PDA

View Full Version : How good is Stephenville this year?

Sville
12-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Good Read

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2012/dec/03/bc-notebook-2010-brownwood-vs-2012-stephenville/?partner=RSS

MGAR
12-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Stephenville is good. Just ask them.

Sville
12-04-2012, 10:25 AM
or come watch us

Bosqueville
12-04-2012, 10:37 AM
This seems like 2010 all over again. A dominating 3A team that everyone just knew would win it all. And here you have a Carthage team quitely going about their business of beating teams. erie....

hollywood
12-04-2012, 11:36 AM
I have withheld my comments all season about this inevitable debate. I had watched a lot of Brownwood 2010 as well as Stephenville 2010. And, I've watched a lot of Stephenville 2012 this year.

IMO, if Brownwood 2010 and Stephenville 2010 would have played each other later in the season that year, I beleive it would have been a toss up. Both were really good in the postseason that year.

As for Stephenville 2012, here's the key advantage they have over Brownwood 2010 going into the semis IMO. The O-line and D-line. Brownwood 2010 wasn't small on the lines but not big enough to counter and hold Carthage who was huge and physical. The difference in that game was the battle in the trenches. Carthage just wore down the O-line and D-line of Brownwood over the course of the game. Brownwood had to make some really good plays to stay in that game. And that's the honest truth. Trust me, that game could have gone the other way with a call or two going the other way. When playing teams like Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore, and Gilmer... they are going to have big physical O-lines and D-lines. Stephenville has that and usually does every season. Stephenville's O-line was the question mark going into this season. With most of it's skill players returning, the O-line was relatively young and inexperienced. They have become one of the best Stephenville has had over the years. It takes a complete team to be able to be labeled as being one of the best.

Stephenville 2012 is about as complete of a team as I've seen in a long time. As a dual threat, QB Jones at 6'3" 205 is at the top of his game and has the O-line and offensive weapons around him to make this one of the best Stephenville teams in it's history. There are 2 great WR's in Gunter and Stidham, both 6'3" and have velcro for hands. Then there's Sanchez out of the slot. Put the ball in his hands and watch the fireworks. At RB, Westbrook is about as tough of a RB as you'll find. He too has good hands out of the backfield. Runs hard and can take it to the house if given the space. Then, there are 2 TE's that get the ball Morrison and Varnado. Both have made catches all season that have been key.

Defensively, they are plenty stout. Definitely an underrated defense in 3A. They are not a shut down type of defense but teams are going to have to earn every yard they get, especially in the red zone. Inside the red zone, Stephenville generally uses Gunter and Stidham on the corners and runs a 4-3 with Manley 6'4" 315 in with Hook 6'3" 290 as the tackles. The dynamic duo DE's #25 Varnado 6'1" 220 and #35 Noah 6'2" 220, I'd put up against any duo DE's in the state. The LB's are solid and the DB's are fast and cover well. Both have sub 4.5 speed. The FS #13 Mookie Carlile 6'2" 190 is a head hunter and will not hold back on a tackle.

We know that Kilgore will present another strong challenge this week. It wouldn't be right if not. Through the eyes I've been looking through, I just don't see a team overcoming Stephenville this season unless, they have an offense that can go toe to toe. And the reason I say this is because the O-line and D-line are both plenty big physical and strong to go toe to toe with any in 3A.

Take it for what you will, that's my opinion. There are several very good teams still left that could end this teams dream this week or next if they win Friday.

If you appreciate good HS football, this teams has got it. I appreciate good HS football and this Stephenville 2012 team has displayed that all season.

May the best team win.

Cheers!

toddg
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
I have withheld my comments all season about this inevitable debate. I had watched a lot of Brownwood 2010 as well as Stephenville 2010. And, I've watched a lot of Stephenville 2012 this year.

IMO, if Brownwood 2010 and Stephenville 2010 would have played each other later in the season that year, I beleive it would have been a toss up. Both were really good in the postseason that year.

