put a dent in the downfield passing game, but we were tore up by screens and runs.

If everything has been tried and failed then what is Gilmer supposed to do?

Sent from my iPhone

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Navasota has played some of the top defenses in the state...
WOS
La Marque
Bellville

Don't get me wrong, I am sure Gilmer will try some things that has already been tried by these teams... Somethings worked and somethings did not. Yes, I do believe that Gilmer is a good team.. Are they as good as WOS and very underated defenses in LaMarque and Bellville?

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Just out of curiosity...

Why is it that before you play a team, they are a really good team in the eyes of those who have seen them, but once you beat them, people discredit what they have done the entire season?

Every week, after Navasota has beaten the likes of LaMarque, WOS, and Belliville, people seem to forget how good those team really are.. Could it just be that, just maybe, Navasota is that good?

I've seen plenty of football, LaMarque, IMO, was VERY GOOD.... Bellville and WOS were good as well... Not as good as LaMarque, but still good teams...

poisoned10
12-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Just out of curiosity...

Why is it that before you play a team, they are a really good team in the eyes of those who have seen them, but once you beat them, people discredit what they have done the entire season?

Every week, after Navasota has beaten the likes of LaMarque, WOS, and Belliville, people seem to forget how good those team really are.. Could it just be that, just maybe, Navasota is that good?

I've seen plenty of football, LaMarque, IMO, was VERY GOOD.... Bellville and WOS were good as well... Not as good as LaMarque, but still good teams...

Did someone from Gilmer do that? Or are you just asking in general?

Sent from my iPhone

Roughneck93
12-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Story on Navasota's Will Imhoff from chron.com...

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Imhoff-inspiring-Navasota-s-playoff-run-from-4132990.php

hollywood
12-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Two words.
Disciplined execution.
La Marque wasn't quite there.
WOS wasn't quite there.
Bellville was more so but didn't have the offense.

Gilmer and Navasota both have it. Which one will have more?

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2012, 11:05 PM
Did someone from Gilmer do that? Or are you just asking in general?

Sent from my iPhone

In general for the most part. However, I have seen on various forums throughout the playoffs how some question every win. Before the game is played, those same individuals give the opponent the win but afterwards, they seem to forget about all the praise that they gave that team.

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 01:32 AM
http://www.navasotaexaminer.com/sports/article_c43c069e-4a0e-11e2-b2a3-0019bb2963f4.html

1988 revisited

Navasota will play in the state championship game for only the second time in 103 years of Rattler football when the hometown boys take on Gilmer this Friday in Arlington.

The only other time? The year was 1988. The team had guys named Imhoff, Jernigan and Baker — just as the 2012 edition.

The comparisons between the two teams are vastly different. The 2012 team scored points by the gobs while the 1988 team could score 55 or score 6. It depended on the game.

The 2012 team didn’t lose a game all year going into the final. The 1988 squad started the season with a win over A&M Consolidated before three straight losses to Willis, Brenham and Cuero — two of those losses weren’t even close.

The 1988 Rattlers began the season with three-year starter Rolando West at quarterback, Victor Ross at running back, Mackley Wells at receiver, a scrappy Joe Acosta on the defensive line with Johnny Jernigan, Frankie Imhoff and Joe Hejl at linebacker and Donald Wesley and Travis Gaines at defensive back. Kevin Bosse and Douglas Gannt were offensive linemen for the Rattlers.

After the 1-3 start, though, coach Mike Dacus promoted sophomore quarterback Kevin Baker from the JV squad to the varsity and moved Rolando West to running back. And did that ever work.

The trio of Baker, West and Ross in the backfield gave the Rattlers a potent rushing attack — they didn’t need to throw the ball more than 10 times a game. Navasota reeled off six straight games to take the District 20-3A championship. Navasota finished the regular season 7-3 and 5-0 in district.

The defense carried the Rattlers to victories in their quest for a state title.

Headlines from The Navasota Examiner for the next four games:

Bi-District Round vs Hearne

Rattler running game buries Eagles 28-7

Rattlers rush for 450 yards

Area Round vs Mexia

Blocked kick saves 7-6 area victory

Navasota defensive lineman Douglass Gannt sliced through the line of scrimmage to block an extra-point in the third quarter. Had they ended in tie, the Mexia Blackcats, which were 11-0 entering the game, would have won since they held the tiebreaker on penetrations.

