PDA

View Full Version : WOS/Columbia update thread

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:03 PM
WOS will receive the opening kickoff.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Decent drive by WOS but qb is sacked and fumbles. Necks recover and take over on own 31.

WOS87
11-23-2012, 07:12 PM
...and WC fumbles. WOS has ball on WC 29yd line

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:12 PM
First play WC throws a bomb to a wide open receiver, but it's dropped. Would've been a TD. Next play the necks fumble and WOS takes over on 30 yd line

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:16 PM
WOS screen passes are tearing WC defense up. TD WOS.

15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct for doing a front flip into the end zone.

7-0 mustangs 6:45 1st qt

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:28 PM
WOS is putting 10 guys in the box daring WC to pass. Decent drive down to WOS 23 yd line. 4th and 9. Going for it.

Timeout WOS.

Incomplete. Mustangs ball

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:39 PM
WOS sacked on 3rd and long.

Necks ball on own 19 after the punt.

Roughneck93
11-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Changing out the center this late in the season is hurting us tonight.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:43 PM
WC went backwards 5 yds and punt coming.

WOS ball on own 49.

WOS87
11-23-2012, 07:43 PM
WOS started shaky.. hopefully they can pull it together... WC punting from their own 10 yard line

WOS 1st and 10 at WOS 49

6 minutes left in the half

Dub-C
11-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Changing out the center this late in the season is hurting us tonight.

That is Just one of the problems I have witnessed. Just saying.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Teams just exchanged 3 and outs. WOS good field position.

2nd bad snap so far for our new center ...

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
TD WOS on a nice pass.

14-0 WOS

33 seconds left til half. Their defense is as advertised. Doesn't help that we're painfully 1 dimensional and we dropped the only pass where we had them burned.

WOS87
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
TD WOS on a nice pass.

14-0 WOS

33 seconds left til half. Their defense is tough.

Wasn't the LaMarque - WC game 0-0 at the half?

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Wasn't the LaMarque - WC game 0-0 at the half?

Yep then 3 defensive TDs in a row to open the 2nd half kinda killed WC then it just went downhill

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 08:03 PM
WC couple nice passes to get in fg range before half but its wide left. 14-0 halftime

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 08:42 PM
WC goes nowhere to open 2nd half. Mustangs drive capped by a nice pass for a TD.

Ep blocked. 20-0 WOS 6:25 3rd qtr

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 08:47 PM
3 penalties in 2 downs. Smfh.

But another nice pass gets us a 1st down

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 08:49 PM
WC wr running open deep but throwing into a stiff wind and its under thrown and picked off.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Nice run by WC. WOS too much, and that is one hell of a region.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 08:56 PM
WC int almost returned for a TD. WOS D holds at the 7 yd line.

Necks try a fg down by 20.... And it's good.

20-3 WOS. 11:56 4th qt

WOS87
11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
WOS still unscored upon in the 3rd quarter in 12 games... just barely lol

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 09:02 PM
WC D forces a 3 and out. Necks ball on own 45

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
WC qb sacked and fumble, necks recover but a big loss... Then a false start. Smh.

3rd and super long pass incomplete. 68 yd punt for a touchback. Damn

WOS87
11-23-2012, 09:07 PM
WOS will get thumped by Navasota if they play like this and even make it there

Dub-C
11-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Wish they would have gave Keese a look at QB tonite.

Dub-C
11-23-2012, 09:09 PM
WOS will get thumped by Navasota if they play like this and even make it there

It's gonna be hard for anyone to beat Navasota, IMO.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 09:12 PM
WOS just trying to milk the clock. WC gonna get the ball back again. Only 3 and a half mins left. Time to try to make the score a little more respectable

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 09:19 PM
WC TD...

20-10. 1:22 left...

Onside coming

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 09:20 PM
WC recovers the onside.... Ball on WOS 44

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
WC qb sacked and fumbled. Mustangs recover.

Victory formation for WOS. Congrats mustangs.

Thoughts on this one later when I get home.

20-10

FINAL

WOS87
11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice game West Columbia

WO-S 12-0 for the first time since their Semifinal run in 2005 where they lost to eventual State Champ Wimberley

Roughneck93
11-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Congrats on a great season Necks!

Good luck the rest of the way WO-S.

WOS87
11-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Congrats on a great season Necks!