As for Stephenville 2012, here's the key advantage they have over Brownwood 2010 going into the semis IMO. The O-line and D-line. Brownwood 2010 wasn't small on the lines but not big enough to counter and hold Carthage who was huge and physical. The difference in that game was the battle in the trenches. Carthage just wore down the O-line and D-line of Brownwood over the course of the game. Brownwood had to make some really good plays to stay in that game. And that's the honest truth. Trust me, that game could have gone the other way with a call or two going the other way. When playing teams like Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore, and Gilmer... they are going to have big physical O-lines and D-lines. Stephenville has that and usually does every season. Stephenville's O-line was the question mark going into this season. With most of it's skill players returning, the O-line was relatively young and inexperienced. They have become one of the best Stephenville has had over the years. It takes a complete team to be able to be labeled as being one of the best.

Stephenville 2012 is about as complete of a team as I've seen in a long time. As a dual threat, QB Jones at 6'3" 205 is at the top of his game and has the O-line and offensive weapons around him to make this one of the best Stephenville teams in it's history. There are 2 great WR's in Gunter and Stidham, both 6'3" and have velcro for hands. Then there's Sanchez out of the slot. Put the ball in his hands and watch the fireworks. At RB, Westbrook is about as tough of a RB as you'll find. He too has good hands out of the backfield. Runs hard and can take it to the house if given the space. Then, there are 2 TE's that get the ball Morrison and Varnado. Both have made catches all season that have been key.

Defensively, they are plenty stout. Definitely an underrated defense in 3A. They are not a shut down type of defense but teams are going to have to earn every yard they get, especially in the red zone. Inside the red zone, Stephenville generally uses Gunter and Stidham on the corners and runs a 4-3 with Manley 6'4" 315 in with Hook 6'3" 290 as the tackles. The dynamic duo DE's #25 Varnado 6'1" 220 and #35 Noah 6'2" 220, I'd put up against any duo DE's in the state. The LB's are solid and the DB's are fast and cover well. Both have sub 4.5 speed. The FS #13 Mookie Carlile 6'2" 190 is a head hunter and will not hold back on a tackle.

We know that Kilgore will present another strong challenge this week. It wouldn't be right if not. Through the eyes I've been looking through, I just don't see a team overcoming Stephenville this season unless, they have an offense that can go toe to toe. And the reason I say this is because the O-line and D-line are both plenty big physical and strong to go toe to toe with any in 3A.

Take it for what you will, that's my opinion. There are several very good teams still left that could end this teams dream this week or next if they win Friday.

If you appreciate good HS football, this teams has got it. I appreciate good HS football and this Stephenville 2012 team has displayed that all season.

May the best team win.

Cheers!

i have to say...very good, well thought out post Hollywood!! and i will add that Stephenville played a tougher schedule this year than BW 2010 overall.

Stephenville 2012 is more balanced, and more physical..especially up front.

bwdlionfan
12-04-2012, 01:08 PM

I wouldn't expect you to say any different

bp80884
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM

May the best team win.

Cheers!

Well stated. But at the end, they will be compared about how far they get in the playoffs. If they don't win the SC, both teams would have underachieved. If they do win, they are a much better team than BW.

IMO, I got tired of hearing "Brownwood Brownwood Brownwood" in 2010. Although I am tired of hearing about Stephenville (a lot of that is because I wish we were still in the Playoffs) it has not been as annoying as BW as Stephenville does not have a Pocket "Rocket" we have to continuously hear from.

Great team, so not taking anything away from them. I do hope I get to see them this year as I will be at the SC games in a couple of weeks.

lostaussie
12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey, we got some kudos in a west texas paper:D Thanks for sharing the story.

Ville-D
12-04-2012, 03:30 PM

May the best team win.

Cheers!

Well said, but it is apparently in vogue to hate on Stephenville.

Dogman_1969
12-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Not quite as good as Navasota......This is the year of the Rattler.......

Bullaholic
12-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Nobody has tossed this into the 'fan" yet.....Is 12' Stephenville better than any/all of the Carthage SC teams?

Sville
12-04-2012, 04:28 PM
To be honest while this story is good message board fodder. I am more interested in ranking this Sville team in how they fall with the great Sville teams of the past. But they have to finish the deal first otherwise they are just another talented team that made a good run.

Bullaholic
12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
To be honest while this story is good message board fodder. I am more interested in ranking this Sville team in how they fall with the great Sville teams of the past. But they have to finish the deal first otherwise they are just another talented team that made a good run.

