PDA

View Full Version : Let's Have Basketball not Basketstall

Phil C
02-17-2003, 11:59 AM
I know I mentioned this in a reply but I would like others' opinion. I like real basketball but I don't like it when it becomes basketstall which happens sometimes when a team hogs the ball for the last seven minutes to protect a one or two point lead or wait to get a last second shot to win the game. Colleges and Pros have eliminated it with a shot clock which is good. I don't know if high schools would want to have shot clocks but the UIL ought to at least have a rule where the referees after about a minute should caution the stalling team that it has 15 seconds to get a shot off or a change in possession will occur. This would at least stop a team from stalling the last seven or eight minutes. Fortunately most teams and coaches play the game in the spirit that it was intended but still a rule would eliminate basketstall altogether. I have never liked basketstall even when the team I wanted to win used it.

Matthew328
02-17-2003, 01:16 PM
I totally agree...a shot clock in high school hoops would be nice...

Jimbotex40
02-17-2003, 06:18 PM
i agree also...but it would be hard to even a 35 second shot clock like college, and near impossible for it to be a 24 second one like the pros
i would just say that you can only have the ball for one minute...then, the ref could maybe interrupt the game with an official's TO, then tell the coach on the stalling team that he will give them about 20 seconds to hit the rim with a shot before, like philc said, a change in possession occurs.

Showtime33
02-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I hate it when teams stall. Some coaches will do that when they know that their team is not as good or as athletic as the other team, thus they want to slow the tempo way down. Like I said, I dont like the stall but it is a strategy that can work. Dean Smith won a lot of games at North Carolina spreading it out and running 4 corners stall. He is really the main reason that the college game went to a shot clock. One team that comes to mind in HS basketball that likes to stall is Canton. But I do wish that there was a shot clock in HS basketball but as long as there is not, coaches will continue to use the stall as a strategy.

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
02-18-2003, 09:22 PM
I definetly think that a shot clock should be implicated into high skool basketball games. I was unsure on the idea UNTIL Youth Basketball League practice tonite *i'm an assn. coach*. There was another team practicing that was a boys team and when they were scrimmaging and they were in the final two minutes, i saw that one team was definetely hogging the ball. The coach called a time out and asked the kid why is your team hogging the ball? Two minutes is two minutes. You gotta play even if you risk losing. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take! Where did you learn how to do that? The little kid replied from watching the big kids do it in middle skool and high skool and play resumed.

Shot clocks are a definite need to.