PDA

View Full Version : Coaches lead players spitting on Celina's painted "C"

Fletch
10-26-2002, 11:21 AM
Read on another board that last night the Gainesville coaches assembled their players at mid-field during pre-game warm-ups and on the head coach's signal spit on the painted orange "C". Sounds like a lack of class from the top down. Any opinions?

CHS_2004
10-26-2002, 01:22 PM
I totally agree that they lack class. It is a shame that the coaches are teaching their players to act in this pompus and rude way. I think something should be done to correct this problem.

jason
10-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Celina got their revenge by winning the game.

Keith7
10-26-2002, 01:51 PM
If you read further on the board.. you would have read it was tradition.. We have always done that at away games, Most of the time no fans are there at the time when we do it.. Its a way of showing that we are 1 as a team and that we are gonna leave it all out on the field.. sorry if that offended anybody

Owen B
10-26-2002, 01:55 PM
If that's the case, Keith, it's a tradition that should end immediately. Spitting on something has long been seen as a show of contempt for it and spitting on a symbol as a show of contempt for the thing for which the symbol stands. Your coach and players may not mean it that way but that is how it will be perceived by most other people.

<small>[ October 26, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Owen B ]</small>

FryDayFBFun
10-26-2002, 01:56 PM
WOW, have know the coach at Gainesville a long time, he is a class act !!! Some teams just do somewhat crazy things! Congrats to Celina!! another good win!!

Rabbit'93
10-26-2002, 02:44 PM
Well you could have two point of views on this....You could take this as Gainsville saying "You have to earn our respect"(so to speak)which I think Celina has their respect.

Or you could be offended because someone spat upon your school emblem.

Me personally I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's a motivational thing that the coaches do to make their kids think that they are as good as anyone. Was anyone hurt? Probably not. I just feel sorry for anyone that got tackled at midfield. :D Trust me when I say that there are a ton of kids that when they go to another stadium and walk the field . They make a quick trip to spit, stomp, or scrape their foot, either at midfield or in the endzone, anything painted that represents their opponent.

What mattered the most is what was left on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

Congrats to Celina on a huge win!!!!!!

TXMike
10-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Keith,
Your team only does this at away games? Why? Aren't you 1 team and don't you want to leave it all on the field when you are at home also???

How long before kickoff does this tradition take place? If it is in the 30 minutes before kickoff I can't believe it has not been flagged as unsportsmanlike conduct. The officials have jurisdiction starting at kickoff minus 30 minutes so maybe it takes place before then?

This sounds like something I always thought was weird when I saw swimmers do it but I don't know squat about swimming competition so I guess it is a tradition. They bring in a jug of water (apparently from their team's/club's home pool) and pour it into the water at the pool they will be competing in.

Keith7
10-26-2002, 06:17 PM
ok, we don't do it at home because that is our home field.. why in the world would we spit on our own "G".. and also, the spitting happens when we first arrive at the stadium, around 5.. I really dont think it is that big of a deal as people make it.. I know it baseball there were numorous teams that would run to our 400 signs and spit on it.. but no one has ever said a thing about that

Pudlugger
10-26-2002, 06:30 PM
Typical male mammalian behavior marking out territory. If Gainesville were Bulldogs they would probably just whiz on the emblem. Very classy act don't you think? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BullsFan
10-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Keith, how would you feel if it was someone else spitting on your field?

The One
10-26-2002, 11:08 PM
I mentioned this after Gainesville beat the Bulls in Week 5, they are classless. This team has no discipline! They always have tons of talent and can do nothing with it in the playoffs. I said before that I thought this years team could do special things but only if the coaches could keep the team in control. Its obvious now where the players get it from. Its disappointing and looks as if another talented Gainesville team is just weeks away from the end of another undisciplined season.

redneckplayer010
10-26-2002, 11:36 PM
i know that personally i would never spit or do anything like that nor would my coaches lead anybody in such a tradition. spitting on a field doesn't prove you are number 1, your actions between the sidelines for 48 minutes do.

FBmania
10-27-2002, 01:31 AM
redneckplayer010:
i know that personally i would never spit or do anything like that nor would my coaches lead anybody in such a tradition. spitting on a field doesn't prove you are number 1, your actions between the sidelines for 48 minutes do.

45Well said redneck! You're an okay guy even though you are a Panther! wink