No fodder= no fun, SVille....:D Now you know those East Texas boys will jump on this like a duck on a junebug. You Ville folks will have to answer your own question as to how the 12' Jackets rank with prior years Jacket teams.

Buff42
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Go Preston!

Sville
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Go Preston!

He had a big INT against Wylie that really swung the momentum.

toddg
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Go Preston!

from the 40 times he ran at UT last summer...he "can" really GO!!

SintonFan
12-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Funny if it seems this way to me but here I go:
Since I've been here... Jasper drops down and everyone outside of there roots against them. Same for WOS. Same for Burnet and then Brownwood.
Now Stephenville comes in and the whole Dallas/FT. Worth area roots them on. Jusy my .02.

Hendo
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Funny if it seems this way to me but here I go:
Since I've been here... Jasper drops down and everyone outside of there roots against them. Same for WOS. Same for Burnet and then Brownwood.
Now Stephenville comes in and the whole Dallas/FT. Worth area roots them on. Jusy my .02.

There are plenty more people rooting against us than for us, I promise. The only ones we have won over are the ones we have played. So that just goes to show that after you watch the Jackets play, there is no denying how good they are and that they deserve to win a SC.

SintonFan
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
There are plenty more people rooting against us than for us, I promise. The only ones we have won over are the ones we have played. So that just goes to show that after you watch the Jackets play, there is no denying how good they are and that they deserve to win a SC.

I am noncommittal in this discussion. Just my .02. Been here a long time.

bobcat1
12-04-2012, 08:26 PM

or come watch usI watched them last week and if my opinion matters they are that damn good. I expect they will win it all but they still have to play the games. Injuries in either game could be costly.

defense51
12-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Or ask anyone who has seen them play this year. You will get the same answer, they ARE good!

lostaussie
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I skipped a state championship game to watch a semi-final between Bwood and Carthage. I had to see Bwood play one time. There was not much doubt Bwood was the best team.............but they lost. Sometimes the ball just don't bounce right. Don't ever forget that. It's happened to us too.

Dawgs
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I skipped a state championship game to watch a semi-final between Bwood and Carthage. I had to see Bwood play one time. There was not much doubt Bwood was the best team.............but they lost. Sometimes the ball just don't bounce right. Don't ever forget that. It's happened to us too.

I'm not sure I follow u that Brownwood was the "best team".....but they lost. They had the best player, but to say they were the best team is not fair to the Carthage team that took the field that night. The 2010 Carthage team was one of the most discpline teams I have ever seen, and the 2010 playoff run was the best football Carthage has ever played. Anthony Morgan had ice water running thru his veins. I'll put his play that year in the playoffs up with any QB all time in 3A. Don't forget their are 3 kids playing D1 football from that 2010 team right now, and another that went to Okie Lite and came home.

hollywood
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Before this gets into which 2010 was better than the other.. I will say that I thought Brownwood's offense was more explosive than Carthage's. But, Carthage's defense was 7 points better that night. I think if both those 2 played each other 10 times, they'd each win 5 games.

Tin Cup
12-04-2012, 10:32 PM
In my opinion, Stephenville 2012 is Brownwood '10 skill players with '10 Carthage fronts.

As a result, they will not lose, to any 3A team this year.

You don't have to like it, I sure don't, but its happening.

icu812
12-04-2012, 11:29 PM

As an unbiased witness to this game I do not agree. Carthage was the better team. Brownwood had the best player. IMO neither team was as good as the Carthage team that beat Celina in the SC or the SC Liberty Hill teams.

bobcat1
12-04-2012, 11:42 PM

As an unbiased witness to this game I do not agree. Carthage was the better team. Brownwood had the best player. IMO neither team was as good as the Carthage team that beat Celina in the SC or the SC Liberty Hill teams.

I concur. The 2008 Carthage team was much stronger than the 2010 team. I saw both and I have to tell you with that running back and the O-Line of 2008 the 2010 team was not as good but good enough!

Dawgs
12-04-2012, 11:48 PM
In my opinion, Stephenville 2012 is Brownwood '10 skill players with '10 Carthage fronts.

As a result, they will not lose, to any 3A team this year.

You don't have to like it, I sure don't, but its happening.