Good luck the rest of the way WO-S.

:2thumbsup:

Thanks man.... was a tough game and with a couple of breaks at the beginning you would have had us

SintonFan
11-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Sounds like it was a good game.
Good luck WOS in the next round!
Sorry about the loss WC. :(

bobcat1
11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Congrats WOS! Awesome season Necks!

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, here we go:

WOS defense is very good, but surprisingly soft against the pass. Necks usually can't pass worth 2 cents and were pretty successful when they did try tonight, especially when you consider the necks dropped 100 yds and a TD worth of passes.

WC lost by 10 and had a missed fg and a dropped bomb for a TD.

WOS fans say they didn't play well, well neither did WC. Way too many penalties and bad snaps that screwed up drives. Im not one to make excuses though. Running game is our bread and butter and they absolutely shut it down. Their run defense was STOUT.

I have my concerns about WOS pass D. I realize they'll prepare for a week for Navasota and run a completely different defense than tonight but I think Nav is gonna light that WOS D up like a Christmas tree. Their passing game is 50X better than wc's.

WC was just a little above average this year and nowhere close to as good as they were these last 2 yrs, on top of the fact that we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.

That said, WOS was still the better team. Hard hitting good tacklers and a good offensive line. They had quite a bit of success running on us and then would spread us out and throw that quick out and let their playmakes do their thing. Necks have a really tough D and limited them about as good as anyone could hope to IMO.

The mustangs have a really solid team and COULD beat Nav, but they'll have to play much better than they did tonight. Good luck to the mustangs the rest of the way. Whoever wins the Nav/WOS game will win state IMO.

WOS87
11-23-2012, 11:09 PM
The mustangs have a really solid team and COULD beat Nav, but they'll have to play much better than they did tonight. Good luck to the mustangs the rest of the way. Whoever wins the Nav/WOS game will win state IMO.

What he said.. team was not at the top of their game tonight but we won and just barely. Still only have 42 points scored against us in 12 games. Next week Lorena and that's all we'll be focussed on for now.

griff
11-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Well, here we go:

WOS defense is very good, but surprisingly soft against the pass. Necks usually can't pass worth 2 cents and were pretty successful when they did try tonight, especially when you consider the necks dropped 100 yds and a TD worth of passes.

WC lost by 10 and had a missed fg and a dropped bomb for a TD.

WOS fans say they didn't play well, well neither did WC. Way too many penalties and bad snaps that screwed up drives. Im not one to make excuses though. Running game is our bread and butter and they absolutely shut it down. Their run defense was STOUT.

I have my concerns about WOS pass D. I realize they'll prepare for a week for Navasota and run a completely different defense than tonight but I think Nav is gonna light that WOS D up like a Christmas tree. Their passing game is 50X better than wc's.

WC was just a little above average this year and nowhere close to as good as they were these last 2 yrs, on top of the fact that we kept shooting ourselves in the foot.

That said, WOS was still the better team. Hard hitting good tacklers and a good offensive line. They had quite a bit of success running on us and then would spread us out and throw that quick out and let their playmakes do their thing. Necks have a really tough D and limited them about as good as anyone could hope to IMO.

Fair analysis. I was disappointed that when WO-S got up 20-0 with 6:25 left in the third, we just sat on the lead. We became too predictable on offense and just tried to milk the clock. To me, that was a little to early too run out the clock. We threw an INT soon after and never threw a pass the rest of the game. The wind and rain began to pick up around that time, so the coaches may have played it too safe and just ran the ball the rest of the game. The few successful pass completions by WC did not concern me. It looked like a little "prevent" pass defense. The secondary is quite fast and can cover. IF...IF...IF...we play Navasota they will be severly tested, but the secondary has been good all year. WC played hard. Good game, Roughnecks.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Fair analysis. I was disappointed that when WO-S got up 20-0 with 6:25 left in the third, we just sat on the lead. We became too predictable on offense and just tried to milk the clock. To me, that was a little to early too run out the clock. We threw an INT soon after and never threw a pass the rest of the game. The wind and rain began to pick up around that time, so the coaches may have played it too safe and just ran the ball the rest of the game. The few successful pass completions by WC did not concern me. It looked like a little "prevent" pass defense. The secondary is quite fast and can cover. IF...IF...IF...we play Navasota they will be severly tested, but the secondary has been good all year. WC played hard. Good game, Roughnecks.

