PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville's pregame chant "I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN" original routes

hollywood
12-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Stephenville has been using this chant this season and more so in the playoffs. Although a pretty cool chant and it seems original, it's routes are thought to be from Navy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/39091/coolest-chant-in-the-country-began-at-navy

ccmom
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Ma and Pa Jacket that were in my office today said it originated in Stephenville and the rest of the county copied them. They seemed like people who would know so it must be true. ;)

J2M2SR
12-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I was told by a mom that the saying originated from a young man with Down syndrome who participates with football and pep rallies! The young man walks around patting coaches and players on the shoulder and says " I Believe That We Will Win"! I am also told that #10 Sanchez put it in its chant format a pep rally, and it has stuck!!! Great Thing!

ccmom
12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
I was told by a mom that the saying originated from a young man with Down syndrome who participates with football and pep rallies! The young man walks around patting coaches and players on the shoulder and says " I Believe That We Will Win"! I am also told that #10 Sanchez put it in its chant format a pep rally, and it has stuck!!! Great Thing!

I'm not at all knocking Stephenville's use of the chant and the story of the young man with Down's syndrome is awesome...love stories like that. However, that chant has been around for a while.

Matthew328
12-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Garland High I know used We Will Win back in their state run in 99

J2M2SR
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
In sorry.....I wasn't arguing at all!!!! Just repeating the account of how it came to be here in the Ville as it was told to me!!!! I don't know much , but I do know that come Friday I will be screaming it until my head is ready to explode !!!! I suspect that it will be something the good folks at Abilene Wylie will very familiar with in the coming years!!! I suspect the Rivalry is on!!!

ccmom
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
In sorry.....I wasn't arguing at all!!!! Just repeating the account of how it came to be here in the Ville as it was told to me!!!! I don't know much , but I do know that come Friday I will be screaming it until my head is ready to explode !!!! I suspect that it will be something the good folks at Abilene Wylie will very familiar with in the coming years!!! I suspect the Rivalry is on!!!

We have used that chant over the last couple years at basketball and volleyball games, etc and it's LOTS more fun to chant it than it is to hear it from the other team. ;)

Side note....at the regional volleyball finals, Stephenville fans were chanting "I believe that we will win" throughout the match. When Wylie won, our student section started chanting "I believe that we have won" of course. Anyway, after the game I heard some Sville parents saying something like "That was so rude that they used OUR cheer." Haha....like I said, chanting it is much more fun than hearing it. When y'all were chanting it at the football game is was just rude!! ;)

hollywood
12-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Perceptions, lol

Perceptions, lol

When its done correct its really cool. When its done wrong its Almost comical. can't believe Stephenville fans think they made it up. Guess they don't get out to much.