I hope your wrong about that, cause if they are that good then our East Texas teams are in trouble this year.

toddg
12-04-2012, 11:55 PM

best thing iv read on here in a while...that is so right!

Dawgs
12-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I concur. The 2008 Carthage team was much stronger than the 2010 team. I saw both and I have to tell you with that running back and the O-Line of 2008 the 2010 team was not as good but good enough!

Our RB in 2008 was a beast, and that was prolly the best O-Line to ever come thru. But I would give the slight edge to the 2010 team...I've never seen a more fearless QB then we had in 2010, and I think that would be the difference. I digress, this is not a "who is the best Carthage team thread". Hopefully I'll know more about the 2012 Ville team next week :-), and I can give a more educated answer to the thread topic. After a week to think about it, I just don't think Kilgore has the fire power to win there game this week.

hollywood
12-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Our RB in 2008 was a beast, and that was prolly the best O-Line to ever come thru. But I would give the slight edge to the 2010 team...I've never seen a more fearless QB then we had in 2010, and I think that would be the difference. I digress, this is not a "who is the best Carthage team thread". Hopefully I'll know more about the 2012 Ville team next week :-), and I can give a more educated answer to the thread topic. After a week to think about it, I just don't think Kilgore has the fire power to win there game this week.

http://stephenvilleyellowjackets.com/index.php?topic=1271.0

They are.

Aggie98
12-05-2012, 12:26 AM

That 2008 Carthage team was the real deal. We somehow beat them in the 1st game of the season 32-20, but there was no doubt who the more talented team was that night. Dwight Smith was a bad man.

Dawgs
12-05-2012, 12:33 AM
http://stephenvilleyellowjackets.com/index.php?topic=1271.0

They are.

Not impressed by watching them pick on a Kennedale team the runs the Wing-T or whatever that was...It's 2012 and the top tier teams run much more sophisticated offenses. With that said they do look potent.

83Indian
12-05-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm not sure I follow u that Brownwood was the "best team".....but they lost. They had the best player, but to say they were the best team is not fair to the Carthage team that took the field that night. The 2010 Carthage team was one of the most discpline teams I have ever seen, and the 2010 playoff run was the best football Carthage has ever played. Anthony Morgan had ice water running thru his veins. I'll put his play that year in the playoffs up with any QB all time in 3A. Don't forget their are 3 kids playing D1 football from that 2010 team right now, and another that went to Okie Lite and came home.

I was at the game and I thought they were evenly matched. I fault the fact that Shipley was not utilized enough in that game. I don't care if he is the coaches son. I would have put the ball in his hands at least 30 times. When it mattered and the game was on the line, he basically single handily made that last drive. They ran the motion hand off to shipley 3 or 4 times and he gets 8 - 10 yards every time. Why stop? With their other top receiver injured earlier in the game, they did not adjust well. I did not see the 2008 Carthage team but I can't imagine them being better than the 2010 team.

83Indian
12-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Not impressed by watching them pick on a Kennedale team the runs the Wing-T or whatever that was...It's 2012 and the top tier teams run much more sophisticated offenses. With that said they do look potent.

Kennedale under utilizes talent every year. No need for all that misdirection nonsense with the talent they have year in year out. Someday, they will figure it out.

LionFan72
12-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Whoa there Nellie, "deserve to win" is the attitude that draws the ire of everyone else on this board. NO one deserves to win other the winner of the SC game. Every team fights the fight to win, and earns that SC.

I have not had the pleasure of actually seeing the Jackets play this year, and yes I had my doubts about how good they really are, They are GOOD! After dominating a very good Abilene Wylie team, although wounded, I would say Very Good. The Jackets may very well win the state title this year, but to say they deserve the title is a lot over the top!

Ville-D
12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
After dominating a very good Abilene Wylie team, although wounded, I would say Very Good.

Although wounded? AW came in full strength from what I heard. Other than the 2 kids that went down in the game, did I miss something?

hollywood
12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Although wounded? AW came in full strength from what I heard. Other than the 2 kids that went down in the game, did I miss something?

Full strength other than a DE that was sick, from what I heard.

#50 and #5 went out with injuries. Truly hope they are doing well.

