PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech hires Kliff Kingsbury as HC...

Roughneck93
12-12-2012, 06:54 PM
...according to ESPN.

Roughneck93
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8741465/kliff-kingsbury-hired-texas-tech-red-raiders-coach

Bull Butter
12-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Great hire! Congrats to Kliff!

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Smh...

Roughneck93
12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Great hire! Congrats to Kliff!

+1

Good luck to Kliff!

LH Panther Mom
12-12-2012, 07:09 PM
It's strange that there is nothing about it on the TTU website. LAJ reported it, soully based on a twitter video. Seriously? Is that where we are for news these days? :doh:

I'm excited about him taking over! :clap: :cheerl:

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
This is a great hire. I may become a Tech T-shirt fan again. I remember when Kliff beat my Longhorns pretty much single-handedly in 2002, I believe. You just had to marvel at his performance that day, regardless of the fact he'd just schooled your school.

Yep, it was 2002. Found this on the Tech site: "directed Texas Tech to a 42-38 win over then-No. 3 Texas, passing for 473 yards and six touchdowns on the nation's third-ranked pass defense"

MustangFootball
12-12-2012, 07:37 PM
:clap:Heck yeah....if we can't have mike leach at least his offense will work, not crazy about the youth and inexperience as a head coach but then again leach was just an assistant before he came to tech...love this pick it fits for tech.

GUNNS UP!!!!

NastySlot
12-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Congrats and good luck to him and Tech.......someone to pull for in the big12.

NastySlot
12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
:clap:Heck yeah....if we can't have mike leach at least his offense will work, not crazy about the youth and inexperience as a head coach but then again leach was just an assistant before he came to tech...love this pick it fits for tech.

GUNNS UP!!!!

His youth is going to be a plus.

hookandladder
12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Good friend of mne played OL for Houston while Kingsbury was the OC, he said Kingsbury was the brains that made the offense work. He said Coach Sumlin had nothing to do with the offense's success, interesting what effect this will have on A&M offense. Great hire for Tech.

hawkfan
12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Good friend of mne played OL for Houston while Kingsbury was the OC, he said Kingsbury was the brains that made the offense work. He said Coach Sumlin had nothing to do with the offense's success, interesting what effect this will have on A&M offense. Great hire for Tech.

Don't worry I'm sure at this moment there is already a huge line of proven offensive minds salivating at the chance to coach Johnny Football.

Eagle 1
12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Wow I have to admit I was a little suprised but very pleased.
GUNS UP!

Weebe
12-12-2012, 08:36 PM

He was only co-offensive coordinator for one year at UH, so I find that a bit hard to believe.

NastySlot
12-12-2012, 09:05 PM
He was only co-offensive coordinator for one year at UH, so I find that a bit hard to believe.

He does have great mind for the game..... But I would venture to say that the guy on the other end of the headset in the box was pretty good also.

bobcat1
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Nice! Now hire a great defensive coordinator and build a team.

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Lol got em

Bassact
12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Nice! Now hire a great defensive coordinator and build a team.

Word out of Lubbock:
Sonny Cumbie will be name OC - probably not a bad idea, he knows the offense as well as anyone not named Leach.
Jerry Grey will be named DC - Would be a great hire but i would be surprised if he leaves the NFL to be a DC for Tech. He is originally from Lubbock but that was many moons ago..
For the first time in a very long time I excited about Tech football..

NastySlot
12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Word out of Lubbock:
Sonny Cumbie will be name OC - probably not a bad idea, he knows the offense as well as anyone not named Leach.
Jerry Grey will be named DC - Would be a great hire but i would be surprised if he leaves the NFL to be a DC for Tech. He is originally from Lubbock but that was many moons ago..
For the first time in a very long time I excited about Tech football..
Just spoke with my best friend from childhood a tech alum lives in Minnesota now he feels they same way you do. I really hope things work out for you guys

Red Bull
12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
It will be interesting what kind off staff he will be able to put together at such a young age. They have to be able to coach and recruit. Putting a quality staff together is where most young coaches struggle.

