PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns lose recruit to TCU

Scoop27
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
he Longhorns’ woes continue, although this time it’s on the recruiting side of things. On Monday afternoon, Texas’ lone 2013 running back commitment, Kyle Hicks, decommitted from the Horns and switched his pledge to the TCU Horned Frogs.
Kyle Hicks at Martin

Kyle Hicks was Texas' lone running back commitment in the 2013 class.

The 5-foot-10, 195-pound Hicks originally committed to Texas a week after attending the Horns’ junior day in February, where he was first offered. Over the course of the season, rumors swirled that TCU was coming hard after the four-star running back, but Hicks repeatedly told Hookem.com that he was solid with his commitment to Texas.

As of Monday, that was no longer the case.

“Yes I switched to TCU,” Hicks confirmed to Hookem.com via text.

"It's a great program," Hicks said of TCU. "I can get a good education and it's 15 minutes away from the house."

Hicks was considered one of the top athletes in the state over the past two years. While he’ll play running back at the next level, this season he played quarterback for Martin, where he passed for 467 yards and six touchdowns, along with rushing for an additional 1,114 yards and 22 touchdowns.

He was recruited by co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite and area recruiter Bruce Chambers. Hicks called Chambers late Monday morning to give him the news.

"It was very hard telling the Texas coaches," Hicks said. "I mean it wasn't easy at all. I'd say it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do really."

With a grade of 91, Hicks is a four-star prospect who is ranked no 233 overall in the Top247 and No. 17 at the running back positions. Besides Texas and TCU he held offers from Michigan, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Notre Dame and more.

Macarthur
12-04-2012, 11:53 AM
I"ve been saying this for a while. TCU is going to be a real thorn in the side of the old Big 12 when it comes to DFW recruits. They took Brandon Carter away from OU two years ago and Fields & L. Brown were both players that had offers from UT, OU & A&M.

I read quite often from the 'Big School' folks how TCU wouldn't compete in the Big 12. I think that is very short sighted. They will be a major threat to schools like TT, OSU and Baylor with the deep talent pool of DFW. In fact, I think you could argue that they have already begun out recruiting those guys. And if they can pluck a real stud (four or five star guy) or two each year from DFW, they are going to be a real threat.

Also, they have a great stadium, their other facilites are rapidly improving, and they have one of the top coaches in the country. Look out for the Frogs.

vet93
12-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree....but only if Patterson stays. If Patterson leaves and they cannot find an equal replacement...TCU does not have the ability to recruit on a high enough level in the abscense of above average coaching like some schools can recruit.

I"ve been saying this for a while. TCU is going to be a real thorn in the side of the old Big 12 when it comes to DFW recruits. They took Brandon Carter away from OU two years ago and Fields & L. Brown were both players that had offers from UT, OU & A&M.

I read quite often from the 'Big School' folks how TCU wouldn't compete in the Big 12. I think that is very short sighted. They will be a major threat to schools like TT, OSU and Baylor with the deep talent pool of DFW. In fact, I think you could argue that they have already begun out recruiting those guys. And if they can pluck a real stud (four or five star guy) or two each year from DFW, they are going to be a real threat.

Also, they have a great stadium, their other facilites are rapidly improving, and they have one of the top coaches in the country. Look out for the Frogs.

Macarthur
12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree....but only if Patterson stays. If Patterson leaves and they cannot find an equal replacement...TCU does not have the ability to recruit on a high enough level in the abscense of above average coaching like some schools can recruit.

I don't think Patterson is going anywhere. He has very quietly turned down some VERY big time programs that have put in phone calls.

Matthew328
12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
TCU will sign Patterson to another extension, he'll get another lease on some natural gas and Mrs. Patterson will be happy

Macarthur
12-04-2012, 12:54 PM
TCU will sign Patterson to another extension, he'll get another lease on some natural gas and Mrs. Patterson will be happy

Yea, some may not realize it, but with the natural gas situation in the Barrnett Shale, TCU has more money than God. I have heard that GP has his name on a couple of the leases west of FW. It is interesting how being a private school allows them to do some things with regards to compensation that the state schools could not get away with.

And you mention the Mrs. She's a FW native so I don't think she's too eager to go to Fayettville or Auburn. :)

Manso/V8
12-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Yea, some may not realize it, but with the natural gas situation in the Barrnett Shale, TCU has more money than God. I have heard that GP has his name on a couple of the leases west of FW. It is interesting how being a private school allows them to do some things with regards to compensation that the state schools could not get away with.

And you mention the Mrs. She's a FW native so I don't think she's too eager to go to Fayettville or Auburn. :)

With the low price of natural gas, it is not economical to drill in the Barnett. Any new Barnett wells are most likely being drilled to meet the requirements to hold the lease until natural gas prices increase. GP might get some income from existing wells, or a new well or two, but nothing like it was a couple of years ago. If natural prices go up, say above $4.50 or $5.00, then it would be happy time!

Old Tiger
12-04-2012, 04:46 PM
With the low price of natural gas, it is not economical to drill in the Barnett. Any new Barnett wells are most likely being drilled to meet the requirements to hold the lease until natural gas prices increase. GP might get some income from existing wells, or a new well or two, but nothing like it was a couple of years ago. If natural prices go up, say above $4.50 or $5.00, then it would be happy time!

Only smaller companies are drilling for natural gas. The bigger companies see it as a waste of money.

Emerson1
12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm sure in the next 3-4 years before Daje and Gray graduate/go pro they will find a suitable replacement.

Manso/V8
12-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Only smaller companies are drilling for natural gas. The bigger companies see it as a waste of money.

Not really true, but I don't want to start an argument.