Old Tiger
12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Not as good as one would think. They lost to that Mexican team and disgraced their country/state.

hollywood
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Rockdale and Wimberley are running lines inside of a basketball gym today. That Week 0 loss woke up a wasp nest! It's good to still see the pads poppin' this time of year.

toddg
12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
i think the Stephenville offense is better than last year..and they were really good last year, westbrook is running so much better now and Jones is finding the open rec. with lightning speed..he reminds me of McElroy(SLC 2005)in passing ability.

BEAST
12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Hollywood, I am wondering, how many of this years starters as seniors for Ville. Is it like Wood 2010 where dang near all of them were Sr's?

BEAST

Sville
12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Sville on offense will have these players returning. LG, C, RG, and the RT that started the first 7 games (got hurt) also the TE. The WR #1 will move to QB basically 4 of 5 OL + TE and then replace all the skill players.

Defense- will return DE #35, both ILB #31 & #40, we had another OLB #6 that got hurt halfway thru the season that will be back, and both safeties will return #8 & #13.

hollywood
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Hollywood, I am wondering, how many of this years starters as seniors for Ville. Is it like Wood 2010 where dang near all of them were Sr's?

BEAST

As for the starters go:
Offense: QB Jones, RB Westbrook, WR Gunter, Slot Rec Sanchez, LT Manley
Defense: LB Westbrook, DE Varnado, CB Brown, CB Pettit, NG Hook

The others are Juniors and Sophomores

slingshot
12-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Although wounded? AW came in full strength from what I heard. Other than the 2 kids that went down in the game, did I miss something?We were beat up. Starting LT out with season ending knee surgery after Greenwood game, starting middle linebacker and only likely DI recruit out with season ending knee injury/surgery since start of season, starting DB out with serious illness, starting OLB out with knee surgery--suited for this game but only played a few downs, several key reserves out with injuries. Losing #50 (our best lineman) early with a knee injury was a serious blow. Losing #5 with the collar bone fracture hurt too--he was a two starter at DB and WR, also our punter/kicker. Backup punter also injured in game--we were using our emergency punter the second half, hence the bad punts that set ya'll up with good field position. Also lost a front line reciever in the second half with a concussion, another (that made a couple of those 'circus' catches) lost with a dislocated/fractured finger. Sideline looked like a mash unit. No excuses though... SV was the better team and likely would have won even we had been at full strength...

slingshot
12-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Orthopedic surgeons doing a bang up business this week on the south side of Abilene...

football8
12-06-2012, 01:20 AM
you were beat up after S'ville

Hendo
12-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Whoa there Nellie, "deserve to win" is the attitude that draws the ire of everyone else on this board. NO one deserves to win other the winner of the SC game. Every team fights the fight to win, and earns that SC.

I have not had the pleasure of actually seeing the Jackets play this year, and yes I had my doubts about how good they really are, They are GOOD! After dominating a very good Abilene Wylie team, although wounded, I would say Very Good. The Jackets may very well win the state title this year, but to say they deserve the title is a lot over the top!

I agree with you. That was poorly worded on my part. I know every team has worked hard to get to this point in the competition. Let me rephrase. If the Jackets win it all it will be a well deserved victory.

We were beat up. Starting LT out with season ending knee surgery after Greenwood game, starting middle linebacker and only likely DI recruit out with season ending knee injury/surgery since start of season, starting DB out with serious illness, starting OLB out with knee surgery--suited for this game but only played a few downs, several key reserves out with injuries. Losing #50 (our best lineman) early with a knee injury was a serious blow. Losing #5 with the collar bone fracture hurt too--he was a two starter at DB and WR, also our punter/kicker. Backup punter also injured in game--we were using our emergency punter the second half, hence the bad punts that set ya'll up with good field position. Also lost a front line reciever in the second half with a concussion, another (that made a couple of those 'circus' catches) lost with a dislocated/fractured finger. Sideline looked like a mash unit. No excuses though... SV was the better team and likely would have won even we had been at full strength...

Stephenville will bring the pain. Heck Sanchez broke that kids collar bone running the ball and delivering the hard hit.
Teams start loosing players and get banged up and the wheels come off. Stephenville just hits so hard and they are all so physical and fit. They thrive on playing very physical.

slingshot
12-06-2012, 09:26 AM
you were beat up after S'villeThank you Captain Obvious. We were beat up before and after the S'ville game. Like I said--S'ville had the better team and deserved the win... take your compliment, be gracious and move on... Sheesh!

toddg
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Thank you Captain Obvious. We were beat up before and after the S'ville game. Like I said--S'ville had the better team and deserved the win... take your compliment, be gracious and move on... Sheesh!

