PDA

View Full Version : Region IV REGIONAL Co-GotW: Geronimo Navarro(10-2) Vs. Port Isabel(9-3)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2012, 09:23 PM
What a treat! NO SPREAD OFFENSES HERE!!!

Option vs. Slot-T

Fans of old school, hard-nosed football should come to this game.

Roughneck93
11-24-2012, 09:38 PM
This will be a good matchup.

Don't be late to this one, it might be over in record time.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Football the way it should be played.

This matchup doesn't get any better than that.

pirate4state
11-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Any idea yet when/where/time???

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2012, 10:01 PM
No word yet.

SHSBulldog00
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Won't find out until Sunday.

pirate4state
11-24-2012, 10:27 PM
They should play in Calallen

bag-o-chips
11-24-2012, 10:39 PM
What I heard as well! saturday!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I just heard Calallen on Saturday as well, but no word on the time just yet.

pirate4state
11-24-2012, 11:32 PM
It makes perfect sense. If it happens, I'm there! Whoot.

Phil C
11-25-2012, 12:35 AM
I wish we could get a playoff game in Sinton. We have a great stadium and parking is now outstanding.

LH Panther Mom
11-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Any idea yet when/where/time???
Saturday @ Calallen, time is TBA

YTBulldogs
11-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I wish we could get a playoff game in Sinton. We have a great stadium and parking is now outstanding.

:thumbsup:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Saturday @ Calallen, time is TBA

Saturday Dec, 1st
Wildcat Stadium @ Calallen
Kickoff @ 6pm

Port Isabel is the home team.

SHSBulldog00
11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
956 Sports has received permission to do the PI vs Navarro game this week!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Excellent! They do a very good job.

Ernest T Bass
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Good to see the Tarps back in the mix of things.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Good to see the Tarps back in the mix of things.

Indeed! These last several years just weren't the same. Seemed odd to NOT have Tarpon football making noise at this time if year.

I sure did miss those road trips to go watch Tarpon playoff football. Glad to have it back!

Cam
11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Go Tarpons!....everytime I hear that name I wish I was in the Laguna Madre (my old stompin' grounds) fishing for specks, reds, and the occasional flounder......never have caught a Tarpon though.......

rojosgirl
11-26-2012, 01:53 PM
GOOD LUCK to Coach Stump and the Tarpons!

garciap77
11-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Good luck Tarpons!!!!:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

footballgal
11-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Well alright ! :-)
Go Tarpons Go!

Gal

SintonFan
11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Go Tarpons!
Kick some ASH!!! ;)

bag-o-chips
11-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Better watch my Panthers! The Slot T is working good just ask Scoop 27 and Wharton! This should be a really fun game and looking forward to saturday!

Tejastrue
11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Go Panthers!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Here's a couple of really good pictures of Port Isabel's game vs. Sinton

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/703593_449912775046628_106761131_o.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/679803_449918408379398_848739737_o.jpg

YTBulldogs
11-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I think Navarro will be a tad more successful doing what they do best. Should be a great quick game, with Navarro pulling away in the 4th, 42-28.

whitelightning5
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Here's a couple of really good pictures of Port Isabel's game vs. Sinton

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/703593_449912775046628_106761131_o.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/679803_449918408379398_848739737_o.jpg

Some of those kids look like grown men...hahaha. Hopefully we will see the winner next week.

rico
11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello, this is my first post in this forum. I usually post in the 956 forum.
Just want to say good luck to the Port Isabel Tarpons. Great game against
Sinton. It's obvious we're underdogs to Navarro but I wouldn't count
PI out, they are playing with determination and heart. Not to mention the
fact that PI does have several players that contribute, not just one star.
Going to be a good game, GO TARPONS!

bag-o-chips
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Don't know what you may have been told about Navarro but our 4 Rbs have for the year 1576 and 1327 and 906 and 589 yds rushing, Our offense has over 5500 yds for the year. We are far from being a one star show! Good luck and it will be a Great Game!

rico
11-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Never said Navaroo was a one star show. All I said was PI didn't have just one star.
Don't get ahead of yourself b-o-c. You are right, the Panthers do have guys that can
run. Good luck.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Going to be a good game, GO TARPONS!Welcome Rico, good to see you here also :) Good luck to your Tarpoons.

rico
11-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Welcome Rico, good to see you here also :) Good luck to your Tarpoons.
Thanks for the warm welcome SFA. This is a nice forum. Glad to be a part of it.
That quarterback you guys have is pretty good. Have a feeling we'll be seeing
you guys next year as well. Good luck.

Yoe_09
11-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Thoughts & Predictions?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-28-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm not one to make predictions, though I went full on homer and picked PI above, just because I'm a homer. Can you blame me?

