PDA

View Full Version : Texas and A&M Football cycles

bag-o-chips
12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
I have looked up and found something very interesting. I have told many of my friends about a 10-15 year cycle in Football with these 2 schools. Many current posters may not be as old a s 28 years so here are the stats I have found and they seem interesting to say the least.

From 1984 - 1997 A&M had 2 coaches
125-40-2 record

During this time UT had 3 coaches
92-68-3

1998- 2011 A&M had 3 coaches
98-76

During this time UT has had 1 coach
141-39

UT has had a great run the last 14 years up to 2011 but if you will notice and I think the cycle is starting again. So many UT posters have forgotten those first 14 years as a bad nightmare!

Akers. Mc Williams and Mackovic? Remember? Of course the AGGIES had Fran and Sherman the last 10 so there you have my observation!

msu97
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
sounds about right... kind of like Tennessee with Fulmer... there comes a point when a coach has done all he can do...

kind of like the Aggies when they wanted to get rid of RC because he could not win the big one... all those 10 win years he put together were not good enough for the Aggie faithful... then you have the last few years... now Sumlin appears to have them in the right direction...

the problem UT has if they do make a change is how long before it turns completely around... McWilliams and Mackovic were not good decisions... but it appears it is time for Mack to go...

Buff42
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
I have looked up and found something very interesting. I have told many of my friends about a 10-15 year cycle in Football with these 2 schools. Many current posters may not be as old a s 28 years so here are the stats I have found and they seem interesting to say the least.

From 1984 - 1997 A&M had 2 coaches
125-40-2 record

During this time UT had 3 coaches
92-68-3

1998- 2011 A&M had 3 coaches
98-76

During this time UT has had 1 coach
141-39

UT has had a great run the last 14 years up to 2011 but if you will notice and I think the cycle is starting again. So many UT posters have forgotten those first 14 years as a bad nightmare!

Akers. Mc Williams and Mackovic? Remember? Of course the AGGIES had Fran and Sherman the last 10 so there you have my observation!

Thanks for doing the research on this. It's obvious that these things run in cycles. I remember what it felt like to absolutely OWN tu when I was going to school at A&M. Many of the tshirt teasips have never had the feeling that us Aggies have had the past 15 years or so.

A little humility goes a long way.

bag-o-chips
12-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Really thought this would get more discussion.

Buff42
12-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Really thought this would get more discussion.

None of the tshirt teasip Mafia wants to admit they could possibly be subject to down years and cyclical swings. Most of the Ags on here realize it and know we're riding the upswing right now.

Old Tiger
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
sounds about right... kind of like Tennessee with Fulmer... there comes a point when a coach has done all he can do...

kind of like the Aggies when they wanted to get rid of RC because he could not win the big one... all those 10 win years he put together were not good enough for the Aggie faithful... then you have the last few years... now Sumlin appears to have them in the right direction...

the problem UT has if they do make a change is how long before it turns completely around... McWilliams and Mackovic were not good decisions... but it appears it is time for Mack to go...
With the talent Texas has on campus I think with the right coach it could be immediate.

hsbtex
12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
With the talent Texas has on campus I think with the right coach it could be immediate.

Tigger, we're all awaiting a response from you on the RSJ thread. Get over there little buddy!

Buff42
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I put this in another thread too: Mack has used the richest program in the country to amass an underwhelming 68% conference winning percentage with a measly 3 Big 12 championships over the last 10 years. OU is 82% with 6 titles over the same period.

Is that acceptable?

Tigger, quit ignoring my challenge on the RSJ thread, back up your BS with real facts. Come back

texanpride1250
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
There is definitely momentum on the side of a&m. If UT doesn't do something to gain some momentum of their own it surely could turn into a down period. Not sure if Mack has it in him to engineer this. He appears tired. It is no doubt a grind and a pressure cooker to be a D1 head coach it has visibly worn on him. As a lifelong Longhorn fan I am grateful for what Mack has done at Texas but I do think the time for a change has come. It probably needs to happen sooner rather than later.

The one thing about the cycle of UT/A&M dominance is with the amount of HS talent in this state I am not sure why both teams can't be really good at the same time. There have been a handful of years in my lifetime where this occurred, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I wonder if Kingsbury gets the Tech job how that will effect things for the Ags going forward?

Buff42
12-10-2012, 09:05 PM
I wonder if Kingsbury gets the Tech job how that will effect things for the Ags going forward?

I'm truly worried about KK leaving. I wish him all the best, but we'll damn sure miss him if he gets that job. tu better watch out, though- that will end up siphoning off even more recruits.