As for A&M, who wouldn't want to be OC with JFF right now at A&M? With offensive recruits that are coming in and what is there now it should not be too difficult to carry on.

LH Panther Mom
12-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Smh...
Are you really that surprised? Yeah, I know. He had the opportunity to coach Manziel to potential back-to-back Heisman seasons. He had the opportunity, according to some, to contend for a MNC. But...he loves Lubbock, loves TTU, loves the West Texas culture, and this is his dream job.

1st and goal
12-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Happy for him. Hope he can kickstart Tech back where they want to be.

Also sad that he left A&M, but sometimes you have to move sideways before you can move up.

hookandladder
12-13-2012, 07:31 AM

He was at UH for 4 years, first couple years he coached the QB's. Anyway you spin it , he knows what he is doing in that offense and made it click.

Old Tiger
12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
A guy who only has 1 year of playcalling experience...

msu97
12-13-2012, 08:42 AM

two... and he was qb coach at UH... he came in when Holgerson left for OSU

Weebe
12-13-2012, 09:01 AM
two... and he was qb coach at UH... he came in when Holgerson left for OSU

Actually, Jason Phillips called the plays in 2011.

bobcat1
12-13-2012, 09:08 AM

True but he did a better job than you know who.

Phil C
12-13-2012, 09:39 AM
His youth is going to be a plus.

What about when he turns 50? :)

Phil C
12-13-2012, 09:42 AM
This should be a great hire and he is a TT graduate so he should be there for the long hall. TT needs to be patient with him. With all the good players in West Texas Tech is bound to be a super football power.

Red&White_9x5
12-13-2012, 10:40 AM
What happened with Chad Morris? Was he not offered or was he offered first and turned it down? I am not saying the KK is a bad choice at all, I just felt Morris was the frontrunner and KK was 2nd on the list. I think this could be a great hire in a lot of ways. He has a great offensive mind, he is an alum and will fit right in on the South Plains, and there is no doubt that the Red Raiders will be very competitive. What does worry me is how strong of a staff can he put together. Seems to me that Morris would have a better chance of putting a well rounded coaching staff together than KK, but I guess time will tell.
Next question, let's shift gears to aTm.... If KK was the driving force/ offensive mastermind, what do they do to replace Kliff and move foreword. Obviously the next 2-3 years will be pretty effortless as far as calling the offense as long as Manzel stays healthy. Snap the ball to him and let him do his thing, but what about after that?

msu97
12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
what I am hearing on Morris, he has a large buyout and wanted alot of money... then Tech was concerned their job would be a stepping stone where KK would definitely stay longer... but with the right job and the right $$$, anyone could leave

pancho villa
12-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I thought TECH was stupid now I know they are!

pancho villa
12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/tommy-tuberville-reportedly-ditches-recruits-middle-dinner-cincinnati-154637499--ncaaf.html

Loser

Gsquared
12-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Im the only one that thinks this is not a good move by Tech IMO.

pancho villa
12-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Im the only one that thinks this is not a good move by Tech IMO.

I think it is as stupid as they are.

Eagle 1
12-13-2012, 12:03 PM

Some people just know the X's and O's.