Navarro runs a Slot-T, an offense that is all too familiar to several members of the coaching staff at Port Isabel. They were players under Tony Villarreal (another Slot-T coach who learned from Charlie Williams & Bruce Bush) back in the 1990s when Port Isabel ran the Slot-T.

Also, the current PI defensive coordinator, Mike Royce, is a former head coach who ran a Wing-T which we all know is a variation of the Slot-T.

As far as Navarro is concerned, I believe they will have a speed advantage over PI. What little film I've seen of Navarro, I can tell they are very disciplined and their technique is crisp. Port Isabel will need to minimize penalties and mistakes, which have plagued them in the past. As we all know, once you go farther in the playoffs, any little mistake can be the death of you.

I'm very much looking forward to attending this game. I can't remember the last time I attended a football game where NONE of the teams ran "The Spread." People who enjoy good, old fashioned, hard nosed, 3 yards and a cloud of dust football should make every effort to attend this game. It should be a good one!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-28-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm not one to make predictions, though I went full on homer and picked PI above, just because I'm a homer. Can you blame me?

Navarro runs a Slot-T, an offense that is all too familiar to several members of the coaching staff at Port Isabel. They were players under Tony Villarreal (another Slot-T coach who learned from Charlie Williams & Bruce Bush) back in the 1990s when Port Isabel ran the Slot-T.

Also, the current PI defensive coordinator, Mike Royce, is a former head coach who ran a Wing-T which we all know is a variation of the Slot-T.

As far as Navarro is concerned, I believe they will have a speed advantage over PI. What little film I've seen of Navarro, I can tell they are very disciplined and their technique is crisp. Port Isabel will need to minimize penalties and mistakes, which have plagued them in the past. As we all know, once you go farther in the playoffs, any little mistake can be the death of you.

I'm very much looking forward to attending this game. I can't remember the last time I attended a football game where NONE of the teams ran "The Spread." People who enjoy good, old fashioned, hard nosed, 3 yards and a cloud of dust football should make every effort to attend this game. It should be a good one!Almost old fashion with the exception of the cloud of dust as it'll be on turf :)

bag-o-chips
11-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Should be a very good and fast game ! Gotta love my Panthers!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Fast enough that I may still be able to catch some "Happy Hour" action somewhere? lol

I'm always down for celebratory drinks/drowning my sorrows after a long drive for a playoff game.

pirate4state
11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/sports/article_f3ea0f68-391e-11e2-a77f-0019bb30f31a.html

footballgal
11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Courtesy of Nfcfan
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/29/agagy6uz.jpg

garciap77
11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Nice pics TarponFanInNorthTexas!

garciap77
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Going to be a good game, GO TARPONS!

Welcome!!!! Hope you visit often!! Go Tarpons!!!!

StangEm
11-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have season stats on either or both of these teams? I'm curious to know who they played and how they fared.

bag-o-chips
11-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Port Isabel - http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?mkt=sanantonio&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=5248&SchoolID=&Season=2012&DistrictID=&SearchDate=11%2F29%2F12&SearchDateEnd=11%2F29%2F12&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=11&SearchType=Teams

bag-o-chips
11-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Navarro - http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?mkt=sanantonio&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=4188&SchoolID=&Season=2012&DistrictID=&SearchDate=11%2F29%2F12&SearchDateEnd=11%2F29%2F12&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=11&SearchType=Teams

footballgal
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Does anyone have season stats on either or both of these teams? I'm curious to know who they played and how they fared.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/30/tere2u9u.jpg
On the stats not sure if they are complete but this is what the SA paper has
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/30/u6uty9ad.jpg

lbjacj
11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Navarro by 14+

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Don't let some of those scores fool you.

IIRC, the Brownsville Vets game we were at full strength but the OL wasn't what it is now. But still, only lost by 3 points to a 5A team that made it to the 2nd Round and gave Del Rio a good game.

The Raymondville game was headed to OT, but there were multiple backups in, including QB. QB threw a pick 6 that cost us the game.

The only really bad game PI has had when they were truly at full strength was that Hidalgo game. Several turnovers, penalties, etc.

PI can easily be a 1 loss team at this point. But usually, PI starts slow then they hit their stride.

Should be a great game.

bag-o-chips
11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
For the three years Navarro has been in 3a it seems like we garner very little respect nor support. But I guess for the new kids on the 3a scene that is to be expected. I guess we had a let down last year losing in Bi - District after playing in the Regional finals our first year in 3a . What little respect we have earned has come from Wimberley and I thank them for that. We only have about 500 enrollment and shoddy facilities but we are getting better.

We will show up and play our game Saturday! Win or lose our opponents will know they were in a game!

Go Panthers!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Man, I should hold my tongue, but in this case I can't.

You should try spending some time in the Rio Grande Valley sometime.