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13991/cc.jpg (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

LionFan72
12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I agree with you. That was poorly worded on my part. I know every team has worked hard to get to this point in the competition. Let me rephrase. If the Jackets win it all it will be a well deserved victory.

Just pointing out the slips that boils the blood of the haters, the Ville is the real deal, personally thought AW would hang with them, but obviously the jackets were and are just too much this year. Good luck to the Jackets this week and next. I will say Stephenville certainly deserves to play this week!

cowboyandchrist
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Just pointing out the slips that boils the blood of the haters, the Ville is the real deal, personally thought AW would hang with them, but obviously the jackets were and are just too much this year. Good luck to the Jackets this week and next. I will say Stephenville certainly deserves to play this week!

If the Ville beat Kilgore which everybody except a few fans from East Texas think will happen, they will have earned it. I hope Kilgore wins because I am a East Texas fan, I know for Kilgore to win they will have to play a perfect game and the Ville will have to make some mistakes. On the other hand I want what everybody in the state wants to see and that is my Carthage Dawgs going against the Ville for the Title. I believe it would be one of the best games for the championship that anybody could hope for.

Sville
12-06-2012, 08:21 PM
If the Ville beat Kilgore which everybody except a few fans from East Texas think will happen, they will have earned it. I hope Kilgore wins because I am a East Texas fan, I know for Kilgore to win they will have to play a perfect game and the Ville will have to make some mistakes. On the other hand I want what everybody in the state wants to see and that is my Carthage Dawgs going against the Ville for the Title. I believe it would be one of the best games for the championship that anybody could hope for.

At the beginning of the year I said there were two teams in 3A THIS year that I thought had the talent to beat Sville straight up and that was Navasota and Carthage. I still stand by that.

Bosqueville
12-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Dang Taylor Ducks!!!

Sville
12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Dang Taylor Ducks!!!

Yeah an Sville-Sota final might had a 100 combined points in it, about like a Big 12 game.

hollywood
12-15-2012, 08:12 PM
How good is Stephenville this year?

Championship caliber!

Record setting caliber!

A great offense is the best defense! Does defense win championships? Yep. If your offense is unstoppable it's the best defense their is!

hollywood
12-15-2012, 08:17 PM

May the best team win.

Cheers!

Stephenville 2012 is as good as was advertised and will go down as one of the best in it's history.

Proud of the players and coaches who put in all of the preparation and hard work that made it happen!

toddg
12-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Stephenville 2012 is as good as was advertised and will go down as one of the best in it's history.

Proud of the players and coaches who put in all of the preparation and hard work that made it happen!

Can't wait till Alvarado/Stephenville game next year.. It will be extra sweet to beat the defending state champs!! LOL !!

hollywood
12-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Can't wait till Alvarado/Stephenville game next year.. It will be extra sweet to beat the defending state champs!! LOL !!

;)

Love the friendly banter with my good friend toddg. It will be as tough of a challenge next season as this season for Alvarado! :taunt:

The Ville is bringing back enough off of this CHAMPIONSHIP team to be a tough draw next season. Don't count your chickens yet Tanto.

defense51
12-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Yeah an Sville-Sota final might had a 100 combined points in it, about like a Big 12 game.

Or a Ville/El Campo game! :D

toddg
12-16-2012, 12:21 AM
;)

Love the friendly banter with my good friend toddg. It will be as tough of a challenge next season as this season for Alvarado! :taunt:

The Ville is bringing back enough off of this CHAMPIONSHIP team to be a tough draw next season. Don't count your chickens yet Tanto.

looking fwd to the banter and repartee that will surely preceed that game...until then, enjoy being the champs!!!

big daddy russ
12-16-2012, 02:39 AM
Back to the original article, I'd like to hear opinions from folks who got to see Stephenville this year and those Everman teams a few years back. I haven't watched much 3A ball the last few years and I'd like to hear opinions on how they stack up.

