PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown will stay with the Longhorns

Scoop27
12-09-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2012/12/06/powers_coach_br.html/?cxntfid=blogs_bevo_beat

Aesculus gilmus
12-09-2012, 10:19 AM
The longer he stays, the more lawyers at ESPN will be on the case trying to find loopholes in that $300 million contract they signed with the faltering program.

Weebe
12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that's always a good sign for a coach.

Buff42
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Perfect. Whoop!

Inmateboss
12-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Great news for sure!!!! WHOOP!!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

hsbtex
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Perfect. Whoop!

Laughing!!!

Sville
12-09-2012, 06:47 PM
This was on my Christmas list.....WHOOP!

bobcat1
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
If I was Jaxon Shipley I would transfer to another school.

hsbtex
12-09-2012, 07:50 PM
If I was Jaxon Shipley I would transfer to another school.

No kidding Bobcat. What a waste of an incredible talent

Inmateboss
12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Well take him at Aggie land!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

Bull Butter
12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Yes!!!

1st and goal
12-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Just remember longhorn fans. Mack and his boys did offer Johnny Manziel to MAYBE come play defensive back....so he decided to go to A&M to play with Swopes...the other misfit from central Texas....seems both of these players don't "fit the mold"...glad we have a different "mold" in College Station.

I just see too much wasted talent unused, and awesome talent not properly scouted, that if continued, should spell A-N-G-R-Y F-A-N-S in other words.

Old Tiger
12-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Just remember longhorn fans. Mack and his boys did offer Johnny Manziel to MAYBE come play defensive back....so he decided to go to A&M to play with Swopes...the other misfit from central Texas....seems both of these players don't "fit the mold"...glad we have a different "mold" in College Station.

I just see too much wasted talent unused, and awesome talent not properly scouted, that if continued, should spell A-N-G-R-Y F-A-N-S in other words.

Coach Sumlin sure knew how to recruit those players!

1st and goal
12-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I'd say he did fairly well at UH....guess we'll see how he does at A&M....looks promising so far.

Rabid Cougar
12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd say he did fairly well at UH....guess we'll see how he does at A&M....looks promising so far.

You just thought Alabama, Notre Dame, LSU are stacked to the gills with top notch players, just watch what happens at TAMC now.

Buff42
12-10-2012, 09:53 AM
You just thought Alabama, Notre Dame, LSU are stacked to the gills with top notch players, just watch what happens at TAMC now.

Hey tigger, that giant sucking noise you hear is recruits leaving tu for other schools including A&M.

If you read Hicks' tweet, his #1 reason for leaving is so he can "play for an outstanding football team." http://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2012/12/3/3723738/kyle-hicks-decommits-texas-longhorns-football-recruiting-tcu-horned-frogs

It's funny as hell to me that 18 year old kids are realizing what the tshirt teasip mafia won't admit to themselves- Mack is not a good judge of talent and can't be trusted with their future.

I say keep Mack at tu- the world is a better place for it.

Macarthur
12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
I know it seems like pilling on or grandstanding, but there have been signs of these things at UT for a long time. Mack is a great recruiter, no doubt about it.

However, given the resources and the talent that has gone through that program over the last decade and a half, to only have 1 MNC and 2 Conf Titles is really quite amazing. For years, there have been whispers around the NFL scouting world and UT players come out of there soft. You hear that it's a country club atmosphere. I think he's tried to change that of late, but those are hard things to change this late in his tenure.

My opinion (for what it's worth) based on what I've read over the years is that Mack is a good guy, a great recruiter and an average coach. But his biggest flaw is that he has a soft program and rumors are he's actually repremanded coaches in the past for being TOO HARD on players. I think you see a huge contrast in someone like GP at TCU.

Macarthur
12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
dp..

Old Tiger
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey tigger, that giant sucking noise you hear is recruits leaving tu for other schools including A&M.

If you read Hicks' tweet, his #1 reason for leaving is so he can "play for an outstanding football team." http://www.burntorangenation.com/recruiting/2012/12/3/3723738/kyle-hicks-decommits-texas-longhorns-football-recruiting-tcu-horned-frogs

It's funny as hell to me that 18 year old kids are realizing what the tshirt teasip mafia won't admit to themselves- Mack is not a good judge of talent and can't be trusted with their future.

I say keep Mack at tu- the world is a better place for it.

For as bad as you are making Texas appear we are still an 8-4 team. Granted it is not the success that Texas is used to but still a good season that most teams would hope for. Schools like Texas don't stay mediocre/bad for long. We will be back soon enough. Enjoy your 1 season of success although I don't think Cotton Bowl is success that is that "elite."

Buff42
12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
For as bad as you are making Texas appear we are still an 8-4 team. Granted it is not the success that Texas is used to but still a good season that most teams would hope for. Schools like Texas don't stay mediocre/bad for long. We will be back soon enough. Enjoy your 1 season of success although I don't think Cotton Bowl is success that is that "elite."

When did I say "elite"?