The people there love their football and their towns. But the area gets very little respect because of our location and our demographic. Ironically, the biggest bullies are the people from the San Antonio area. So brazen is their disrespect towards the RGV that they call the 3rd Round of the playoffs "Valley Weak." Although that is mainly directed to the 5A schools in the RGV, it also indirectly affects Port Isabel because we too are in the RGV. You should see the insults we get. IBM's, "wetbacks", and taunts of "go play soccer."

The RGV is unique in that when there is only 1 team left in the playoffs, there will be fans from all over the RGV supporting and cheering for that last remaining team. Nowhere else in the great state of Texas will you see that.

Currently there are 4 teams left. Two of them play Friday. IF they both lose, those fans as well as the other fans from other schools who were eliminated early in the playoffs, or whose team didn't make it, they will most likely be at the Port Isabel game as well. So expect a very large crowd cheering for the Tarpons.

So when you say Navarro gets very little respect, understand what people from the Rio Grande Valley go through EVERY YEAR. You can thank your neighbors from San Antonio for that.

Tejastrue
11-29-2012, 03:17 PM
For the three years Navarro has been in 3a it seems like we garner very little respect nor support. But I guess for the new kids on the 3a scene that is to be expected. I guess we had a let down last year losing in Bi - District after playing in the Regional finals our first year in 3a . What little respect we have earned has come from Wimberley and I thank them for that. We only have about 500 enrollment and shoddy facilities but we are getting better.

We will show up and play our game Saturday! Win or lose our opponents will know they were in a game!

Go Panthers!

We are there for you bag-o-chips. Will be a hard fought battle but Navarro takes control in the 2nd half and moves on to the region finals against Bellville!!.

Cam
11-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Man, I should hold my tongue, but in this case I can't.

You should try spending some time in the Rio Grande Valley sometime.

The people there love their football and their towns. But the area gets very little respect because of our location and our demographic. Ironically, the biggest bullies are the people from the San Antonio area. So brazen is their disrespect towards the RGV that they call the 3rd Round of the playoffs "Valley Weak." Although that is mainly directed to the 5A schools in the RGV, it also indirectly affects Port Isabel because we too are in the RGV. You should see the insults we get. IBM's, "wetbacks", and taunts of "go play soccer."

The RGV is unique in that when there is only 1 team left in the playoffs, there will be fans from all over the RGV supporting and cheering for that last remaining team. Nowhere else in the great state of Texas will you see that.

Currently there are 4 teams left. Two of them play Friday. IF they both lose, those fans as well as the other fans from other schools who were eliminated early in the playoffs, or whose team didn't make it, they will most likely be at the Port Isabel game as well. So expect a very large crowd cheering for the Tarpons.

So when you say Navarro gets very little respect, understand what people from the Rio Grande Valley go through EVERY YEAR. You can thank your neighbors from San Antonio for that.

And thank poster Saggy Aggie as well....I believe it was him who once said something to the effect that south Texas teams were just a bunch of "slow Mexicans".......:doh:...........Go Tarpons!.....

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-29-2012, 04:01 PM
One of the worst offenders on this site is "Panocha Villa." You should see some of the crap he comes up with.

Roughneck93
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
One of the worst offenders on this site is "Panocha Villa." You should see some of the crap he comes up with.

:eek:...LOL...:tisk:

99IHSMustang
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM

:iagree:

pirate4state
11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
You guys are way too sensitive...Jesus. ..

99IHSMustang
11-29-2012, 09:46 PM
You guys are way too sensitive...Jesus. ..

You and Pancho should go out on a date. The both of you would probably make a cute couple. :evillol:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-29-2012, 09:50 PM

OMFG!!!! LMFAO!!! I was typing that on my iPhone earlier this afternoon and WOW I totally didn't see auto-correct change "Pancho" to that other word that will remain unspoken. However, that IS funny as hell!

99IHSMustang
11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
OMFG!!!! LMFAO!!! I was typing that on my iPhone earlier this afternoon and WOW I totally didn't see auto-correct change "Pancho" to that other word that will remain unspoken. However, that IS funny as hell!

I didn't catch that until you just mentioned it... haha :spitlol:

MUSTANG69
11-29-2012, 10:00 PM
You and Pancho should go out on a date. The both of you would probably make a cute couple. :evillol:

:clap:

Roughneck93
11-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Hilarious!! I noticed it right away. :)

bag-o-chips
11-30-2012, 02:24 AM
Pregame coverage

http://seguingazette.com/sports/article_f9c418a0-3a7e-11e2-9d25-0019bb2963f4.html

footballgal
11-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Pregame coverage

http://seguingazette.com/sports/article_f9c418a0-3a7e-11e2-9d25-0019bb2963f4.html