Regional vs Hamshire-Fannett

Defensive stand keys 7-0 win

Navasota held a 7-0 lead with 4:21 remaining and the Longhorns (11-0 entering the game) had a first-and-goal on the 6. The Navasota defense pushed the offense back and kept them from scoring. Then, on a halfback pass, it appeared a Longhorn receiver was coming down with a Hail Mary pass, but it was broken up be defensive back Donald Wesley, who’s now an assistant principal at NHS.

State Quarterfinal vs Fairfield

Last-minute drive drops Fairfield, 13-10

The Navasota defense stepped up to make a big defensive stop against the vaunted Fairfield wishbone offense and trailed, 7-3, late in the game. Coach Mike Dacus moved Rolando West from running back to quarterback. West engineered a 10-play, 87-yard scoring drive, including passing plays of 39, 21, 8 and 18 yards. Ross scored from 2 yards out with 38 seconds remaining at Huntsville to secure the Rattlers’ second-ever trip to the state semifinals. The only other time was the 1982 season.

State Semifinal vs Sweeney

Rattlers hold off Sweeney 14-8 in semis

Victor Ross scored on touchdown runs of 69 and 53 yards and the Rattlers built up a 14-o halftime lead at Katy. Having come from behind in nailbiters in previous weeks, Navasota had to rely on its defense in the second half to keep Sweeney from doing the same. It worked, and the rattlers secured it’s first-ever trip to the state championship.

State Championship vs Southlake Carroll

Rattlers’ dream year ends; Carroll romps 42-8 for title

On a cold night at Floyd Casey Stadium in Waco, Southlake Carroll Dragons scored once in each of the first three quarters to take a 21-0 lead, then jumped out to a 42-0 lead before the Rattlers got a late touchdown. Navasota turned the ball over four times to the undefeated Dragons.

Like father Like son

Lineage from the 1988 team to the 2012 team

Kevin Baker – Ka’Darius Baker

Frankie Imhoff – Will and Coy Imhoff

Johnny Jernigan – Davon Jernigan

lostaussie
12-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Well there is another thing we have in common.............combined 3 losses in state championship games...........all in same stadium. I don't care if I ever go back there:D

whitelightning5
12-20-2012, 09:01 AM
In I'mgeneral for the most part. However, I have seen on various forums throughout the playoffs how some question every win. Before the game is played, those same individuals give the opponent the win but afterwards, they seem to forget about all the praise that they gave that team.

That is just because some people don't like to give credit where credit is due. Every win is a win...regardless of how pretty it was. Bellville had a similar battle on the other side of the field. We weren't given any credit in the weeks leading up to the games, but all of a sudden were all-stars after the game.

HEMO...you weren't one last week, but some of the Navasota supporters or 3ADL posters just dropping in gave Bellville no chance and had no respect for our program, but they changed their tune when the game was over. If the ball had bounced our way, things may have been very interesting.

whitelightning5
12-20-2012, 09:13 AM
If everything has been tried and failed then what is Gilmer supposed to do?

Sent from my iPhone

I haven't watched you guys play, but if you play as fast as you think you do....here is what I would do....

I would drop 7 in coverage all night long and let your pass rush attempt to get pressure on the QB (mix in a blitz here and there). If you limit the big play and make them continuously try to pick up 3rd downs, that can be their achilles heel. They arent off of their game all of the time, but sometimes they do have some pretty key drops. That said, be prepared to stop the screens all night long. With your team speed, I'm sure you'll have no problems.....:clap: I have seen Baker just dominate teams that choose to blitz. Again, I dont know what your team strength was. Ours was our secondary, so we chose to double up on that and we cut their passing attack in half and held them without a passing TD for the first time all season. But as I've mentioned, we were tore up by screens and draws because of the scheme.

I havent seen a good spread team go against their defense. The one spread team that I did see didnt have a strong passing QB, but was a tremendous athlete. Our offense is run based and I knew we would have to throw to beat them. We were able to hit a few big pass plays (including one reverse pass), but our offense isnt built for dink and dunk. We run, run, run, and try to pop a big pass. If you have a good spread team with a bunch of team speed, that could be a fun battle. Their defense has size and speed in the right areas.