Gsquared
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Hiring KK was a hire to please the fan base and they also get a two fer in the admin now has a youngster at the helm that they can control. Im glad Chad didnt get this job because he would have been hung after his first loss in an "I told you so" type style. BUT, im sorry, you put Chad's resume up against KK's resume and tell me who would have been the better hire. The difference between being a HC and an OC or assistant, HUGE. This is why you see guys start out at small schools before getting thier first gig. Its not about playcalling etc.... Its about handling the media, recruiting, fund raising and on and on and on. Chad has now been the OC at two D1 schools for a while and had Todd Graham at Tulsa showing him the ropes of what it takes to be a head coach at a division one school. Todd couldnt teach Chad more than he already knew about football, but what he did teach him was how to raise money , deal with the media and all the other things that go with being the main guy. I really do hope KK succeeds but he is facing a HUGHE uphill battle in his first head coaching gig.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Hiring KK was a hire to please the fan base and they also get a two fer in the admin now has a youngster at the helm that they can control. Im glad Chad didnt get this job because he would have been hung after his first loss in an "I told you so" type style. BUT, im sorry, you put Chad's resume up against KK's resume and tell me who would have been the better hire. The difference between being a HC and an OC or assistant, HUGE. This is why you see guys start out at small schools before getting thier first gig. Its not about playcalling etc.... Its about handling the media, recruiting, fund raising and on and on and on. Chad has now been the OC at two D1 schools for a while and had Todd Graham at Tulsa showing him the ropes of what it takes to be a head coach at a division one school. Todd couldnt teach Chad more than he already knew about football, but what he did teach him was how to raise money , deal with the media and all the other things that go with being the main guy. I really do hope KK succeeds but he is facing a HUGHE uphill battle in his first head coaching gig.

I think KK was the better hire here...the school has been reeling fan base wise since Leach was fired...this allow a chance to mend fences and bring back the Leach offense

Gsquared
12-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I think KK was the better hire here...the school has been reeling fan base wise since Leach was fired...this allow a chance to mend fences and bring back the Leach offense

I hope so but I dont think its even close but even if it werent chad, I think Tech, if they are wanting to get back to a program on the uprise, needs experience at the helm OR put alot of gray haired older coaches around KK to help him out.

slingshot
12-13-2012, 01:39 PM
I think it is as stupid as they are.

Bitter towards Tech much? This was a great hire. Kingsbury is a great offensive mind, knows the Air Raid as well as anybody, is very familiar with Tech and the culture there... he will succeed. Be winning 9 of 11 from atm again before you know it.... ;)

Old Tiger
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Latest rumor I heard is that Tech hired KK on purpose to stop the A&M momentum and not because of his abilities as a coach.

Saggy Aggie
12-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Latest rumor I heard is that Tech hired KK on purpose to stop the A&M momentum and not because of his abilities as a coach.

Lol well with sumlin still in town and some pretty good coaches salivating at the opportunity to coach JFF and co., I think A&M will be just fine.

Old Tiger
12-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Lol well with sumlin still in town and some pretty good coaches salivating at the opportunity to coach JFF and co., I think A&M will be just fine.

saggy,

calm down...don't shoot the messenger.

Saggy Aggie
12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
saggy,

calm down...don't shoot the messenger.

Lol I'm just saying if there were any validity to that claim, that would be the dumbest reason ever to hire someone. It's sumlin's scheme..

msu97
12-13-2012, 02:06 PM
more than likely, or from what I have heard, from various people... Tech hired KK for 1) he will be committed to Tech in the long run since he is an alum 2) he is young and that will attract players 3) he is a hot name right now 4) he will bring the fan base back due to his ties to Leach and that era...

may not have been the best choice, but a good fit for Tech... he will have to replace the defensive staff but he can find a young up and comer and see what happens...
KK is a fine young coach

msu97
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Lol I'm just saying if there were any validity to that claim, that would be the dumbest reason ever to hire someone. It's sumlin's scheme..

Tech has done some dumb stuff in the past... so this would not be too crazy for Tech... but I doubt it myself...

Eagle 1
12-13-2012, 03:55 PM

Lol. Sounds like the t-sips are getting nervous.

Old Tiger
12-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Lol. Sounds like the t-sips are getting nervous.

trimbling....but Mack should be fired after next season...hell its not to late to still consider him fired after this one.

LH Panther Mom
12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Oh good grief! Do you honestly think that Kirby Hocutt, Kent Hance or the TTU BoR really give a flying flip about any A&M momentum? Seriously, if you're going to make crap up, at least make it be somewhat believable. :doh:

MustangFootball
12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech will return to the Big 12 higher archy mark it down!!!!

Weebe
12-13-2012, 11:18 PM

You are an imbecile.