This is true. While I know the Nav passing game will be a huge challenge for the WOS D, I know that the WOS d will be an equally tough challenge for the Nav offense. Nav has out-athleted their opponents thus far but they will be matched in talent against WOS.

WOS didn't play very well tonight and they still kicked our ass. They will have to play turnover free ball against Nav and pass protect better. WC got to the WOS qb way too many times and Nav has a good D as well.

I think it'll be a great game, both teams getting their biggest challenge of the year. Hopefully both of you take care of business next week and maybe I can make it to this game.

Roughneck93
11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Boxscore from chron.com...

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2012&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=162197&TeamID=172&SearchType=Teams

griff
11-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Saggy, I don't want to assume anything. That's why I emphasized, "IF...IF...IF..." about Navasota. Nothing is guaranteed or taken for granted. We have to play Lorena next, and Navasota will face LaMarque. A possible Navasota/WO-S matchup would be awesome to see, but both teams have to earn that by winning round 3 first. Again, no guarantees.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Saggy, I don't want to assume anything. That's why I emphasized, "IF...IF...IF..." about Navasota. Nothing is guaranteed or taken for granted. We have to play Lorena next, and Navasota will face LaMarque. A possible Navasota/WO-S matchup would be awesome to see, but both teams have to earn that by winning round 3 first. Again, no guarantees.

Right. I expect both of you to win, but take care of LM and Lorena then we can talk more about WOS/Nav.

I don't anticipate WOS having any problem with Lorena. I think WC > Lorena

Football fan
11-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Lol. You guys are assuming La Marque is a win for Navasota? La Marque would run circles around WOS and will be a huge battle for Navasota.

WOS87
11-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Lol. You guys are assuming La Marque is a win for Navasota? La Marque would run circles around WOS and will be a huge battle for Navasota.

There are no givens in the playoffs and may I remind you.. WOS shut out LCM, who beat Coldspring who beat LaMarque.. WOS and LaMarque have quite a history and WOS won against them in their most recent matchup so bring it on. LaMarque has the experience factor when it comes to winning the big games so no, I don't think Navasota will have a cakewalk against them at all. WOS would be happy to face LaMarque though and no way in hell would they run circles around us.

wimbo_pro
11-24-2012, 07:12 AM
There are no givens in the playoffs and may I remind you.. WOS shut out LCM, who beat Coldspring who beat LaMarque.. WOS and LaMarque have quite a history and WOS won against them in their most recent matchup so bring it on. LaMarque has the experience factor when it comes to winning the big games so no, I don't think Navasota will have a cakewalk against them at all. WOS would be happy to face LaMarque though and no way in hell would they run circles around us.

You tell 'em, WOS87! In the play offs, caution and a little fear is a good thing...LM fans seem awfully sure of themselves.

scrub c
11-24-2012, 09:44 AM
You tell 'em, WOS87! In the play offs, caution and a little fear is a good thing...LM fans seem awfully sure of themselves.
yes they do...

WOS1
11-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I saw LM play Columbia and Cold Spring last night. Defense is stout, but offense is extremely one dimensional. You LM fans are about to find out the hard way about 3A when you get to this level. "Marque" it down. They will exit next week... And run circles around WOS is funny... Had Columbia not self destructed in their game LM barely wins that game if at all.

Football fan
11-24-2012, 11:01 AM
. Had Columbia not self destructed in their game LM barely wins that game if at all.

Lol. They beat them 48-0.

And I'm not a La Marque fan.

Roughneck93
11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Mustangs send Roughnecks home

By BILLY LOVELESS | Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:00 am
CHANNELVIEW — The Columbia Roughnecks were able to score on West Orange-Stark’s highly touted defense Friday night. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough as the Mustangs earned a hard-fought, 20-10 win in a Class 3A Region III area-round game at Channelview’s Ray Maddry Memorial Stadium.
The Mustangs (12-0) scored the game’s first 20 points and held off a fourth-quarter Roughneck surge to preserve the victory.
Columbia (8-4) was only the fourth opponent who has scored on state-ranked West Orange-Stark in 12 contests this season.

“Our kids played well and I thought they gave a great effort,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “We played hard against a very good football team. They are undefeated and ranked in the top five for a reason. Our kids gave a great effort and I couldn’t be prouder of them.”