Not saying that nothing can be done to stop them....just saying its going to require a pretty solid showing. Anything can happen on any given day.

lostaussie
12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
I haven't watched you guys play, but if you play as fast as you think you do....here is what I would do....

I would drop 7 in coverage all night long and let your pass rush attempt to get pressure on the QB (mix in a blitz here and there). If you limit the big play and make them continuously try to pick up 3rd downs, that can be their achilles heel. They arent off of their game all of the time, but sometimes they do have some pretty key drops. That said, be prepared to stop the screens all night long. With your team speed, I'm sure you'll have no problems.....:clap: I have seen Baker just dominate teams that choose to blitz. Again, I dont know what your team strength was. Ours was our secondary, so we chose to double up on that and we cut their passing attack in half and held them without a passing TD for the first time all season. But as I've mentioned, we were tore up by screens and draws because of the scheme.

I havent seen a good spread team go against their defense. The one spread team that I did see didnt have a strong passing QB, but was a tremendous athlete. Our offense is run based and I knew we would have to throw to beat them. We were able to hit a few big pass plays (including one reverse pass), but our offense isnt built for dink and dunk. We run, run, run, and try to pop a big pass. If you have a good spread team with a bunch of team speed, that could be a fun battle. Their defense has size and speed in the right areas.

Not saying that nothing can be done to stop them....just saying its going to require a pretty solid showing. Anything can happen on any given day.we invented the spread:D

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Navasota's starting RB broke his leg this morning in a car accident. He is doing fine and is about to have surgery.
On a positive note, the likely replacement will be Horn who started all of last season and some of this year. Xavier Creeks took over when Horn went out with an injury sometime around the 2nd game.

I Just left the send off. Boy oh boy do those boys seem down. I just pray that they use this as a motivation going in to tomorrow's game. I feel soo bad for Creeks!

Deuce
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Navasota's starting RB broke his leg this morning in a car accident. He is doing fine and is about to have surgery.
On a positive note, the likely replacement will be Horn who started all of last season and some of this year. Xavier Creeks took over when Horn went out with an injury sometime around the 2nd game.

I Just left the send off. Boy oh boy do those boys seem down. I just pray that they use this as a motivation going in to tomorrow's game. I feel soo bad for Creeks!
Man, that is terrible! Is he a senior? Feel bad for the kid.

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Man, that is terrible! Is he a senior? Feel bad for the kid.

Yes, he is a senior. It's horrible to have your career end like this. But. We still can do this!

hollywood
12-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Navasota will be challenged more this game than they have been all season. You can count on that. Not because of the exceptional team speed Gilmer has, but more so due to the offensive scheme and the discipline Gilmer's defense plays with. Their ability to execute at a high tempo. Offensively, Gilmer will take what the defense is giving... if it's the pass, they'll hit the screens and slants to no end. The QB is a dual threat. Great athlete. He'll zone read and may keep it for 10-20 yards if it's there. Similar to what Jones did with Stephenville's offense. The offense is designed to get the ball into the play makers hands as quickly and as many times as possible. Of course they can pound the rock if the are getting success there. Like Navasota's offense, pick your poison. Navasota will have to play fundamental disciplined football on defense.

Navasota may get behind on the score board which is rare this season and will have to show it's character to climb back into the game.

whitelightning5
12-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Yes, he is a senior. It's horrible to have your career end like this. But. We still can do this!

That is CRAZY. I feel bad for that guy.

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 10:11 AM
That is CRAZY. I feel bad for that guy.

Yes, tell me about it!

Deuce
12-20-2012, 10:12 AM

That just flat out sux!

lostaussie
12-20-2012, 10:12 AM

I Just left the send off. Boy oh boy do those boys seem down. I just pray that they use this as a motivation going in to tomorrow's game. I feel soo bad for Creeks!that is terribly sad. Hope the kid comes out of surgery and everything turns out ok. Prayers from Gilmer.

hollywood
12-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Oh wow. I hate to hear that.. especially for a senior. Glad he's ok. Navasota will be fine! They have enough weapons offensively and the ones stepping in will step up to the challenge.