With Everman, Forney, and Sinton, among others, there was a glut of truly elite teams during that era. Been wondering how this crop of teams stacks up against those teams.

big daddy russ
12-16-2012, 03:12 AM
I'm sitting here thinking about it, I wonder how all the great teams from different years would stack up.

Everman '01 may be the best team I ever saw. As far as I can remember, they were the fastest.

A lot of elite teams in '01. Forney came up just short of Everman. So did Sinton. DaBryan Blanton was lightning in a bottle for the Jackrabbits and the Pirates sent what seemed like half their team to DI or DII football programs. Another one turned down a chance to play QB for Mack so that he could pitch for Augie. Both those teams were better than most of the championship teams I've seen.

Bob Stoops and Mack Brown were on a first-name basis with hotel clerks in Gilmer for those squads of the mid-00's. Burnet had a lot more than McGee and Jordan Shipley during that little run of theirs, but two future NFLers is always a good place to start.

The Clint Finley-led Cuero teams were something else. TJ Mills' four-peat teams at Sealy were about the only thing that could slow down the Gobblers. Am I missing anyone?

GR FAN
12-16-2012, 03:34 PM
The Everman team was really impressive. Watched them handle the Blanton kid and Forney. I went with a group of Forney fans who built up the world class speed of the Blanton kid on the way to the game, but he might have been the 3rd or 4th fastest kid in pads that night. Watched Gilmer completely dismantle Graham on Friday and was super impressed with them. They could have scored 100 if they wanted. Liked the statement made by the Gilmer coach early in the game, going for two. I thought whoever the Region I rep was, they would have a cake walk to the semis, which they did. The talk about the best teams will always be debated and whichever team you are close to will be at the top of your arguement. Watched alot of the Sville playoff games in the 90's and those teams were impressive. Watched GR lose to Sville this year. Hadnt had the oppty to see Navasota but if what I read is true, SC game could be a great one. "How good is Sville this year?" Maybe I expected to much from them, but they didnt impress me much. Better than GR, sure, but not even in the conversation with their teams of the 90's, Everman 01 would embarass them and maybe the second best 3A team I have seen this year behind Gilmer. Wish we had an +1 to settle these debates.

big daddy russ
12-16-2012, 05:10 PM
The Everman team was really impressive. Watched them handle the Blanton kid and Forney. I went with a group of Forney fans who built up the world class speed of the Blanton kid on the way to the game, but he might have been the 3rd or 4th fastest kid in pads that night....
I covered that game. I still remember the play of the game in my mind was in maybe the third quarter. Blanton--the fastest man in the state--got the edge on an off-tackle play and turned on the jets up the sidelines, blowing past the LB's and heading straight upfield.

Everman's safety didn't have a great angle, still ran him down from behind.

First time I had ever seen Everman, but I already thought Forney was a state championship team from the previous times watching them play. That was the moment I knew I was watching a one of those teams that only comes along every five- to ten years.

toddg
12-16-2012, 06:19 PM
so i guess the Stephenville band will start playing the "hawaii 5-0" song at games next year!

cougartino
12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
They said they were gonna do it from jump street and they did. Congrats!

hollywood
12-18-2012, 12:57 PM
They said they were gonna do it from jump street and they did. Congrats!

Yeppers. I figured they'd loose at least 1 game... Aledo or Alvarado and then gain steam troughout the season on to the Championship. Never did I think they would have lost to Monterrey Prep! Neither did anyone else for that matter... BUT, it was meant to be because they were a total different team the very next week against Aledo and never looked back. Poor Aledo. Thanks to our Mexican friends south of the border! ;)

toddg
12-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeppers. I figured they'd loose at least 1 game... Aledo or Alvarado and then gain steam troughout the season on to the Championship. Never did I think they would have lost to Monterrey Prep! Neither did anyone else for that matter... BUT, it was meant to be because they were a total different team the very next week against Aledo and never looked back. Poor Aledo. Thanks to our Mexican friends south of the border! ;)

via satilite from south of the border:http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/flags/flag-of-mexico.gif (http://www.sherv.net/flag.mexico-emoticon-1064.html)...de nada

Sville
12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
via satilite from south of the border:http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/flags/flag-of-mexico.gif (http://www.sherv.net/flag.mexico-emoticon-1064.html)...de nada

LOL...I literally did on that one!