And is 8-4 acceptable to you? If I was the coach of the richest university in the biggest football state in the country with more recruits and better facilities than any of my competitors and my own $300 million TV network, I would expect to win. "Down" seasons shouldn't be acceptable. Excellence should be expected, even demanded. And if I was that coach, I would expect to be judged by those standards, not by some bullsh!t set of excuses that I throw out to save my job.

And, again, you have little knowledge of history. tu "stayed mediocre/bad" for a long time in the 80s and early 90s. If memory serves me correctly, there was a stretch where A&M went 10-1 against the vaunted horns during that time period.

And, I'm not making tu appear bad, Mack Brown is quite capable of doing that all by himself. If this statement refers to the article I linked, then that is some of Austin's own sportswriters making tu look bad. I'm not making y'all look bad, but damn I wish I could! It would be much worse than it is now, trust me.

Keep drinking the koolaid, Jack.

NastySlot
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I know it seems like pilling on or grandstanding, but there have been signs of these things at UT for a long time. Mack is a great recruiter, no doubt about it.

However, given the resources and the talent that has gone through that program over the last decade and a half, to only have 1 MNC and 2 Conf Titles is really quite amazing. For years, there have been whispers around the NFL scouting world and UT players come out of there soft. You hear that it's a country club atmosphere. I think he's tried to change that of late, but those are hard things to change this late in his tenure.

My opinion (for what it's worth) based on what I've read over the years is that Mack is a good guy, a great recruiter and an average coach. But his biggest flaw is that he has a soft program and rumors are he's actually repremanded coaches in the past for being TOO HARD on players. I think you see a huge contrast in someone like GP at TCU.

Soft? They have the great Mad dog

Old Tiger
12-10-2012, 12:54 PM
When did I say "elite"?

And is 8-4 acceptable to you? If I was the coach of the richest university in the biggest football state in the country with more recruits and better facilities than any of my competitors and my own $300 million TV network, I would expect to win. "Down" seasons shouldn't be acceptable. Excellence should be expected, even demanded. And if I was that coach, I would expect to be judged by those standards, not by some bullsh!t set of excuses that I throw out to save my job.

And, again, you have little knowledge of history. tu "stayed mediocre/bad" for a long time in the 80s and early 90s. If memory serves me correctly, there was a stretch where A&M went 10-1 against the vaunted horns during that time period.

And, I'm not making tu appear bad, Mack Brown is quite capable of doing that all by himself. If this statement refers to the article I linked, then that is some of Austin's own sportswriters making tu look bad. I'm not making y'all look bad, but damn I wish I could! It would be much worse than it is now, trust me.

Keep drinking the koolaid, Jack.

Here is a bit of history. Under Mack Brown Texas has two conference titles. During the 90s which many consider a bad decade for the Horns we had 3 conference titles. The 80s we had 1 conference title. I agree Mack elevated the talent at Texas but he's never been known as a big game day coach. The team has definitely took on his personality and that is a shame. Once he is gone and we get a good X's and O's coach I could see us having the level of success that say Alabama has.

NastySlot
12-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Here is a bit of history. Under Mack Brown Texas has two conference titles. During the 90s which many consider a bad decade for the Horns we had 3 conference titles. The 80s we had 1 conference title. I agree Mack elevated the talent at Texas but he's never been known as a big game day coach. The team has definitely took on his personality and that is a shame. Once he is gone and we get a good X's and O's coach I could see us having the level of success that say Alabama has.

Or OU

Buff42
12-10-2012, 01:03 PM

You must've had a mouth full of Koolaid, because you didn't answer any of the questiosn I asked you. Typical. I'm done here.

NastySlot
12-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Best job of recruiting was keeping Sherman s recruits and getting some key seniors to stay and all to buy into the program. Rumor I hear is don t be surprised to see a few of those juniors stay around for next season.

Old Tiger
12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Best job of recruiting was keeping Sherman s recruits and getting some key seniors to stay and all to buy into the program. Rumor I hear is don t be surprised to see a few of those juniors stay around for next season.

We shall see...Joekel's draft prospect can't get any better but Matthews could.

Buff42
12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Interesting factoids: Mack is 5-9 vs. OU and has 2 conference titles in 15 years.

I had no idea his record is truly that dismal.

How is he still employed? Is that kind of mediocre record really acceptable for the tshirt teasips?

Somebody please answer, I really want to know.

Buff42
12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I had to research this some more.

Over the last 10 years, tu is 59-28 (68% win pct) in Big 12 play with 3 conference titles. Over the same period, OU is 68-15 (82% win pct) with 6 titles.

Is this really acceptable performance from the richest, best program in all of college football?

1st and goal
12-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Overheard at a UT coaches meeting...."Boys, we got to go out there and find us one of them there Johnny Football Cam Newton type quarterbacks. I want y'all to scout every juco in the land, from Brenham to Tupelo." "But coach, what about David and Case?" "Oh don't you go worrying about them, they can find another place to play just like Gilbert did"...... "Now git on out there scouting and don't come back until you find one...All your jobs depend on it"....