Navarro to battle Port Isabel in Corpus
Scot Kibbe | Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 12:00 am
CORPUS CHRISTI — The Navarro Panthers (10-2) will try to keep rolling Saturday when they meet the Port Isabel Tarpons (9-3) in a regional semifinal game at Corpus Christi Calallen’s Wildcat Stadium.
Through two playoff games, the Panthers have rushed for more than 1,000 yards, scored 113 points and trailed for less than five minutes. They have yet to punt and have turned the ball over just once.
For the season, Navarro is averaging nearly 43 points and more than 400 yards rushing per game. Both are school records.
Those performances keep opposing coaches like Port Isabel’s Monty Stumbaugh quite busy.
“I’ve seen a lot of film on them but I still haven’t seen anybody stop them,” he said. “They’re doing exactly what they want to do.
“We’re not going to be able to stop them, but we have to find a way to slow them down.”
Navarro head coach Les Goad, whose team has advanced to this round for the second time in the last three seasons, sees differences in his team from earlier in the year.
“They’re more detail-oriented and are really studying our opponents,” he said. “They’re understanding things better and going well beyond the basics.
“Morale and confidence on this team are really high.”
The Tarpons are also likely to feel confident entering this game. Though it has not been this far in the playoffs since 2004, Port Isabel has a long tradition of playoff success. In the past 20 years, the Tarpons have eliminated powerhouses Liberty Hill, Altair Rice, Cuero and Hondo. They reached the state semi-finals in 2003.
Port Isabel also appears to be playing its best football of the year, coming off a 53-26 pounding of Sinton.
“We had some injuries early in the year but our kids didn’t panic,” Stumbaugh, whose team started the season at 1-2, said. “We knew if we could run the ball and play good defense we would win games.”
Port Isabel has not put up Navarro-type numbers but it has run the ball effectively with nearly 4,000 rushing yards in its multiple I offense. Running back Jacob Losoya leads the team with 1,126 yards and nine touchdowns, followed by Javier Vela’s 715 yards and 11 TDs.
Goad says the teams have a lot in common.
“Their style is like ours, just not their system,” he said. “They control the ball and play physical.
“But they run a lot of formations and a lot of option. Their quarterback (Isaiah Martinez) runs well and does a good job reading the defense.”
Like Navarro, the Tarpons pass rarely but efficiently. They threw just three passes against Sinton but two were for touchdowns (66 and 43 yards).
Goad said their offensive line is “huge” with similar size to previous Panther opponents Antonian and Wimberley.
Port Isabel runs a 4-3 defense that Goad says “penetrates well and will be a handful.” He is especially impressed with defensive ends Jacques Guillot and Miguel Ramirez.
The Tarpons can also score on special teams. Last week, Kenneth Herrera returned the opening kickoff 71 yards for a touchdown.
“They are very dangerous on returns,” Goad said. “They find the holes and hit them going full speed.”
Goad believes facing a run-oriented opponent will put more pressure on his offense.
“We’re not going to get that many possessions so every series is important,” he said. “We have to continue what we’ve been doing and finish off drives.”
The winner of this game will meet the winner of the Bellville-Orange Grove matchup, which will take place Saturday night in Converse.
Navarro and Port Isabel will kick off at 6 p.m.
PANTHER NOTES: Fullback Evan DeLeon needs just 94 yards to become the third Panther running back to reach 1,000 yards for the season. He would join Zane Conlin (1,576 yards) and L.J. Anderson (1,327 yards) as the first trio in Panther history to surpass that mark in the same season.
This is the fourth time that the Panthers have won 10 games in a season. A win on Saturday would match their all-time high of 11 wins, set in 2010.
Saturday’s game in Corpus Christi will be the farthest south that the Panthers have played in their 42-year history.

ogg
11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Will the Valley produce a 3a state champ? Not this year, Navarro by a bunch.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Thank you for your prediction Ogg. More fuel to the fire for our kids.

If PI doesn't win state this year (not expecting it) then they will definitely have a shot next season. PI will return 8 Off / 9 Def starters next season off a team that has made it to the 3rd round so far. Possibly further if they win tomorrow evening.

bag-o-chips
11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
4 - Area high school football teams that amassed more than 5,000 yards of total offense this season: Navarro (5,539), Madison (5,260), Judson (5,214) and Steele (5,101). Navarro, Madison and Steele are all still in the playoffs.
17 - Area vol

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Outside-the-box-4078860.php#ixzz2DipbG8Pe

panfan
11-30-2012, 11:57 AM
4 - Area high school football teams that amassed more than 5,000 yards of total offense this season: Navarro (5,539), Madison (5,260), Judson (5,214) and Steele (5,101). Navarro, Madison and Steele are all still in the playoffs.
17 - Area vol

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/Outside-the-box-4078860.php#ixzz2DipbG8Pe