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys! You just don't know how the players will respond emotionally.

whitelightning5
12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Navasota will be challenged more this game than they have been all season. You can count on that. Not because of the exceptional team speed Gilmer has, but more so due to the offensive scheme and the discipline Gilmer's defense plays with. Their ability to execute at a high tempo. Offensively, Gilmer will take what the defense is giving... if it's the pass, they'll hit the screens and slants to no end. The QB is a dual threat. Great athlete. He'll zone read and may keep it for 10-20 yards if it's there. Similar to what Jones did with Stephenville's offense. The offense is designed to get the ball into the play makers hands as quickly and as many times as possible. Of course they can pound the rock if the are getting success there. Like Navasota's offense, pick your poison. Navasota will have to play fundamental disciplined football on defense.

Navasota may get behind on the score board which is rare this season and will have to show it's character to climb back into the game.

Offensively, I will give you that. Our offense wasn't dynamic. You may very well be the best offensive team they have faced all year long. Defensively, that will remain to be seen. I would like to think that our defense was one of the most disciplined units that they faced all year long, too. The most athletic defense has probably been LM. Our defense held them to 17 (the other 7 came from special teams). Not everyone can say that.

waterboy
12-20-2012, 10:29 AM
I have said a prayer and will continue to send prayers for this young man, for his family, and the Rattler family. I hate to see a young man not get to play in the one game he has always dreamed of playing in. That is tragic, and he has my sympathy, along with the entire Army of Buckeyes' sympathy. God bless this young man.

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I have said a prayer and will continue to send prayers for this young man, for his family, and the Rattler family. I hate to see a young man not get to play in the one game he has always dreamed of playing in. That is tragic, and he has my sympathy, along with the entire Army of Buckeyes' sympathy. God bless this young man.

Thanks! It could have been worse. So, we are thankful for that.

SHSBulldog00
12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I just heard about Creeks. Not the way you want a Seniors last year to end.

waterboy
12-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks! It could have been worse. So, we are thankful for that.

True. It could've been much worse. I know that's of little consolation right now, but in the broader scheme of life itself he has a lot to be thankful for.

OldBison75
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
The injury to a Senior member of the team for this game is just terrible for the team and the young man. Emotionally, the roller coaster is rough on kids this age. However, I am positive that the Rattlers will harness those emotions and pull together just fine. This is a very special group of kids that rally around each other. You will see a different level of dedication Friday as these kids will be determined to win this game for the "family member" that could not be there.

We all get caught up in the game and talk smack or brag on our teams. I hope we all remember that in the end, this is all about the lives and accomplishments of kids. This is a fine young man that has had a huge impact on this team. He will be missed on the field. However, I am so thankful that he will recover and be okay because that is what is really important. Thank you to every poster that has offed sympathy and condolences, they are appreciated so much. To the Gilmer fans--thanks for all the class you have shown all week.

I am sorry I can't make the game as work has me stuck in frozen North Dakota. I will be listening on webcast and cheering both teams accomplishments. Good luck to both teams and everyone be safe.

UPanIN
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks waterboy and for all the thoughts and prayers from the Gilmer fans. East Texas is a great place.
It is too bad for this young man to miss this game but the Rattlers will be fine and will have no excuses.

Pawdaddy
12-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Wow. This shows how quickly our lives can change. And it puts the games we play into perspective. My hopes are for the young man to have a full recovery and the opportunity to use his ability again at the next level. I also hope he will be able to be on the sideline. I cannot think of a better motivation and stronger example of team than to have him stand beside the rest of the Rattlers during the game. Good luck to this young man.

1971Coogs
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Navasota had a problem with La Marque's mobile quarterback (check the hilites). One of the drives La Marque stalled at the one foot line (after the QB made a huge gain) and one of the QB's touchdown runs was called back because of holding. Each case, Navasota couldn't contain him. I had a feeling that might be the intangible in this game. If Gilmer's QB is as good or better than La Marque's..... that is Navasota's Achilles heal.

buckeyebob
12-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks waterboy and for all the thoughts and prayers from the Gilmer fans. East Texas is a great place.
It is too bad for this young man to miss this game but the Rattlers will be fine and will have no excuses.

Our hopes & prayers & all our best to the Rattlers.

Roughneck93
12-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Hate to hear this.

I feel bad for him. Hope he has a successful recovery.

1971Coogs
12-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks! It could have been worse. So, we are thankful for that.This will be a motivational factor....hopefully he can be at the game on crutches ??