The Roughnecks finished with 169 total yards, compared to 240 for West Orange-Stark. The Mustangs Abear Simien led all rushers with 18 carries for 87 yards. Floyd Bess paced Columbia with 52 yards on 11 rushes.

Although the Roughnecks found it difficult to score against the Mustangs, they did have some opportunities that could have turned momentum in their favor.

On their first play from scrimmage, a long pass to a wide-open Roughneck receiver was dropped. After a fumble on the next play, West Orange-Stark took possession and drove 30 yards for its initial touchdown and an early 7-0 lead. The score came on a 19-yard pass from quarterback Jimmy Salter to J’Marcus Rhodes.

The Roughnecks were looking to score on their next possession as well, driving down to the Mustangs’ 17-yard line. However, a false start penalty and a sack put them out of field goal range, eventually forcing them to turn the ball over on downs.

“We had our chances early in the game, but we didn’t capitalize,” Lynch said. “We drove the ball down the field but didn’t come away with points, and against a good team like West Orange-Stark you have to come away with points.”

At the same time, Columbia’s defense was finding ways to keep West Orange-Stark from finding the end zone. After allowing the first-quarter touchdown, the Roughnecks held the Mustangs on three consecutive possessions.

The battle of field position finally became a little too big of an obstacle to overcome for Columbia, though, when West Orange-Stark drove 41 yards for a score with 33 seconds left in the half. On the big play, Salter found Quinton Tezeno from 20 yards out for the touchdown.

The Roughnecks had one more scoring opportunity before the half when Willis Johnson completed two straight passes to Jarius Kesee, moving the ball to the Mustang 18, but a 32-yard field goal attempt on the final play of the half by Greg Gomez sailed wide, leaving the deficit at 14 points.

West Orange-Stark scored on its first possession of the second half, capped by Salter’s third scoring pass of the night, to take a commanding 20-0 lead, but the Roughnecks refused to give in.

After Johnson intercepted a Salter pass and returned it to the Mustang 12, Gomez helped Columbia find the scoreboard with a 20-yard field goal on the first play of the fourth quarter.

After a couple changes of possession, the Roughnecks embarked on a 51-yard drive that closed with a 2-yard Broderick Thomas scoring plunge with 1:22 left in the game, cutting the score to 20-10.

Making everything even more interesting, Roughneck Darius Bell recovered the ensuing onsides kick. Columbia fumbled the ball away two plays later, however, allowing the Mustangs to run out the clock.

“We felt like we had a good game plan, but it was a matter of executing it,” Lynch said. “But these kids played well. And this senior class, there’s a handful of them who have been on varsity for three years, have won 33 games in three years. That’s a lot of games and it’s something to be proud of.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_6102199e-35f3-11e2-a72f-0019bb2963f4.html

WOS1
11-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Lol. They beat them 48-0.

And I'm not a La Marque fan.

If You had seen the game you would understand. It was 00 at halftime. West Columbia had four turnovers for touchdowns in the third quarter in the game just got away from them. It was much closer than the score indicates.

Saggy Aggie
11-24-2012, 06:56 PM
If You had seen the game you would understand. It was 00 at halftime. West Columbia had four turnovers for touchdowns in the third quarter in the game just got away from them. It was much closer than the score indicates.

No one else seems to understand that, but hey.. if all they wanna see is 48-0 then okay.

LHPfactory
11-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Defense is the big X-factor this time of the year.

coachc45
11-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Lamarque cannot throw the ball. They are QB dominated. If WOS can stop the run, then no contest.

Saggy Aggie
11-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Lamarque cannot throw the ball. They are QB dominated. If WOS can stop the run, then no contest.

WOS can't really throw much either. Their qb has decent passing stats but 90% of his throws are quick outs and screen passes. His 2 TD passes were both on the run. If he stayed in the pocket he either got sacked or threw a pick

coachc45
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
WOS can't really throw much either. Their qb has decent passing stats but 90% of his throws are quick outs and screen passes. His 2 TD passes were both on the run. If he stayed in the pocket he either got sacked or threw a pick

Sounds like the best defense would win. That goes to WOS. but lamarque won't get by Navasota!!

FB-fanatic
11-25-2012, 03:10 AM
So where can I get some individual stats on WOS this year?