Sadly, My alma matta, Judson, is out. Good Luck Navarro - to bad we got moved - I think we might just be playing ya'll or Wimberley now.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Will the Valley produce a 3a state champ? Not this year, Navarro by a bunch.surely won't be region IV team, don't you know its Stephenville in D1 and D2 Navasota have already been mailed their state championship rings?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2012, 12:03 PM

If PI doesn't win state this year (not expecting it) then they will definitely have a shot next season. PI will return 8 Off / 9 Def starters next season off a team that has made it to the 3rd round so far. Possibly further if they win tomorrow evening.Don't put to much stock from year to year things can happen during a season...injuries

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Don't put to much stock from year to year things can happen during a season...injuries

Of course, you are absolutely correct. That's what happened at the start of this season. Injury bug.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Of course, you are absolutely correct. That's what happened at the start of this season. Injury bug.sometimes can linger all season

SintonFan_inAustin
11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
not predicting who'll win but will root for PI to move to the next round.

Don't know much about Navarro only from couple of yrs ago.

pirate4state
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM

I don't think his wife would appreciate that. I've met them both though and they both think Ingleside sucks! :D

ogg
11-30-2012, 01:03 PM

If PI doesn't win state this year (not expecting it) then they will definitely have a shot next season. PI will return 8 Off / 9 Def starters next season off a team that has made it to the 3rd round so far. Possibly further if they win tomorrow evening.

Three points to share, 1) I gotta go with my home boys Navarro,(my district) great fans and a clean well coached team. 2) I'd love to see a valley team (PI) win state championship. 3) I had PI in my region 4 top ten, , maybe the only forum member not from PI to do that.

Good luck Tarponfan!

rico
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
go tarpons!

bag-o-chips
11-30-2012, 04:06 PM
go panthers !!!!!!!!!

rico
11-30-2012, 04:12 PM
go tarpons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

footballgal
11-30-2012, 08:06 PM
TARPON FEVER!!!
:D

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/eqaqu2ev.jpg

lbjacj
11-30-2012, 08:09 PM
TARPON FEVER!!!

Luv it!!!

SintonFan
11-30-2012, 09:08 PM
TARPON FEVER!!!

Lol too cool!

McHi
11-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Had a friend call me telling me that in the San Antonio to Austin area they are expecting Navarro to win by + 60 points or more, however I have not seen anything to stated that PI is not as good as Pleasenton who lost to Navarro by 76 to 49. So can someone shead some light as to why they thing Port Isabel will loss by +60 Points? This is a very big spread for sport forcasters out of San Antonio and Austin to be making. Did I miss something? I did not thing Port Isabel was that weak!

Tejastrue
11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Like to know the source of that info!! LOL!!!

McHi
11-30-2012, 09:50 PM
I have been a bit distracted with the coach dismissal at McHi. They demoted the Head Coach down to head up the Janitoral staff, which has lead to a number of letters being summited to the McAllen School Board. So I have been a bit out of touch with all of the discussion on PI. I hope they play a good game. It appears that Sharyland and EE are losing. Shary 6 S.A. Mat 23 EE 0 S.A. Brm 21.

McHi
11-30-2012, 09:59 PM
I have seen alot of 5A football this year, however they hardest hit I have seen came from Port Isabel against La Feria. Some kid number 82 from PI hit a La Feria blocker on a kick off return so hard that the blocker was airborn and flew right into the return man knocking him down. That was quite a shot. Like I said seen alot of 5A ball and have on two ocasions seen a few quarter of football with PI, but have not seen a hit like that in quite awhile, and I mean many years.

rb585
11-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Had a friend call me telling me that in the San Antonio to Austin area they are expecting Navarro to win by + 60 points or more, however I have not seen anything to stated that PI is not as good as Pleasenton who lost to Navarro by 76 to 49. So can someone shead some light as to why they thing Port Isabel will loss by +60 Points? This is a very big spread for sport forcasters out of San Antonio and Austin to be making. Did I miss something? I did not thing Port Isabel was that weak!

Score updates would be much more awesome than stupid stuff like this...

McHi
11-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I did provide some scores. Been busy this week have not had time to see any news or news papers. Scores from the Shary vs SA. Mat. Sh 6 SA. Mat 23 at Half EE 0 SA. Brm 21 start of 4th Qtr.

McHi
11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Update score in 4th Qtr. SA. Brm (Bears) 28 Edcouch Elsa (Jackets) 0

McHi
11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
SA. Brm 42 EE 0 with 1:42 left in the 4th qtr.

McHi
11-30-2012, 11:03 PM
SA. Mat 37 Sharyland 6

footballgal
11-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Score updates would be much more awesome than stupid stuff like this...

I am sorry Mchi but i have to agree, thats just a silly string of posts.