HEMOTOXIC
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
This will be a motivational factor....hopefully he can be at the game on crutches ??

I'm not sure about that, he is just getting out of surgery.

whitelightning5
12-20-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure about that, he is just getting out of surgery.

Any word on how everything turned out?

rico
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Good luck to Navasota, sorry to hear about your running back.

radioman
12-20-2012, 09:41 PM
From the Navasota paper:

Rattler Update: After a 4 hour surgery to piece his femur back together, Xavier Creeks #8 is going to be okay. We are thankful he survived the accident, and pray for a successful recovery. Now boys, IT IS TIME to handle ADVERSITY and play for your teammates like you have done all year.
LET'S FINISH THIS AND NEVER GIVE UP!

83Indian
12-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Good luck to both teams tomorrow.

I'm sticking with Gilmer 21, Navasota 20

This will be a great championship game from the state with greatest high school football in the nation.

Wouldn't it be great to have D1 Stephenville play the winner of this one? Maybe someday we will have a single 3A champion again.

waterboy
12-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Here's one for all the Buckeye fans out there. It always gets me in the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YkADj0TPrJA

waterboy
12-20-2012, 11:48 PM
Here's another favorite for us Buckeye fans. If this don't get you in the mood you ain't got a pulse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgnJDJN4VA&feature=player_detailpage

Was he driving? Any word on what happened?

waterboy
12-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Was he driving? Any word on what happened?

Here's the story, or what is known.

http://www.brazossports.com/football/article_dcd3774e-4ab5-11e2-8991-0019bb2963f4.html

Inmateboss
12-21-2012, 01:10 AM

That's terrible, sorry to hear that!!! Glad that he will be ok!! Prayers that he heals fast !!! Good luck tomorrow!!!

Go # 5

Damn that sucks poor guy I bet his dad feels terrible. Just glad he's ok and it wasn't worse.

bobcat1
12-21-2012, 07:02 AM
That is terrible a thing to happen and at the worst possible time for a senior. Prayers for a quick recovery for the young man.

OldBison75
12-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, the exodus has begun. Two great High School football programs and the fans that support them have started toward the ultimate game. May each person be safe in the travels and may both teams be safe on the field. This, my friends, is what we dream of each fall.
One team will lose the scoreboard battle, but, both of these teams are winners. I want to honor the programs and kids for all the hard work they have done to get here. I also want everyone to know that these kids are fine young men that have reached this point with pride, honor, and sportsmanship. There is no disgrace, win or lose, when you give your all and play with class. Wish I could be in the stadium, but I will be listening from North Dakota. Good luck to all.

lostaussie
12-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, the exodus has begun. Two great High School football programs and the fans that support them have started toward the ultimate game. May each person be safe in the travels and may both teams be safe on the field. This, my friends, is what we dream of each fall.u
One team will lose the scoreboard battle, but, both of these teams are winners. I want to honor the programs and kids for all the hard work they have done to get here. I also want everyone to know that these kids are fine young men that have reached this point with pride, honor, and sportsmanship. There is no disgrace, win or lose, when you give your all and play with class. Wish I could be in the stadium, but I will be listening from North Dakota. Good luck to all.very nice. Good luck to both teams.GO BUCKEYES

LionFan72
12-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Good luck to both teams tomorrow.

I'm sticking with Gilmer 21, Navasota 20

This will be a great championship game from the state with greatest high school football in the nation.

Wouldn't it be great to have D1 Stephenville play the winner of this one? Maybe someday we will have a single 3A champion again.

This is post of the year! My vote, Yes!

OldBison75
12-21-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't know that I have ever seen a game this big discussed on this board with so little smack talk or bravado. I think the class of these two programs and mutual respect has contributed to this. The Gilmer fans are classy people who have confidence in the team they support. After the last meeting between these teams, I watched a large group of fans from Gilmer that came to the end of the stand at Lufkin and gave the Navasota team a loud ovation as they left the field. Our town and our kids remember that. That is what high school football should be about.

LionFan72
12-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Very sorry to hear of the injury to the Navasota RB #8, hate this game when our kiddos get hurt on the field, but it is part of the game. Really becomes a bad situation when the kiddos are injured off the field, but life goes on. Prayers for Creek and Family and a speedy recovery.

Everyone travel safe and an injury free game, should be a festive and high scoring game despite two great defenses. The will to overcome will persevere.

