PDA

View Full Version : The dumbest Idea the NFL ever came up with!

GrTigers6
12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/roger-goodell-talks-chiefs-eliminating-kickoffs-player-safety-164839047--nfl.html

If I understand this correctly a good offensive team could keep the ball the entire half.

SintonFan
12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
In more general NFL subjects, the TIME article revealed a possible plan to eliminate kickoffs from pro football altogether.

TIME sat in on meeting between Goodell and Rich McKay, head of the NFL's powerful competition committee. Goodell brought up a proposal promoted by Greg Schiano, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers: after a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth-and-15. The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession, or punt. If you go for it and fall short, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, punts would replace kickoffs, and punts are less susceptible to violent collisions than kickoffs.
"It's a much different end of the play…It's an off-the-wall idea," Goodell said. "It's different and makes you think differently. It did me."

It is just theoretical...

GrTigers6
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I understand that, But even in theory its stupid! It shouldnt even be an afterthought

TexMike
12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Seems like all they would have to do is say no place kicks on KO's. All KO's have to be punts. That would reduce their injury exposure according to their own statement.

Farmersfan
12-07-2012, 09:55 AM
It looks like to me if they wanted to get rid of the kickoff they could simply let the other team start their offensive possession on the 20 every time. I don't understand why it would be appropriate for the team that just scored to again have the ball on offense? Even with a 4th and 15 decision. Once you score the other team gets possession whether via kickoff, punt or 1st and 10 on their own 20..........

Saggy Aggie
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
It looks like to me if they wanted to get rid of the kickoff they could simply let the other team start their offensive possession on the 20 every time. I don't understand why it would be appropriate for the team that just scored to again have the ball on offense? Even with a 4th and 15 decision. Once you score the other team gets possession whether via kickoff, punt or 1st and 10 on their own 20..........

That would eliminate all chances for the scoring team to get the ball back (onside).

I think... The thinking with the 4th and 15 is that it still gives the scoring team a chance, but not a good one. Idk, terrible idea though.

TexMike
12-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Wellll.....just because a team scores does not mean the other team gets possession all the time. What happens after you score a 2 point safety? You are likely getting the ball back (unless the other team pull soff an onside kick successfully). I admit this is a pretty radical idea when you add in the part about a team getting a chance to get a 1st down by going 15 yards. But right now, they only have to execute a 10 yard onside kick successfully and they get the ball back with a 1st and 10.

GrTigers6
12-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Wellll.....just because a team scores does not mean the other team gets possession all the time. What happens after you score a 2 point safety? You are likely getting the ball back (unless the other team pull soff an onside kick successfully). I admit this is a pretty radical idea when you add in the part about a team getting a chance to get a 1st down by going 15 yards. But right now, they only have to execute a 10 yard onside kick successfully and they get the ball back with a 1st and 10.

Yeah but the odds of getting first down with 15 to go seem a lot greater than the odds of a successful onside.

oldtownag
12-07-2012, 11:41 AM

I think the 1 point safety is only valid in NCAA not NFL.

TexMike
12-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I am talking aboiut the 2 point safety, not 1 point

whitelightning5
12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Seems like all they would have to do is say no place kicks on KO's. All KO's have to be punts. That would reduce their injury exposure according to their own statement.

I definitely do not see this helping prevent injury unless you require both sides to line up in punt/punt return formation. For instance, when teams line up to punt after a satefy, they use the kickoff coverage teams and everyone is flanked out (sideline to sideline) and the return team is in KO return coverage. Also, are they saying there more risk of injury on punts than KickOffs? I have seen several concussions on punt coverage too. Just strap on 2 flags and place the ball at the 20. That's the way this league is headed.

Ernest T Bass
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Just reduce the quality of helmets. It used to hurt to lead with your head, that's why people didn't do it.

TexMike
12-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I think they are saying there is more hang time but less distance with punts which means the players will not have as much ground to run and build up momentum. There are a lot more fair catches with punts than kickoffs so maybe they are hoping that will happen also