McHi
11-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Very slow thread. Look like two Rio Grande Valley teams exiting the High School Play off's. Guess that make the SA. Area happy and as they predicted! Good Night 3A.

big daddy russ
11-30-2012, 11:19 PM
So what happened? In the Port Isabel game, not the EE game or the Sharyland game or the Dallas Cowboys game.

SintonFan
11-30-2012, 11:24 PM
So what happened? In the Port Isabel game, not the EE game or the Sharyland game or the Dallas Cowboys game.

PI plays on Saturday. lol

big daddy russ
11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Gotcha.

rb585
11-30-2012, 11:29 PM
FNR had them tonight, and just corrected it.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Both Sharyland (5A) and Edcouch Elsa (4A) got blown out by SA Madison and SA Brennan respectively.

Tomorrow Edinburg North plays Cibolo Steele, and of course PI/Navarro

footballgal
12-01-2012, 12:52 AM
What time is it??

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-01-2012, 12:52 AM
what time s it??

it's tarpon time!!!

SintonFan_inAustin
12-01-2012, 01:20 AM
FNR had them tonight, and just corrected it.My uncle was heading to the game from Sinton because he saw it was today, made it half way when he call me if i was going to the game and told him it was saturday lol!

SintonFan_inAustin
12-01-2012, 01:22 AM
What time is it??Show me the PTI watch! :)

rico
12-01-2012, 07:11 AM
It's TARPON TIME!

footballgal
12-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Show me the PTI watch! :)

Can't find the picture and the watch is nowhere to be found... its been years lol

Gal

footballgal
12-01-2012, 09:35 AM
My uncle was heading to the game from Sinton because he saw it was today, made it half way when he call me if i was going to the game and told him it was saturday lol!

aww man that's terrible lol
Gal

footballgal
12-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Tarpons set for playoff date with Navarro
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/3egumeta.jpg
Armando Garza | Valley Morning Star updated: 9 hours ago
CORPUS CHRISTI — Sure, there’ll be some nice throws at Wildcat Stadium tonight.

Maybe a few penalty flags from the officials or perhaps a set of car keys in the stands.

Other than that, passes on the field will certainly be at a premium.

Port Isabel and Geronimo Navarro are two teams that love to grind it out with solid running games and they’ll meet tonight in a Class 3A, Division II regional semifinal game on the turf at Calallen.

The winner advances to next week’s regional final against either Bellville or Orange Grove. A PI win would put them in the state quarters for the first time since 2003’s magical season.

As a team, Port Isabel (9-3) has rushed for a hair under 4,000 yards through 12 games. Navarro’s been on fire in the playoffs and their 12-game total is 4,826 yards.

“There’s not gonna be a whole lot of finesse,” Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “They’re very good and they’re gonna run the football and so are we. We’re both similar and that’s no secret. That’s what they do and they’re pretty good at it.”

The Panthers (10-2) run the Slot-T formation under veteran coach Les Goad, a Bruce Bush pupil for a time. Navarro went for an astounding 600-plus rushing yards and 10 touchdowns in a 76-49 bi-district win over Pleasanton. They beat Wharton 37-22 last week.

“It should be a fast one,” Goad said with a laugh. “We’ve done well running the ball and this year. But they (PI) remind me a lot of our philosophy. Their scheme’s a little different, but I know their philosophy is very similar to ours.”

In six seasons under Goad, this is Navarro’s fifth playoff appearance. And that “done well” comment was Goad being modest: This year’s squad set the Navarro record for team rushing yards.

“We’re a little above what we normally are,” Goad said. “I think we’re a little more balanced among the backs. We’ve been dominated by one back most years but this year we’ve spread it out a little bit.”

The big cats for the Panthers are running backs Zane Colin (1,576 yards, 25 TDs) and L.J. Anderson (1,327, 15 TDs). Junior RB Evan DeLeon (906, 16 TDs) isn’t far behind.

“We know we have to stop the run and get some stops,” Stumbaugh said, adding the extra day to prepare helped since PI will be facing a Slot-T offense for the second time this year. “We’re gonna have to slow them down and be disciplined on defense. They do a good job of keeping the ball and driving it. Knowing what people do and stopping it are two different things. So we’ll find out (today).”

Port Isabel, meanwhile, beat Lyford (40-20) in bi-district before posting an impressive 53-26 win over Sinton last week.

For the Tarpons, Jacob Losoya (1,187 yards, 9 TDs) is the leading rusher on the year. Javier Vela (927, 12 TDs) was the high man against the Pirates, going for 112 yards. Quarterback Isaiah Martinez threw two touchdowns last week and accounted for 117 yards.

“We played pretty good last week and we’re gonna have to play pretty good this week and jack it up to another level,” Stumbaugh said.

Goad and the Panthers are impressed with the Tarps and their level of play.