Gilmer 31 - Navasota 42

Good luck to both teams. See you there.

buckeyebob
12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, the exodus has begun. Two great High School football programs and the fans that support them have started toward the ultimate game. May each person be safe in the travels and may both teams be safe on the field. This, my friends, is what we dream of each fall.
One team will lose the scoreboard battle, but, both of these teams are winners. I want to honor the programs and kids for all the hard work they have done to get here. I also want everyone to know that these kids are fine young men that have reached this point with pride, honor, and sportsmanship. There is no disgrace, win or lose, when you give your all and play with class. Wish I could be in the stadium, but I will be listening from North Dakota. Good luck to all.

Well said...may all be safe.

lostaussie
12-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Fixing to roll..........with a big grin on my face:D ..........just like that!

jacket98,99
12-21-2012, 09:02 AM
I also heard the news yesterday about the Navasota RB. I feel horrible for the kid and hope he recovers well. Thank God it wasn't worse.

Manso/V8
12-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Everyone in Brahma land, from the players to the fans, is saddened by the news of Xavier Creek's tragic accident. He is an impressive athlete and gave an outstanding performance in the game last Friday. It is such a shame that he has to miss the opportunity to play in the SC game today. That being said, the fact that he will be OK is what is most important. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family, and friends. Coach Fedora, his staff, the players, and the Navasota fans have proven to be a class act and I am positive any down emotions or thoughts they have experienced or are feeling now are about concern for Xavier and not if or how it will impact the outcome of the game. I am sure that they will pull together and play above and beyond in his honor.

zebrablue2
12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Everyone in Brahma land, from the players to the fans, is saddened by the news of Xavier Creek's tragic accident. He is an impressive athlete and gave an outstanding performance in the game last Friday. It is such a shame that he has to miss the opportunity to play in the SC game today. That being said, the fact that he will be OK is what is most important. Our thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family, and friends. Coach Fedora, his staff, the players, and the Navasota fans have proven to be a class act and I am positive any down emotions or thoughts they have experienced or are feeling now are about concern for Xavier and not if or how it will impact the outcome of the game. I am sure that they will pull together and play above and beyond in his honor.

Well said Manso:iagree: Creeks had 130 yds rushing against us, that will be hard to replace. I am so glad he will be OK!
Best of luck to both teams today, may you play injury free. GO SNAKES, keep the machine rolling...

Manso/V8
12-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Navasota had a problem with La Marque's mobile quarterback (check the hilites). One of the drives La Marque stalled at the one foot line (after the QB made a huge gain) and one of the QB's touchdown runs was called back because of holding. Each case, Navasota couldn't contain him. I had a feeling that might be the intangible in this game. If Gilmer's QB is as good or better than La Marque's..... that is Navasota's Achilles heal.

That drive stalling at the one foot line sounds familiar. Navasota has the speed in the secondary to keep big plays out of the endzone, and then there is that goal line defense that steps up big time. They held Bellville to no score after a drive that included a big pass play that would have been a TD against most teams, and then we worked it down to 1st and goal. After slugging the ball to the 1/2" inch line, we tried a QB sneak on 4th down and we were denied. That was the first time we didn't get a least a yard on the QB sneak all year.

As far as containing a dual threat QB, I think that the Navasota LB core is one of the best in 3A, and they have very good speed in the secondary to come up and provide run support. The whole team tackles very well.

It will be a battle royale!

Manso/V8
12-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Wish I could be in the stadium, but I will be listening from North Dakota. Good luck to all.

I am bummed out that you won't get to be at the game. That is life in the oilfield! I hope someone is recording the tv broadcast for you so you can watch it later.

Manso/V8
12-21-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't know a whole lot about Gilmer team this year, but they have a great tradition, great coach, and certainly have had an impressive season this year.

I am pretty familiar with the 2012 Rattlers having had the opportunity to see these kids play several times in recent years. This group has always had tremendous talent, speed, and athleticism. What impresses me the most is how well they have developed and matured under Coach Fedora in to a team that responds well to what ever their opponents have thrown at them, and they always seem to step up at the right time to make the big or small play that is needed to take advantage of opportunities.

It is hard to predict what the score will be today, but I will take the Rattler by 7.

Here is to a hard fought. clean, and injury free game!