“They’re a very physical football team. They have those drives where they keep the ball away from you and don’t give you many opportunities,” Goad said. “They’re gonna be hard to stop. They’re big and physical up front. “

Their backs run very hard. Their quarterback is dangerous and he throws the ball well too,” Goad added.

This is only second time in Navarro history to reach third round, the first coming in 2010 when they reached quarterfinals in first 3A season.

“I hope our kids understand the level of play that we’re at,” Goad said. “Each week it gets a little bigger and more intense. I certainly know Port Isabel has a lot more tradition there. They’ve been there before and I know they’ll have a big following. I certainly hope our kids will respond.”

McHi
12-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Sorry Football Girl for the silly post in your mine and some others. I will be supporting Port Isabel first and foremost because Valley Schools and their fans must stick together and support each other since we are seen by the rest of the great state of Texas as the Rodney Dangerfield’s of football. I asked a question and then get questioned on how I asked it. Now I hope I make my opinion clear on this game and it is only based on the entire statistic and various teams these two teams have faced.
1. Speed and I mean speed goes to Navarro
2. Offense based on yards rushing and passing goes to Navarro
3. Defense based on strengths of teams goes to Navarro
4. Special Teams based on strengths of teams goes to Navarro
5. Fan Support goes to Port Isabel
Based on all of this Navarro is a clear winner am I mean a “clear winner”, and based on what Navarro defense has done I am not sure if Port Isabel will score. Please keep in mind that Wimberley only beat them by a single point and that they held a very good Wimberley team to only 20 points. The only common team I could even find that any of Port Isabel opponents had was between Sinton and Yoakum in which Yoakum won 34 to 20. Yoakum played Wharton in the playoffs and lost to Wharton and Wharton lost to Navarro. While my heart will be with Port Isabel and Edinburg North tonight, the cold hard facts are extremely glaring and are just not in favor of winning outcome. So the only think I can do is hope and pray for a miracle, so let me repeat that one more time “So the only think I can do is hope and pray for a miracle”. Good luck to Port Isabel from McHi!

SintonFan_inAustin
12-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Sorry Football Girl for the silly post in your mine and some others. I will be supporting Port Isabel first and foremost because Valley Schools and their fans must stick together and support each other since we are seen by the rest of the great state of Texas as the Rodney Dangerfield’s of football. I asked a question and then get questioned on how I asked it. Now I hope I make my opinion clear on this game and it is only based on the entire statistic and various teams these two teams have faced.
1. Speed and I mean speed goes to Navarro
2. Offense based on yards rushing and passing goes to Navarro
3. Defense based on strengths of teams goes to Navarro
4. Special Teams based on strengths of teams goes to Navarro
5. Fan Support goes to Port Isabel
Based on all of this Navarro is a clear winner am I mean a “clear winner”, and based on what Navarro defense has done I am not sure if Port Isabel will score. Please keep in mind that Wimberley only beat them by a single point and that they held a very good Wimberley team to only 20 points. The only common team I could even find that any of Port Isabel opponents had was between Sinton and Yoakum in which Yoakum won 34 to 20. Yoakum played Wharton in the playoffs and lost to Wharton and Wharton lost to Navarro. While my heart will be with Port Isabel and Edinburg North tonight, the cold hard facts are extremely glaring and are just not in favor of winning outcome. So the only think I can do is hope and pray for a miracle, so let me repeat that one more time “So the only think I can do is hope and pray for a miracle”. Good luck to Port Isabel from McHi!

lol.

if you want to do this play that team that play that team scenarios i'll use one also.
Navarro lost to SA Antonian Prep 35-21, SA Antonian Prep also beat Devine 27-6 so going by that looks like Devine and Navarro about the same, good so far? K Orange Grove shut out Devine 49-0 and Orange Grove only loss was to Sinton 42-28 and Sinton lost to Port Isabel 53-26. If we use your theory this is a one sided game for Port Isabel BUT games are about matchups and different teams stack up different.

McHi
12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
You forgot the Stats!

Tejastrue
12-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Navarro is much, much better now than early in the season and they were pretty good then. In our game they outplayed us and deserved a better fate. It appears they are getting that now. Best of luck to both teams but I believe Navarro will win this game by at least 2 tds.

footballgal
12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Navarro..I believe Navarro will win this game by at least 2 tds.

So I keep hearing and reading, we'll All find out soon enough. :-)
Go Big Blue!!
Gal

ogg
12-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Watch out for Navarro's pass to the short post route, that's a 3rd and 4th down special.

bag-o-chips
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
End of 1. Nav.13. Pi. 0

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
19-14 Navarro @ Halftime

Port Isabel gets the ball to start the 2nd half.

bag-o-chips
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Great game just as expected

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
How's our crowd?

footballgal
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
25 Navarro PI 20

footballgal
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
4th qtr same score need a 4th down stop

Gal

footballgal
12-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww FG Navarro aftr big time penalty for pi 4min left in the game :-\ 28 Navarro PI 20. Now a rookie mistake by soph rb takin the ball out

Gal

SintonFan_inAustin
12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww FG Navarro aftr big time penalty for pi 4min left in the game :-\ 28 Navarro PI 20. Now a rookie mistake by soph rb takin the ball out

Gal

yea i was like kneel it! but worked out ok afterall :)

footballgal
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Overtime!!! Tied at 28

footballgal
12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Td PI Navarros Turn Pi 35 Navarro 28

SintonFan_inAustin
12-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Congrats Port Isabel Tarpons, woohoo keep it going win the region next week.

McHi
12-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Congrats Tarpons, great game lots of heart! I know stats sometime dont account for heart! I thought the annoucer was going to have a heart attack! What a win! What a win for the Rio Grande Valley. Sinton from a valley fan you will always have our support for support a valley team, many thanks!!!!!!!!

bag-o-chips
12-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Congrats to a great team. Keep it going next week. Wow pushed the scrum in with one second and a 2 pt to tie! Really a very good game. Too bad we lost but somebody has to lose.

footballgal
12-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Congrats Tarpons, so proud of you!

footballgal
12-01-2012, 10:15 PM
What a game! That's why the play the game!

Congrats to Navarro they played a great game, almost a flawless game. Tarpons beat a very good Panther team with a great running game.

Gal

McHi
12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks like Port Isabel is the only team from the Rio Grande Valley left standing! So valley fans lets get behind Port Isabel and support our valley teams!

footballgal
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Looks like Port Isabel is the only team from the Rio Grande Valley left standing! So valley fans lets get behind Port Isabel and support our valley teams!

Wrong Board McHi lol but thanks for your support ;-)

Gal

garciap77
12-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Congrats Tarpons!!!!

footballgal
12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Congrats Tarpons!!!!

Thanks Garcia77 for always supporting the Tarpons ;-)

Gal

lbjacj
12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
http://seguingazette.com/sports/article_3c9c18bc-3c5a-11e2-8bb7-001a4bcf887a.html

rico
12-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Will the Valley produce a 3a state champ? Not this year, Navarro by a bunch.
Even if PI lost they were't going to lose by a bunch. But got to give respect where respect is due, Navarro
played a heck of a game and they have a heck of a team. What I gather from the some of the PI players, the
Navarro players played a clean game and were good sports. I really enjoyed watching a great game between
these two fine teams.

lbjacj
12-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Even if PI lost they were't going to lose by a bunch. But got to give respect where respect is due, Navarro
played a heck of a game and they have a heck of a team. What I gather from the some of the PI players, the
Navarro players played a clean game and were good sports. I really enjoyed watching a great game between
these two fine teams.

The Panthers are a class act and represented D27 well! GL next week!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I am an automatic fan of ANY team that runs the Slot-T, but Navarro is also very disciplined and sound. They've got my respect, big time. Great team.

Tejastrue
12-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I admit I though Navarro would pull away in the 2nd half. The two teams were indeed evenly matched although the special teams play hurt Navarro. Got to make those PATs. Congrats again to the Tarpons and best of luck next week. Congrats Panthers on another great season and I echoe what lbjacj said.

bag-o-chips
12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the nice words about Navarro. We call it the Navarro way with respect and discipline. Yes the extra points hurt just as they hurt in the Wimberley game. One point and we would have been Ok. Hand it to PI to have something to do with it as well. It was a great game and as I have said it is a shame in a game like this that one team will lose!
Hey we wone for 47 minutes and 59 seconds! One second did us in! Congrats again to PI and get after Bellville!

rico
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the nice words about Navarro. We call it the Navarro way with respect and discipline. Yes the extra points hurt just as they hurt in the Wimberley game. One point and we would have been Ok. Hand it to PI to have something to do with it as well. It was a great game and as I have said it is a shame in a game like this that one team will lose!
Hey we wone for 47 minutes and 59 seconds! One second did us in! Congrats again to PI and get after Bellville!
In all fairness, PI did have the lead twice before the final score. 14-13 and 20-19 although Navarro came right back.
Good luck and hope to play you guys next year. Maybe even see you in 7 on 7.

footballgal
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Have to admit that PI penalties were critical and helped set up a couple of the Navarro scores, making it harder for PI D to stop Navarro but seawall D came through when it counted.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-02-2012, 06:09 PM
And the 956Sports site just got hacked by a couple of jerks. Unreal.....

Tejastrue
12-02-2012, 06:24 PM
And the 956Sports site just got hacked by a couple of jerks. Unreal.....

I saw that. Jerks indeed. It is back to normal now.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Not for me. I still get the hacked page.